S22 tips, mods, suspension settings, tire pressure, etc. Share your experiences!

UniVehje

1 hour ago, fbhb said:

Another great mod by evvheeler Bangkok Thailand to TOTALLY protect the sliders from grime ingress thrown up by the tyre! This time a 3D printed mod has been designed to attach to each side of the original S22 mudguard:

That looks clean, design-wise. Amazing support from third party.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trevor Phillips said:

Any pictures with a 90/90 tyre

Not my photos, these are courtesy of Franco, but show the Michelin City Grip 2 90/90-14 mounted to his S22 and as I mentioned earlier (First page) in this thread I already have one that I will be fitting to my S22 when it arrives one day in the distant future!

He stated that it fits without any clearance issues and is very close in diameter to the stock knobby (should be no need for speed corrections to apps), but will obviously comes up wider but Also no issues with the battery boxes being 100mm apart!

Note: I will be fitting mine as a rear, so opposite direction to these photos.

City Grip 2 installed

City Grip 2 installed1

City Grip 2 fender clearance

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 3

Yup perfect. When I got my S-18 everyone was trying to find a knobby that would work. I tried a few never really liked any that I tried. So I started looking around for a good street tire and came across the Pirelli Angel 80/80. Works great!  Very inexpensive and the composition has grit in it. In Spokane during the winter we get ice and snow. I’ve never had a problem on the Pirelli especially on ice. 
So now that I finally got the S-22 yesterday the Pirelli will be the first mod I do. 
Teflon sliders and dust covers next. 

Edited by Mac
Wrong tire size
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Have you had a chance to test the Fox? 

Not yet. Apparently UPS need five days for the last 100 km. I’ll post here as soon as I get the wheel. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Question/Request for some measurements from someone that happens to have their shock spring off...

I'd like to know more about the progressiveness of the linkage, mostly because I feel like we don't know where the suspension starts the transition from 1:1ish to 3:1, nor do we know how the progression ramps up as everything compresses. This is important to me because with a progressive suspension, I don't want to have my sag set at the 'knee' of the progression curve (too much sag), but I also want enough sag so it will push the tire back on the ground after hitting a stone or small rock/root. If the linkage is truly progressive, the measurements should yield a blue line like the one in the stolen link below.

Consequently, I'm wondering if a person with some extra time could make a dozen or so measurements with the shock detached and the wheel on its side. Start with the wheel fully extended to the end of the throw, then measure the distance between the attach points for the shock (the eye-to-eye distance). Then move the wheel 10 cm upwards, and remeasure the eye-to-eye, move the wheel another 10 cm lather rinse and repeat until the wheel is as far inside the housing as it'll go. This should give us a plot of the leverage ratio.

The reason I desire this information is so I can choose where to set my sag. I don't want to be too close to the knee of the curve, nor to I want to be too close to the left side. Somewhere in-between is the objective... but where? (my starting target will be at the right edge of the camera icon in the watermark).

TIA!

(side note: if the suspension is more linear like the red line, then 'where' to set sag is kind of moot. It's just going to be stiff. My sense from descriptions is that S22 is at least some progressive and Master is more linear, but that's only a sense)

curve.png

Edited by Tawpie

On 7/29/2022 at 8:06 AM, fbhb said:

Another great mod by evvheeler Bangkok Thailand to TOTALLY protect the sliders from grime ingress thrown up by the tyre! This time a 3D printed mod has been designed to attach to each side of the original S22 mudguard:

20220727_221226-01.jpeg

evvheeler Bangkok Slider protection

Link to his Instagram:

Rafael T. Nitinandana on Instagram: "I just done this parts for S22 it's keep the dust and dirt in place instead of suspension slider.😅 If you guys have a 3Dprinter you can…"

The 3D print files have been made available at the following link:

All the 3D models of EVVHEELER・Cults (cults3d.com)

I like that one a lot!

Seems both overkill yet completely necessary at the same time.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, supercurio said:

I like that one a lot!

Seems both overkill yet completely necessary at the same time.

