61 year old guy...from Portugal - day #1

Paulo Mesquita

14 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

Before I knew it dozens of telescopes passed through my home in just 3 or 4 years...

I caught that bug too, but thankfully stopped at the 8" dob (only my second scope, a miracle!). A 13mm Tele Vue Ethos eyepiece did manage to sneak in somehow. I really want one of Optical Ed's customized equatorial platforms and a StarLight focuser—but wheeling and "that would be cool" accessories are hoovering up all my pin money. I need another income stream.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 6:09 PM, Tawpie said:

I caught that bug too, but thankfully stopped at the 8" dob (only my second scope, a miracle!). A 13mm Tele Vue Ethos eyepiece did manage to sneak in somehow. I really want one of Optical Ed's customized equatorial platforms and a StarLight focuser—but wheeling and "that would be cool" accessories are hoovering up all my pin money. I need another income stream.

When you Walt to talk telescopes... Let me know, we can spend hours on WhatsApp. Just to give you an idea... I did over 600 purchases on Astromart USA. 

The 8" dob was my 1st telescope 😁

dob.jpg

Edited by Paulo Mesquita
Photo inclusion

I have an 8" skyquest xt. Got a few lenses and quickly realized... you gotta stay still and stare at shit for a long time, to see much. Then I realized its best when its late and cold. THEN I realized shit keeps moving around. THEN I realized that fog on lenses and dust are a pain. Once I did all the math, it added up to a decoration for my room corner and a dust collector. I fear that once I settle down enough to appreciate it, I'll either be too blind or ready to be a popcorn shaker for the old folk home. :)

• Like 1

I've never owned a telescope but can imagine observing people would soon become more interesting than the stars which I can see in hubble pics on the nasa site. Any time I've looked through a land based telescope I've been like.... meh... even with a big observatory nearby.

I'm reasonably confident if I looked around long enough I'd spot someone a few k away who'd been watching me since long before the idea came to my mind. perhaps some things are best left unknown....

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 1

Hi guys

Rides #33 & #34 were intense! Both in exercises and pain due to tire pressure and shoe experiments!!! 

I did 18,5kms on ride #33 on Tuesday with 37PSI....just too squirrely for me and very hard bumps at any minor imperfection on the road

and on ride #34... I did 21,5kms (new tight roads) for almost 90 minutes. Had to stop every 5kms to relieve the heel pain I was having due to the testing of my younger son's basketball sneakers plus different tire pressure (now a bit better at 35PSI) Then I got home and looked at the V11 sitting there...

...my friends, I was exausted...but the V11 there...since yesterday..

So I took it outside on the pateo...just to stand on it. 3,6kms after I finally decided to call it a day before I fainted....heheheh. So today I was able to do, by accident, 25kms...

What a suspension the V11 has!!! I didn't even adjust the pressure for my weight yet, but the ride was so smooth!!!! And the powerpads made it actually easier for me to mount (and the pedals are in the whereabouts of 22cm from the ground, while the KS 16K is "only" 18cm).

The pros: no pain, no pain, no pain....shall I go on?

The cons: Being my first and short ride on an 18", with suspension and higher pedals,  I had a bit more difficulty with tight turns and also in going downroad. it was harder to go slower with sharper inclines.

But it was a great and short experience. I was so tired that i sat on the couch for  almost an hour and the only gear i took off was the helmet...until the wife came in and you know...the boss...

@ShanesPlanet you can comment now with the silly stickers I put on the helmet. Btw, the V11 as no disappointment. And since I'm not planning on riding in the rain or off-road through puddles, I might just get lucky and not have the bearings/motor problems.

Edited by Paulo Mesquita
  • Like 1

Ride #35...first long ride on the V11. What an experience. 21,5kms and 1h27m

It had outstanding performance on the horrible cobblestone roads that I feared so much. I had a lot less foot pain (not all gone) and I even went up and then down low profile cobblestone sidewalks. 

...and the SAG isn't yet at 3cm/3.5cm. The tire pressure is at 35PSI/2.4BAR

Of course I got carried away and 200mts from arriving home I tried a higher sidewalk climb...and crashed. Sprained right thumb (no Assassins Creed PS5 game tonight) and even with a good shin guard I also got hurt on my inner right shin. Nothing big, just sprain and muscle pain. Serves me right...I forgot I wasn't 20 years old and I paid the price (as @ShanesPlanet would have said). Fortunately My 22 year old younger daughter is graduating right now as a physiotherapist and I'm the perfect guinea pig :D 

Anyway, my 1st impressions on the V11:

PROS:

- Smooth as silk, particularly on cobblestone

- less foot pain and leg muscle fatigue

- as easy to do a tight turn as with the KS 16X

- lasting battery

- easier mounting - suspension response to second foot on, gives a better immediate foot adjust

- easier to adjust foot position while riding 

CONS:

- no music

- sometimes seems difficult to reduce speed on steep inclined roads (I had to put all my 96kg weight on my heels to hold this beast at slow speed while going down)

- sometimes, with frontal wind the wheel wiggles a bit. 

