Come and Join Product Naming Giveaway to Win an INMOTION V11 Electric Unicycle

INMOTION_Fiona

7 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Nope. Inmotion Global was created by Liam former marketing manager at Inmotion. 

Cecily is taking over and Fiona is also Inmotion staff but I am not sure if her role just yet. 

So how on earth did you come up with the idea they were Scammers? 

Because they created a contest with clear rules, publically, had people to follow their instructions, then went against their own writing. So that looks like a scam, but I wanted to ask 👌

I do not use Instagram, so I could not participate. Also I am not able to see if they posted any reason to what you claim. 

I guess we will get an explanation once they are back at work. 

Pretty Sad of Inmotion to go back on their word on this, that’s fine that they didn’t like any of the names for their V 13, however at least pick a winner @INMOTION_Fiona.

It certainly doesn’t look good. Now we are waiting for an official word on why several V12’s are cutting out and having issues.

I have to agree that Inmotion has pulled a jerk of a move.  I understand that they weren't happy with all the name ideas and couldn't select a name, however the offer of a free euc should still be on the table...perhaps a random draw to all participants?

BIG THUMBS DOWN TO INMOTION!  AND A HUGE LUMP OF COAL FOR THEM FOR CHRISTMAS.

• Like 1

From Cecily at the Inmotion Telegram chat:

But we see the feedbacks, and now we decide to give the prize as well. But we need to give a rule. We are thinking about it.

We’ll probably hear more in the next few days.

35 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Why not stick with a similar naming convention but add the size of the wheel like V20 (or whatever size wheel it is)? Maybe also add an S for suspension V20S.

I like your nickname choice :laughbounce2:  Sounds like a mock to Boris‘ -hands.face.space. Does anybody has any idea how many EUC riders are in London? I’ve only met three or four until now, that was by pure chance.

1 hour ago, Paul g said:

I like your nickname choice :laughbounce2:  Sounds like a mock to Boris‘ -hands.face.space. Does anybody has any idea how many EUC riders are in London? I’ve only met three or four until now, that was by pure chance.

I'm obviously called Mike. I used to have quite a few motorbikes but at the moment I have 2 (a Royal Enfield Classic 500 and a modern NC750X). I also used to fly kites and fly paramotors and even once ran London's 2nd largest kite day with about 10K people attending. I've had the name since the internet was young though now I'm getting on a bit, I'm not so sure the name matches my greying hair :)

Their are probably between four hundred and a thousand EUC riders here in London and tens of thousands of escooter riders. Even in the local area where I live I've bumped into 4 EUC riders. If you're looking for meet ups then the self named "Official UK Electric Unicycle Club" on facebook might be a possible place to look. It used to have London in the title.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I'm obviously called Mike. I used to have quite a few motorbikes but at the moment I have 2 (a Royal Enfield Classic 500 and a modern NC750X). I also used to fly kites and fly paramotors and even once ran London's 2nd largest kite day with about 10K people attending. I've had the name since the internet was young though now I'm getting on a bit, I'm not so sure the name matches my greying hair :)

Their are probably between four hundred and a thousand EUC riders here in London and tens of thousands of escooter riders. Even in the local area where I live I've bumped into 4 EUC riders. If you're looking for meet ups then the self named "Official UK Electric Unicycle Club" on facebook might be a possible place to look. It used to have London in the title.

Nice to hear about your motorcycling and flying hobbies. Looks like you are quite an adventure seeker. I like motorcycles too.
And thanks for the tip, I don’t have a facebook account, nor do I intend to make one, but is a good starting point, I could crash one of the meet ups ( when I will finally have a functioning wheel )

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mrelwood said:

From Cecily at the Inmotion Telegram chat:

But we see the feedbacks, and now we decide to give the prize as well. But we need to give a rule. We are thinking about it.

We’ll probably hear more in the next few days.

