Smaller wheels - will they ever make a comeback?

Mayhem

11 hours ago, MadVlad said:

I think there really only two possible evolution tracks of the small EUC: the first one is an actual lightweight suspension wheel. Something like an improved S18. The other evolution would be a small wheel that is easy to work on, modular construction that makes it easy to change tires, replace components etc. If one could combine both into the same wheel...

S18 isn't "lightweight" -  It's medium. :D 

I have not been on in a while, but this is the topic I have been thinking about.

I have had my 18L for about 3 years now (lighter than the 18XL), and all the new wheels from all manufacturers are getting heavier...even up towards 100 lbs (?!@#).

I would like to see an 18" wheel offering that is lighter, and has better range. I don't need the suspension, fancy displays, fire suppression....just a reliable wheel. I am now charging my wheel 2 or 3 times a week (3 times if I use it every day). So I know my batteries are suffering a bit compared to when I bought it (I was charging once a week brand new). I mainly use it to get to and from the train station, so my milage is very low,  I only have about 4,000 miles on it, so considering some kind of battery upgrade too.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

I would like to see an 18" wheel offering that is lighter, and has better range.

Maybe keep the 18L and just upgrade to 18XL batteries for greater range.

$800 with trade in on old pack.

Upgrading to 18XL battery pack - KingSong 18L

E7GgcqyS64gryNUaUXFPI6-A2oRHRxTN3wo5eQR9

12.9K subscribers

Jun 28, 2019

Want a bigger battery for your 18L? - Go here for free shipping! - http://ewheels.com/eucarmy or http://shrsl.com/16xo2

Email jason@ewheels.com to get your upgrade, $800 after trading in your old pack

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

I have not been on in a while, but this is the topic I have been thinking about.

I have had my 18L for about 3 years now (lighter than the 18XL), and all the new wheels from all manufacturers are getting heavier...even up towards 100 lbs (?!@#).

I would like to see an 18" wheel offering that is lighter, and has better range. I don't need the suspension, fancy displays, fire suppression....just a reliable wheel. I am now charging my wheel 2 or 3 times a week (3 times if I use it every day). So I know my batteries are suffering a bit compared to when I bought it (I was charging once a week brand new). I mainly use it to get to and from the train station, so my milage is very low,  I only have about 4,000 miles on it, so considering some kind of battery upgrade too.

4000 miles and saying "batteries are suffering a bit" Can't be true.. (Doh age.. So maybe could.)

Maybe you simply have started to go faster? Faster stops/starts from zero speed and such?

You need to do a "range" test. Then you will know if batteries are "suffering". If they are charging to ~84V - they are good as new. (Doh their overall cap may have lost bit.)

Charge it fully and ride till ~10% battery left. I know my 18xl with my weight going ~35km/h speed can do 55-60Km range. From 100% to 6% battery.

I charge mine also 2-3 times a week. :D And ride to train. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

@Paul A Yes, thanks for the reminder on that.

@Funky Good tips. I just fully charged it last night. I will see what is being reported in the app now. It probably IS still good as yes....I am probably going faster. I am only getting about 25 miles range until it hits 30%, and then it is unridable due to speed alerts. I have not changed my alert settings from stock either...I like not getting my battery down to 10%. I am guessing I don't have a bad pack/cell. It is a great wheel.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

@Funky Good tips. I just fully charged it last night. I will see what is being reported in the app now. It probably IS still good as yes....I am probably going faster. I am only getting about 25 miles range until it hits 30%, and then it is unridable due to speed alerts. I have not changed my alert settings from stock either...I like not getting my battery down to 10%. I am guessing I don't have a bad pack/cell. It is a great wheel.

I only once did the "range" test. I wanted to see how much i can get while the wheel is new.. Some years later i can retake the test so see the difference.

Yeah stops/starts take out most of the battery. Cruising at one constant speed is the best to get range. Slower starts may also increase range.

I normally charge mine around 50%. 25 miles on 18L might be right. What's your weight? And riding speed? I go 30-40km/h mostly. And being 280lbs doesn't help getting range. :D (I personally don't need range, i use daily 5-10km.)

