61 year old guy...from Portugal - day #1

Paulo Mesquita

15 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

You're just unlucky :D...if you lived in Portugal like me you'd be complaining about having three rainy days in a row or having 15ºC/ 59ºF for a few days....

I've seen quite a few videos by now of mates all over the world riding EUC's in terrible temperature and even weather conditions...man, there are thing that i don't like about my country (mainly civil services and politicians) but all the rest is a freakin' paradise!!!

Spoken like someone who's never had the pleasure of a cold, dry winter. In your parka, enjoying winter sports.... dang.... there are very few things so sweet :) back home to a warm fire and a welcoming partner in the night... oh my

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Essa KS 18s é um bicho potente 😄

Sim, já tenho há 4 anos... O que gosto mais é por a música enquanto ando... é espetacular!!!

E já consegue andar bem na sua? A sua também é uma excelente opção!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bambino said:

Sim, já tenho há 4 anos... O que gosto mais é por a música enquanto ando... é espetacular!!!

E já consegue andar bem na sua? A sua também é uma excelente opção!!

@BambinoSorry, in English or we get kicked out😁

I love the KS 16x and I'm having fun and a healthier way of life, that I haven't had for quite a long time. I

13 hours ago, null said:

Reminder everyone: please stick to the forum language.
You can use your local languages in the "local meet-up" section :)

@null, apologies, a slip of the tongue/language just because it was my 1st Portuguese contact here at the Forum. Won't happen again 😁

• Like 1

Day #26& Day #27

Not much to add. I've just been exploring more and more roads in  a radius of about 5kms, Feeling new bumps, obstacles and challenges. I've been riding an average of 18kms per day now

Note 1 -  Clearly the flatter tire is worse on slippery cobblestone roads, but better for slow maneuvering

Note 2 - Wobbling seems to less violent when braking while having both feet misaligned. When feet are aligned wobbling is worse...funny thing.

Note 3 - Now that I place my feet more forward my calves are clearly happier and there is no pain. I've been riding for almost an hour - sometimes a bit more - and I just stop because I get hungry or need to get home to do some more real estate work....like selling houses :D

Edited by Paulo Mesquita
  • Like 1

IT'S RAINING CATS AN' DOGS!!!

I had a normal day #28 with almost a 20km ride with the only interesting thing was a small crash while turning. I followed the advice of The Wise Ones here...and jumped offclear, letting the wheel crash against the metal gate of another condo. No big deal.

THE TODAY...DAY 29...I had the surprise rain experience....and it wasn't nice at all!!! No falling off but I'm definitely not Fred Astaire while Singing in the Rain. Bloody hell, it started pouring down right when I was the farthest from home, so you can imagine my ride back and my condition when I arrived home. Totally drenched!!!!

But it was an experience. I was able to hold steady, and for a guy who drives his cars at half speed on rainy days since 1983....I got away with it today. But it's not an experience I'm keen on repeating again. It's not any fun...

Actually on the Day 29 trajectory you can see the lower part of the trajectory where I got the beginning if my unwanted shower...and it never stopped. Due to having raced...slowly ...home, I did about 4kms less than the usual....

My major worry was if the rain would damage the new KS 16x. Fortunately the Roll.nz bodyguard did its job and is now hanging and drying up. I also cleaned the wheel rim and some other small parts with a dry cloth just in case some water persisted on the wheel.

...and that's all for now, folks!

Edited by Paulo Mesquita
  • Like 1

Hey Paulo, just googled your map for a closer look. Is it 'legal' for you to ride on all the foot trails in the big, mountainous(?) park right by your place??? That would be fantastic (I think, it looks promising from the aerial view!) If so, you defo need a suspension wheel :clap3:

AND.... if you can ride in there I'll expect a full report and that by this October you'll have the area sorted. That'll give me a summer to practice my off road riding skills before you take me on a tour!!! :)

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, UniMe said:

Hey Paulo, just googled your map for a closer look. Is it 'legal' for you to ride on all the foot trails in the big, mountainous(?) park right by your place??? 

Hello there. I assume it is legal there. Where the legality is being disputed right now in Portugal, is on the pedestrian, bycicle and skating walkways. We have now very beautiful ones and a new Law came out that prohibited powered electric vehicles of the amp/voltage of electric scooters, electric bycicles, etc, to circulate on the "cyclovias". These are particularly important for the EUC urban commuter. For some reason the law doesn't mention EUCs so we're in a very grey area with a lot of confusion and talk about this in the EUC groups. Since I'm out of the city - thank God - I'm not too worried. When I'm not confident on the EUC I'll try to ride some of those foot trails. And yes, the area is extremely beautiful. Actually to the esoteric international community, Sintra is considered one of the 7 portals on the planet to "the other world" 

On 3/5/2021 at 3:23 AM, Paulo Mesquita said:

Actually to the esoteric international community, Sintra is considered one of the 7 portals on the planet to "the other world" 

Duly noted! I'll be sure to keep my eyes open when riding there so I don't run over any starry eyed hipsters looking to make a cosmic connection.

Prolly also a good idea to keep an eye out for holes in the ground lest I fall through a portal to hell... !