So when you get caught lying and not giving away a product because you decide there's no winner, the people who entered get a little pissy. Then you realize you've made a HUGE mistake that not only hurts your business but shines light on your ethics, you decide to follow thru or at least reconsider your first decision? Yeah, sometimes when I get caught doing something horrible, it makes it all better and cleans my soul when I simply redo it. It aint like I was lying and am only changing my tune because I got caught. I think its wretched to offer something then take it back. SOME of us have to eat our words and take a loss because life has taught us that its what you do when you put your word on something. If its a cultural thing, doesnt that say an awful lot about that culture?

• Like 1

It might be a good idea for @Cecily Inmotion to follow up in the forums on the topic she created on what happened to turn into a giveaway scam in the meantime.

Instead of having users ending up acting one more time as spokesmen for Inmotion, relay marketing information and start damage control.

Edited by supercurio
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, supercurio said:

It might be a good idea for @Cecily Inmotion to follow up in the forums on the topic she created on what happened to turn into a giveaway scam in the meantime.

Instead of having users ending up acting one more time as spokesmen for Inmotion, relay marketing information and start damage control.

We are still setting up things. While we get it sorted out, would you rather we didn't raise the things people talk about here? 

I rather it got sorted fast but that is not the case. 

Also forum isn't easy to access from China. You need to use vpn to pass Chinese government firewall. That is outside both the forum and Inmotions control. This is problem since long time back. And one reason why it took time to get brands on the forum. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Now a bit storm in a tiny glass of water. 🤔

Now I didn't follow this tightly mainly since I am not on Instagram or active on Facebook. 

But if I heard this right they called a competition to help naming next wheel coming from IM. 

I don't think they said exactly how to pick the name from the suggestions. Also not sure it said anything if they didn't find a suitable name either. 

On the flip side I do understand if some are disappointed if they had their hope up high. 

One might have been able to see such a situation could occur. I doubt it was the intent to do so from the beginning. 

It take often a few tries before marketing people see that something can create trouble. They tent to focus on the positive. 

I had to clean up messy campaign roles in 10+years and my marketing colleagues has still not understood how difficult that can be. 🙁

Now on top of that it is in the middle of holiday season and weekends. Adding time zone differences too, it takes time to sort out such a situation. 

Like I said earlier today let's see how this pans out once the dust settles. Not perfect by any means, but not the first time someone got a campaign to backfire either. 

So if we were to go by US TV series law firm style, I am not sure you can call it lying. 🤔

So many angry people out there these day. 🙄

Good point. I tend to represent the negative and far fetched point of view. Tbf, its not lying unless someone KNEW they were being misleading or had bad intent. If intentions are good, but it ends up in a manner that is unexpected, its more likely a matter of being 'wrong'.

All I know is that when you even hint at giving something away, you better be fully prepared to do so. Just as if you tell a customer its gna be between $50 and $100, they ONLY hear that its gna be $50. Im not in marketing either, but if I had a company that depended on it, I'd pay more attention or find someone qualified to do so. One wrong word in marketing and you can face law suits and ruin a business (in America). I just simply dont understand how THEY don't understand. We're all human, a lot of us are intelligent. WHY do we keep seeing stupid 'mistakes' and horrid ideas so often, from these companies? Starting campaigns then abandoning them. Ignoring the cries of customers to rectify HUGE mistakes. Making giveaways and not giving anything away? Geez, even after 3 yrs of watching the euc scene, I am still amazed and wonder how the hell these people make such glaring mistakes over and over?

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Not sure that In motion had the intention to scam people.  

Why would an established company with a worldwide market and reputation, knowingly and willingly seek to scam and offend members on an EUC specific forum?

The cost of an EUC would be insignificant for Inmotion, compared to the cost of damage to goodwill.

If Inmotion actually went ahead and used a name that was suggested, then that would be dishonest.

It might be that what they are saying is what they are actually truthfully thinking.

Inmotion don't like any of the names suggested, don't intend to use any of them, and therefore does not think they should award the prize.

