Come and Join Product Naming Giveaway to Win an INMOTION V11 Electric Unicycle

INMOTION_Fiona

Purpose for the existence of professional marketing departments/management consultant firms.

The Begode YouTube video of announcing use of LiPo batteries should give an idea of how differently another culture can be in their thinking.

We don't all think the same.

• Like 2

Instead of having users ending up acting one more time as spokesmen for Inmotion, relay marketing information and start damage control.

I took you half seriously before, but this is just ridiculous. I quoted what Inmotion publicly already shared in another public forum, because I thought it was relevant. And that again makes me a spokesman?? Man, there must be like thousands of spokesmen here!

Im not in marketing either, but if I had a company that depended on it, I'd pay more attention or find someone qualified to do so.

So even you as an American don’t feel confident enough to handle marketing for other American people, yet you expect a freaking Chinese company to be able to do so without mistakes?? I know you’re the center of your planet, but we’re talking about planetary level communication here.

Btw, I just noticed that while this is an international forum with a wide range of nationalities, so far the ones annoyed by this the most seem to be all American. This was an international contest though. Aren’t we seeing big cultural differences here, even between western countries?

What if I told you that in Finland spelling mistakes are an insult towards others, would it change anything in how you guys type? If yes, for how long?

(Just to clarify, they aren’t. Much...)

Has Inmo finally decided to hire a language team that can translate their manuals properly?

At least they’re much better than others I’ve seen, but there are a few individual mistakes. I don’t think my GW even came with a manual though… :lol:

how much grey matter does it take to know that what yuo print, represents you

Couldn’t have said it better myself. :P

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

So even you as an American don’t feel confident enough to handle marketing for other American people, yet you expect a freaking Chinese company to be able to do so without mistakes?? I know you’re the center of your planet, but we’re talking about planetary level communication here.

"Yes I do expect them to. And no I dont feel confident in being the head marketing for a company endeavor that is important and of large value. I would hire someone VERY qualified to do so, and expect THEM to do a much better job than I can. Marketing is a skill. Im also not a skilled doctor and KNOW it."

Btw, I just noticed that while this is an international forum with a wide range of nationalities, so far the ones annoyed by this the most seem to be all American. This was an international contest though. Aren’t we seeing big cultural differences here, even between western countries?

"Probably."

What if I told you that in Finland spelling mistakes are an insult towards others, would it change anything in how you guys type? If yes, for how long?

(Just to clarify, they aren’t. Much...)

"No, because I dont mind if someone is insulted when I don't intend it to be that way. I dont represent a company in a professional format, so I dont really care. If i had a serious business tho, I would definitely NOT represent it globally, for the same reasons.  I don't know what others may find offensive and I would rather just be myself and enjoy the way I chat. Or maybe my company makes bank on being offensive? If thats the case, I guess Im all good! Hopefully informal conversations are given more leeway and standards for offense are lower.

fwiw, I used to be a spelling bee champ AND was raised by an English teacher. I recognize Im getting lazy, my keyboard sticks, and somehow my spelling has gone to sh*t. I view spellcheck as cheating..."

At least they’re much better than others I’ve seen, but there are a few individual mistakes. I don’t think my GW even came with a manual though… :lol:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. :P                                   *quotes are MY responses*  I have no idea how the multiquote thing works, yet.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
the usual, spelling, grammar, yadayada.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I would hire someone VERY qualified to do so, and expect THEM to do a much better job than I can

How many nationalities would you hire the people from? ‘Cos I heard that for example Eskimos don’t shake hands much… ;)

I’m sure you’re all getting my point by now. @Paul A also expressed it well. We don’t know what is the meaing of backing out from a competition in other cultures. Nobody won, nobody to give the prize to. It’s obvious that if there isn’t a suitable contender for a name that they won’t use any of them. At least to me. Having to have a page full of disclaimers for a short Instagram message is only needed in the US, maybe because others have the capability to be slightly more understanding not to get riled up quite as much over something like this.

To me it looks good that there is a person reading our comments, and once they realize that the reaction was far from intended, they try to make things right. Btw, how did the Gotway, Begode, Veteran and Raging Bull competitions go? :lol:

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Come on guys, this discussion Is getting weird. There’s a new marketing team and this was probably their first thing. Still a bit to learn for next time but at least something’s happening. They explained on the telegram chat and reversed the decision and are still thinking about the solution. 

I’m not a spokesperson for them but I have to say that it’s good to have representatives from manufacturers here interacting with us. How about not shooting the messengers? Judging from this response the safest thing for manufacturers is to stay away. Trying to engage and failing to communicate exactly right seems to cause calls for boycott and accusations of deliberate scamming. The representatives are here (and on chats) with us finally. When something like this happens, we can just talk to them and wait for their response before trying to cancel them. And please keep in mind the cultural differences. 