Edited by Funky

@FunkyI'm 205#, and doing a 8 mile a day commute. If I can make it through the 3rd day I am usually at 20-30%. I do usually ride around 22-28mph, so upper ending it. Thanks for the confirmation. Checking to see what the ewheel prices are now, but will probably wait another year or 2 if/when I upgrade. Probably doing ok for now, and definitely don't want/need a heavier or faster wheel.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Circuitmage said:

@FunkyI'm 205#, and doing a 8 mile a day commute. If I can make it through the 3rd day I am usually at 20-30%. I do usually ride around 22-28mph, so upper ending it. Thanks for the confirmation. Checking to see what the ewheel prices are now, but will probably wait another year or 2 if/when I upgrade. Probably doing ok for now, and definitely don't want/need a heavier or faster wheel.

Same anything over 65lbs is to heavy for what i need. I could carry Sherman Max one handed.. But why.. I don't need it's range/speed.

I wan't small battery pack and 18x3" wheel. That goes ~35mph. But nah... They just keep increasing the range/speed/weight/size/price..:sleep1:

Edited by Funky

• 2 weeks later...

Alienrides best selling list for electric wheels in descending order:

(1) Master

(2) mten4

(3) V12

(4) T4

(5) S22

(6) Commander HS

(7) Master Pro 

(8) V13

Alienrides doesn't sell the Sherman-S. 

In the US market, it looks like more and more big heavy wheels are gaing serious momentum. Even the Master is 80 lbs.

But we don't see the same trend in Canada,  if we guage it by EEVEES and smartwheel.ca best sellers. 

16 hours ago, techyiam said:

(1) Master

(2) mten4

(3) V12

(4) T4

(5) S22

(6) Commander HS

(7) Master Pro 

(8) V13

Alienrides doesn't sell the Sherman-S. 

In the US market, it looks like more and more big heavy wheels are gaing serious momentum. Even the Master is 80 lbs.

But we don't see the same trend in Canada,  if we guage it by EEVEES and smartwheel.ca best sellers. 

Locally in downtown Vancouver I see more Sherman's, S22's, and V11's than anything else although I realize that's not an accurate representation of what sells more. I've seen more EB Commanders recently since Eevees put them on a steep discount.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

Locally in downtown Vancouver I see more Sherman's, S22's, and V11's than anything else although I realize that's not an accurate representation of what sells more. I've seen more EB Commanders recently since Eevees put them on a steep discount.

Where I ride, I still don't see many electric wheel riders, but I have seen V11's, V12's, Sherman's, and EX.N's.

After dark, I have rode past once a wheel with a super bright headlight. If that was not an aftermarket light, it could have been one of the newer suspension wheels.

• Like 1

Funny this came up in my feed today.  The weekend I got my first wheel... the 14" TG-T3.  It actually had good torque for the 500w motor :P

image.png.7ecfdadf6a2e8d969ca76409fa7bdac5.png

I would like to see a 15-16" successor to the KS16S, V8S, NB E+ form factor/design with a basic street suspension (single piston per side) and a 12-1500w battery pack with integrated trolley and awesome headlight max 50lbs. Basically, a(n) (sub-)urban wheel with 35mph top speed, street suspension, and adjustable-height pedals that you can ride almost all day and get 60 miles easily. 

It would be nice if manufacturers would start showing some love for this market segment. Not everybody needs/wants a Hummer-EUC.

Edit: I think the KS-16X mostly satisfies my wish list except for adjustable pedals, suspension and top speed. It has a nice look, too. 

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, litewave said:

I would like to see a 15-16" successor to the KS16S, V8S, NB E+ form factor/design with a basic street suspension (single piston per side) and a 12-1500w battery pack with integrated trolley and awesome headlight max 50lbs. Basically, a(n) (sub-)urban wheel with 35mph top speed, street suspension, and adjustable-height pedals that you can ride almost all day and get 60 miles easily. 

It would be nice if manufacturers would start showing some love for this market segment. Not everybody needs/wants a Hummer-EUC.

Edit: I think the KS-16X mostly satisfies my wish list except for adjustable pedals, suspension and top speed. It has a nice look, too. 

Aren't height adjustable pedals kinda bad? They usually are fastened onto wheel with 4-6x bolts. I have seen them coming loose, or bolts themselves getting bent, snapped off.

