eWheels S22

gon2fast

Two questions

1 the screw holes on the front of the battery casings, is there any risk of damage if water/dirt gets in there? Was thinking about putting some tape over them, but if it is not a threat then so be it -

image.jpg

2. I forgot the second question.... now I remember. Has anyone else experienced the mud guard making contact with the stock tire? 

Edited by gon2fast

36 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

the screw holes on the front of the battery casings, is there any risk of damage if water/dirt gets in there?

No. On the other side is just the pedal hanger, except there is no threaded hole there. Water getting through would just hit the hanger and drain out of the bottom due to gravity. 

Edited by techyiam

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

2. I forgot the second question.... now I remember. Has anyone else experienced the mud guard making contact with the stock tire? 

I would check your tire pressure.

I experienced my first pedal tilt due to over torque at the local bike park today. I figured doing some table top jumps would substitute the "spin and drop test". I was going into a jump and over torqued resulting in pedal tilt. A bit scary but luckily kept my balance still stuck the landing. I also hit just short of a mound I should have pumped through and even though I came to an abrupt stop, the suspension just soaked it up and then crawled over it. My S18 would have cut out for sure.

I'm staring to slowly gain confidence in my motor. :clap3:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

I would check your tire pressure.

40psi.

I am still keeping it below 25mph, but no grunts or recent pedal dips. I have been a bit more aggressive with accelerating, but not going overboard. I found my ideal street and dirt settings on the suspension. It is a big upgrade over my V11 to be able to fine tune the suspension on the fly. While waiting for a train I did some slow speed climbing on a moderately steep hill mainly consisting of mounds of loose dirt. The S22 ate it up without issue at creeping speed. Interestingly, on a much less steep embankment the motor started moaning when I turned the wheel a little bit. On the steeper hill I was going straight up and the motor was silent.

300 miles in and going strong... just very slowly.

No clunks or other issues with the motor. Though I am not going above 25mph the motor has been tested on very rough terrain requiring a lot of low end torque and it has held up well. To clarify, I am referring to slow crawls across supper rutted out cow fields, slow incline crawls, etc.

Suspension has performed very well too. I cleaned the bulk of the grease out on day one and have been chipping away with cotton swabs every day. No noises. The only sticking I have is at the top when it is fully extended. Not to concerned since I am past that point via sag when I am riding.

Build quality is the best I have seen to date. It has hit the floor, been through all kinds of off road terrain and still looks brand new (if i cleaned it that is LOL).

Battery life is decent. Very much on par with my 1800wh MSP. I fear once the new motor is installed and I start to push it the mileage per charge is going to significantly drop.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

Sad but relieved to report my S22 suffered the stator slippage and blown MB this past Saturday while making an S22 premier video for my YouTube channel.

Had to deal with a brick of a wheel for the 4.5 miles back to the car. Ended up stashing the wheel in the forest to be picked up the next day with my S18.

Video to come soon. :efee6b18f3:

Ooof! That is too bad. I’m glad you are ok, though. 

6 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

Sad but relieved to report my S22 suffered the stator slippage and blown MB this past Saturday while making an S22 premier video for my YouTube channel.

Had to deal with a brick of a wheel for the 4.5 miles back to the car. Ended up stashing the wheel in the forest to be picked up the next day with my S18.

Video to come soon. :efee6b18f3:

OH NO. Are you eligible for one of the 100 air shipped motors now?

Edited by gon2fast

Still riding my S22, but 5Cauac"s situation has me a bit paranoid.

On a side not for the folks talking bad about the S22 suspension

image.jpg

it is hard to show the scale of things, but long story short... or maybe short story short.

Anyway, this is an area where I usually take my MSP to climb and thrash around. I was able to baby the S22 up one of these hills and came down hill not knowing that there was a huge hole mid way down. it is around a 2.5-3 foot drop which I would not do on a EUC. At that moment I was going too fast and opted not brake hard in fear of ejecting myself off of the back of the wheel so I rode it out. 

I did the drop smooth as butter. The suspension on this wheel kicks ass.

Had I been on a non-suspended wheel I would have bailed and watched my wheel tumble (replacement wheels are cheaper than broken bones).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

OH NO. Are you eligible for one of the 100 air shipped motors now?

Not, sure. Haven't reached out to eWheels yet.

54 minutes ago, gon2fast said:

The suspension on this wheel kicks ass.

Hell Ya! Out of the V11, S18, Hero, and Master, the S22 to me is the better feeling suspension. Apart from all the squeaking from them damn rubber stoppers, the ride is super plush on the bigger stuff and can be as well for the smaller bumps IF the suspension is properly adjusted.

3 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

Apart from all the squeaking from them damn rubber stoppers

I cleaned all of gunk out that they had put in the channels over the first couple of days and the suspension has been silent and clean ever sense. I do need to get some dry lube in there, but I am getting closer to throwing out the stock tire which will allow for a full suspension service. It sticks a little at the very top, but upper post sag, middle and low movement is still very smooth and predictable.

That tire washes out hard in wet mud, worse than anything I have ever ridden. I thought that I was going down earlier as the wheel kicked out hard to the right (on a flat surface), but I was able to hold on and ride it out. 

Pushing 500 miles and loving it. Today I was riding around a decommissioned Air Force Base and was having a blast preloading jumps and doing high drops with ease. No hiccups from the wheel, just powers through it all. 

