eWheels S22

gon2fast

Yeah so... User error 100%. Trail ride went great. I thought that MSP_HT was the off road king, but no SIr. It has the S22 on climbing, but that is it. I was able to climb, but slow and controlled, whereas with the MSP you gun it up walls if you can hold on. Anyway, very happy with the S22 on the trails. As I was heading out of the park to get back to my car I was riding seated on a cement path. When you get to the exit it dumps you down a little downgrade right into a 3 way stop light intersection. Usually the gate is closed so you have to creep around the barriers to get in/out. Today it was open so I decided I was going to continue through the gate and hook a hard right onto the sidewalk. I had a second thought and felt it may be too risky to take the blind corner seated in the case that someone may be around the corner out of view. I decided that I would stand up and slow down before I got to the sidewalk to be safer. When I transitioned to seated position I hanging a bit far back on the seat. I didn't correct myself because I was riding my Sherman seated earlier in the day and it is a very similar effect so it was not bothering me... I also thought to myself that I had not brought enough gear, but F-it.

When I went to transition to standing I was already on the downgrade probably going around 10-13mph. When I stood up things went haywire. The first thing I thought to do once standing was hit the brakes. I lent back a bit and it felt like the wheel was continuing to accelerate. I have been in this game long enough to know that a good bail is better than a bad stay. Probably within a second I knew it was hopeless so I let go and fell back off of the wheel. I figure that if you aware of what is happening during a crash you have 1-2 seconds to brace, posture or whatever. In this case I had to take into consideration that my S22 may continue to roll into traffic and cause a epic world of hell for me and probably repercussions for the other riders in the area. I thrusted my upper torso forward and push tackled the wheel down, but it left no time to brace for the impact. I took a chunk out of my knee from the impact/slide and banged the crap out of my foot. 

Chit happens, was back on the wheel hating life 30 minutes later. I had a t-shirt in my backpack so I was able to make a brace and keep pressure on it which let me ride another 15 miles and finish my errands. Wife is not happy. I even drew her a picture to help her better understand (and not focus on how I injure myself before every trip we take LOL). 

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Swelling has gone down and the wound has sealed itself up so all good with the knee. Now dealing with the foot injuries and my hyperextended right hip. Hip injury was pure tomfoolery - I slipped while transitioning from the driveway to the lawn in a downpour (wrong shoes).

I got a good amount of miles in on the MSP_T while in Santa Cruz. There were a lot of hills and steps (transitioning between two hotels) so the S22 or Sherm would have been hell. I was expecting to see a bunch of Onewheels, but I only saw one. I did see a handful of people on Sur-Rons which was kind of cool since they are highly frowned upon by law enforcement in my parts.

Anyway, super rainy today so only took the S22 to the local market when it lightened up a bit. I did finally get around to adding grip tape to the stock pedals. Have not had a chance to ride on them yet, but my slippery (hip injuring LOL) shoes were locked in. Normally they slide around stock pedals. I used a standard bic pen without the insert to punch the pegs through so the tape stuck flat before trimming. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

14 hours ago, Forwardnbak said:

That is an excellent picture.

Thank You very much, but my Wife did not agree. She was questioning how I received injuries on the top of my foot while falling backwards. 

"What difference does it make?" was not an acceptable response so I offered to draw a picture LOL.

No complaints though, I can see the concern under the snark LOL.

On 3/20/2023 at 11:29 AM, Forwardnbak said:

That is an excellent picture.

I couldn’t decide whether the guy in the picture was so much in love with the wheel that them was rushing to hug it, or if them was trying to strangle the wheel dead…

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I received my first alert from the wheel earlier this week. I was riding faster than normal around town and had gotten down to about 30% charge. I was going about 32MPH with 3 bars left heading home. I got to a stop light and noticed that I had a message from the KS application. 10% warning from pack 1. I looked down and noticed that I was down to 1 bar. I started to slowly ride the wheel back to the house which was about a 1/4 of mile from where I was at. While rolling I checked the app and noticed that I was back to 30% and it was showing 3 bars on the wheel again. I generally do not ride without 50% charge so I am not to concerned (probably some sag), but it was weird behavior to be stuck at 10%/ 1 bar with no load post alarm.   

On a side note, the griptape is holding well and improves grip tremendously (so much that I need to do the same for my Chicways on the Sherman).

image.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gon2fast said:

10% warning from pack 1.

Whenever you get any kind of battery related warning or strange behavior, the first thing to do is to take screenshots of all the pack and cell voltages.

There’s not much that can be done to guess what the cause for the sudden sag could’ve been, but with actual voltage values from that specific time, we could tell you right away whether there is or isn’t an issue that would be a cause for concern.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Whenever you get any kind of battery related warning or strange behavior, the first thing to do is to take screenshots of all the pack and cell voltages

I would never think to do that because I rarely ride connected to apps (not a valid excuse as I had a phone in my hand SMH). Because I had run the battery down I decided to monitor things with the app on that particular day. When I saw the alarm I was more concerned about slowing down and limping home because I had a non-eventful low charge/voltage situation shortly after receiving the wheel. I was riding in the 20's on 1-2 bars and no alarms. When it got to a single bar I threw in the towel and sat until the next train came along. Low 30's with 3 bars was probably around the ceiling. Does not explain why one pack would take a bigger hit than the other (or maybe I am a dumbass with electronics and it did what it was supposed to do, IDK). 

I am 260lbs so I try to stay away from the bottom of the battery. I think that I was dealing with some post crash machismo issues that day.

