Kingsong S20/S22 (Confirmed)

Mango

3 hours ago, Rawnei said:

What he is talking about is magnets skipping, I don't think anyone reported magnets skipping on S22 while breaking, people who said it was hard to break most likely did not have the right geometry configuration: pedals too high (you can change that) and foot position too much forward.

I think this is due to the specificity of the braking that he does with a short and intense ankle movement, rather than bending over like most people who sit down for emergency braking which applies a more linear force

We saw the same thing with the same technique at acceleration this time when the first sherman was tested in NY, nobody reported any problem at acceleration and a young light rider made it dip very easily by using his ankles like Ustride does

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

1) U-stride said that the pedals felt soft from the start, despite being in the hard mode. That already suggests that there was probably a failed capacitor or other failure present. To U-stride that behavior is now of course stamped on the S20, which probably made him do the video above.

Or could it be just the difference in hardness between Gotway and Kingsong hard modes? Ustride has been riding Gotway's hard mode for several years and Kingsong's hard tend to look like Gotway's medium

3 hours ago, Rawnei said:

What he is talking about is magnets skipping, I don't think anyone reported magnets skipping on S22 while breaking, people who said it was hard to break most likely did not have the right geometry configuration: pedals too high (you can change that) and foot position too much forward.

He also mentioned that ks20/22 has no power for "hard" braking. Or something like that..

30 minutes ago, Funky said:

He also mentioned that ks20/22 has no power for "hard" braking. Or something like that..

Yeah same thing, people jump on it without changing anything and complains about how it feels, Wrong Way is a good example, initially he complained about some things, then he lowered the suspension a bit and changed pad config then he was happy.

That's the issue with demo wheels that come pre-configured I suppose, would have been better if the demo wheels were in a lower position from the start.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Bizra6ot said:

We saw the same thing with the same technique at acceleration this time when the first sherman was tested in NY, nobody reported any problem at acceleration and a young light rider made it dip very easily by using his ankles like Ustride does

I mean if you want to force a wheel to dip it's not hard you can flick your body like that, much more difficult on a C38, but that's not practical for braking.

11 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

then he lowered the suspension a bit and changed pad config then he was happy.

lowering the geometry like he did to make it more "classic wheel" is really dangerous, scraping and clipping pedals will be a daily nightmare.

higher pedals it's a trade off for having suspension, it's good only for offroad, not a plus at all in terms of riding feeling

• Like 2

i’m kinda buzzed to get one again after last night. Pedals were lower on the wheel last night but i could still turn okay. I think the tire helped as it didn’t need to lean hard to force the nobby to go where I needed. 

Maybe, hard to say on a quick test. 

sure pedals may clip in the trails, but i plan to be in the air most of the time :) 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, EMA said:

lowering the geometry like he did to make it more "classic wheel" is really dangerous, scraping and clipping pedals will be a daily nightmare.

higher pedals it's a trade off for having suspension, it's good only for offroad, not a plus at all in terms of riding feeling

There are 7 settings and there is also 2 pedal positions, so there is a lot in-between "lowest" and "highest" setting, the idea is for the pedals to somewhat below the axle when you stand on the wheel (accounting for sag).

Edited by Rawnei
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bizra6ot said:

Or could it be just the difference in hardness between Gotway and Kingsong hard modes?

That’s what I thought at first, but I’m having difficulty in believing that this would be the first KS he ever tries, or that he isn’t aware that a different manufacturer’s wheel is expected to feel different. He’s supposed to be an experienced rider after all.

3 hours ago, Bizra6ot said:

Kingsong's hard tend to look like Gotway's medium

I think there’s a whole lot more to the difference than simply a hard-soft axis. But yeah, I guess it can be possible that certain pointers in the wheel’s behavior reminded him of the GW soft mode. Still, when he did the first hard brake test, it wasn’t a flick. It was a short hard braking. A healthy modern wheel should’ve definitely handled it without a deep dip.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that to me it seemed like unhealthy behavior from the first hard braking.

56 minutes ago, eevees said:

Our mistake. We thought it was gone but it's just much shorter now. 

Ginger on Wheel showed in that video that the wheel could not go up a hill. I do not get it, when I can not make it up a hill the wheel beeps. Why does it not beep with him?

2 hours ago, Curt8892 said:

Why does it not beep with him?

Pre-production firmware doesn't have the beeps turned on? Broken beeper? Maybe it was tired? We may never know, but the hill he was trying to go up wasn't anything special. If all S22s are defeated by that kind of a hill, he wouldn't be the only one mentioning it… the review crew as a whole generally doesn't pull many punches. It's a mystery to me. I will certainly be barking if it won't climb that so-called "hill".

• Like 1

That kind of instantaneous torque dip doesn't seem to be alarmed, the 16x flick dips weren't with beeps either I don't think. The typical overpower beeps are from PWM limits being approached or from sustained current being too much for the battery state or the controller to tolerate. I assume either the hills is much steeper than it appears on camera and/or that it could be done with a more gentle initial acceleration.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kristof Willen said:

What happened to that Master mud guard at 2:02 ? 

It's fastened with a screw on a hinge and can move around, I guess it moved when suspension was working that small bump.

7 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Pre-production firmware doesn't have the beeps turned on? Broken beeper? Maybe it was tired? We may never know, but the hill he was trying to go up wasn't anything special. If all S22s are defeated by that kind of a hill, he wouldn't be the only one mentioning it… the review crew as a whole generally doesn't pull many punches. It's a mystery to me. I will certainly be barking if it won't climb that so-called "hill".

Does anyone know if KS S22 sends the beeps over Bluetooth?

2 hours ago, Paul A said:

Is active suspension possible for an EUC?

Would it solve and create problems?

I’d say let’s find a suitable slider mechanism first, maybe then think of the space age bells & whistles…

• Like 2

In Wrong Way's mini review you can clearly see the anodizing layer already starting to wear off from the slider grooves. Anodizing creates a thick wear resistant aluminium oxide layer over the base material. When it is off, the base material will start to wear in faster pace. After a while the groove is going to have inconstant internal dimensions. It will wedge debris between the slider and groove more easily, which leads to even more increased wear. I hope the battery cases are available as spare parts in a reasonable price.

Timestamped video

• Like 3

I asked my superior today for “ a free day “.  :laughbounce2:  

He said “ You want what? ”

What I meant was “a day off”, but made a strange combination of Romanian and English.

• Like 3