Everything else you said spot on. :thumbup: (Aside from suspension - but that's more on me, because i don't really want it.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, litewave said:

Yeah just 5mph more would make it the perfect wheel for me.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, eevees said:

Chiming in here... I know Veteran is working on a new wheel that could be announced next month. I believe it will be a smaller one but not sure if that means Mten4 small, V8F small, or 16X small... looking forward to finding out more though. Once we know more we'll announce it on our YouTube channel

excited for my Veteran Bonaparte

If Leaper Kim want to stick to naming the Veteran range after USA tanks then a 16" suspension wheel (which would be great to see from them BTW) should have a good name and I'd be very disappointed if it wasn't called the Veteran Hellcat.  I've played a few hours (maybe more than a few) of World of Tanks and the Hellcat is definitely one of my favourite tanks, small & fast and packs a pretty good punch - perfect name for a 16" wheel IMO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KiwiMark said:

If Leaper Kim want to stick to naming the Veteran range after USA tanks then a 16" suspension wheel (which would be great to see from them BTW) should have a good name and I'd be very disappointed if it wasn't called the Veteran Hellcat.  I've played a few hours (maybe more than a few) of World of Tanks and the Hellcat is definitely one of my favourite tanks, small & fast and packs a pretty good punch - perfect name for a 16" wheel IMO.

Stuart comes to mind then. :D 

Walker Bulldog.

Heck even Pershing, Wolverine, Jackson - there's many names.

Edited by Funky

On 12/25/2022 at 6:34 AM, techyiam said:

For all we know this "best selling" sorting option on their site is be a marketing gimmick. Furthermore, they only have a limited selection of wheels, mostly selling heavy ones. No V8 series, no V10,V11, Kingsong represented only by the S22. So I doubt this bestseller list can be used to understand the market, even in the US (although I do agree it seems that US gravitates towards heavier models, just like they do with cars)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, yoos said:

For all we know this "best selling" sorting option on their site is be a marketing gimmick. Furthermore, they only have a limited selection of wheels, mostly selling heavy ones. No V8 series, no V10,V11, Kingsong represented only by the S22. So I doubt this bestseller list can be used to understand the market, even in the US...

"Best selling sorting option is a marketing gimmick" has never been proven to be true.

EVEES have said publically that they have culled back models that don't sell well. EEVEES used to carry many models. The demo wheels are probably still at their shop.

And this certainly sounds reasonable.

Alienrides carry more models too before.

Revrides owner recently said in a Facebook post that Begode wheels are among the best sellers in California. 

I noticed Begode wheels don't sell that well at EEVEES.

eWheels sells plenty of wheels. But on their website, they don't have the "best seller sorting" feature. 

But based on online chatter, people are buying big wheels. And I don't see any small wheels in the wild around here. The only exception is the mten3. I have seen a family riding electric wheels with their preschooler on a mten3.

Personally, I come to realize that my Abrams is more to my liking, even to just ride around my neighborhood, or for commuting than my V12. (I don't really ride my T3 anymore.) That was a complete surprise to me, since I am not big, nor heavy.

After added four capacitors to the controller, the Abrams is very responsive. It doesn't take much additional effort than my V12 to accelerate or brake. There is the additional inertia and gyro, but with the right technique, it is agile at speed too. And I am only using the stock pads. The Abrams weighs 97 lbs. At the time of review, Denis Hagov said that the Abrams has the heaviest motor.

LeaperKim did their homework. Knowing that the Abrams uses a 22" wheel, they made the wheel taller and placed the power pads at the top for maximum leverage. They also placed a lift handle at the front so it can be used to assist braking. I don't need to pull back on the handle, I just use it to keep me in balance when I brake.

The Abrams feels more premium, and refined than my V12. The motor is quieter and smoother (in other words, it's very quiet and very smooth. That wasn't how it was out of the box.). The Abrams tracks better and feels more planted. But it rides very similarly to my V12. In contrast, the 50 lbs. T3 feels like a toy. Don't get me wrong, I really like my V12, but I can't deny how good the Abrams is, to me.

Bradley at EEVEES said he still likes the Abrams in their Sherman-S teardown video. Kevin at e-rides owns an Abrams, and he thinks highly of the Abrams. Madpack gave a glowing review on the Abrams and rank it and his V12 as his favorite wheels. 

These riders are not particularly big, Madpack not particularly big nor heavy. Yet they like this heavy wheel.

For me, owning the Abrams was an eye opener.

(If we can borrow from the automotive world, my T3 is like a Chevrolet Cavalier, my V12 is like the Mini Cooper S, and my Abrams is like an Audi S4. The S4 may be a heavy car, but it has moves, and is fun to drive, but feels premium and refined.)  🙂

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2