eWheels S22

gon2fast

yeah, that works, but take some dawn dish soap and mix with water like 25% dawn to water. take a small paint brush and soap the sidewalls good while deflated. 

the dawn soap will be the lubricant so the tire finds its correct position on the rim while u massage it. nbd.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, novazeus said:

yeah, that works, but take some dawn dish soap and mix with water like 25% dawn to water. take a small paint brush and soap the sidewalls good while deflated. 

the dawn soap will be the lubricant so the tire finds its correct position on the rim while u massage it. nbd.

I did that. The tire seated fine, but on one wheel, the tire kept slipping around the rim putting stress on the valve stem.

Now, I just wet both beads and rim, and inflate a little at a time. Inbetween inflations, I use my fingers to pull the beads off the rim, all the way around. As the tire pressure builds, it gets harder and harder to do. Then, I just inflate to the desired tire pressure. This has worked for me.

The other thing is I clean the rim where the beads sit, very well. I also make sure the tire beads are good, and that they are clean. 

• Like 2

u gotta let it dry. the soap becomes like glue.

3 minutes ago, techyiam said:

I did that. The tire seated fine, but on one wheel, the tire kept slipping around the rim putting stress on the valve stem.

Now, I just wet both beads and rim, and inflate a little at a time. Inbetween inflations, I use my fingers to pull the beads off the rim, all the way around. As the tire pressure builds, it gets harder and harder to do. Then, I just inflate to the desired tire pressure. This has worked for me.

The other thing is I clean the rim where the beads sit, very well. I also make sure the tire beads are good, and that they are clean. 

1 hour ago, novazeus said:

u gotta let it dry. the soap becomes like glue.

Not in my case with my V12. My T3 was fine though.

After a week plus, it still slipped. I had to wash out all the dish soap to fix it.

What I experienced is that there are times when it will not work because it slips. 

I find myself in this position a lot - after dark at a gas station far from home pounding an energy drink prepping for the second leg of the journey... the good life.

image.jpg

Edited by gon2fast

• 3 weeks later...

Got taken out by mud getting jammed in the fender. Not taken out as in a crash, but left stuck miles from my base with a 80lb paper weight. I was in Antioch for work and departed on a late lunch run. I was heading back to the campus I working at and got run off of the path by a bunch of teenagers doing what they do LOL. Anyway, the dirt looked decently packed and not saturated so I was not too concerned with having to divert. I carved and hit the dirt and immediately knew I was in big trouble. The tire was instantly caked so I hopped off before I blew the board (thank goodness). The tire was completely stuck as it was the most tacky clay I have ever experienced. Long story short, I thought that I had blown a mosfet because the motor was not rotating, I am roughly 1/4 mile from the main road on a steep hill and I am on a lunch break and expected to be back at work soon... chit. No tools or backpack (a pen would have come in very handy) so I start looking for sticks and rocks to start removing the clay in hopes that I could get it rolling. I cleared enough clay to get the motor spinning very roughly so I was able to force it down the hill. At the base of the hill I resumed working with sticks and rocks to clear as much clay as possible. That effort was pretty much hopeless considering how much clay was lodged in the fender and on the tire... time for plan B. There were a bunch of sketchy kids and transients hanging around so I could not stash the wheel and go grab my car. I don't do ride sharing so I called a cab. Spoke with the service and said that I also needed to bring a scooter like device with me. Hard no, but I explained that it was actually a single wheel and could easily take the place of a second passenger and that he could charge me for the second seat. He agreed, but I still had to carry the wheel a eighth of a mile to the parking lot to meet him. Once I got the parking lot it started raining, but I really did not give a chit LOL. Got loaded up and then we proceeded to the debate over payment. $15 for a 3 mile trip down the road... Fine by me as I had no other options and I needed to get back to work ASAP. He wanted cash which I did not have, but I stated that I could run into the hospital (my destination) and grab $20 from the ATM. He then asked if I could put gas in his car instead and I said heck yeah. Got the wheel in trunk of my car and went back to work. Got home and spent 2 hours scraping clay out the fender and tire with a variety of tools. Wheel seems to be fine now that the motor is spinning, but I still have some clay in the fender that i need to get out before I can ride it again. Going to drop th emotor with the controller still connected to scrape out the remaining clay. 

