How many EUCs do you really need?

360rumors

43 minutes ago, techyiam said:

During the first 50 km's, where is the tire rubbing on the shell? Is the tire too wide, so it rubs on the bottom lip of the shell? Or is the tire diameter too large? Thank you for help.

If it's to wide - you could cut side knobbies. I did that with mine K66, it originally was 76mm wide, after cutting it got down to side walls 66mm. (18xl wheel well opening is 72mm wide..) <Was 100% worth getting motorcycle tire fitted.

Diameter is more problematic to fix. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Funky said:

ks16xs :D 

If you have built a PC, or have messed with PC inners. EUC will be simple.

I haven't built a pc.  I do know FPV and have repaired some of mine, but i'm not at all familiar with EUC components and how they are connected to each other.  Are the parts standardized like a PC, i.e., they all have part X, part Y, part Z, and they all use standard connectors?   I'm also wary of the risk.  If I ruin an FPV drone, it's a few hundred.  This one is more expensive. haha. and the parts seem harder to find in the US.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

I haven't built a pc.  I do know FPV and have repaired some of mine, but i'm not at all familiar with EUC components and how they are connected to each other.  Are the parts standardized like a PC, i.e., they all have part X, part Y, part Z, and they all use standard connectors?   I'm also wary of the risk.  If I ruin an FPV drone, it's a few hundred.  This one is more expensive. haha. and the parts seem harder to find in the US.

The standard is whatever is cheapest. OPen it up and youll see that its a pretty simple device and they spared nearly every expense. Pretty basic connenctors, inadequate wiring, but usually decent boards.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

The standard is whatever is cheapest.

@360rumors

For me, this statement epitomizes more or less the state of Gotway wheels up to, but before the Hero. The inside of the wheel looks somewhat like a prototype affair. But the outside can be somewhat better. 

However, I have to say, the T3 does work well, and has been reliable for me.

Having said that, I would say the V12 is above that. It actually looks like a designed commercial product on the inside. In contrast, you should see how the controller board is mounted in the T3. They wedged a piece of silicone square between the the shell and the board-on-heatsink. It-monkey wasn't a happy camper when he saw that.

I think they are looking for cost-effective designs, except that there doesn't seem to be a limit as to how far they are willing to cheap out.

There is no standard. You have to learn your way around each one. On the plus side though, mechanically, they are not complex machines. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

Like i said, simply disconnect/connect wires = easy. Heck you can even youtube your wheel - disassembly.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, techyiam said:

During the first 50 km's, where is the tire rubbing on the shell? Is the tire too wide, so it rubs on the bottom lip of the shell? Or is the tire diameter too large? Thank you for help.

Radially (middle) and its only really the "hair" that's rubbing. You know the extra stuff from the manufacturing. 

After that's been shaved off it becomes silent. It looks scary at first but I assure you I've got nearly 4-5mm clearance on my worn 2.5in tire. 

It becomes silent sooner if you lower the pressure. 

Avoid offroading or riding on debris until you've developed a bit of clearance. (few hundred km)

• Thanks 1

So after almost 4 years and 3,500 miles I have purchased my wheels mostly based on my riding style, needs, wants and specs.  The short list is reliability, comfort, range, power, speed and looks.  Notice looks are last, I'm a function over form guy.  It has to work great before it looks good.

I have 2 KS 18XL's, a Tesla T3 and an mTen3.  My riding style is mostly 20/20.  I usually average 20 miles at around 20 mph.  I'm a medium slow cruiser.  I'm not interested in speed beyond 25 mph, I've been to 29 and that was enough.  Maybe I fit the No Skill Zombie Rider category but in truth until someone defines the requirements for that than I'm saying Nope! 

18XL's:  If I could afford 3 or 4 of these I'd buy them.  Out of all the wheels I've owned, and it's been a bunch, (Jason at ewheels could probably verify), the 18XL has been my absolute favorite wheel that covers my riding style and specs as far as an all around wheel goes.  I'll probably never touch the approx. 50 miles of range that this wheel will take me (my riding style).  Nor will I ever touch the 31 mph it's rated at.  The amount left in reserve means that at least for me it's a very safe wheel.  The 2.5" wide tire is absolutely perfect for me and the most comfortable out of everything I've personally ridden.  (Owned many size tires up to the Z10 4" tire).

Tesla T3:  I just purchased this wheel.  I was actually in the market for another 18XL when I bought this wheel.  I decided I didn't want to fork out another $2K+ but I did want around 1500WH of battery power so opted to try the T3.  Almost $400 less than an 18XL, 1500WH of battery and a digital readout.  Time will tell if I can actually use the readout while riding but I thought it was a great feature.   Because of the battery size it should fit right into my 20/20 riding style with no problem.  Thank you YT EUC Chronicles for the info on installing a 2.5" tire on the Tesla as it will be my first mod to it.

Mten3:  Who doesn't like the extreme agility of this little ripper wheel.  I don't even think I need to explain the fun factor with the mten3 and what it can do.  I bought it for those days when I don't have time to go out and do longer rides or just feel like having some fun.

Thank you for taking 5 minutes to read my post, I hope all of you are out rippin' it and enjoying this awesome sport/hobby/obsession. : p

I included a pic of my EUC garage.  Tesla hasn't arrived yet.

EUC stable copy.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tryptych said:

The only correct answer is:

THREE

small, medium, and large...

phew. 42 would have me residing in the dog house. Saving grace is that I'd also be in hot water. No, wait.....