Edited by Paulo Mesquita

On 3/11/2021 at 4:39 PM, Paulo Mesquita said:

Sprained right thumb

Be careful Paulo, an injury or two more like this and you may no longer be able to ride. If nothing else, it may take the fun out of it for you. The older we get, the longer it takes to recover from 'minor' sprains etc. Take it easy, ride within your limits....

I fell to the ground once since I started on the EUC, it was on my first day. Since then I've stepped off the wheel dozens of times but was always able to keep my footing and not bail. Aside from the minor scrape I incurred on that day 1 crash (no elbow guards, quickly remedied) I also have not hurt myself, at all, in any way. This may change one day, especially as I start riding faster, but I continue to be cautious on uneven terrain and to only push the wheel up to speed on wide open, familiar and smooth surfaces.

My last 'get off' was on the grass actually. I didn't realize how water logged and soft the grass is here on an euc, the wheel just sunk in like it was mud. Very different after a winter of rain compared to the fall when it was still hard pack. The wheel got wobbly immediately. I've tried a couple more wet grass spots since then and the same thing -- clearly I'm no where near stable enough to ride through mud like I've seen others doing. Something to learn there, and a lesson for me in terms of how new on the wheel I still am.

On 3/12/2021 at 2:39 AM, Paulo Mesquita said:

- no music

Try googling "jogger phone holder" or translate to find local stores that has these.

Use your phone to play the music! Place the phone in your arm with this attachment. You can also see the app you use, speed and other details if you need. Or even operate navigator. Quite handy.

Edited by Tasku

21 minutes ago, UniMe said:

Be careful Paulo, an injury or two more like this and you may no longer be able to ride. If nothing else, it may take the fun out of it for you. The older we get, the longer it takes to recover from 'minor' sprains etc. Take it easy, ride within your limits....

I fell to the ground once since I started on the EUC, it was on my first day. Since then I've stepped off the wheel dozens of times but was always able to keep my footing and not bail. Aside from the minor scrape I incurred on that day 1 crash (no elbow guards, quickly remedied) I also have not hurt myself, at all, in any way. This may change one day, especially as I start riding faster, but I continue to be cautious on uneven terrain and to only push the wheel up to speed on wide open, familiar and smooth surfaces.

My last 'get off' was on the grass actually. I didn't realize how water logged and soft the grass is here on an euc, the wheel just sunk in like it was mud. Very different after a winter of rain compared to the fall when it was still hard pack. The wheel got wobbly immediately. I've tried a couple more wet grass spots since then and the same thing -- clearly I'm no where near stable enough to ride through mud like I've seen others doing. Something to learn there, and a lesson for me in terms of how new on the wheel I still am.

@UniMe thanks for the cautionary advice, I do take the protection very seriously. Inclusively I've spent a ton of money on protective gear (as much a on a wheel. If only had two falls outside until now, both on cobblestone. The 1st I think I just got scared and tried to step of but made a mess out of it (it was my 1st day outside).

The second, a couple of days ago, was because I got too adventurous and it served me right. I learned my lesson and am more cautious now. I've had a few step offs, about half a dozen. Two were due to an impossible maneuver with fast cars coming and the others were due to bad mounting on. Only the wheel got some scrapes on these...

I've been working very hard on tight maneuvering in between obstacles, cars, etc. And at very, very slow speeds (almost stopping) to make it very difficult. And that has gone well...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tasku said:

Try googling "jogger phone holder" or translate to find local stores that has these.

Use your phone to play the music! Place the phone in your arm with this attachment. You can also see the app you use, speed and other details if you need. Or even operate navigator. Quite handy.

@Tasku,I actually have the latest Huawei smartwatch and I run simultaneously my Huawei health app that monitors the tour and my heart rate on the watch and now I'm also running the EUCW Premium Tour function, which downloads my latest tours onto my signature here below...

My two last rides are registered there ... just click on my signature and you can see all the info.

Rides #36 and #37 (today) are registered there already. EUCW Premium rocks!!!!

Help: @ShanesPlanet @UniMe, @Tawpie, @Tasku, @mrelwood, @GoGeorgeGo ...can any of you explain the below incident to me, please ? It felt quite dangerous,

On my ride #37,,,today...I got some very strong winds and it was extremely difficult sometimes.

