Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

I wish manufacturers would adopt the attitude of "what is the largest screw/bolt we could use" in each usage scenario rather than the smallest they can get away with.  Would cure a lot of problems I believe and I would gladly pay the extra $10 it would cost.

I think one of the main take aways from the video is that an impact driver or rattle gun as we call them is an essential tool kit item for EUC maintenance.   Oh and invest in a decent Japanese,American or German set of hex driver bits.  Your typical Aliexpress offering is only going to lead to frustration. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, techyiam said:

However, it is always prudent to get the servicing instructions from the manufacturer, if available. 

Although this is not the “American way” of approaching this problem 😂, it is certainly a prudent approach. In the motorcycling world, we call them “Factory Service Manuals”. 

5 hours ago, supercurio said:

What surprised me is that it was still necessary to heat these screws.

Aside from the screw concerns, the S20 doesn't look too bad if you compare to the V12!

I am not surprised since I believe Kingsong is serious about making a durable off-road euc.

Ironically, I prefer to work on the V12 than the T3. The V12 is not more complex but has more of a western company quality to it. I would also add that the 18XL can be considered to have a better build quality than the T3, but it is still below the V12, IMHO.

If the driver board crisis is fully resolved, and the fixed firmware released, I think the V12 is going to be quite stellar overall (at least for those who like 16" wheels).  I am hoping that the S20 will be even better than the V12. I am quite anxious to buy a new wheel. The addiction is real.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EDCampstore said:

Although this is not the “American way” of approaching this problem 😂, it is certainly a prudent approach. In the motorcycling world, we call them “Factory Service Manuals”. 

I believe we are a very long ways off from that. Just image the dealers were not only not able to get a shock pressure-rider weight chart for the Hero, they can't even get a starting point for any weight rider except for one rider weight, Begode's test rider.

Edited by techyiam

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

set tire pressure to allow turning the way I like it (get the desired tire profile, protect the rim etc.)

• compression to as low as it goes (most squishy)
  • rebound damping to as fast as it goes (max pogo stick)
  • set spring preload so that when I stand carefully on the wheel the shock goes to 20-30% of its max travel
  • do some drops that I plan to do, I'll ride off curbs... increase rebound damping until the pogo stick effect is reduced to the level I like
  • adjust compression "to taste", depending on riding conditions. It'll be 'hard' for crazy accelerations, softer for generally ok roads, softer still for gnarly drops.

I do ride dual suspension mountain bikes and motorcycles, but no experience on suspension  euc's. This is a good sensible, systematic series of steps to arrive at a good starting point for mtb. So without knowing any better, I too would probably start out with settings derive from my experiences on mtb's.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tawpie said:

I think this is because shock setup is 100% tailored to each individual rider, so I'm going to follow the advice given by the mtb crews for setting up coil-over shocks namely:

• set tire pressure to allow turning the way I like it (get the desired tire profile, protect the rim etc.)
  • compression to as low as it goes (most squishy)
  • rebound damping to as fast as it goes (max pogo stick)
  • set spring preload so that when I stand carefully on the wheel the shock goes to 20-30% of its max travel
  • do some drops that I plan to do, I'll ride off curbs... increase rebound damping until the pogo stick effect is reduced to the level I like
  • adjust compression "to taste", depending on riding conditions. It'll be 'hard' for crazy accelerations, softer for generally ok roads, softer still for gnarly drops

It would be really cool if the compression was auto-adjusted when you accelerate hard but that's something for 2024. Some mtb shocks do have 'lever activated' models that give you a control on the bar to set the compression without fiddling with the shock itself.

Great advice. I did the curb test with my S18 and the difference on the trails was like night and day.

Edited by Curt8892

2 hours ago, fbhb said:

I am in total agreement with @Rolzi regarding what he wrote above and posted my similar thoughts here previously. I too made the same observation in thinking the S20 motor would be much easier to remove from the 

Me three, after you two have pointed that out again, and me having watched Kevin's video again. 

Good detective work.

Having said that, Kingsong could have informed Kevin about the S20's unprecedented, simpler tire change procedure. Not only will this save Kevin time, but also save him from grief since he would not have to deal with fasteners coated with permanent thread locking compound if the conventional disassembly procedure is used. With a stronger locking compound, Kingsong can provide a more durable product without affecting service since those fasteners don't need to be removed for regular maintenance and repairs. 

From what I can gather from watching his video, he has been wrenching euc's for a while. He has seen many a time how tire changes are done. He has build up a level of expectation. Out of the blue, wiithout warning, comes S20 with no instructions. I can now see why he reacted the way he did in the video.

• Like 3

This would make wheel removal a simpler procedure, that is not in dispute, however, it was, again, the motor which was to be investigated, not the tyre.  But let’s agree we go with the modular breakdown, and we’ve now got the wheel assembly with the sub chassis attached free, and the rest of the unit (battery casing etc) intact: we’re still going to have to remove these central four screws on the wire-in-out side of the wheel. Does this in any way lessen the hold of these four bearing screws?

• Like 1

Opening up a motor should not be considered regular maintenance nor normal repair. Kevin was asked to investigate a motor defect.

For the average owner, once he has the wheel assembly out, would he not just send it to where it bought it from?

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 2

There are motorcycle and car owners who rebuild their engines. But these owners aren't unskilled in this type of work, nor poorly equipped tool wise. One can wing it I suppose. I guess there are always YouTube videos if they exist.

The Kingsong production assembly video showed how one axle screw was screwed in. What do you see here that makes it impossible to remove. 

Owners who are successful changing  bearings are not going to be stumped by these four axle bolts. I doubt they need you to worry for them either.

Edited by techyiam

2 hours ago, Freeforester said:

This would make wheel removal a simpler procedure, that is not in dispute, however, it was, again, the motor which was to be investigated, not the tyre.  But let’s agree we go with the modular breakdown, and we’ve now got the wheel assembly with the sub chassis attached free, and the rest of the unit (battery casing etc) intact: we’re still going to have to remove these central four screws on the wire-in-out side of the wheel. Does this in any way lessen the hold of these four bearing screws?

"The production wheels will not have this problem"

If the do, we can call Kevin a liar and be sad/angry.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, supercurio said:

I remember knocking noise being a thing with the S18 as discussed in this thread.

But did you read the last post in the S18 knocking noise thread that you referred to? It was resolved by sending the wheel back to eWheels for repair. And it was successfully repaired by eWheels. eWheels did not sent out a new motor nor the owner opened up the motor himself.

You are making up numerous negative outcomes after assuming that the S20 motor cannot be opened up for repairs. Has Kingsong officially verified this to be the case. No chance right? They themselves have asked Afeez's tech to open one up. 

You may have changed wheel bearings successfully, but you have not failed to open up a S20 motor either. I fail to see your point.

Edited by techyiam
  • Like 1

The novel slider used in the S20 facilitates quick tire removal. There is no need to worry about oil leaks. It uses grease. Additionally, it uses four sliding friction elements made from polymers per side. Since it of an open design, unlike front forks, or links and pin joints, its sliding surfaces are exposed to the environment. This suspension design should be cost effective. There will be some stiction. But the question that needs to be answered is how durable is it, and how much maintenance is required.?

Edited by techyiam
  • Upvote 1