How many EUCs do you really need?

360rumors

Get 1 wheel that can do all.. Maybe 2 if you ride with cars - 1(compact) for lower speeds, 1(monster) for high speeds.

For my case 18xl does it all for me. I don't ride with cars.. 40kph is plenty on side walks, where people are.. I only ride on asphalt, packed down dirt/gravel roads. The weight also is at the sweet spot ~25kg. And range is plenty..

If police saw us riding with cars, I can imagine a fine or something.. As we don't really have that many euc riders here. Same time no laws what so ever on euc.. Only electric scooters, which also can't ride with cars. And we really don't have bike paths, only in big city's - also rarely.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Im also losing the worry of having lithium fire bombs laying around,

the lithium thing is definitely an issue for me.  I’m worried that keeping wheels that I rarely use is just an unnecessary fire hazard and I definitely don’t want to have a collection until we come to a point where the batteries are as safe as an iPhone. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

the lithium thing is definitely an issue for me.  I’m worried that keeping wheels that I rarely use is just an unnecessary fire hazard and I definitely don’t want to have a collection until we come to a point where the batteries are as safe as an iPhone. 

So true. Can't wait when solid state batteries will become a thing in euc's.. Then i will buy new euc. Maybe sell my 18xl, doh i doubt at that year someone will want 18xl. :D

I also hope till that year, we will have "smart bms" all bells and whistles. At the moment euc get bigger, same time more crappy. Hope it will change.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

Agreed. It also makes me feel like a total a**hole, to have ANY toys laying around, not being used. Im the opposite of a collector. If something expensive sits around unused, i feel its wasteful and I really do hate myself when it happens(hence me selling my sherman and extra paramotor). Wasting money and earth's resources, arent something I'm a fan of. Use it up, sure, but don't waste it. Having unused wheels laying around is for the rich people that have 2+ houses, extra cars, luxury Rv's and all that other BS. If I can afford to have $5k laying around not being used, I could probably afford to donate the money to someone who NEEDS it. $5k can buy a lot of food or medicine.  In all honesty, I could easily be down to my 18xl and still be thankful I'm so spoiled as to even afford the one..

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, GoGeorgeGo said:

2 wheels, 3 if your using one as compact Traveller.

What I wish is that airlines would allow us to transport a small EUC like MTen. If they did, I would definitely get a small one just for that. But I suppose that will never happen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

What I wish is that airlines would allow us to transport a small EUC like MTen. If they did, I would definitely get a small one just for that. But I suppose that will never happen. 

Get your own plane? I dunno if I would want to be on a commercial airline, knowing there's euc's on board. They dont issue parachutes with the tickets either. I guess if the planes let me smoke during the flight, they could also carry euc's. I may as well get some reward for the risk...:eff02be2d7:

Of course, I charge and store MY euc's by the chemical storage area. Its a house tho, and neighbors are far enough away. Insurance company has told me that fire is covered, even if its from blatant stupidity....

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Agreed. It also makes me feel like a total a**hole, to have ANY toys laying around, not being used. Im the opposite of a collector. If something expensive sits around unused, i feel its wasteful and I really do hate myself when it happens. Wasting money and earth's resources, arent something I'm a fan of. Use it up, sure, but don't waste it. Seeeing unused wheels laying around is for the rich. If I can afford to have $5k laying around not being used, I could probably afford to donate the money to someone who NEEDS it. $5k can buy a lot of food or medicine....

Yup, for 5K i could pay off my everyday bills for 2 years. (Aka i don't socialite, rarely leave house. So most money that i earn stays in my safe. +I don't like spending..) And here i have my 18xl sitting in my room corner.. Because i don't feel like riding.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

Absolute minimum is 2, one for daily riding and a backup for when the main wheel is in the shop for whatever reason.

You’re the second one to mention the need to have one as a backup. Is it common for EUCs to be sent to a shop? Does that happen predictably, like once a year, or when the tire needs to be replaced?

I have 4 like Shayne. Tiny indoor mten. S18 with molicel for trails and short low speed rides. Sherman and Abrams for daily commute.  The Abrams is down due to being hit by a truck, and now waiting for the firmware update to help mitigate the cut out problem. Glad I still had my Sherman at that point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Having unused wheels laying around is for the rich people that have 2+ houses, extra cars, luxury Rv's and all that other BS.

Where do I pick up my second house, RV and "other BS"?

I hope the "other BS" includes a electric motorcycle, a gallon of caviar and some cash or bitcoin!!! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

You’re the second one to mention the need to have one as a backup. Is it common for EUCs to be sent to a shop? Does that happen predictably, like once a year, or when the tire needs to be replaced?

I had a spare 18L for backup for a year. It got sold as my original still works. I think having a backup is a good plan, but I wouldnt get a duplicate. I fix/maintain my own wheels, so having a single backup would suffice. I'm going to be down to 3 wheels I hope. 1 18xl and 2 mtens. I have 2 mtens, as its simply worth the $400 I could sell it for, to keep it. Its dedicated to letting other people use it and fall off. Since my 18xl was purchased used and my mtens were less than $500, I llke to think I've not too much invested.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 360rumors said:

Those people can't live without euc. If my euc breaks, i will use regular bike - that i used before i got euc. (I even have euc shop in next city, if i wanted, i could simply go in and buy new euc.. If need be.) Tire changes are easy, if you got tools. First thing i did, i changed my euc tire after measly ~150km.

(I even opened my euc at first day - the fan was rubbing, making annoying sound, easy fix.. Was not worth driving 25km to exchange it.)

Doh having 2 motors would be great.. 1 summer tire, 1 winter tire motor. You don't need to change tires each season. Simply change motors. :D Also having spare parts like mobo, etc.. Can save you time.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Funky said:

Those people can't live without euc. If my euc breaks, i will use regular bike - that i used before i got euc. (I even have euc shop in next city, if i wanted, i could simply go in and buy new euc.. If need be.) Tire changes are easy, if you got tools. First thing i did, i changed my euc tire after measly ~150km.

(I even opened my euc at first day - the fan was rubbing, making annoying sound, easy fix.. Was not worth driving 25km to exchange it.)

Doh having 2 motors would be great.. 1 summer tire, 1 winter tire motor. You don't need to change tires each season. Simply change motors. :D Also having spare parts like mobo, etc.. Can save you time.

Winter tires? Haven`t heard those on a EUC. Are they buyable in the Rigas shop?

4 hours ago, 360rumors said:

For me,  I need a backup too, even though I have electric kick scooters and an e-bike. The reason is simply I prefer to ride an euc over other PEV's. 

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

As the owner of an 'everyday all purpose' wheel, and a 'goofing around the neighborhood' wheel and an 'off-road' wheel (with a very soft and difficult to obtain tire), I'm in the 3-is-enough camp as well. When the S22 arrives I may think about downsizing to 2 wheels… but I can't bear the thought of kicking my learner out of the wheelhouse.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

I'd say two is a good number since one is none and two is one. TLDR when one breaks or has a problem, at least you have a spare. It's also nice to be able to have a wheel you can loan out should someone need one to borrow. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 360rumors said:

A fair number of us use wheels for commuting. When putting 10K kms/yr on a wheel a flat now and then isn't too surprising. We are finding that tires are good for about 5K before the tread starts to look a little worn, depending on the tire and ride style of course. 

Beyond that most of the maintenance issues come when these same commuter wheels go to work after hours as single-track mountain bike trail devices. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1