EGG Electric Unicycle: DIY and OpenSource design that is easy to customize for your specific needs

I just added information about the Bluetooth app for this wheel/30B4 control board of MicroWorks:

Read more here: https://github.com/EGG-electric-unicycle/documentation/wiki#Mobile_Bluetooth_app

Mobile Bluetooth app

You can download the Android app here: GotWay3.4.51-English_edition.apk

Main features of the app:

• Horizontal calibration of the wheel
  • 3 riding modes: Madden, Comfort and Soft
  • Real time battery state, speed, trip distance, battery voltage, motor current and control board temperature
  • Android phone vibration after a specific limit speed (very useful!)
  • Beep the EUC buzzer

Screenshots:
GotWay3.4.51-English_edition-1.png

GotWay3.4.51-English_edition-2.png

GotWay3.4.51-English_edition-3.png

GotWay3.4.51-English_edition-4.png

• Upvote 1

I'm very interested in participating in this project.  I have an Airwheel and an Exorider, but I'm very interested in making an EU that has a much bigger wheel and exchangeable battery packs for charging.  I'd be happy to help with putting together a full HOWTO so people could start their own projects easier.

Are there any difficulties with using a different diameter wheel?  Is that something that can be configured in the controller and are there size limits?  (I'd love something like a 50-60cm (20-24") wheel)

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, 1kw said:

In a few days I will order everything, however I do not have the 3d printed parts. Is there anywhere I can have these made and purchased for a reasonable price in the USA?

I think is probably the best investment you can do for an EUC!! And I will be here ready to answer questions you may have.

About the printed parts, I think you may find a local kackerspace/fablab that can provide the services for a cheap price. Also maybe @MattJ can sell to you. He also have a good 3D printing design.

thank you, How long does shenzen take to respond? I asked him if the controller will work with this 18" motor... also if he can combine shipping on motor, controller, pedal assembly.  

Where to purchase a 640wh battery, any recommendations?

Im going to go ahead and purchase the rods, locally. I might even get by with some thin plywood if I really want to..or use corrugated plastic used in signs to make a box? Hot glue gun, and a few signs with bracing on top. lol. prefer 3d printed version with handle though.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 1kw said:

thank you, How long does shenzen take to respond? I asked him if the controller will work with this 18" motor... also if he can combine shipping on motor, controller, pedal assembly.  

Where to purchase a 640wh battery, any recommendations?

Im going to go ahead and purchase the rods, locally. I might even get by with some thin plywood if I really want to..or use corrugated plastic used in signs to make a box? Hot glue gun, and a few signs with bracing on top. lol. prefer 3d printed version with handle though.

640wh batterie? where are you from? europe? U.S.?

a little warning:

if you do this for saving money...this will perhaps not work...

what EVeh. Lover has done is phantastic...but he has done a lot himself...ordering all parts...including batterie, board, shell...you can go fast behind the price of an good 30kmh brand name wheel....

i know..money is not all.. individual wheel can be great....just to say it

They sell all the parts together or separately. They may not respond sometimes but most part of times they are fast, like some hours. But you can also try to chat in real time with them - I did most of times, just need to click "chat" on their shop.

There are other members from the forum that bulit their EUCs based on the same parts. Also if you prefer you can buy from them the full EUC (the link is on the project page) and the parts will be the same, so you will have the power of the all knowledge we already have from this set of parts/system.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Very interested in building one. But I would want to do it on the open VESC controller (with integrated IMU - about to release I think).

My DIY dream machine currently looks like: 18 inch wheel, VESC controller + bluetooth interface, some sort of modular battery design, waterproof, capable of gotway msuper speed (after it's well tested and trusted at such speeds).

Thinking maybe individual cell holders of 18650 cells. But maybe not on the first version.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, jeremy said:

Very interested in building one. But I would want to do it on the open VESC controller (with integrated IMU - about to release I think).

It was imho already mentioned in this forum and i just also took a look on vedders website for the esc: the VESC is designed for a maximal Voltage of 60V - so only usable with a max 14S battery configuration.

as you mention "about to release" - did he start a new design with another driver for higher voltages?

for euc's the development goes more in the direction of higher voltages (20s instead of the 16s) to get more speed/torque reserves and/or lower currents for the same power...

