Loss of my beloved Nik+.....

Guy

Sad story... I'm currently waiting the delivery of my 1.8 kw Nik +, can't wait to try my first high end wheel and to show off these fancy leds... ordered on 23 march, will arrive 7th May... I had this indecision too but finally picked the Nik + for it feels a safe choice, it's cheap now for what it offers and doesn't exeed 2kw motor power, that is the legal limit in my country (not that they check but who knows).

V11 looks like a very complete package, I dislike the looks and fear the feel of these high pedals... and there's the bearings roulette. Who knows how much time-proof the suspension will be, I'm very courious about the aging of that wheel.

S18 looks very beautiful, and has no hollow motor... it's my favourite suspension wheel but definetly not made to go fast and very far. Also following to see how it sustains time and usage.

Other than that or an other nik +, being scared of possible problems with new hollow motors, I was also looking into ks 18xl and 16x

• Like 1

Yes. My Nik was almost perfection to me. Its loss crushes me. Nothing was more enjoyable than riding and carving on it. I lived for it............

• Like 1

That is a crying shame....if it were me, I’d fish it out of there for closure, and plant it as a yard ornament. But that’s just me.

I don’t think  I’ll ever give up “the leash” for that very reason. 

• Like 1

I get what you feel, just started riding my Nik+ and am a bit afraid of how addicted I became to the thing :D. Haven't tried other wheels so don't know if this is exclusive for Nik (probably all fast wheels), but that feeling of riding it... You just think it - and you're there

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Guy said:

Hey everyone. With a VERY heavy heart, I lost my wonderful Loomo 2.6kWh Nik+ into the ocean. A stupid slow speed fall next to a marina. 

One of the reasons why I absolutely detest riding close to water : the slightest tumble can transform your 2000$ machine into a wet brick. 

Edited by Kristof Willen
  • Like 1

HI

I would fish it outing take it apart ,rinse it with fresh water to get the salt water off that would probably mean opening the wheel as well.

take it apart rinse and let it dry out.

Do not try to turn it on until you are sure it is very dry.

I have seen a camera fall in the water and they were so excited to get it back, they than turned it on to see if it still works. and that was there down fall.

send it my may Id have fun with it.

Cheer Ron  

Hey guys. Could not get my Nik+ back. Too deep. Yet, on Thursday, I ordered a new Gotway EX from EUCO. It arrives on Tuesday of next week. I hope the EX will be a good successor to the Nik. It was down to waiting 3 months for another Nik or trying the EX with suspension and seat in about a week. Also, spending $3.6k on the EX was not easy. I'll let you guys know what the EX is like for me. I look forward very much to be back on a big fast wheel again. Luckily, I've gotten used to my V8 again. She's a good old wheel. Funny, I get to tilt back in a couple of seconds from start. Yet she still carves like a light small wheel. Peace guys. Enjoy this unique, enjoyable, and very personal pastime. From Maine USA...Guy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guy, I didn't realize you got the EX because you lost the Nik. I've been terrified of that happening near water. I'm sorry for your loss.
Due to my nature of having so many interests and trying them, I actually have scuba gear. I would be more than happy to help you pull it up. I've been looking for an opportunity to use my certification ever since I got it. It would be very interesting to see what it looks like after a month or two. 

• Like 2

Hey Giffy. I'm waiting for a little warmer weather and sea temperature, also low tide, and I'm going in to get the Nik out and back.Yea. I used to be certified NAUI. Haven't dove in years though. Still have wet suits and a semi-dry. No BC or tank. What I was thinking is to dive to the wheel and put a rope through the handle then pull the wheel out on shore, bulkhead after getting out. There will probably be very little I can use as parts from the Nik, yet its worth a try. I'm doing alright on the EX. The EX is like a monster Nik+. Really, thinly thing I'm have a little difficulty with when mounting the wheel is pedal height from the ground. The suspension really places the pedals way up. The suspension is interesting. 28 psi tire pressure eats up the slower speed bumps, like it did on the Nik, yet at speed, the suspension eats up those bumps. Its sweet! Hope I get my seat soon. Ordered one with the wheel. It'll be nice on longer rides. Even being near 90 pounds, I can still carve the EX like the Nik. Especially at faster speeds. 25-35 mph. I ride without pads which suits me fine. I probably could access more forward power with pads, yet I really don't need too. I keep my left foot back, on the pedal, so braking is as easy as the Nik. I pretty much ride the EX like my poor wet Nik. The EX is REALY heavy to carry up my front porch stairs though! It's got a better handle than the Nik, so its kind of a tradeoff. I hope we can group ride some day. Peace from Cape...Guy

Edited by Guy
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 8:02 PM, Big Bad Ron said:

HI

I would fish it outing take it apart ,rinse it with fresh water to get the salt water off that would probably mean opening the wheel as well.

take it apart rinse and let it dry out.

Do not try to turn it on until you are sure it is very dry.

I have seen a camera fall in the water and they were so excited to get it back, they than turned it on to see if it still works. and that was there down fall.

send it my may Id have fun with it.

Cheer Ron  

This might be the worst advice ever. Any wheel that is submerged into a standing body of water is going to be an instant thermal runaway risk.  I’m sure OP would be more than happy to tell you where he dropped the wheel so you can burn your house down. 

OP, sorry for your loss. 

