61 year old guy...from Portugal - day #1

Paulo Mesquita

2 minutes ago, Tawpie said:

You could roll around arguing with the wheel "Please decelerate" => "NO. I'm having fun", "por favor, desacelere" => "me dê um minuto" or just let it beep, bystanders will look at you with quizzical expressions either way.

This is what I did at first, but then found myself progressing into profanity and violence when she wouldnt stfu... It seems much more serious when its a beep, hard to argue that one. I havent used the eucw alarms. I have let KS handle it for the most part. After 20 miles, i can definitely feel the ks tilting back and it hasnt bothered me yet. Well, aside from the reality that my battery is getting lower. I don't facny myself but a 'mild' rider, and light at that. Perhaps more extreme alarms be needed for those advanced and better fed riders.

On 2/16/2021 at 1:22 AM, UniMe said:

Have you figured out how to set the speed sensitive alarms in EUC World?

I think so. Below I'm posting a photo of what I did this morning, per your advice, @ShanesPlanet and @Tawpie. I advanced the max speed on each of the four limits. Please check the photo and see if I did something wrong. The fact is that IT ONLY BEEPED 4 OU 5 TIMES THROUGHOUT OVER 12KMS, DUE TO ME EXCEEDING THE 26KM/HOUR 1ST LIMIT... and no voice. 

The other thing is that my KS XL had a built in speed limit of around 20kps for a number of kilometers, I don't remember the exact number but it felt like a lot so perhaps 50? This could not be over ridden and only unlocked automatically when the wheel passed a certain distance ridden. I'm guessing if you did a search on this forum for "new Kingsong wheel speed limit" or something like that, it may come up. It's a safety feature of the wheel for newbies like us so we don't hurt ourselves straight away.

Well, I'm not yet at the 50km braket...and honestly I have mno idea where I can see that on the EUC world app. (I'm not using the KS app, per the general advice here at the forum)

It sounds like the warning started early, when the battery was charged up, so it's either a speed limit setting in EUC world or the new wheel speed limit that KS has baked into the firmware.

Today I rode with full battery and only had those four or five beep sequences. However, there were 3 beeps each time, instead of 2 beep sequences ...like yesterday's...

Edited by Paulo Mesquita

17 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I hate my voice alarms so I shut them off and rely on beeps.

I didn't shut the voice alerts yet but they were silent today. Just 3 beep sequences when I was going fast at full battery. I was afraid of not hearing the beeps due to my deafness to high pitch tones (can't hear the refrigerator door beeping when its open and I'm standing next to it. Or the screams of women and children in horror movies...quite fun that one). However the KS beeps seem to be quite audible.

17 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Tiltback is not something to be scared of, just mindfull of. Don't get too over confident, as this next stage of learning is where the stakes tend to go up a bit. I try to start almost every ride with full battery. Keeping from getting very low, seems a good safety feature to maintain lean overhead.

I would like to get a good recommendable and safe speed limit before a tilt back...but for a rookie. as for the battery level I was afraid of charging it when too high due to it probably losing lifespan. But I guess, according to you, that doesn't happen. That's god to know.

17 hours ago, UniMe said:

I have this turned off and never hear the 'voice of god'.

I wasn't doing that today, because I was afraid of not hearing the beep tones. I do and that is a relief. I can now turn off the voice of god.

Then further down the same menu is a heading "speed alerts & limit", with 3 different speed settings and a 4th "speed limit/tiltback" option.

@ShanesPlanet mentions that he only uses the 3rd speed alarm and has this only a few kmh below the tiltback, which should be the maximum speed you ever want to ride the wheel. My XL also has a gentle tiltback, but I would recommend setting this quite low initially and learning about how it feels prior to moving it up to 'pro' speed limits. It is a bit weird at first, but easy to respond to once you know what's going on.

