EUC World 2.10 is out

Seba

Very nice! I followed the advice for iPhone users as stated in the blog post (did this a while ago).

I have one small UX suggestion: a screen rotation lock button. Somewhere on the main screen a small button that allows the user to lock or unlock auto screen rotation instead of needing to access a menu item. This way, the user can unlock, rotate the phone to desired orientation and re-lock.

Appreciate all your hard work @Seba! I will be purchasing a paid subscription!

• Like 1

Nice work @Seba, together with my "new" Pebble2, its super.
If I can suggest you something (I know you already have tons of ideas) - I would be very happy to have two web features: comparation of two Tours (to see difference in riding style, weight, wind etc. in graphs. Btw is there zoom?) and also folders to sort all on my records.
I really enjoy all the numbers, graphs etc.:thumbup:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

@Nick McCutcheon you have to be connected to an EUC, and not logging data or a tour, to change the battery algorithm ;)

Yep! I can see a setting to change the algorithm, but I remember there used to be a separate toggle to disable battery level averaging. When I connect to a wheel it takes maybe about 15-20 seconds for the battery level to stabilize up from zero (due to the averaging that's being done), and I'd prefer to turn that off so I can see my instantaneous battery level to better determine what my safe top speed is. I could look at the voltage, but I just thought I would ask if this feature has been nixed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

Yep! I can see a setting to change the algorithm, but I remember there used to be a separate toggle to disable battery level averaging. When I connect to a wheel it takes maybe about 15-20 seconds for the battery level to stabilize up from zero (due to the averaging that's being done), and I'd prefer to turn that off so I can see my instantaneous battery level to better determine what my safe top speed is. I could look at the voltage, but I just thought I would ask if this feature has been nixed.

Battery level slowly rising from 0% after connection is definitely a bug in the app. It should display battery level instantly. I'll check it, thanks for reporting.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Seba said:

Battery level slowly rising from 0% after connection is definitely a bug in the app. It should display battery level instantly. I'll check it, thanks for reporting.

Is the battery averaging toggle gone? I prefer it disabled.

11 minutes ago, amomymous said:

Is the battery averaging toggle gone? I prefer it disabled.

Use battery voltage instead of battery level. Battery level is intended to represent remaining battery charge, so it shouldn't be influenced by momentary changes in motor load etc. This is why averaging and some other math is used to achieve this goal.

9 minutes ago, Seba said:

Use battery voltage instead of battery level. Battery level is intended to represent remaining battery charge, so it shouldn't be influenced by momentary changes in motor load etc. This is why averaging and some other math is used to achieve this goal.

That might work, but I'm not sure how voltage relates to percentage. In my case 84v are 100% but how many are 50%

2 minutes ago, amomymous said:

That might work, but I'm not sure how voltage relates to percentage. In my case 84v are 100% but how many are 50%

GW historicly had a battery voltage range from 3.3V == 0% to ~4.113V == 100%. So 66V == 0% to ~82.25V == 100%.

Inbetween normal linear interpolation is used.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, amomymous said:

But what you're expecting to achieve by having varying battery level readout? If you need to examine how much battery voltage changes (eg. to determine voltage sag), watch battery voltage. Battery level is a measure of energy stored in the battery. It doesn't fluctuate with changing motor load.

1 hour ago, Seba said:

Its always done this for me, I thought it was normal when set to the 'averaging' settings?!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Seba said:

But what you're expecting to achieve by having varying battery level readout? If you need to examine how much battery voltage changes (eg. to determine voltage sag), watch battery voltage. Battery level is a measure of energy stored in the battery. It doesn't fluctuate with changing motor load.

Exactly. I didn't know what voltage sag was expected, so I was looking at the battery sag. Seeing a sudden drop to like 20% is meaningful to me where 70v isn't. Using @Chriullformula I can now make sense of the voltage.

6 minutes ago, amomymous said:

Exactly. I didn't know what voltage sag was expected, so I was looking at the battery sag. Seeing a sudden drop to like 20% is meaningful to me where 70v isn't. Using @Chriullformula I can now make sense of the voltage.

But "battery level sag" is something that doesn't exist in real world :) Battery doesn't get depleted then recharged by amount of 20 % just because you've accelerated and then decelerated within seconds or even minutes. So watching battery level fluctuations was completely meaningless. More, voltage sag doesn't even represent momentary battery voltage, as it doesn't account for various resistances (wiring, connectors etc.) and reactances (capacitors) of EUC electric circuit. It's more complicated than what people often say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seba said:

More, voltage sag doesn't even represent momentary battery voltage, as it doesn't account for various resistances (wiring, connectors etc.) and reactances (capacitors) of EUC electric circuit. It's more complicated than what people often say.

It's always more complicated than it appears so you have to be careful with how your are using the information you're given. The instantaneous voltage delivered to the motor is somewhat indicative of available thrust but if I wanted to know "how close to faceplate am I", I'd be paying attention to the PWM reading (wheel dependent of course). No matter what the conditions are that lead to 100% duty cycle on the PWM, the controller is trying to deliver all it has and there isn't any more. It doesn't matter if the reason there isn't any more is because of the hill, or the person you're carrying on your back, or the battery voltage, or the wind gust, or the rolling resistance of the wheel, or your speed—there isn't any more... so it's prudent to back off. Battery voltage is just one factor.

19 hours ago, Seba said:

But "battery level sag" is something that doesn't exist in real world :) Battery doesn't get depleted then recharged by amount of 20 % just because you've accelerated and then decelerated within seconds or even minutes. So watching battery level fluctuations was completely meaningless. More, voltage sag doesn't even represent momentary battery voltage, as it doesn't account for various resistances (wiring, connectors etc.) and reactances (capacitors) of EUC electric circuit. It's more complicated than what people often say.

Yes, battery flactuation wasn't real, but it was meaningful. I'll be using the voltage fluctuation from now on, but it's not perfect as people need to know the voltage formulas and it's harder to make something out of it, compared to seeing percentages. Introducing some PWM metric would be really helpful.

Update: The voltage sag isn't on the main screen of the smartwatch app, so I have to stick with battery sag.

Edited by amomymous

• 2 weeks later...

I must have missed it somewhere, but in v2.10, is there any way to set the length of time that charge control will keep the power on after the current draw has dropped below threshold? I’d like to stay on for 3 hours but can’t find a setting. TIA!

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

I must have missed it somewhere, but in v2.10, is there any way to set the length of time that charge control will keep the power on after the current draw has dropped below threshold? I’d like to stay on for 3 hours but can’t find a setting. TIA!

@Tawpie I have 2.10.2 installed and just made these screenshots for you today, so the option is definitely there:

Charging limit

Charging limit 1

Edited by fbhb

Ah. Thank you, that’s what I have set now, but the plug turns itself off anyway. I interpreted that setting to be sort of a “don’t charge longer than this even if the battery isn’t full yet”.

If I let my 16x sit in charger for 3 hours after green, it ends up at 83.9v, but when the HS110 cuts it off the post-charge voltage is 83.6. Probably not a problem, but I’d like it better to leave the charger on longer.

• Like 1