...actually there were 3 moments where the wheel seemed to be frontally slippery and I had no idea why.  Like it was going to slip away right from under my feet. I wasn't going fast at all (maybe between 10 and 14km/h) and at that moment there wasn't much wind.  I've only had wobbles sometimes when breaking hard. This kind of wobble (if it was that) felt more like I had caught oil on the road, but there was nothing there. 

I'll be thankful for any experienced advice...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

@Tasku,I actually have the latest Huawei smartwatch and I run simultaneously my Huawei health app that monitors the tour and my heart rate on the watch and now I'm also running the EUCW Premium Tour function, which downloads my latest tours onto my signature here below...

My two last rides are registered there ... just click on my signature and you can see all the info.

Rides #36 and #37 (today) are registered there already. EUCW Premium rocks!!!!

Help: @ShanesPlanet @UniMe, @Tawpie, @Tasku, @mrelwood, @GoGeorgeGo ...can any of you explain the below incident to me, please ? It felt quite dangerous,

On my ride #37,,,today...I got some very strong winds and it was extremely difficult sometimes.

...actually there were 3 moments where the wheel seemed to be frontally slippery and I had no idea why.  Like it was going to slip away right from under my feet. I wasn't going fast at all (maybe between 10 and 14km/h) and at that moment there wasn't much wind.  I've only had wobbles sometimes when breaking hard. This kind of wobble (if it was that) felt more like I had caught oil on the road, but there was nothing there. 

I'll be thankful for any experienced advice...

All i can think of is either you ran over a patch of loose gravel or sand on the road that caused some slippage of the tire, or you just got so used to leaning heavily into the wind that you where thrown off balance when the wind subsided. 

If it was just wobbles, they happen sometimes when your legs are both tired, or when they are really tense like if you where cold or gripping to hard in fear of the wind.

Just guesses though, i cant say i have had any slippage issues while on pavement, and my tire has over 1500 miles on it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulo Mesquita said:

1.) Strong wind - Try to avoid

I follow the wind conditions daily. Something I picked up from aviation and doing crazy amount of travelling. Basicly air another form for water and if have strong winds then it is like trying to swim against current or side current. Body can be kind of a sail and the faster we travel the harder the wind will be to us. Wind can knock you off balance.

2.) Wheel spins out?

The wheel will try to match the need for it to spin and sudden increase of wheel spin when you try to maintain set speed are usually because tire slips. Here are something that are not always obvious to notice. Also dark conditions make it more easy to miss the condition on the road.

- Wet leafs, the can slip away under the wheel

- Gravel or sand on road. This can almost feel like fall but the wheel will compensate to keep it upright if possible.

- Ice. Follow weather and using tire suited to weather.

- Oil, well you mentioned that.

That is all I can think for now why the tire would slip. I assume you talk about V11? Others have more experience if this is software related.

3.) Wobble

If you do not control the wheel, wobble will appear. For anyone starting I would say avoid highspeeds. Fast acceleration invites wobble too. Braking is the hardest to master. The higher the speed the more you have change for wobble effect. Your technique will be tested upon hard breaking/acceleration and the faster you travel. Side wind could change things to invite wobble too, in this case shift in weight is in need.

To explain the wobble, is difficult. To make it simple rider is not in balance. The wheel will start wobbling from side to side and this can become scary as sense of control is not present.

To get out of wobble: Try to get a lean to your wheel one side on your leg (you basicly have weight to your dominant feet) and put small carve to one side, it will break the wobble. If you do not try to cancel wobble it can increase. Also if possible I will try to maintain speed, like I said shift to speed helps wobble to grow. I can break my wobbles now, but early on it was not obvious how to. I needed to study the effect and I bailed out on first time I experienced it just as many new likely will.

I steel my nerves and actively counter the effect. If you travel fast and have not tried to learn what to do, it could feel hopeless. 

Get in control and realize you were not actively controlling the wheel.

You are not passanger, you are the driver. 

To avoid wobble I would recommend to carving all the time ever so slightly. The moment you start going straight and do not carve, you are inviting the wheel change to have will of its own. It can resonate one side to another, the wobble in short, as the momentum is forcing the wheel.

My brake technique:

I put my weight on my dominant heel on feet.  I apply all my weight on one leg. But the other leg has some weigh in toes and the final move is to twist my body holding onto the wheel. The more I lean backward the harder the braking will be. Practicing will make it one move. (To make the braking move stronger hands can be dabbed with. )

In order to pull this off I just need to regain my balance. Then put that hard practice to use.

My upper body can become tilted toward the side I twist to.

