61 year old guy...from Portugal - day #1

Paulo Mesquita

On 3/13/2021 at 10:27 PM, Tasku said:

I learned it from EvX, 3.00 on video, maybe this will help. 

@Tasku I was already doing Tip 1 - unparalleled feet - since I already had read about it and made sense. It helps a lot with avoiding breaking wobble.

I tried today Tip 2 - Leaning into the opposite leg on a turn, and I loved it! I actually can use several techniques  here, since turning (like breaking), is quite easy for me. I also like turning, with a soft "dancing" hip and shoulder movement. it's very smooth and elegant for tight slaloms...and great with music on :D The foot palm pressure on the pedal turning, although I rarely use it since it feels a bit poor, exercise and balance wise. Turning has to do with the body balance, a lot more fun and elegant.

Bear in mind that one of the good things about Portuguese dead end roads (and I have a lot here as you can see on the EUCW Tour Map) is that the space is minimal and usually full of holes on the asphalt. So it is frequent for me to having to turn in a radius 1.5mt in the middle of half a dozen parked cars. When it 's tight like this I use that technique taught here on the forum, of that hard waist whiplash, while almost at stand still. Quite cool and love it! It boost up my self confidence quite a lot and I do about 20 on each ride.

...about Tip 3 - Leaning to one side while breaking - I didn't feel any difference in safety  from my regular breaking and honestly felt no need to twist while doing it. Maybe because I don't go as fast as some of the pros. What I also liked of this video was the idea of also riding a bit sideways. Man, it feel cool and looks cool!!! I'm gonna use that a lot... 

Thanks for the great video my friend. It taught me good stuff!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Excellent news! External factors are MUCH better than unknown mechanical factors. Im glad you got it sorted. Wind is definitely a thing, as wind resistance is part of the ever changing math equation. Add some pavement, some debris, some parts or clothing variances.... Man I love this game! High stakes, immediate rewards!

I truly enjoyed the wind challenge today while trying to figure out what went wrong yesterday. Going to the same place, under the same wind conditions and trying everything out again. And the figuring it all out. Nice puzzle :D

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

@Tasku I was already doing Tip 1 - unparalleled feet - since I already had read about it and made sense. It helps a lot with avoiding breaking wobble.

I tried today Tip 2 - Leaning into the opposite leg on a turn, and I loved it! I actually can use several techniques  here, since turning (like breaking), is quite easy for me. I also like turning, with a soft "dancing" hip and shoulder movement. it's very smooth and elegant for tight slaloms...and great with music on :D The foot palm pressure on the pedal turning, although I rarely use it since it feels a bit poor, exercise and balance wise. Turning has to do with the body balance, a lot more fun and elegant.

Bear in mind that one of the good things about Portuguese dead end roads (and I have a lot here as you can see on the EUCW Tour Map) is that the space is minimal and usually full of holes on the asphalt. So it is frequent for me to having to turn in a radius 1.5mt in the middle of half a dozen parked cars. When it 's tight like this I use that technique taught here on the forum, of that hard waist whiplash, while almost at stand still. Quite cool and love it! It boost up my self confidence quite a lot and I do about 20 on each ride.

...about Tip 3 - Leaning to one side while breaking - I didn't feel any difference in safety  from my regular breaking and honestly felt no need to twist while doing it. Maybe because I don't go as fast as some of the pros. What I also liked of this video was the idea of also riding a bit sideways. Man, it feel cool and looks cool!!! I'm gonna use that a lot... 

Thanks for the great video my friend. It taught me good stuff!!!

Isn't it odd.. I always began riding with an offset and a  "twist" in the legs a bit. I chalked it up to being used to it as a skate board rider.  Then I relized that I am riding front with the opposite foot that was my front foot in skate boarding and snowboarding. I chalk it up to me putting my weaker hip to the back? I dunno, as I also ride the scooter reverse of how i ride the euc. Out of all my other activities, I ride the euc 'goofy' foot. Maybe its because you steer with the back on boards/scooters? After a year with no pads, I installled some on a bigger euc and began to realize how much more forward I amon one foot. So thus begins my quest of learning to do the opposite of what you are focusing on. I must admit, standing dead evenly, makes me wobble and feels a tad odd. I can ride opposite/offset my normal and its not as uneasy or wobbles. In the end, I hope to be able to comfortably ride either foot forward or dead even. I've tried to diagnose what exactly is happening, but all that focus and thought is ruining my vibe. If i think about it too much, I'm devaluing the euc and undermining MY reason for having one. In the end, I hope ALL my wheels can just read my mind, exactly as the mten seems to. Try 'virtual' sitting down at speeds. Youll VERY quickly learn how to keep those legs loose but use them in a steady fashion.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I chalk it up to me putting my weaker hip to the back? I 

Funny you mention this, about 60% of the time I ride with my right foot behind and my right hip is the problematic one...