Hi, in my personal opinion two euc,s are the perfect amount you need , from my own experience I can say that I miss second little smaller euc , currently riding the EXN but something like KS16X ( owned one before the EXN) will be perfect to have , some days I don't feel like be mad man and street hooligan, just want go for simple shopping  to corner shop or just ride to the park and chill out. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 1:59 AM, M640 said:

18XL's:  If I could afford 3 or 4 of these I'd buy them

Nice,  i also love the 18XL, i think my riding style is very much like yours, and this wheel just does everything, even off-road is no problem. But...why would you want to many of them?? one is enough right?

22 minutes ago, Felix said:

Nice,  i also love the 18XL, i think my riding style is very much like yours, and this wheel just does everything, even off-road is no problem. But...why would you want to many of them?? one is enough right?

Yeah, one is enough. These people who want 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42. Are simply addicted to euc riding.. God bless their little souls. :innocent1:

I just got one, mainly so i don't have to buy a "baggage" ticket in train. (For bikes - you need to buy one here..) Before that i used regular bike. On bike i was riding at 30kph max.. (Mostly in ~20kph) My 18xl does plenty. 40kph is more than i ever need. Leaving last ~10kph for safety margin.. (I'm sticking closer to ~35kph anyways.)

I even rented some electric scooters to "test" ride them.. I was thinking getting one of those first, but they where boring as duck to ride. Also 10" tires could feel all road buzz/bumps..

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

@Funky Does the KS18XL really do it all?  Can it do off road as well as ride on the street?  I currently have a Tesla v2 and I like it except that the pedal is too low for off road, and I got an S18, but it seems too large and sluggish for short errands.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

@Funky Does the KS18XL really do it all?  Can it do off road as well as ride on the street?  I currently have a Tesla v2 and I like it except that the pedal is too low for off road, and I got an S18, but it seems too large and sluggish for short errands.

Sorry to barge in.

I suspect that you haven't ridden the S18 for that long. The reason I say this is because a rider usually acclimatize to the current wheel. That current wheel will become the norm.

For example, when I first bought my V12, I had to relearn riding an euc on it. After a short period when I could commute on it, I thought it was heavy and somewhat sluggish. However, after a few thousand km's, when I went back to my T3 (Begode Tesla v3), it felt tippy, way too light, and unstable. I felt nervous riding it. But after some re-adjustment it was OK again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, techyiam said:

Sorry to barge in.  I suspect that you haven't ridden the S18 for that long. The reason I say this is because a rider usually acclimatize to the current wheel. That current wheel will become the norm.

You are definitely right about that.  I've only had it for a few days.  OTOH I have ridden wheels I've never tried before and instantly felt at home, like the KS 14D, or Inmotion v10F.  I also felt more 'at home' on the 18XL than the S18.  But the one I saw had many miles, and I wanted suspension.  I hope that as I ride the S18 more, I'll grow to enjoy it more.

7 hours ago, 360rumors said:

I also felt more 'at home' on the 18XL than the S18.

They are about the same weight. S18 has higher pedal height and less battery. However, the S18 has a 18x3 tire, whereas the 18XL, 18x2.5. This could be a factor. Did you say you bought the S18 used? If yes, does it have stock tires? The reason I asked is because when I got on a S18 demo wheel, it felt very light and nimble, like the Begode T3. I have never ridden an 18XL. I would have thought the S18 shouldn't have required that much more effort to ride than the 18XL.

Edited by techyiam

7 hours ago, 360rumors said:

You are definitely right about that.  I've only had it for a few days.  OTOH I have ridden wheels I've never tried before and instantly felt at home, like the KS 14D, or Inmotion v10F.  I also felt more 'at home' on the 18XL than the S18.  But the one I saw had many miles, and I wanted suspension.  I hope that as I ride the S18 more, I'll grow to enjoy it more.

The V8S has been the perfect wheel for me, meshes well with my frame and weight. It feels like an extension of me. It is such a joy riding that wheel. I came from a V10f and I don’t miss the 2000watt motor or extra range. I also rode the S18 for over a year, and I could not get into that wheel. In fact, I grew to hate that wheel the more I rode it.

8 hours ago, 360rumors said:

I have 18XL and Tesla V2 and you are totally right: The Tesla is way faster off the line, way more responsive, brakes much better than 18XL (or S18). However the 18XL is my choice for long rides and off road due to the higher pedals, wider tire,  more stable at  higher speeds, and of course the range. Also it feels higher quality, more solid build and just more trustworthy due to the 6 battery packs in parallel, this wheel just won't cut out. But Tesla is just awesome at short commutes, torque and acceleration can't be beat.

52 minutes ago, techyiam said:

They are about the same weight. S18 has higher pedal height and less battery. However, the S18 has a 18x3 tire, whereas the 18XL, 18x2.5. This could be a factor. Did you say you bought the S18 used? If yes, does it have stock tires? The reason I asked is because when I got on a S18 demo wheel, it felt very light and nimble

It has the stock version 2 tires.  So far i have found it to be anything but light and nimble.  It is super stable compared to other wheels i tried (except the v11, which seems to be even more stable).  I can easily ride one legged on it, which is not easy for me to do on a tesla.  It gives me hope that maybe there is a way to ride it that will make it light and nimble. 

46 minutes ago, Mango said:

The V8S has been the perfect wheel for me, meshes well with my frame and weight

Interesting!  I used to have an inmotion v8.  I liked it well enough, but I thought it was underpowered which is why I got the tesla v2.  Besides being much more powerful, I prefer the tesla v2's handling over the inmotion v8.  I also got to try the inmotion v10 briefly and really enjoyed it.  I liked it better than my inmotion v8 too.  but maybe i will try  a v8s if i get the chance.