Anyone else ever wonder why KS didn't cover the sliders to begin with? I mean it's a really cool running wheel temp-wise, I just wonder if using a mod like that will mess with the cooling of it idk?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vikingto said:

Anyone else ever wonder why KS didn't cover the sliders to begin with? I mean it's a really cool running wheel temp-wise, I just wonder if using a mod like that will mess with the cooling of it idk?

The wheel looks like a cool dirt bike as it is now, with this mud guard the result might be pretty odd.

I mean the author didn't even include a full picture of the wheel with, that might be why - compromising the esthetics 😅

• Like 2

Adding an internal shell/fender/wheel well reduces the available area for tire options and increases the opportunity of clogging the wheel well with mud or sticks. Compromises, compromises. Always compromises.

But I think it's a step in the right direction. Provide a shielding mechanism outboard of the actual sliders. If I ever get my wheel, and there's ever a time when it's just sitting there not being ridden, it's a ripe opportunity for a brute force 'duh' solution. I think if you get too clever here, you'll just make a bad situation into a complicated bad situation... which is why I like the simple shield idea.

• Like 1

For anyone looking to upgrade the way the stock suspension behaves, you will achieve a much smoother suspension action after removing and discarding the 4 rubbers, using a good dry lubricant and then adding in some form of slider protection method.

You will have seen multiple options coming out of the Russian S22 community, that can easily be 3D printed so cost effective as long as you have the ability/tools to confidently strip/rebuild your S22.

I recently saw a different approach by Pasha Yun from Ecodrift, which is currently in testing phase that uses grease trapped around each slider by 3D printed seals/scrapers fitted to the top and bottom of each slider rail.

S22 seal kit for grease

The mid section of the "T" bar is fitted with a filler to accommodate a small pocket of grease, once assembled with the seals and scrapers attached via screws to each end of the the "T" bar.

S22 seal kit by pasha yun

These photos show All the component parts involved, but were taken from a screenshot of the Russian S22 Telegram group, so not as clear as I would like.

The video gives a brief glimpse into how the grease is trapped between each end of each slider, with the wiper cleaning away any dust above or below the rails!

If one of the other methods, i.e. the Flexible dust protectors were to be combined with this design by Pasha Yun, IMO I believe this to be close to as good as King Song's sliders can be made to function currently (ONLY needing 3D printed parts without the need for CNC machining etc.) with minimal stiction and protection from dirt/dust ingress!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a great post! Thanks! I have arranged and ask my friend to 3D print the cover and insert for me. Let's see how it works!

As for the slider improvement above, out of curiosity, is the green grease would be to sticky for the sliders/rails?

4 minutes ago, littlelio said:

As for the slider improvement above, out of curiosity, is the green grease would be to sticky for the sliders/rails?

The description and images for the Pasha Yun slider mod above is designed specifically to uses grease, because the grease is completely contained in the mid section of the slider rails by the seals and wipers and therefore does not come into contact with any dust/dirt!

As the sliders move up or down within the slider channels, the wipers clean the surface of any contamination in front of the slider blocks, but this intrusion of any dust or dirt can be further minimized/excluded by installing 3D printed slider covers of some description.

For anyone who wants to move the pedals forward, it can be a little tricky. Also, for any asymmetrical standing riders out there, I really like having one pedal forwards and the other backwards.

• Like 2

Hey small thing here, and this might not be an issue after the summer (month or so). But what have you guys been doing about that sharp top edge of the battery case, to keep it from rubbing the flesh off your calves?

I put a strip of baby bumper on mine, but when wearing shorts (with kneepads) it still rubs the hair and skin off my calves. I resorted to wearing a couple knee compression sleeves and then just folding them down to that area where it's rubbing, but it kinda defeats the purpose of shorts then. And then when I do start wearing pants again I'm thinking that edge will just wear through my favorite riding pants.

Just thinking I could use something softer, like the soft side of velcro? Or maybe just add some vaseline to the baby bumper strips? Idk what are you guys doing?

Again, small but annoying thing..

Edited by vikingto