Edited by Ben Kim
  • Like 3

Very true. If I was going to fish it out I would be handling it at a very long distance with a stick.

That said, it may well have already gone up in flames underwater, would anyone have noticed a large amount of bubbles at the surface?

In any event, there would be nothing to salvage from it except maybe the tyre and case, and even then only if the aformentioned underwater pyro fest hasnt already occured.

10 hours ago, Ben Kim said:

Any wheel that is submerged into a standing body of water is going to be an instant thermal runaway risk.

While I'm certainly not advocating attempting anything in the confines of your living room, I'd be very surprised if there was any charge left in the batteries. The OP mentioned he was waiting for low tide, which means it's in salt water. Salt water contains a lot of electrolytes which means it conducts very nicely; the battery would have shorted out very soon after it hit the water (knowing how waterproof these wheels are). Some components may be salvageable - the battery is definitely not one of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mantraguy said:

While I'm certainly not advocating attempting anything in the confines of your living room, I'd be very surprised if there was any charge left in the batteries. The OP mentioned he was waiting for low tide, which means it's in salt water. Salt water contains a lot of electrolytes which means it conducts very nicely; the battery would have shorted out very soon after it hit the water (knowing how waterproof these wheels are). Some components may be salvageable - the battery is definitely not one of them.

The batteries are siliconed shut, which make them reasonably water resistant, perhaps over the course of a few days they'd discharge from submersion, but if the wheel was salvaged immediately after immersion, they'd 100% be a fire risk.

One of our local riders salvaged the battery packs from a 100V Gotway when it was immersed in water, and proceeded to burn another rider's apartment down when it combusted overnight.  I will not name names.

I agree with you guys. I saw bubbling white smoke come up from the wheel as it was submerged. The bubbling and smoke did stop after about 5-10 minutes. Nothing since. I've been by many times since. I will find a correct disposal place for the batteries. The only salvageable parts are probably the non-electrical parts: shell, if not destroyed by the batteries, tire, tube, cover, handle, pedals, etc. Still' it would be nice to rebuild the wheel. Probably to the state of an original 1.8 kWh Nik+ instead of the 2.6 kWr as I now have the EX for long distance. The project, if we are able to find the submerged Nik, will be interesting. Oh, I did a group ride in/near Kennebuck, Maine, with Giffy, Wilson, and  other riders. I finally got to ride other wheels. A Sherman, S18, and a MSP. Nice wheels all. There were two Monsters also. Fun time! Thanks Giffy! Peace...Guy

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Guy said:

Oh, I did a group ride in/near Kennebuck, Maine, with Giffy, Wilson, and  other riders. I finally got to ride other wheels. A Sherman, S18, and a MSP. Nice wheels all. There were two Monsters also. Fun time! Thanks Giffy! Peace...Guy

It was a great time. Thanks for letting me try your EX. I was interesting to ride such a heavy wheel without pads on it lol. You made it in Wilson's video too by the way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaqlEqpaANg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Guy said:

Hey guys! I got my Nik back out of the water. It's pretty much toast! :( The batteries burned while underwater. The heat damaged all of the shell. Melted! I'll get a handle, pedals, tire, and hardware from the Nik, but that's about it. Too little wheel to rebuild. The batteries will be taken to a recycling center today. Poor old Nik. She was, and still is, my favorite wheel. Peace...Guy

Yeah, I lost my 100V MSX in this fashion... a silly fall on gravel by a river. Heres what you need to know.. (from research I did at the time)

The electrolytic damage is almost immediate even if you  fish it out of non-salt water within 2 minutes of a dunking. Even in this time in salt water its toast.  the electrolytic destruction is catastrophic. It might not be clear immediately but by the time you get it home to clean, the damage has been done and overnight youll begin to see the signs as the corrosion continues in parts of the wheel you couldn't clean enough rapidly unfortunately because the voltages work the solute immediately. The wheel motor will definitely receive damage but due to the thickness of cabling may be workable, albeit reduced efficiency of the motor .

Once it goes in... its basically in the bin. Of course I now stay away from Water edges

Good luck with your next wheel...

Edited by RayBanMonster
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:

worthless-gif.36682

I personally know how hard it is to drown a wheel. Pictures? Not sure if this is to soon. 

51221057969_67f021f193_b.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I personally know how hard it is to drown a wheel. Pictures? Not sure if this is to soon. 

51221057969_67f021f193_b.jpg

I don't know how you do it. But you seem ha e all kind if odd things happening to you. Wheels might suffer but the great part is you always seem to bounce back up again @Rehab1. How you do that keeps amazing me. 😏😉

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I don't know how you do it. But you seem ha e all kind if odd things happening to you. Wheels might suffer but the great part is you always seem to bounce back up again @Rehab1. How you do that keeps amazing me. 😏😉

Hey buddy, we all bounce back from troubling issues most of the time. Family definitely helps. There’s only one major crisis in my life that really tossed me down a dark hole. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Hey buddy, we all bounce back from troubling issues most of the time. Family definitely helps. There’s only one major crisis in my life that really tossed me down a dark hole. 

Ohh sorry I didn't mean to go down that road. 

What I meant is you 99% of the time bring a big smile on my face. It rare to meet people like that. 

It is so commen to see how some people put others down. You are as far to the other end of the scale. Bringing joy and inspiration. 

The stories you can tell and the pictires to go with them. 👍🍻

• Like 1