Ludicrous to Westerners, but maybe logical to Inmotion.

Cultural differences that Westerners think are ludicrous can include such things as:

Arranged marriages

Dowries

Highly rigid caste structure of society

Multi generations living in the one abode

No such thing as a nursing home, children living with elderly parents are the carers.

Why would Inmotion want to annoy their customers?

• Like 3

🙄 The wording was clear "who will name the new wheel?" "the winner will be announced on 24/12“

Not much to read around. 

No disclaimers like, if none suggests the exact name we have already decided, never mind this contest. 

It's ok get angry when a company shows low integrity, we must pretend it... and being unaware that it's something important in our market "because culture" is no longer a good excuse... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rotan said:

🙄 The wording was clear "who will name the new wheel?" "the winner will be announced on 24/12“

Not much to read around. 

No disclaimers like, if none suggests the exact name we have already decided, never mind this contest. 

It's ok get angry when a company shows low integrity, we must pretend it... and being unaware that it's something important in our market "because culture" is no longer a good excuse... 

We do similar in America with 'invention' contests. A firm claims they will award the best idea a contract deal. IN the end, no deals are made and a lot of new products all a sudden get developed by the company holding the 'contest'. Amazon likes to identify who's products are selling the best, then suddenly an amazon branded knockoff appears. The 'fine print' makes it all possible. :cheers:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

We do similar in America with 'invention' contests. A firm claims they will award the best idea a contract deal. IN the end, no deals are made and a lot of new products all a sudden get developed by the company holding the 'contest'. Amazon likes to identify who's products are selling the best, then suddenly an amazon branded knockoff appears. The 'fine print' makes it all possible. :cheers:

That's just as bad 😂 so these invention contests are also scams. 

Amazon being the final evil boss of our age was already confirmed 🙌

Scams are present in all cultures, some try to hide them better then others, people should get mad still. 

In this particular case, intended or not, it LOOKED like a scam... it's ok to make it present

14 minutes ago, Rotan said:

Not much to read around. 

To explain this, the amount of disclaimers in the US is just plain silly. 

From what I have seen Asian companies are not really familiar with this unless there deal specific with US customers directly. 

In EU we are starting to see same trend as in the US. 

Now when I read something that doesn't have any disclaimers to it, I expect someone had not seen the pitfalls the competition or campaign could have. 

But like I said I am sure things will be solved in some way. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Paul A said:

Inmotion would be the largest brand of all the manufacturers?

Why would they knowingly and willingly want to cheat people in a very public manner?

Because they wanted a new name for a model but didn't want to pay the price of a free EUC?  

Does that really make sense?

I'd imagine sheer stupidity is the culprit here. They had too little to gain. We don't know if they are above acting shady for sales, but at least they are smart enough to do it in a more profitable and opaque fashion. I agree, they had nothing to gain by doing this. Hopefully they did gain something.... A little education in marketing strategies that work and those that don't. Perhaps think twice and type once is a good plan, when you represent a company that has media outlets reaching world wide. Has Inmo finally decided to hire a language team that can translate their manuals properly? NOthing says lazy, like broken ass English in an english sales manual or product advert. Seriously tho, how much grey matter does it take to know that what yuo print, represents your company. We dont expect China to speak fluent in every language, but I expect them to know how to hire someone who does. Im legitimately curious. Does Inmo do pretty good at their printed materials? I know KS and Veteran and GW, dont feel it prudent to hire multilingual spell/word checkers of quality. Its funny to buy a $3000 item and get a booklet with horrid spelling and awful content. Its details like this that give me so much ammo to bitch about incessantly. I guess I should thank them!

Now we get to see if they take the loss and hand out a wheel, or if they hold tight to their original findings, and NOT take the loss. We ALL know that in the USA, a company would hand that out in a heartbeat, as liability and bad PR costs more and lasts longer, than a simple product for gratis.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1