How many EUCs do you really need?

360rumors

I think I'm gonna end up with 3 or 4 in the end.

-A good commuter. In my case the Nikola AR+ for city-capable speeds, long range, and water resistance.
-A HT offroader. I've recently fallen in love with riding my local pump track and mtb trails, and I want something with a bit higher pedal height and some more torque. Something like an RSHT or Master is appealing to me.
-A HS beast, something to get me up to super fast speeds as I wish I had some more speed than my AR+ can provide. Something like an EXN HS, EX20S, Master, or Sherman/Max.
-Maybe something small to bring to the skatepark, but my AR+ has been fine. Maybe something like an MCM5v2 to whip around the skatepark

10 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

A fair number of us use wheels for commuting. When putting 10K kms/yr on a wheel a flat now and then isn't too surprising. We are finding that tires are good for about 5K before the tread starts to look a little worn, depending on the tire and ride style of course. 

Beyond that most of the maintenance issues come when these same commuter wheels go to work after hours as single-track mountain bike trail devices. :)

I commute on my wheels and I do agree with having at least something to use in case your main wheel is out of commission. A shitty low-end scooter, a 2nd EUC, a bicycle, a car, anything. I got my old 18XL, and my old scooters I could use if need be, but if/when I get more wheels I'd still have something I could use as long as it wasn't downpouring

• Like 2

With the current spare part and repair situation one needs at least two. I lost almost eight weeks of the finest riding weather in the summer of 2020 because my brand new V10F died on me on the second ride and the seller bungled the repair.

12 hours ago, Markuss said:

Winter tires? Haven`t heard those on a EUC. Are they buyable in the Rigas shop?

Buy any tire - stud them your self. Drill little hole in tire (not true) and insert this thing > https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003515679926.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.2e1b38f56cBGuD&algo_pvid=ca4d789c-607d-43ed-9f80-73894a84bf90&algo_exp_id=ca4d789c-607d-43ed-9f80-73894a84bf90-0&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000026135770156"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!EUR!!2.36!!!!!%4021031a5516533846336147186e63b7!12000026135770156!sea

Helps if tire has more "rubber" on it..

My dad did this and it worked very well. He rode all winter..

Edited by Funky

57 minutes ago, M640 said:

It usually take 3 riding sessions before I need to recharge. 

Several small charges are better for the battery than one big charge, even if the total amount of miles charged is identical, just saying. 

47 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

Several small charges are better for the battery than one big charge, even if the total amount of miles charged is identical, just saying. 

Then the euc would sit at 100% charge almost all the time. Or some random %.. Which is not so good, just saying. :whistling: And if you charge little by little, when do you balance the cells?

Most of "cell balancing" happen when fully charged. (Sitting at green charger for more 1-2hrs) As we know, when charger turns green, it doesn't mean it has finished "charging" sure it is charged, but balancing still continues..

I think it's better to charge only when you need it. And do it to 100% +1-2hrs cell balancing. My case when battery drops to 40-50% (after 2-4 days of riding.)

Edited by Funky
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Funky said:

Then the euc would sit at 100% charge almost all the time. Or some random %.. Which is not so good, just saying. :whistling: And if you charge little by little, when do you balance the cells?

Most of "cell balancing" happen when fully charged. (Sitting at green charger for more 1-2hrs) As we know, when charger turns green, it doesn't mean it has finished "charging" sure it is charged, but balancing still continues..

I think it's better to charge only when you need it. And do it to 100% +1-2hrs cell balancing. My case when battery drops to 40-50% (after 2-4 days of riding.)

I dont see the issue, I just charge my wheel a sufficient amount of time before I go on a ride, I dont charge it immediately after I return from one. There is plenty of time for balancing.

11 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

I dont see the issue, I just charge my wheel a sufficient amount of time before I go on a ride, I dont charge it immediately after I return from one. There is plenty of time for balancing.

You just said "Several small charges are better for the battery" Not saying anything how you charge it.. Would love to hear how you do it. :D Do you charge to 50% stop, then to 60% stop, then to 70%....? :D 

Same here, i charge it only when needed, normally after 2-4days.

I was just saying that "most" balancing happens after wheel has charged to 100%.

If you don't regularly charge to 100% +some time for balancing. (1-2hrs) Your battery may die sooner than later.

I think there is no "passive" balancing in euc.. That's why i'm saying about the "100%+1-2hrs" < I may be wrong doh.. (Please fix my mistake someone, who knows more than me <3)

When I finally get to the point of charging I do a balance charge, always.  I usually store my wheels at around 50% when not riding.

• Upvote 1

I'd say 4 - Tiny, Commuter, Cruiser, and a Backup or beater wheel to let friends learn on

I currently have 5 and about to get another....it's too tempting to want to try them all.