• Upvote 1

On 11/5/2016 at 7:51 PM, jeremy said:

My DIY dream machine currently looks like: 18 inch wheel, VESC controller + bluetooth interface, some sort of modular battery design, waterproof, capable of gotway msuper speed (after it's well tested and trusted at such speeds).

Thinking maybe individual cell holders of 18650 cells. But maybe not on the first version.

VESC 6 hardware does have an IMU, however it is limited to less than 60V and there isn't any balancing software in the update. It's actually easy to install an external IMU on any VESC model. I built a prototype of VESC compatible hardware that can run on 67V+ and it runs without any issue. The problem is I can't find anyone willing to work on open source unicycle firmware.

I spent about 20 hours last week contacting and interviewing freelance programmers but it's very difficult to find anyone with self balancing vehicle knowledge. I did find a few but they were to busy to take on new projects. I have one working on it now but he wasn't my first choice and his work hasn't been great so far so I don't know if he will succeed. If I can find a way to get anyone to write unicycle balancing code I can have VESC powered EUCs in no time.

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2016 at 2:26 PM, electric_vehicle_lover said:

I received today the MicroWorks board and motor for 30km/h. I also have 2 battery packs, tires, pedals, iner tubs, etc - I Just don't have a shell and so I will need to move forward to design and print my own for the 14'' wheel 30km/h with 2 battery packs :-)

20160512_131844.jpg

Hello
How much has been the price of the whole package? Is transportation expensive?

I'm from Spain.

thanks and regards

Edited by Jesus

4 hours ago, Jesus said:

Hola
¿Cuánto ha sido el precio de todo el paquete? ¿Es caro el transporte?

Soy de España.

gracias y saludos

Hola! Soy Óscar, de Madrid. Acabo de realizar un envio parecido, Motor de 500W, placa controladora, pedales, cubierta, cámara, luces...

El envío 86 usd. En total algo menos de 270€. Ya veremos si viene con aduana. Un saludo

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Óscar Ramos Melero said:

Hola! Soy Óscar, de Madrid. Acabo de realizar un envio parecido, Motor de 500W, placa controladora, pedales, cubierta, cámara, luces...

El envío 86 usd. En total algo menos de 270€. Ya veremos si viene con aduana. Un saludo

Hola Óscar :) Yo de Cádiz
¿puedes decirme donde has comprado todo?,He probado en alibaba tal como dicen en la wiki, pero se disparan los portes al doble de lo que cuesta todo.:facepalm:

Un saludo

Edited by Jesus

On 10/1/2017 at 10:28 AM, Jesus said:

Hola Óscar :) Yo de Cádiz
¿puedes decirme donde has comprado todo?,He probado en alibaba tal como dicen en la wiki, pero se disparan los portes al doble de lo que cuesta todo.:facepalm:

Un saludo

En microworks. https://f2rq3.app.goo.gl/?link=https%3A%2F%2Fm.spanish.alibaba.com%2Fp-detail%2FHigh-speed-500w-brushless-motor-power-60457898943.html&apn=com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon&ibi=com.alibaba.sourcing&isi=503451073&amv=69

Ese es el link del motor. Es todo de ahí. Habla con el chinorri por el chat y que te de un presupuesto.?

Wondering if anyone here might have a direct contact for Shenzhen Microworks, they cant seem to be bothered to answer questions through Alibaba about the components and I am looking to see if they can supply some things I am looking for me.

Thanks in advance, feel free to PM me if you dont want to post it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, UnicycleFun said:

Hi , 

I think think there must be a holliday or something going on at Microworks , I have not be able to contact Lee since last week.

so maybe next week all will be ok !

Cool thanks for the heads up. Ill give it another week and see if I hear back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2017 at 10:00 PM, SigmaSixEng said:

Cool thanks for the heads up. Ill give it another week and see if I hear back.

Two more weeks ... several more messages and no response still. Anyone have a good source for parts that will ship to the US? Thanks in advance for the help!