Works well on the train too.

image.jpg

32 minutes ago, Vanturion said:

Listening at 10 mins, I knew I heard this sound before ;).

Unfortunate timing with the rain too, looks like a great place to ride otherwise!

Grats on the successful rescue too, wheel failure always on the back of my mind getting out there on the trails.

This scared me at first (not from this ride) but it's only the sound the rubber stoppers make when they rub up against the top part for the slider channels.

I immediately slowed down and stepped off the wheel and started to walk it thinking it was electrical  but once on flat pavement, I was able to determine it was just the rubber sliders.     

Edited by 5Cauac

36 minutes ago, 5Cauac said:

This scared me at first (not from this ride) but it's only the sound the rubber stoppers make when they rub up against the top part for the slider channels.

I immediately slowed down and stepped off the wheel and started to walk it thinking it was electrical  but once on flat pavement, I was able to determine it was just the rubber sliders.     

If you're DIY-oriented, there are a bunch of  potential foam, polyurethane, and rubber-like material substitutions that may perform as good or better than the stock rubber while potentially eliminating the noise. China design/manufacturing clearly doesn't optimize for materials so if you can get the dimensions of the rubber stops, you might look here or here for an estimated rubber durometer equivalent material that won't make coconut noises B)

Edited by Vanturion

1 hour ago, 5Cauac said:

As promised.........

0:00 Preview
01:09 Intro/S22 issues
4:02 Suspension and Torque talk
7:02 Black Diamond trail run (Ridge Trail)
8:59 Blue Square trail run (Flow Trail)
11:56 Motor and Mother Board failure
12:54 The rescue plan
15:47 A very exhausting and wet rescue
17:23 Successful rescue

Ugh. What an ordeal. I think I mentioned that your experience is my nightmare when riding trails... very sorry it happened. But glad you got it sorted and didn't get hurt during the failure or (more likely!) during the recovery. Riding in the wet with an 80 lb load slung on your back had to be sketch as heck. Thank you for sharing. I'm hoping you've consumed a good portion of the bad luck, I'm selfish that way.

@Vanturion Thanks bro for the web site! This is a perfect place to purchase rubber sheets to make me some protective bumpers for the "scratch prone" areas.

As for the rubber stoppers, I'm looking at the 3d-printed sliders with bearings as replacements. 

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Riding in the wet with an 80 lb load slung on your back had to be sketch as heck.

That would be very challenging indeed. I slung the tether over my shoulder and front carried all the way back (alternating shoulders several times).

This is way more manageable and gives you the ability to control the wheel you're riding when turning or over small drops. The weight is mostly on the shoulders but hold it with both hands and adjust the weight when making turns or drops. My legs ended up more sore than my arms or chest.

Edited by 5Cauac
  • Like 2

Dang, just watched the entire video. Glad you got everything taken care of. Truthfully speaking, I do not think that I could do that in ideal weather, let alone heavy rain.

My Sherman is down too, LOL. Just pestered eWheels about the replacement motors and they are still weeks out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 5Cauac said:

As promised.........

0:00 Preview
01:09 Intro/S22 issues
4:02 Suspension and Torque talk
7:02 Black Diamond trail run (Ridge Trail)
8:59 Blue Square trail run (Flow Trail)
11:56 Motor and Mother Board failure
12:54 The rescue plan
15:47 A very exhausting and wet rescue
17:23 Successful rescue

I suspect you're waiting on eWheels and warranty may stand in the way, but it would be informative to open the motor and verify that the stator did indeed slip, tear the hall sensors/phase wire and that caused the motherboard failure. The reason I'm curious is that your unplanned dismount isn't anything like landing on a tabletop (how Chance reportedly killed his T4) or dropping a spinning wheel to stop it suddenly (as per @supercurio's landing test)... it was a pretty normal pedal clip (sudden high current demand) and tip over—the kind that killed the motherboards of a couple riders in Toronto and one here local to me. The kind I do, oh, all the time.

I'm also curious to know if the anti-NYC-fire firmware fix KS put in "worked". As I recall, under conditions where the motor is effectively shorted to ground the BMSs will latch a MOSFET into the open position and cut power. The only way to reset this is to disconnect the motor and IIRC connect to a charger… you might have to use that special dealer-only BMS reset gadget. It's not supposed to be 'easy' to reclose that switch. If you ended up with a motor phase shorted to ground (yanked wire or MOSFET shorted) and the anti-fire part worked, you should have no volts coming out of your batteries—consistent with your not being able to turn it on after it threw its toys out of bed. Checking should be fairly simple: is there voltage on the battery outputs?

Obviously, protect your warranty and don't do anything without chatting with eWheels. But I'm really curious if this is a motor slip or a tip-over failure. Maybe they're one and the same, but I sense that they're different failure modes.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

I suspect you're waiting on eWheels and warranty may stand in the way, but it would be informative to open the motor and verify that the stator did indeed slip, tear the hall sensors/phase wire and that caused the motherboard failure.

Correct. I should get a response from Jason by tomorrow. Had to send him a short vid for defect logging but had to wait till after work. Believe me, I too am curious to know for sure. 

33 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

is there voltage on the battery outputs?

I can certainly check for you but would have to wait till after the weekend. I have a pretty busy weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...