Braking is something to test and practice during every ride as you start, on location where you feel safe to do so. 

4.) Curves

I feel this might be something to mention now. Curves are something more challenging. The faster you go into curve the more dangerous it will be for new rider. Braking in curve is even more harder to do and can throw you into wobble (in worst case scenario). Brake before curves and go in there in in speed you are confident in.

During winter conditions people try to avoid carving so much in curves. Keeping steady speed is also important. This gives best conditions for the wheels motor to recover from the tire slips.

Last thoughts:

Sometimes overthinking and explaining helps nothing. There are so many riders out there who just ride, ride, ride and ride some more. Brain figures things out and no need for explaining. One day it just works all out.

Edited by Tasku
typos
  • Like 2

Wind... I recall it being troublesome for me during my first few months. Some people tried to claim it was a non issue and they are wrong. Its an issue when winds are high, you just gotta learn to ride thru it. I've been on plenty of rides since then, when the winds requires you serious off kilter lean to stay straight, you will get used to it. Even now, at higher speeds where Im leaning hard into the wind, when it lets up, it can caue you to lean a little more all a sudden. Either get used to it, get thinner, or don't ride in it I guess. I will say that you have WAY much less to fear about wind than I do when on a paramotor. Its no surprise @Taskurespects the wind (perhaps a little too much), as pilots are a little sensitive to it. Cool thing about wind.. if you ride WITH it, it really pushes your ass right along!

I doubt you are breaking traction from accelleration. You are still pretty new and arent using any pads yet. It possible, but unlikely. Unless you felt slippage in gravel, I would suspect that the 'slip' you feel, is mostly in your head. Its quite amazing how a teent tiny wobble simply feels HUGE when its under our feet. Maybe it was something very slight, yet felt massive? Ride more and ride more. When in doubt, grab a strong drink and ride more, ride more! Whatever you do, just don't piss into the wind or spit into the wind. We can learn to ride in high winds, but some other things just cant be done in it.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tasku said:

1.) Strong wind - Try to avoid

I follow the wind conditions daily. Something I picked up from aviation and doing crazy amount of travelling. Basicly air another form for water and if have strong winds then it is like trying to swim against current or side current. Body can be kind of a sail and the faster we travel the harder the wind will be to us. Wind can knock you off balance.

2.) Wheel spins out?

The wheel will try to match the need for it to spin and sudden increase of wheel spin when you try to maintain set speed are usually because tire slips. Here are something that are not always obvious to notice. Also dark conditions make it more easy to miss the condition on the road.

- Wet leafs, the can slip away under the wheel

- Gravel or sand on road. This can almost feel like fall but the wheel will compensate to keep it upright if possible.

- Ice. Follow weather and using tire suited to weather.

- Oil, well you mentioned that.

That is all I can think for now why the tire would slip. I assume you talk about V11? Others have more experience if this is software related.

3.) Wobble

If you do not control the wheel, wobble will appear. For anyone starting I would say avoid highspeeds. Fast acceleration invites wobble too. Braking is the hardest to master. The higher the speed the more you have change for wobble effect. Your technique will be tested upon hard breaking/acceleration and the faster you travel. Side wind could change things to invite wobble too, in this case shift in weight is in need.

To explain the wobble, is difficult. To make it simple rider is not in balance. The wheel will start wobbling from side to side and this can become scary as sense of control is not present.

To get out of wobble: Try to get a lean to your wheel one side on your leg (you basicly have weight to your dominant feet) and put small carve to one side, it will break the wobble. If you do not try to cancel wobble it can increase. Also if possible I will try to maintain speed, like I said shift to speed helps wobble to grow. I can break my wobbles now, but early on it was not obvious how to. I needed to study the effect and I bailed out on first time I experienced it just as many new likely will.

I steel my nerves and actively counter the effect. If you travel fast and have not tried to learn what to do, it could feel hopeless. 

Get in control and realize you were not actively controlling the wheel.

You are not passanger, you are the driver. 

To avoid wobble I would recommend to carving all the time ever so slightly. The moment you start going straight and do not carve, you are inviting the wheel change to have will of its own. It can resonate one side to another, the wobble in short, as the momentum is forcing the wheel.

My brake technique:

I put my weight on my dominant heel on feet.  I apply all my weight on one leg. But the other leg has some weigh in toes and the final move is to twist my body holding onto the wheel. The more I lean backward the harder the braking will be. Practicing will make it one move. (To make the braking move stronger hands can be dabbed with. )

In order to pull this off I just need to regain my balance. Then put that hard practice to use.

My upper body can become tilted toward the side I twist to.