I will say that I don't regret any of the money I've spent so far, it's been some of the best purchases I've ever made. I'd easily have paid more than what I have so far after realizing how amazing these things are. I'm shocked at how cheap these used to be.

Edited by tenofnine
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

I'd easily have paid more than what I have so far after realizing how amazing these things are. I'm shocked at how cheap these used to be.

Shhhhh! 

On a more serious note, I hope manufacturers understand that we would be willing to pay more and they can improve the build quality and safety.

• Like 1

I only have one EUC. It's fun, but I don't ride it enough to spend more $$ on another when the current one works well. I suppose if you gave me the money for a bling wheel I might get something fancier/newer and keep the old wheel to lend out to people learning. I'd still only ride one wheel.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/24/2022 at 1:53 AM, 360rumors said:

I see many users with multiple EUCs. Why is that? Im curious what experienced users say about how many wheels a typical user really needs (let’s say budget is not an issue)?

If a user has only one EUC, what would they be giving up or what would they need to compromise on? 

I have two wheels because the first one I got — inmotion v8 — was a bit underpowered. Now that I have Tesla v2, it seems to be fine for groceries, commuting and light off-roading (bumpy grass).  I seldom use the inmotion v8 and have been trying to sell it. 

The tesla and v8 are fantastic wheels. As long as you're not offroading they do everything.

I started lowering the tire pressure on my tesla after putting on a 2.5in tire. That's when I got a "wow" feeling. "holy shit, this feels great". Instead of messing up the rim going too low (I messed it up already actually.) just go wider tire I thought. I was planning for a whole year to modify the tesla to take a 3in tire. It's actually doable and the diy spirit in me kept calling yes!

In the end if the Tesla was to be in surgery for a couple of weeks perhaps, I'd need a replacement. Another tesla or maybe an MSX. I got the MSX. It's sluggish as hell but damn is it stable and comfy. I put off the tesla upgrade basically. 2.5in is enough if you don't use it for crazy long rides.

I wish there was a 16x3 wheel out there that's sub 20kg. 

• Like 2

Yea the Tesla really is the Mario of EUCs. I have yet to overpower it taking off or braking, seems to have A TON of torque. I don't think I've even gotten warning beeps from taking off too fast or braking too fast in the 3 years I've ridden it. I just wish it didn't have the egg shape where it cuts into the wheel clearance and low pedals. If the Tesla and the V10F had a baby that would be my perfect wheel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

The tesla and v8 are fantastic wheels. As long as you're not offroading they do everything.

I started lowering the tire pressure on my tesla after putting on a 2.5in tire. That's when I got a "wow" feeling. 

Wow thanks for the suggestions!  But I'm such a noob that I don't feel comfortable changing tires yet.  It will have to be a project in the distant future! :) 

56 minutes ago, tenofnine said:

I just wish it didn't have the egg shape where it cuts into the wheel clearance and low pedals.

The low pedal and wheel clearance are one of the few things I wish could be better with the tesla.  If I had those I probably would never be tempted to upgrade haha

5 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I wish there was a 16x3 wheel out there that's sub 20kg. 

ks16xs :D 

4 hours ago, 360rumors said:

Wow thanks for the suggestions!  But I'm such a noob that I don't feel comfortable changing tires yet.  It will have to be a project in the distant future! :) 

If you have built a PC, or have messed with PC inners. EUC will be simple. It's more plug and play. Same as PC building.

I had zero problem opening my wheel. Same time zero fear - doh connecting batteries back is little bit scary, as they normally spark.. :D

First day i got the wheel, i was already messing with it's motherboard - fan was rubbing, (Those 3 big capacitors was siliconed to tight, silicon needed to be cut and reapplied.) Easy fix.. Wasn't worth driving back to store, to exchange the wheel. :facepalm:

Tire change is more easy - as you don't need to mess with motherboard. Just disconnect/connect wires - easy.

Edited by Funky

8 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I started lowering the tire pressure on my tesla after putting on a 2.5in tire. That's when I got a "wow" feeling. "holy shit, this feels great".

If you don't mind, what was the 2.5" tire that you put on? I think you mentioned it before. I am too lazy to search. Thanks.

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

If you don't mind, what was the 2.5" tire that you put on? I think you mentioned it before. I am too lazy to search. Thanks.

CST C1488 16x2.5

It needs to be centered perfectly to not rub the shell after 50km. I've done around 4000km on mine. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

CST C1488 16x2.5

It needs to be centered perfectly to not rub the shell after 50km. I've done around 4000km on mine. 

During the first 50 km's, where is the tire rubbing on the shell? Is the tire too wide, so it rubs on the bottom lip of the shell? Or is the tire diameter too large? Thank you for help.

Edited by techyiam