D7844A7C-E08C-424E-AE03-0B32C9029233.jpeg

Hopefully Cecily has thick skin, as its definitely gna take that to deal with the world public. Tbf, the above posting is pretty good English. Only slight wording order issues but pretty good.

I am unbranded atm and Inmo has had my eye for a while. I guess it was better for them, when I had dismissed them entirely. I say, best of luck to the 'winner'. A random drawing from all the entries, sounds like the simplest solution to me.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

@Unventor employees working with marketing in the west are given access to VPN to bypass the great firewall.

Let's stop with the unnecessary apologies and hold manufacturers accountable when needed.

If anybody think that a reasonable deal for having Inmotion employees be active in this forum is that everybody should say only nice things about them, or be corrected if they don't, I can guarantee they'll get a reality check sooner than later.

Edit: just seen @Cecily Inmotion's reply. Thanks for the follow-up, appreciated.

A community deciding which person should get a gift might stir up tensions, it would probably be wiser if you pick a random contestant.

Actually it's multiple communities across these forums, Facebook and Instagram: making all these different people agree on who deserves a free wheel is likely impractical, might create unfriendly competition and conflicts.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Cecily Inmotion said:

Please do not say we are scammers, we just want to make things look fair. 

Ideally, it should not only look fair but be fair.

27 minutes ago, Cecily Inmotion said:

At last, although we will not use the name from the contest as we really can't find a suitable name, we will still give a V11 as the prize. After a discussion, we decided to let you guys pick the winner! Comment the new euc name you love most on Ins and the one that gets the most likes will be the winner. He/She can get a V11 for sure.

Please note that people have been participating by suggesting names in these forums, Facebook and Instagram.

I suppose a certain percentage of users here or Facebook don't have an Instagram account, therefore can't participate, since the contest was announced in places which have their own separate communities than Instagram.

Participants who submitted names on the wrong place however, essentially didn't read the rules of participation correctly, so maybe that's just too bad for them. Unfortunately it's bound to make a bunch more people unhappy.

There's a risk this time to request more engagement once again (people liking content on your Instagram) which might backfire as the communities are already irritated, instead of ending in a simple and immediate way with a randomly picked winner.

13 minutes ago, supercurio said:

Please note that people have been participating by suggesting names in these forums, Facebook and Instagram.

I'd suspect the likes on instrgramm will be the relevant ones, as these was the announced platform for the contest:

Or does point 2) "Forward this post/Repost  this pic" means one can "leave instagram" and forward/repost to facebook/twitter/whatever?

But, yes - did not follow on these social media platforms, if there were many announcements on them this could be irritating. Maybe as likes are likes/thumbs up/hears/etc... and possible on all platforms they could easily be compared...

Clear and unmistakable (as far as possible) rules should help to keep customer satisfaction up.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Cecily Inmotion said:

I must explain the contest here to you all. I think there are some misunderstandings between us.

We suppose to give a V11 as the prize to the people who give the name and we choose the name to use it on our new product.

But finally we can't find a suitable name for our new product. We still want to thanks for everybody's effort on thinking about names.

After all, if we give somebody the V11 and we don't use his name, it will be unfair to other people who join in our contest as well. So we decide to choose three people randomly to give the accessories as our thanks.  

Please do not say we are scammers, we just want to make things look fair. 

At last, although we will not use the name from the contest as we really can't find a suitable name, we will still give a V11 as the prize. After a discussion, we decided to let you guys pick the winner! Comment the new euc name you love most on Ins and the one that gets the most likes will be the winner. He/She can get a V11 for sure.

V20S, proposed later by Mike-bike-kite seem to me one of the best proposals. Sometimes the best name is the most simple one. 

I think the most legit way to end this, is that you make a draw, write all Instagram account partecipants in folded paper sheets, place them in a bowl, pick one and that's the guy... all in an Instagram direct video, so none can complain it was staged 😂

• Like 3

Manufacturer's don't need to be here on the forum.

Perhaps members should appreciate their presence.

Perhaps members should appreciate the generosity of IM in giving away a V11 despite not liking any of the names suggested.

Is there actually anyone deserving of a free wheel?

Would anyone begrudge the family of Joel D'ort of receiving financial assistance in their time of need?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cecily Inmotion said:

@Cecily Inmotion has kindly offered a simple solution: Let forum members decide.

If the moderators are willing to set up a special ‘Inmotion Product Naming Contest’ topic where contestants can enter their IM names(s) the moderators can then easily tally up the votes at the conclusion of the contest and announce a winner. 

This method worked fine for my EUC  contest years ago. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Would anyone begrudge the family of Joel D'ort of receiving financial assistance in their time of need?

Although it certainly comes from a good sentiment, contests or giveaways must follow some rules to be legal in most countries which must be clearly stated.

