If I am around 240 lbs 6'3 which would be better for me?

I am currently going back and forth between the MCM5 V.2  and the KS16S and I am not sure if I should get the KS16S because it is a 16 inch wheel and which might get me a bit more range (I know my weight will affect the range). on ewheels the KS16S also comes with the free XL pedals which sounds nice as I have size 14 US shoe size and seems like it would be more comfortable for me. I have also noticed that the MCM5 V.2 has a higher top speed of 25 mph compared to the KS16S which sounds nice. This will be my first euc and I am just looking for some advice on which would be better suited for someone like me. Also if I were to get the KS16S I see that it has a bodyguard on ewheels but the MCM5 V.2 does not have an option for it there.

• Like 2

I'm 192cm and 130kg (6'4 and 286 in freedom units).

I owned KS16S and MSX. Opt for an 18 inch wheel, the difference in stability massive - subjectively riding MSX is about 5 times more stable than KS16S.
There is just no comparison.

MCM5 is an 14 inch wheel. With your weight you'll be very unstable - every bump is gonna be an ordeal. It's a fine city wheel for a very light person, but not for us.

Bodyguard doesn't matter - for training use a lot of cardboard or bubble-wrap and duct tape. Remove it after 1000km.

Don't go lower than 18'. I've done 1300km on my KS16S, but it was way more stressful than MSX.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 3

Of the two you mention, go with the bigger. My vote still goes to the Ks18xl/l. You simply can't do much better for an all rounder and its round, haha! @atdlzpae hits the nail on the head. Bigger people need skip right on past the smaller battery models, for their goto wheels. The MCM and Mten are nice and fun, but I'm only 130lbs and they are regulated to playing in small areas or short trips. For a first euc, grab a full sized with decent battery and consider it a done deal for a while. For a person your size, go bigger rather than smaller. 

RollNZ covers do well for protecting and making a wheel more comfy. However, don't let that detail keep you from buying a wheel that doesnt have a cover. Fwiw, Im selling a GREAT running 18L atm, simply because I have an 18XL and they just keep working.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

I am 6’3” 220pounds. I got the 16s as my first wheel. If given the choice between the two, definitely go with the 16s. You have to start somewhere and the 16s is a good strong wheel. .....................   However..... my vote is for the 18XL 

• Like 2

+1 big guy on a 16S - 6'1" 215.  It's a fantastic wheel but you're going to be cursing the speed limit in a month.  Spend a little more and get something with a higher top speed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I agree that both of these are too small/weak for your weight.

Get a 16x3 wheel (V12, Nikola, 16X) or an 18 incher.

I agree completely....... however you have to hook the guy before you can reel him in. ;) Sometimes the starting price is just too high, even though six months later you end up buying every wheel available. 

• Like 2

Yea the 16x and 18 xl are the real ones ive been looking at and i have the money and i could justify it to myself if i just save up a bit more but im only 21 and my family looks at me like i am a legit psyco when i say i wana buy a electric unicycle that costs $2000 dollars even when i show them videos of what they are capable of doing. If i do buy an 18xl how much would the resell value be if i end up not liking it, after all this will be my first euc. I feel like i will love it but that what if is stuck in the back of my head.

• Like 2

Add me to the list of those bigger dudes (6'1", 245ish), who had a perfectly good time with the 16S as a wheel for quite a while. Then the 18XL was a really wonderful step up and was my main wheel for a long time. A lot of these (18XLs) have been become available second hand around here as guys move on to bigger and faster wheels, although the 18XLs can handle most of the group rides we do just fine.

As long as you don't bang it up too badly, whatever wheel you get will most likely be easy to sell second-hand when the day comes to upgrade.

14 minutes ago, Dogmaticjoe said:

My family looks at me like I am a legit psyco when i say i wana buy a electric unicycle that costs $2000 dollars

Yeah, That happens a lot. I quit telling people how much wheels cost. ......... I had a $5,000 bicycle. I like the my EUC better. 

21 minutes ago, Dogmaticjoe said:

how much would the resell value be if i end up not liking it, after all this will be my first euc.

Depends on how much you scratch it up. ( you can wrap the shell with a towel and packing tape to protect it).
 I believe that there is more of a market for the 18XL though. 

And i watched a review that said the v2 software on the 18 xl throttles speed after 50% instead of 25% but ewheels still lists it at speed throttle at 25%. Can anyone confirm or deny if this is true?

Edited by Dogmaticjoe

4 hours ago, Dogmaticjoe said:

And i watched a review that said the v2 software on the 18 xl throttles speed after 50% instead of 25% but ewheels still lists it at speed throttle at 25%. Can anyone confirm or deny if this is true?

