eWheels S22

gon2fast

I was cleaning out the guides and backed my compression knob out a tad too far earlier. It was stuck at the softest setting which was not acceptable. I have broken enough items to know not to try and strong arm it or worse, get a tool. The fix was to spray the knob with some lubricant and let it set in. After two applications it started to turn with ease. No lockout is a deal breaker for me.

I spend a good amount of time riding seated on this wheel. It is such a joy. At night I ride seated with a flashlight in one hand and my hand on the power button to kill the lights to stop blinding people (I only ride seated on protected paths*). 

*Other than off-road

image.jpg

11 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I envy your tire mounting skills LOL.

That's funny, I use to struggle with tire changes until I realized I was doing it totally wrong. Tools are only needed when unmounting and just to bring the tire bead over the rim. Everything else just requires force to finish unmounting or remounting. The trick for remounting is to squeeze the beads into the center of the rim on the opposite end then force the other side over the rim.  Voila!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It was a bit chilly this morning. I ran out to get soup, which ended up being lukewarm, as that sounded nice on a cold day. Took the S22 and immediately had issues. The suspension was not functioning normally. Really "gummy" and non-responsive. It felt like nothing changed between locked out and 2-3 clicks softer.  I feared that I was now experiencing the slider issues. I found a bit of rough trail to gauge the difference between the settings. I did feel a considerable difference when on the softer setting so I went about my business. Long story short, I think the cold weather affected the suspension because once it warmed up a bit everything was back to normal. I will spray some lubricant in guides before I leave tomorrow and see if that helps.

Quality Check

No motor noises or slips

Suspension is fully functional and silent - has not received a real service yet (900-1000 miles)

No issues with the MB, no errors

First charger failed after 30 cycles; 2nd charger doing good and still silent

Slack in the pedals in the up position after 500 miles. Grub screw does not seem to control/affect this slack. Currently slack is gone (probably aided by dirt/debris)

Tire seems to be wearing faster than the 262, but it will easily last another 1k

Torque and low end acceleration is there, but you have to mash on the pedals hard (I am 260lbs, I can see why lighter riders do not like this wheel). I actually prefer this to instant full power I get from my MSP_HT 

Not the best wheel to run errands with (go in businesses) . It is wide and tall and the trolley handle does not lock (it clicks though!). 

20-25 mile per charge going above 25MPH / 35-40 mile per charge going 20MPH and below - pretty consistent with my MSP

Awesome for seated riding. Transitions are super easy since it is so tall and square on top.

I love this wheel so far, but I am going to move on my next wheel soon because I want more distance per charge (EX30). 

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was running errands today. 50lb backpack from Costco sucked, but the line for the gas pumps certainly looked worse. I set out on another trip for additional items and was heading towards my normal bike path. I was cruising down a street in the bike lane and sensed something behind me. I looked back and saw some jackass hanging out of a car trying to grab me or my backpack for fun. Needless to say they sped off once I looked back. I caught them at the next intersection, but they had the windows up. Made eye contact with jackass, but this idiot was still gloating so the chase was on. Got backed up an intersection and the car turned into a neighborhood. Was not going to mess with idiots at their residence so I got hell out of dodge. 

This shit is fun, but be prepared for the worse. I know some will scold me for pursuing, but I am not going to be bullied and had he got hold of me I could have been yanked down into traffic. Sorry, very negative, but I stand my ground as I am just minding my business not hurting anyone.

Edited by gon2fast
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/17/2022 at 1:25 AM, gon2fast said:

I was running errands today. 50lb backpack from Costco sucked, but the line for the gas pumps certainly looked worse. I set out on another trip for additional items and was heading towards my normal bike path. I was cruising down a street in the bike lane and sensed something behind me. I looked back and saw some jackass hanging out of a car trying to grab me or my backpack for fun. Needless to say they sped off once I looked back. I caught them at the next intersection, but they had the windows up. Made eye contact with jackass, but this idiot was still gloating so the chase was on. Got backed up an intersection and the car turned into a neighborhood. Was not going to mess with idiots at their residence so I got hell out of dodge. 

This shit is fun, but be prepared for the worse. I know some will scold me for pursuing, but I am not going to be bullied and had he got hold of me I could have been yanked down into traffic. Sorry, very negative, but I stand my ground as I am just minding my business not hurting anyone.

Yikes, you could have been badly hurt. Glad your spidey-sense picked them up on radar just in time.

I haven't seen anyone mount an actioncam on the rear of a helmet, but I bet that would deter most jackasses if easy to recognize. It doesn't really need to be turned on or even work. I know that wearing a front-facing Insta Go2 or Pocket2 causes drivers to fly right and yield the right of way.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, litewave said:

Yikes, you could have been badly hurt.

Yeah, that was the trigger for my pursuit, as foolish as it was. I have to get over the idea that grown men fighting in the street actually proves anything other than raw ignorance. A good run is better than a bad stay anyday. 