Edited by gon2fast
no excuses

On 3/29/2023 at 4:25 PM, gon2fast said:

I received my first alert from the wheel earlier this week. I was riding faster than normal around town and had gotten down to about 30% charge. I was going about 32MPH with 3 bars left heading home. I got to a stop light and noticed that I had a message from the KS application. 10% warning from pack 1. I looked down and noticed that I was down to 1 bar. I started to slowly ride the wheel back to the house which was about a 1/4 of mile from where I was at. While rolling I checked the app and noticed that I was back to 30% and it was showing 3 bars on the wheel again. I generally do not ride without 50% charge so I am not to concerned (probably some sag), but it was weird behavior to be stuck at 10%/ 1 bar with no load post alarm.   

On a side note, the griptape is holding well and improves grip tremendously (so much that I need to do the same for my Chicways on the Sherman).

image.jpg

What are your DIY pads made from and where to buy?

On 3/21/2023 at 7:09 AM, mrelwood said:

I couldn’t decide whether the guy in the picture was so much in love with the wheel that them was rushing to hug it, or if them was trying to strangle the wheel dead…

Definitely a love move. Come on, you know we all do it at some point - hug and kiss your wheel, maybe fondle it a bit. :innocent1:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, litewave said:

What are your DIY pads made from and where to buy?

Surf board stomp pads which I found on Amazon for rather cheap. I have them on all of my wheels except for my Sherman which is running the stock pads (more so to protect the packs rather than for performance).

https://www.amazon.com/Abahub-Surfboard-Traction-Skimboards-Boards/dp/B07QDN29PR/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=1LXGTHWG5ZK2P&keywords=surf+stomp+pad&qid=1680318884&sprefix=surf+stomp%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEySjZQS1JSQ1hGWUpBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDAyNTg4MjcyOTBJMk1GV1dCRSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTYzMzYyMUFWRTkwTzgzVlY1NyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Like 2

3 hours ago, litewave said:

hug and kiss your wheel, maybe fondle it a bit.

I am more like the stressed out parent screaming at my wheel to quit shifting around when I am taking corners in the car... it is pathetic LOL.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.jpg

This is what a 25MPH cutout will get you with a S22. Wheel is fine minus a broken, but still intact, front handle. My injuries... the list is long and I am pissed as I was well under the performance ceiling when this happened. Phuking KS... Your wheel did great post crash, but I got destroyed within the limits of normal operation.

• Sad 4

Morning - still licking my wounds, but walking around doing chores so I think that the wheel and my jacket took the brunt of it, but in all honesty, I can't remember much past watching wheel fall forward post bump and then coming back to when the S22 used my lower torso as a stopper.

S - 

I was riding flat fire roads yesterday evening while waiting for a food order. There are some ruts from the dirtbikes and a couple of lingering mud puddles, but nothing extreme though. I was riding around for a good 15-20 minutes at moderate speeds (20-25MPH) and decided to head back to the car. Once again, I was going around 25MPH and started to come upon a divet I have ridden over many times at speed. I hit it without much thought and had enough time to look down to see the wheel fall forward and disappear. Hit the ground and ended up roughly 45 yards from the divet. When I opened my eyes my wheel came crashing into my side before I could even curse the situation. I layed on the ground moaning for a good 10 minutes and then peeled myself off of the ground. The motor was still spinning so I felt good about not having to drag the bastard off of the trail in a injured state. it powered on and I rode it out to the car. Injury-wise, a little road rash on my left palm, laceration on my left flank from where the wheel struck me, scraped up knee and a sore lower back. 

B -

The wheel should have been able to take that minor hit 25MPH. I was 1 bar down so somewhere around 70-80% charged. I was messing around last week creeping through some large tree roots and had a similar situation. I was making my way across a series of roots and was bouncing and after one hit I felt the wheel dip forward, but it caught itself and I rode it out. I did not put much thought into it other than maybe while bouncing the tire hit another root which may have pulled it forward (just a guess).   

A -

No assessment at this point in time other than it should not have happened at the speed I was going with almost fully charged packs. Not sure that a root cause will be found for this mishap.

R -

I recommend being careful with riding the S22 (does not apply to pro) at moderate/high speeds through rough terrains. This was probably a random act of nature so do not take this recommendation as anything accept personal opinion. 

• Thanks 1

Are you still sporting the original controller? This definitely shouldn't have happened and glad to hear you are ok. Suspension should have prevented an over lean in this case.

The wheel is dead. I was testing the wheel post charging and was cruising around at 15MPH. Once again the phuker dumped me (in the street into oncoming traffic), but it is very clear that the board took a dump this time as there is major resistance when trying to spin the motor and it no longer powers on. Still, no good reason for such a failure. Replacement parts have been requested and the wheel will be sold once it is running condition again.

It was a great wheel... 

4 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

Are you still sporting the original controller

I was until a short while ago LOL.

no value at this point in time, but I went back to the crime scene (from yesterday) and took some pictures -

This is the straight away I was riding. The areas with the grass on the trail is where I was ejected -
image.jpg

Opposite direction (the direction I was travelling )-

image.jpg

This is the actual divet, it was very hard to image as itr is so subtle - 

image.jpg

As you can see it formed by run off from a drainage pipe from the property next to the trail - 

image.jpg

I hit a bump and the wheel cut, but it seems like my failing board may have been the culprit. 

Edited by gon2fast

Replacement parts set to ship tomorrow under warranty. Jason/eWheels have come through again. I know who I am buying my next wheel/parts from.  

I hate to give KS credit, but this is the damage after a 20+MPH cutout on hard pack clay followed by a 15MPH cutout on asphalt (front handle broke off after the second crash)-

damage.jpg

Board is toast, but that seems to be the cause of all my fun this past weekend LOL.

I rode the 16X and MSP today, life goes on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...