Thats a good question and I recall seeing a posting around this place about it. My old 18L throttled at 25%. Honestly tho, it didnt go very far once that low. I dont think battery use is linear and it empties fast at the bottom, like an old Chevette. I havent gotten my 18XL very low as it just keeps going and going and going. Once the rain passes on, I think I'll do some rides to the gas station so I can honestly know and answer that. Hopefully someone else can clarify first tho. I'll ask Jason, as he probably knows.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I'm 6"1", 235, and I started on the KS XL. Great wheel, I like the app connectivity, design and overall simplicity of it.

After about 700km of training, I could very easily over power the XL though... beep-beep-beep, in rapid succession at the top of a steep climb, or when I lean in just a bit too much when accelerating is unnerving.... 700km is nothing on a wheel, you'll go thousands of kms on the right one.

I have a GW RS HT, and it is actually the right wheel for me. More stable, more torque, and even with power pads it's very difficult to hit the warning beeper. Like, really difficult. I'm pushing harder than I ever really plan to do when riding the wheel over almost anything -- think steep, steep climbs, arms out accelerating with all you have. Once you figure out how to ride, the XL probably isn't enough wheel...

just my humble opinion

And yes, just start with an 18, f those little toy wheels that you can step on and smash :)

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 3

On 7/3/2021 at 3:10 PM, UniMe said:

I have a GW RS HT, and it is actually the right wheel for me.

Good call! My favorite wheel is the MSP HT. It has never beeped at me for overload and I hover around 250-255lbs. The 18XL is good though and will probably take a tumble much better than a GW/BG which is key for learning (unless you want to wrap your wheel in that foam piping which looks silly IMHO).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 10:07 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

Of the two you mention, go with the bigger. My vote still goes to the Ks18xl/l. You simply can't do much better for an all rounder and its round, haha! @atdlzpae hits the nail on the head. Bigger people need skip right on past the smaller battery models, for their goto wheels. The MCM and Mten are nice and fun, but I'm only 130lbs and they are regulated to playing in small areas or short trips. For a first euc, grab a full sized with decent battery and consider it a done deal for a while. For a person your size, go bigger rather than smaller. 

RollNZ covers do well for protecting and making a wheel more comfy. However, don't let that detail keep you from buying a wheel that doesnt have a cover. Fwiw, Im selling a GREAT running 18L atm, simply because I have an 18XL and they just keep working.

Is your 18L still for sale? Im a first time rider looking for a decent first wheel, again im a heavier chap at about 110kg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darren Crosbie-Rowlands said:

Is your 18L still for sale? Im a first time rider looking for a decent first wheel, again im a heavier chap at about 110kg

No, it's found a home in California. Thank you for asking. I'm USA based anyhow, I have zero idea how much or how possible overseas with an euc is for shipping. Keep your eyes peeled, hopefully something will turn up.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

No, it's found a home in California. Thank you for asking. I'm USA based anyhow, I have zero idea how much or how possible overseas with an euc is for shipping. Keep your eyes peeled, hopefully something will turn up.

Thanks Shane, im hoping i can find something 🤞

• Like 1

I honestly think you'll form better riding habits if you start with a 16", and have more fun at slower "learning speeds". I am 6'4" 250; I can't imagine ever parting with my Nikola. I found it vastly more stable than my Tesla, while being just as easy to access the power.  I shake my head when people steer "big fellas" into giant wheels like Monsters, that have dangerously low starting torque. Torque is something most of the world has in abundance - and we don't. The other ingredient we need is a 3" tire. Our weight demands the tire be rock hard, and a 2" tire hurts the feet. 3" gives us some comfort and protection back, and slows down steering. A 2.5" H666 would be a good compromise because of thick sidewalls. So I would steer you into a 16x, Nikola, or V12, or go for a RS-HT if you'd rather try an 18". And no reason to just ease into the hobby - just commit to dropping $2k right off the start, because you WILL spend it when you become as addicted as Charlie Sheen.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Darren Crosbie-Rowlands said:

Been offered a used MSP HT at a good price but think it could be too much as a starter wheel.

I don't believe there will be a big difference between a 16X and MSP - the msuper form factor is rather small and light, compared to other 18-20 inchers.

Also, I don't believe in "too much as a starter wheel" (unless you mean price).

Get the wheel you instinctively want and do not worry about starter wheel or not:)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I don't believe there will be a big difference between a 16X and MSP - the msuper form factor is rather small and light, compared to other 18-20 inchers.

Also, I don't believe in "too much as a starter wheel" (unless you mean price).

Get the wheel you instinctively want and do not worry about starter wheel or not:)

I agree. If a person has ANY conviction and are dead set on learning how to ride, don't waste money on a 'learner' wheel. I hear the 16x is a great wheel, but its also not a good one for maintaining high 20's in speed. As much as I prefer KS quality over GW, I'd about say to go bigger than smaller anyhow.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

just to chime in, a Sherman may be too much wheel to learn on (it's a big thing) but I agree than an MSP would be fine.

I have a GW RS and a KS XL, the RS is a bit shorter and wider, and weighs more, but in truth it feels like less wheel when I'm riding it. More planted, lower center of gravity.

• Like 1