My Wife has been harping on me for years to get a camera for security purposes. I have  little one that I got from that river store, but I would have to announce that it is a camera for anybody to notice it because it is so small.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

I love these foam brushes for the sliders -

This is a really good idea! I get a lot of stuff for EUC at Home Depot as well lol :DMy suspension is pretty bad at the moment and hardly works at all wonder of this will help a little?

I clean the debris out with a different tool and then use the foam brush to lubricate the slides (Everything intact)  . I am not a fan of spraying/dumping a bunch of product into the channel, plus it was virtually impossible to coat all of the inner surface with my other tool. The foam brush covers all of the inner surface and catches debris I missed with the other tool... and tremendously speeds up the process.

• Like 2

While I was dicking around with the foam brush earlier I extracted a small silver screw from my left slide. I was on the way out so I did a quick visual check for potential issues concerning a missing screw and saw nothing out of the norm so I trekked on. After taking the wheel out for a second trip post screw discovery I noticed that my trolley handle felt more janky than usual. Got back home and watched the long fingernail man assembly video and saw the screw when he was attaching the trolley handle. 

One of the tiny screws that holds the handle together dislodged and ended up in the left slide. 

Fun times while running errands earlier this morning. Went into a large store ,walfart or something like that, which I had been in several times before with S22 with no issue. While in the middle of the store, away from automatic doors and other blatant sensors, my wheel started to do the slow dip forward. Having been through this several times with my Sherman I calmly restarted the wheel and went about my business. I did find it a bit odd that I was not near a door, but I was more focused on how to conceal the tampons I was instructed to purchase LOL. Anyway, got the item and as I was making my way towards the registers it started dipping again. This time around I pulled the rear lever to kill the motor in hopes that would reset the wheel. Hard no, the bastard started dipping back when I re-engaged the lever. At that point I said F-IT and drug it powered off.  Next time that I have to go to that store I am going to throw the S22 in a shopping cart and not deal with it. 

I must be blessed if these are the things that stress me LOL.

• Like 2

I always charge to 100% between outings. In addition I monitor the charging cycles pretty closely, but the current charger they are shipping with does not seem to have a trickle mode so balancing is little to none. I suspect an employee(s) may have been using the device to scan the shelves to re-order items and my board was affected. 

2 hours ago, gon2fast said:

I always charge to 100% between outings. In addition I monitor the charging cycles pretty closely, but the current charger they are shipping with does not seem to have a trickle mode so balancing is little to none. I suspect an employee(s) may have been using the device to scan the shelves to re-order items and my board was affected. 

There was a BMS firmware update that improved or fixed balancing... 2.14 I believe. I think the BMS is on 2.15 now.

7 hours ago, gon2fast said:

the bastard started dipping back

I have no idea if it applies at all, but I did the "what happens if I run the battery on my S18 all the way down to walk" test and it would slowly go full backwards tilt when I was walking it forward... walk it backwards and it would tilt full forwards.

I wonder if something in the store made your BMS think the battery was exhausted?

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

I wonder if something in the store made your BMS think the battery was exhausted

Do not think that the BMS would cause the pedals to tilt forward?

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

There was a BMS firmware update that improved or fixed balancing... 2.14 I believe. I think the BMS is on 2.15 now.

I keep seeing a very generic alert that does not state what type of update it is. I did see the note about correcting the "0 Cycle" issue, but I am very hesitant to move forward with updates without getting feedback from the Forums LOL.

Another issue - came back from a trip and attached the charger to the wheel. After a few minutes I came back and noticed that wheel was off and the charger was displaying green. I knew that i had burned through a couple of bars so I checked to make sure that the connector was properly seated. It was firmly attached so I unplugged it and plugged it back in with no change. I powered the wheel on to make sure I the board was still functional and everything was working fine. I changed the to the other connector and the charger was still green. Wheel is now turned off so I pull the power cord on the charger and plug it back in. Now the wheel starts charging.

Maybe there is something going on with my BMS, good call.

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Do not think that the BMS would cause the pedals to tilt forward?

When I was at dead battery (remember this was an S18 so it's not the same, but I would expect similar behavior) the slightest backwards movement from standstill made it tilt forward. It's like it said: voltage has already gone too low, any motion and I'm going to tilt the opposite way.

The slow tilt is KS signature "your are not riding me anymore until you charge me up" behavior... at least on my 16X and S18. But it could be totally unrelated. Maybe it decided there were insufficient products in your store with "made in china" stickers and objected to being dragged in there?

Folks on the TG chat and some of the locals have moved to BMS 2.15 without issue. 2.14 was fine as well and allowed cell balancing (blue color in the app) whereas earlier BMS versions generally didn't turn blue. Not that I recommend upgrading without cause... I do it myself but don't recommend it to others!

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1