In that case, the deal was:

• Participants promote Inmotion's Instagram content
  • Participants suggest names for Inmotion's next product
  • Inmotion pick winners who receive specific material gifts

In short: Inmotion buys marketing and engagement, pays with a V11 for the name contest and accessories for slogan contest

Now, there's no doubt that the contest was defined in a tricky way with this wording:

The person who suggested the winning name will get a prize —— INMOTION V11!

Which they thought was fair enough for not giving a V11 in case they didn't like any of the names, but is of course highly misleading, nobody would expect that a contest would be canceled after the first part of the deal: promotion was completed.

With all this, changing one more time the rules by converting the price from a V11 to cash, breaking the contract even further is not advisable. IMO the best option is to turn it into a standard giveaway at that point (random winner).

Of course, Inmotion could always make a donation as well, as a separate gesture of good will.

23 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Manufacturer's don't need to be here on the forum.

Perhaps members should appreciate their presence.

Perhaps members should appreciate the generosity of IM in giving away a V11 despite not liking any of the names suggested.

I don't understand your arguments... they are not supposed to give out things for free, just to stand by their word.

None told them to hold such a contest in the first place, kingsong and begode don't do that and none complains. 

But if you do it, then don't go back on your word. 

And this back up contest is bad, basically a good contest idea turned in an ugly "the guy with the most followers to ask for a like gets the wheel" 

Much fun

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Cecily Inmotion has kindly offered a simple solution: Let forum members decide.

If the moderators are willing to set up a special ‘Inmotion Product Naming Contest’ topic where contestants can enter their IM names(s) the moderators can then easily tally up the votes at the conclusion of the contest and announce a winner. 

This method worked fine for my EUC  contest years ago. 

I think that you misread like I did initially.

@Cecily Inmotion is not letting forum members decide.
It it still only about Instagram likes.
To be clear: this forum is 100% excluded from this contest, since the very beginning.

@Cecily Inmotion clarified it herself in this later post:

1 hour ago, Cecily Inmotion said:

We have considered about randomly pick a winner. But maybe some people will say we would choose somebody we know. It may not be fair. So we give the decision-making power to you guys. 

And for the issue that some people participating in these forum instead of on Instagram, I think next time when we hold a campaign, we will do it on Ins, Facebook and forum separately. So everybody can join in the campaign and get their prize from different platform. Thanks for your understanding.  

It's confusing but when she says "So we give the decision-making power to you guys."  she means "not us Inmotion", she doesn't mean you guys on forum.electricunicycle.org

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cecily Inmotion said:

We have considered about randomly pick a winner. But maybe some people will say we would choose somebody we know. It may not be fair. So we give the decision-making power to you guys. 

Understandable, it's a valid concern if you feel like the lack of trust in this instance could make things worse.
Since you already announced these are the new rules, I'm sure people started participating so it can't be changed anymore anyway.

In case you think of making a giveaway (random winner) another time, there's a way that's often used with good results:

The key is to make the random picking happen live.
It drives engagement by making people tune into a live stream, brings a community together which can be quite fun.
Then live, the organizer will have a list of users and put it on a site like: https://www.textfixer.com/tools/random-choice.php.
The site will decide who won from the list, and it's done!

And for the issue that some people participating in these forum instead of on Instagram, I think next time when we hold a campaign, we will do it on Ins, Facebook and forum separately. So everybody can join in the campaign and get their prize from different platform. Thanks for your understanding.  

Thanks I'm glad you have a better grasp now of the different communities involved. I'm sure it'll work better next time. 

Edited by supercurio

Members here are affluent enough to have disposable income to have purchased at least one EUC.

Some have multiple wheels, with more on order.

Seems to be greed and avarice to desire a free wheel.

Donations to the family of Joel D'ort in excess of funeral and repatriation costs will be donated in turn by his family to charities to help people in need.

Perhaps this is a more fair and equitable use of the V11 prize so generously offered by IM.

IM for their good intentions have been slandered and defamed with accusations of being scammers and vilified.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Members here are affluent enough to have disposable income to have purchased at least one EUC.

Some have multiple wheels, with more on order.

Seems to be greed and avarice to desire a free wheel.

Donations to the family of Joel D'ort in excess of funeral and repatriation costs will be donated in turn by his family to charities to help people in need.

Perhaps this is a more fair and equitable use of the V11 prize so generously offered by IM.

IM for their good intentions have been slandered and defamed with accusations of being scammers and vilified.

Yeap!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, supercurio said:

It's confusing but when she says "So we give the decision-making power to you guys."  she means "not us Inmotion", she doesn't mean you guys on forum.electricunicycle.org

Thanks for the clarification. Confusing indeed.  

51778781778_506ba91b73.jpg

• Like 1