Crap situation, but it could have been worse and lessons were learned....

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Yikes, that's an adventure! If it's raining or you have access to water AND are good at controlling free spin (lots of ifs), I've had good luck slowly freespinning the tire in a bit of water. Makes a mess but works pretty well. However, given how straightforward it is to drop the motor, a motor drop and proper clean is probably a much better idea!

• Like 1

Back in business. Combination of manually scraping the crap out and utilizing the puddles from a fresh downpour seems to have resolved the issue. When I get some time off from work I will do a proper cleaning/service and drop the motor. 

• Like 2

I found me some mud today... your tale was a warning: get off, now. So I did the slip and slide while pushing the oompaloompa and no harm done. Found a big giant puddle to ride through, and stomp in like a 2 year old to clean the boots (now that was fun!). Then the hose to clean everything off... I think it'll be alright.

First time I've had it in the dirty, I'm still waiting for a replacement no-stator-slip motor and haven't wanted to stress the existing one. Realized that I'm way out of shape for the dirt, there will be a lot of work to do come spring.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

I decided to hit a local trail on the way back from a site visit (the same place that gummed up my S22 last week... it stayed in the car this time around). Being a ignoramus, I did not factor that today is only the second dry day post two huge storms this week. The trail was soup... maybe chili. I decided to keep trekking along as knew I was not riding in clay, but I did walk the wheel through several sections where the mud looked deep. I crept along and eventually made it to the exit without issue. Very uneventful, but I did have a good laugh with a hiker. As she let me pass by I told her to keep an eye on me because I was most likely going to end up on my ass in the mud. Wheel got soaked so I had to pull my emergency blanket from the trunk and used it in the back seat so I could keep the wheel vertical for the ride home. Many lessons learned were applied today LOL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jkay said:

Well, experience is something you gain, right after you need it!  

Kind of dicey on a EUC, but so true!

I tell my kids that some lessons are best learned the hard way... I practice this theory a lot!

I fell in the mud trying to host a conference call while putting around on my MSP, no lessons have been learned. 

Today's adventure has me riding my S22 top the local bike shop with my MTen3 in a backpack to see if I can get that the garbage tubeless configuration to work again.

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

to see if I can get that the garbage tubeless configuration to work again.

my MTen3 tubeless tire required RideOn sealant to hold air (any sealant will probably work, my leak was slowish—took 2-3 days to go flat flat). Been solid since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tawpie said:

(any sealant will probably work, my leak was slowish—took 2-3 days to go flat flat)

Awesome! The inner rim is clean so sealant was ever applied (low mileage CL find). I have some Vittoria universal sealant that I have been hesitant to apply, but I will give it a go tomorrow.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

Awesome! The inner rim is clean so sealant was ever applied (low mileage CL find). I have some Vittoria universal sealant that I have been hesitant to apply, but I will give it a go tomorrow.

It'll make a tire change messy, I'm not looking forward to that. But pumping the tire every time I wanted to ride got old right quick like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

If that is instant Ramen noodles, I can save up for a new wheel too then.

I want a new wheel too, but I am not paying 4K+. These devices are not worth that the current way that they are built (and the added battery boom boom issue). I really need to follow up on my wish for my next vehicle to be a Zero FX. The dirtbike with the crap carb in the shed is calling me too... though I do not need broken bones right now so F that LOL.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

image.jpg

Day 1 of trail riding season 2023 and I wrecked myself... The S22 kicked the chit out of all of the terrain (minus hill climbs) and took the spill without a scratch. 

You are ok, correct? I'm a bit envious that you're already able to get started on spring training. I think we're still 6 weeks away from that up here in the wet country.

• Like 1