But for me it makes no difference. left or right in front or parallel, I'm OK with all. I've ridden with one foot 1.5" misaligned with the other and no problem... 

What bugs me is when both feet have "too much forward" or "too much rear" stance. The "too much forward" makes it hell to break fast or on steep downhill. And the " too much rear" creates muscle fatigue a lot faster...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Funny you mention this, about 60% of the time I ride with my right foot behind and my right hip is the problematic one...

But for me it makes no difference. left or right in front or parallel, I'm OK with all. I've ridden with one foot 1.5" misaligned with the other and no problem... 

What bugs me is when both feet have "too much forward" or "too much rear" stance. The "too much forward" makes it hell to break fast or on steep downhill. And the " too much rear" creates muscle fatigue a lot faster...

Maybe its because we learn to default mount the euc with our stronger leg on the ground? Do you put the weaker side on the wheel when you stand, aside from when you are actively trying to NOT be so onesided in mounting? My 'ground' foot is the one that lands front of the weaker side, once I get moving. I've been known to almost step off the front with that foot, if the euc is being a lazy d**k and taking its time to get rolling.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

6 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Maybe its because we learn to default mount the euc with our stronger leg on the ground? Do you put the weaker side on the wheel when you stand, aside from when you are actively trying to NOT be so onesided in mounting? My 'ground' foot is the one that lands front of the weaker side, once I get moving. I've been known to almost step off the front with that foot, if the euc is being a lazy d**k and taking its time to get rolling.

I actually put my left strong leg on the pedal. Remember when I was in the garage and my inner left shin was hurting a lot and you and other mates told me to start putting the right leg (weak one) on the pedal first and I was able to do it? I still put the right one on the pedal first occasionally. But when on uneven ground, I trust my strongest leg on the pedal first, the left one. I guess my subconscious mind has more trust on hard ground than on a whacky machine that seems impossible to ride at 1st impression....:D

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

I actually put my left strong leg on the pedal. Remember when I was in the garage and my inner left shin was hurting a lot and you and other mates told me to start putting the right leg (weak one) on the pedal first and I was able to do it? I still put the right one on the pedal first occasionally. But when on uneven ground, I trust my strongest leg on the pedal first, the left one. I guess my subconscious mind has more trust on hard ground than on a whacky machine that seems impossible to ride at 1st impression....:D

Well, you destroyed that theory.... More reason why I try not to overthink it. When you're right less than half the time, its a waste of time....

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Btw, I forgot to measure the SAG after the PSI pressure changes I did today, but even with all the wind swinging me right and left, the ride was much more comfortable. Tomorrow I have to measure the SAG...can't forget...

I think the "slip" you mention could be because suspension. Maybe there is insufficient pressure at one of the chambers?

You can contact the person you order the wheel, or ask someone to explain how to pressure both chambers. There should be topics of this in this forum too.

Sorry, V11 and its suspension is something I do not have first hand experience.

Scottie mentioned the software as delay for response to wheel. Is there modes to V11 similar to MSP where you can go soft, medium or hard? 

Good work pin-pointing the problem to ruling out some conditions. Stay safe and enjoy your new found freedom on the wheel!

Edited by Tasku
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Rides #42 (21kms) & #43 (24kms)

before anything else :pooping::pooping::pooping::pooping::pooping::pooping::pooping::pooping::pooping: .....I'm back!!!

Man, I really need to get an EUC with a toilet seat like the other guy I saw on the web. 

Well, there two rides actually had one thing in common: my muscle strength, with the dehydration caused by the intestinal bug, was almost zero!!! Even the stuff they put in my veins on Sunday at the Hospital, didn't help much. 

IT WAS PAINFUL! On Thursday I went with the 16X and yesterday with the V11. Still...too much pain, even with suspension. So this Saturday, to my dismay, I decided to rest since there just too much calf, knee and foot pain, and also some shoulder and hip pain from my Mission Impossible stunt roll! 