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UniMe said:

... so I don't run over any starry eyed hipsters looking to make a cosmic connection....

Not that kind...more heavy duty sh*t. Really weird because the place has it's creepy corners, but also very beautiful. But an EUC ride there should be awesome...

haha nice, so, I'll be sure to stretch out well before riding there just in case I need to karate chop some eurotrash weirdo who may decide that including a pasty canadian fella in the ritual sacrifice, along with the bag of kittens he's holding, is a good idea!! Closer?? :roflmao:

I grew up in hillbilly back country, a place filled with bikers and missing people... not much surprises me lol

51 minutes ago, UniMe said:

grew up in hillbilly back country, a place filled with bikers and missing people... not much surprises me lol

Remember the movie "The ninth gate" with Johnny Depp? There is a death scene filmed in one of the most weird homes here in Sintra. I actually had a private tour to the place, Chalet Biester" by a close friend, an architect who was taking care of the property. This is just one of the weird ones. Google this one and also Quinta da Regaleira...the weirdest one... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UniMe said:

haha nice, so, I'll be sure to stretch out well before riding there just in case I need to karate chop some eurotrash weirdo who may decide that including a pasty canadian fella in the ritual sacrifice, along with the bag of kittens he's holding, is a good idea!! Closer?? :roflmao:

I grew up in hillbilly back country, a place filled with bikers and missing people... not much surprises me lol

if you come to Sintra, be sure to bring a garlicx necklace, holy water, silver bullets and a crucifix :D... I'll supply the woooden stakes!!!

Edited by Paulo Mesquita
  • Like 2

Rides #30, 31 and 32...

Same old routines, with one big difference: Jack Johnson and Ben Harper playing out loud and clear!!! It's like dancing ona  wheel!!! It feels just perfect, while I waltz along the roads, while going left and right, around real and imaginary obstacles...just for fun!!!

one interesting number: on an average ride of about 17 kms, with my equipped weight of 93kgs, the battery goes down between 21% and 28%, depending of my speed and wind of each day...

I'm having a real trip!

Btw, @ShanesPlanet, @Tawpie and @UniMe...I decided to take a risk... sold my second, 2nd hand KS 16X and am going to fetch the V11 with only 200kms and 1.5 years of remaining guarantee, from the guy who ripped his ligaments and wont be riding for along time. I just cant resist trying to learn on an 18" suspension wheel. This one was never in the rain or hard track and MyEWheel assured that if anything happens to the motor bearings during the guarantee, they'll repair and fix it.

Edited by Paulo Mesquita
  • Like 2

oh dear. I fear you've got the disease. Necesse est habere plures rotae syndrome. The bad news is, there is no known cure. The good news is, there is no known cure.

I'm not surprised you went for it, good luck and have fun with the V11! I think it's better to have different wheels because each wheel has its strengths and weaknesses. Now you can appreciate the 16X for what it does well (hopefully you kept the green cover... obviously you did what am I thinking), and experience the smooth and sophistication that is the V11. Good to hear myEWheels is going to keep you covered should something go wrong—I'd make absolutely sure to ride it in the rain several times while the warranty is in force... if nothing else to force a warranty replacement should the bearing not survive. Don't take it swimming, but don't be reluctant to ride it when you would normally want to ride. I say that because I personally wouldn't want to have something I'm afraid to have out in a sudden rain shower. You might also make sure you can update the firmware (hopefully it needs an upgrade so you can test). There's a thread here somewhere that talks about some of the magical incantations people have had to do.

HooAh. Be sure to share your thoughts on the differences you notice between the two wheels. It might help a new rider choose their first ride.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

"Same old routines, with one big difference: Jack Johnson and Ben Harper playing out loud and clear!!! It's like dancing ona  wheel!!! It feels just perfect, while I waltz along the roads, while going left and right, around real and imaginary obstacles...just for fun!!!"

I remember very clearly the moment I came into chill on the EUC. I don't listen to music when I ride, but I do sometimes sing to myself as I casually carve my way through time and space. I think that's the best mode for riding -- relaxed, happy, not pushing too hard.

13 hours ago, UniMe said:

I remember very clearly the moment I came into chill on the EUC. I don't listen to music when I ride, but I do sometimes sing to myself as I casually carve my way through time and space. I think that's the best mode for riding -- relaxed, happy, not pushing too hard.

I don't think that singing to myself would do it... @UniMe, you see, I don't want a wheel with trauma or pedestrians running for their lives or fainting. To put it more clearly, when I was applying myself singing with the 6th grade choir at school the priest told me to go outside and play basketball. is that clear enough? old typewriters sing better than I do....:D

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Tawpie said:

oh dear. I fear you've got the disease. Necesse est habere plures rotae syndrome. The bad news is, there is no known cure. The good news is, there is no known cure.

I know... it happened to me with astronomy too. Before I knew it dozens of telescopes passed through my home in just 3 or 4 years... 

now it's da wheel!!!!

...and @Tawpie ...I hate riding in the rain. It just stresses me out. if it happens, OK, but I won't force it, but thanks for the advice :D. I'm sure that MyEWheel will cover for any guarantee issue. After all I'll be the owner of two of their wheels.

Edited by Paulo Mesquita
  • Like 1