I use the 2nd speed alert as well, so I have a bit of pre warning that I'm going fast. For me, 2nd alarm is 40 km/h (really the max speed I want to cruise at), 3rd is 44 km/h and tiltback is 46 km/h. Keep in mind that stock values for my xl are about 10% over rated, so 44km/h is really about 40km/h. I'm a heavier rider, so I keep my top speeds below the limit of the wheel, I also do most of my rides with a full charge out the door.

FOR A ROOKIE... and with the pic I sent with my response to your previous post... what would be the settings for all four speed limits you'd suggest? Should I use all four? Or just the 3rd and the 4th pre tilt back? I'm comfortable in riding at 25km/h in certain parts of my circuit.

By the way, I am hoping you get a second wheel!! I will definitely be visiting Portugal once all this pandemic crap settles down

We will definitely do that!!!

14 hours ago, Tawpie said:

I think you're correct: you were getting yelled at because your battery was getting low—the not-low-battery first alarm is defaulted to 18 km/hr.

Yes, when I checked the 4 alerts, the 1st WAS AT 18KM/H!

14 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Personally, I set the first and second speed alarms 'off' (-1 km/hr for the first alarm, 'off' or 0 km/hr for the second) and just use the third alarm like @ShanesPlanet. Each level of alarm beeps more than the previous. Seems the first alarm is two beeps, second is three beeps and third is basically constant beeping. I have the third alarm set to 38 km/hr with the Speed Limit (tiltback) at 40 km/hr because I want to retain some safety margin. In spite of the fact that I wear a small fortune in protective gear, I fear the pavement. Since I only use the third alarm (which also buzzes a Pebble watch on my arm), I could choose to use the voice of God but prefer the beeps... You could roll around arguing with the wheel "Please decelerate" => "NO. I'm having fun", "por favor, desacelere" => "me dê um minuto" or just let it beep, bystanders will look at you with quizzical expressions either way.

So the 3 beeps I was hearing today were from the 2nd alarm? Then why didn I hear the 1st speed alarm (2 beeps) when i clearly went over the 26km/h speed limit of this 1st alarm? I heard 3 beeps...under the 30km/h 2nd alarm and I never got to 30km/h as today's EUCW registry shows... Still confused here....

How the heck do you set the 1st alarm to minus 1km/h and the 2nd to 0km/h? I'd like to do that on the EUCW app

SO IN ESSENCE YOU USE YOUR 3RD ALARM AS YOUR GENERAL ALARM AND THE 4TH AS THE PRE TILT-BACK BIG WARNING? I like that simplicity. Does this put at risk any overheating or other alerts that can avoid damage to the KS 16X motor?

I like “the voice of god”.
“ PLEASE DECELERATE!! “ I could hear it so much better than anything that GotWay had. It seems to have no effect on my wife though. I was on my MSv3 with 20% battery non stop beeping trying to catch up to her. She left me in her dust with her fully charged 18XL. From over 200 yards away all I could hear was “Please decelerate!!!” Over and over again.  I knew she was going to face plant...... but she didn’t.  When I finally caught up to her back at camp. I ask her why she ignored the warnings. She said don’t worry. I was just bumping the warning.  .... I told her to never do that again!!!!  :barf:   She scared me sick! 

• Like 2

Day #16...blooody cold again a storm threatning... but I was determined.

I went outside and the three big laps again, a total 12,48kms, (45:57 minutes) with an average RIDING speed of 19,2km/h. With the weather being a bit nasty, balancing in strong wind was a big part of my practice today. WHAT FUN!!! Again, no falls, a lot of speed bumps (getting quite relaxed with them now) and trying manholes for better balance control. Here and there a nasty bump on the asphalt, but managed to deal with all of them. 

Tomorrow I'll be going (if it doesn't rain) while playing Jack Johnson or Freddy Mercury!

My daily goal is the 3 laps inside the Quinta da Beloura One big condominium.(check the below photo of my Huawei smartwatch exercise register) It's a very safe circuit, with generally good asphalt and very few insane drivers. 