Yes, @Tawpie, @ShanesPlanet, @Scottie888, @mrelwood ...I'm ot only a 61 year old fart...I'm also a stunt man now!!!!

I'll post some photos on another fun post I'm making, and explaining my "event"...

• Like 1

Well, at least you probably lost a few pounds...  Now you can set the tiltback higher and attempt more battle scars..  Im still sore from mere bruising. It seems I'm becoming quite the wuss...

Glad to hear you're back! Dont overdo it tho, theres still time for another drop and roll attempt...:roflmao:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

well, I used the recent good weather to dig out a landscape rock wall and two tree stumps behind it from trees I cut down last year when the pandemic started. That was round one of 'clearing the land' lol.... this is round two. This second spring exercise routine netted me a 12x12 foot garden plot that is high quality soil for a good 3 feet down. Between the fruit trees and garden greens, it will be another nutritious season :) Sometimes the physical world surprises me, it yields, every time, to a shovel and some persistence.

I'm calling it spring training! That RS was starting to feel a little heavy in February, it seems light now compared to the big foundation rocks I've been moving as I dug several feet down and broke apart that ridiculous wall!! Lots of cool landscape stone now though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2021 at 6:57 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

when they finally made boards with mirrored tails and noses.

1965 or 1966 - Hobie waffle pattern fiberglass skateboard was close to that, with a smooth curved shape. The nose didn't extend as far past the wheels as the rear, but otherwise would be considered to have mirrored tail and nose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdPeglTe48s

I still have a board from 1967 in storage somewhere, but it's missing the trucks. I also have a later version from the 1970's when they switched from clay to urethane wheels. That one still has all the original parts and is still rideable. 

I was 69 and 1/2 years old when I started last August, 2021. I was a bit lucky, and learned in a way that was not tiring. I looked at how to ride videos, and based on Kuji Roll's and Wrong Way's video, I learned to ride using support to mount and launch before free mount. Learning to ride included learning to dismount. I saw examples of arm flailing | yaw steering (flail left to steer right and vice versa) for riding at slow speed, but the how to ride EUC videos I watched at the time (July 2021) weren't teaching this (how to ride pedaled unicycles videos do teach arm flailing). However, I got advice from another rider to steer left and right for balance, rather than trying to go straight, so decided that arm flailing would be the way to get started. 

After a bit less than 30 minutes of beginner drills, using a screened fence at a tennis court for support to mount, rock back and forth, and short rides, I ventured away from the fence using arm flailing | yaw steer at 3 to 5 mph, and was able to do laps around the tennis court on my first attempt. My wife took a video of this on the next day. It doesn't look pretty, but it worked. I wasn't aware how much I was hunched over, but corrected it after seeing the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPyy84EThmM

I moved to a long straight, a single street outdoor parking lot with two trash bin enclosures at each end that I could use for supported mount and launch. I found my V8F became stable at 6 to 8 mph, where I didn't have to focus on balance. Leaning forwards | backwards to accelerate | brake wasn't an issue. Tilt steering (inner foot down, outer foot up) was next, first to see how the V8F would respond, then mild weave pattern, then large radius turns. 

Since I was able to ride reasonably well, I did my first attempts at free mount, just push the V8F forward and step on, similar to a skateboard launch, and got it on my third attempt after leaning a bit more to compensate for my only time on grass. This allowed me to ride at other locations. My wife took a video on day 10. It was night and you can see from the headlight beam how stable the V8F becomes at around 8 mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keDvRMScO1g

Tilt steering requires coordinating how much to lean versus how much to tilt the EUC depending on speed and turning radius: in general, lean less than tilt at lower speeds, more lean than tilt at higher speeds. Early on, I did weave pattern drills where I would lean, then tilt inwards enough to return to vertical (for balance), then tilting inwards just enough to hold lean angle for a bit  (for turning) before tilting more inward to return to vertical, to get an idea of how to coordinate turns and how to recover from imbalance (like getting hit with a crosswind). I also worked on being able to move my arms and | or look around without upsetting balance or changing direction. I got most of this in about a month, but continued to improve for the next 2 months as I dealt with more situations at various locations.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hey guys I just started riding last Saturday and done about 35 miles so far. Picked up a basically new ks16x and love it so far. I just turned 64 last month and been wanting one for a while, hope to get out most nights and ride before the Seattle rain comes back.

• Like 3