I'm still waiting for the better BTT helmet to arrive and also I'm planning on buying the Demon short sleeve bodyguard for BTT/BMX and snowboarding protection.

I NEED WISDOM YE WISE ONES ON THESE 2 THINGS:

1) I feel the need of a rear mirror. I've seen some gloves with one on the left hand's back, but I'd rather stick one on the helmet, BECAUSE I ALREADY USE  VERY GOOD WRIST PROTECTORS and the glove thing would force me to do a brusque movement of the hand which I'm not comfortable with yet.

2) Filming: I have video cameras but they are not the kind we place on a helmet or body armor. I know GoPro are quite got, but expensive. Any ideas?

JUST AS A REMINDER...i am genuinely grateful and humbled by the help I've been getting from you, mates! A MILLION THANKS FOR BEARING WITH ME WHILE I MAKE ALL THESE MISTAKES.

...now I'm off to write a post for a cure for sciatica...here on the forum!!!!:D

Edited by Paulo Mesquita
  • Like 2

I am impressed with your progress. 
  I remember the feeling of not knowing what is going on behind me. I tried the mirror on my helmet trick. I hated it. I tried the mirror on my wrist and liked it so much better. Then I got better and could just turn my head and look behind. I actually watched Chooch videos to see how Chooch moved and learned body positions from him. He would commonly put his right arm out to the right when he turned almost backwards to the left. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I tried the mirror on my wrist and liked it so much better.

I actually watched Chooch videos to see how Chooch moved and learned body positions from him. He would commonly put his right arm out to the right when he turned almost backwards to the left. 

Hello my friend @RockyTop

Can you send me the videos so that I can see how to adapt to the wrist mirror? Thanks

set your tiltbakc at an insanely low speed, and just try it out. It works the same at 10mph as it does 27mph. Its good to know and not fear what its gna do.

Speeds for your safety are completely user specific. I forgot you cant hear beeps well, so your needs will differ than mine. I rely on how fast it seems to me, and the beeps for me, are just to remind me as I get speed blind. Its more a beep to warn me that the wheel cant do more, than a beep to warn me Im going too fast. You have to decide what is best for your compromises in safety and pleasure.

I will need a wrist mirror. I imagine I'll velco it to my flexmeters. It took a while to learn to turn my head and body to look behind me. You will find it is something you need to practice. With time, youll turn to look and keep going straight. A lot of people are mounting mirrors to helmets. If i wore a helmet more often, I'd maybe look into that as well. Mirrors are cheap, go look at any auto parts store. I think that practicing with whatever mirror you choose, will be more improtanat than which mirror. Youll just need learn to identify what you are looking at. buy a roll of 2" wide 3m velcro. Its expensive but worth it and youll use it for all sorts of random shit.

The gopro 360 is the camera I use mostly. The insta360 is also common. I like ym gopro because it has great in cam sound. The gopro360 has its issues, but it being usa based customer service and having a 'no questions asked' warranty helped me choose. A 360 cam worls great as a static helmet cam or wheel cam. However, I have my fav goto stick that doubles as a tripod. Viewers like the 9' selfie stick angle, but  as a rider, find it cumbersome. Non-360 cams have MUCH better quality images and are much easier to process. My hero 7 looks great, but you have to stay mindful of camera angles when using it, and the sound fails in compare to the GP360. No matter what camera yuo get, make sure it has stability imbedded in it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

I am sorry. I meant to say that I learned to turn my head around backwards by watching Chooch. It was just something that he did naturally when he turned his head. Before I learned to turn my head around backwards, I got a small convex automotive mirror that is used on car mirrors. Some people just stick the mirror to the plastic part of the wrist guard. I Used a soldering iron to burn two holes in the flexible nylon part of the wrist guard and used a zip tie. I gave the those wrist guards to my brother years ago. It was just easier for me to look at my wrist. The helmet mirror was just too small. I could not see anything in it but it was always there blocking my view. The helmet mirrors work for some people just not me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I Used a soldering iron to burn two holes in the flexible nylon part of the wrist guard and used a zip tie.

I'm going to try a solution like yours and buy a small convex mirror and glue it somehow to the back of my left wrist guard. Thanks

• Like 1

Yes, to bring it up again, practice with the tiltback at a slow speed first. If you panic the first time, better at 10kph than 25. If you make it through all 3 of your alarms to the tiltback I will be impressed, that's a lot of racket to ignore. This is why most people only use one or two alarms before the tiltback.

Like @RockyTop I also wanted a mirror for the first while and tried a small one one mounted to my helmet, but it was awful. Now though, I can rotate left and right with confidence to look around. In fact, I'm so good at it now that I'm not sure a mirror would be all that helpful. I also have limits to how much stuff I can tolerate strapping to myself before a ride -- personally, I don't use one. For the time it would take to lift my arm and to try and scan behind me with a wrist mirror I can just turn my head and upper body. They do sell wrist mirrors online though, they might work well.

And, congratulations on the great progress! You have come a long way! It's amazing to watch people learning this skill and how happy they become when it starts to click. What else are you going to do during a pandemic lockdown anyway -- might as well zoom around solo on a uni wheel!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

SO IN ESSENCE YOU USE YOUR 3RD ALARM AS YOUR GENERAL ALARM AND THE 4TH AS THE PRE TILT-BACK BIG WARNING? I like that simplicity. Does this put at risk any overheating or other alerts that can avoid damage to the KS 16X motor?

that's how I'm setup. For me and for most, speed won't be anything that damages or overheats the motor/electronics. Hills when it's really hot outside are a different story, but the KS16X is the coolest running wheel on overheat hill so even then I don't think you need to worry.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 2

woohoo, learning curve has been flattened! Lookin good man. Now all you need is some J-turn practice. When you'r bored, you can grab one of those fire extinguishers and practice evasive smoke screen manuevers. YOu know like on the video game 'spy hunter' :)

• Like 2

Looking very solid. Spring is coming! Spring is coming! Soon, storms will abate and outdoor riding season will be here. You will be ready from what I can tell. (nice of the Tesla owner to have moved their car for you)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

When you'r bored, you can grab one of those fire extinguishers and practice evasive smoke screen manuevers. YOu know like on the video game 'spy hunter' :)

Yep I know the game😄😄😄😄

Although I'm more of an Assassin's Creed fan, currently playing the massive Odissey edition. 

The idea of improving with slaloms in the garage was actually "spiced" with imaginary obstacles to make it interesting for alloys an hour of exercise... 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tawpie said:

Looking very solid. Spring is coming! Spring is coming! Soon, storms will abate and outdoor riding season will be here. You will be ready from what I can tell. (nice of the Tesla owner to have moved their car for you)

Can't wait to explore the "outside" more! 

As for the Tesla, the big and ver expensive beamers and Mercedes in the garage are still very scary when passing next to them 😊

• Like 1

and on day #21... I and paid the price of not resting....

I rode in the afternoon the usual 3 laps adding another 12,2kms to my outdoor distance. However, my calves started to have excruciating  pains on the last lap. Why? Simple. This idiot, with all the excitement on riding...exaggerated. 

I had walked the day before about 5kms and then went EUC riding for another 2 laps. And then, yesterday morning I did a treadmill "effort" (as we call it in Portugal) ECG at the hospital. 

Not happy with all the walking, riding and walking in the past 24 hours...I went for another 12,2kms. 

...and the pain on that 3rd lap....god...I was desperate. It was like the calves were on fire!!!! I thought I'd have to walk a few kms back home with all that pain. I was only able to get to the finish line, changing my standing position, either standing up completely straight or kneeling as low as I could (some wobble, of course).

SO TODAY... this idiot stayed home and has been stretching and rubbing muscle anti inflammatory gel on his calves. Serves me right!!!!...idiot!

Edited by Paulo Mesquita