Braking is something to test and practice during every ride as you start, on location where you feel safe to do so. 

4.) Curves

I feel this might be something to mention now. Curves are something more challenging. The faster you go into curve the more dangerous it will be for new rider. Braking in curve is even more harder to do and can throw you into wobble (in worst case scenario). Brake before curves and go in there in in speed you are confident in.

During winter conditions people try to avoid carving so much in curves. Keeping steady speed is also important. This gives best conditions for the wheels motor to recover from the tire slips.

Last thoughts:

Sometimes overthinking and explaining helps nothing. There are so many riders out there who just ride, ride, ride and ride some more. Brain figures things out and no need for explaining. One day it just works all out.

@Tasku

I'm going to try and respond to all your ideas as I remember those 3 moments:

1) The wind here is strong and I'm ready for it. Today, on a steep climb the wind against was so strong, I curved myself like into fetal position to offer less resistance, and it worked. It wasn't the wind because where and when it happened there was no wind at all.

2) None of what you mentioned. Only hypothesis: oil...but there was no sign of it. The wheel didn't try to match anything, speed for a slit second or direction wise, It felt like the wheel "fainted" for a split second...

3) I was at low speed and in all my warm ups I always test the wobble by a short strong acceleration  and a strong breaking. I do this a lot to check, with the wobble effect, if my feet are ok or my legs tight enough. Tis wasn't wobble. BTW, breaking was one of the easiest things for me to learn. 

Out of this possibility you mention there is one possible cause: I might have been to relaxed, with tired legs or still adjusting to my 1st ride with Powerpads.

3) These events happened both riding in a straight line and on a slight curve on a roundabout. I also practice a lot of curving and in very small spaces, sometimes with an arch of a little over 1mt.

still a mystery to me... but thanks for all the ideas and tips. I'm going to test your breaking, one sided technique too. I like it...

• Like 2

I was mucking about yesterday with my beloved 18L. You want some excess braking, sit to squat, grab that handle and pull backwards. Oh yeah... damn near got a skid out of it. Of course, it took a couple tries, as you really need lean back too far (it seems) at the moment BEFORE you yank back on that handle. I've been experimenting with using this technique to accelrate into faceplant someday.  Just some food for thought, when you are feeling bold and frisky.

In REALLY strong headwinds, I like to duck down in a more attack like posture. It also helps to be sure your clothing is not too loose fitting. Same basic rules of motorcycling, only at much lesser speeds. I too have a dominant leg and it tends to leave me with one foot more forwards than another. I am actively trying to learn to put the OTHER foot forwards and also both evenly. Its quite amazing how different each position feels. I think it would behoove us all to learn to ride evenly at times as well. I could be wrong, but i find my pads are more consistent in use, when footing is even. Braking with pads is so fast, aint it?

Are you logging tours? If this oddity of 'fainting' is continually happening, Im betting its not just in your head. You've ridden enough now, you would know. I find traction on dry pavement is way more than we suspect. If you've ridden gravel, grass, mud and have slid, you already KNOW how that feels. It sounds like you are describing something else. Something perhaps more sinister...  DO you get this feeling or have you EVER, on the 16x? I'd be UBER paranoid if any of my wheels exhibited even the slightest software fart while in operation. The stakes are high, margin for error is low, and we are squishy like grapes. Maybe start logging tours and scour over the power data to MAYBE find the events you describe? At any rate, stay mindful of it and let us know what you conclude!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Wind... I recall it being troublesome for me during my first few months. Some people tried to claim it was a non issue and they are wrong. Its an issue when winds are high, you just gotta learn to ride thru it. I've been on plenty of rides since then, when the winds requires you serious off kilter lean to stay straight, you will get used to it. Even now, at higher speeds where Im leaning hard into the wind, when it lets up, it can cause you to lean a little more all a sudden.

Either get used to it, get thinner, or don't ride in it I guess. I will say that you have WAY much less to fear about wind than I do when on a paramotor. Its no surprise @Taskurespects the wind (perhaps a little too much), as pilots are a little sensitive to it. Cool thing about wind.. if you ride WITH it, it really pushes your ass right along!

I doubt you are breaking traction from accelleration. You are still pretty new and arent using any pads yet. It possible, but unlikely. Unless you felt slippage in gravel, I would suspect that the 'slip' you feel, is mostly in your head. Its quite amazing how a teent tiny wobble simply feels HUGE when its under our feet. Maybe it was something very slight, yet felt massive? Ride more and ride more. When in doubt, grab a strong drink and ride more, ride more! Whatever you do, just don't piss into the wind or spit into the wind. We can learn to ride in high winds, but some other things just cant be done in it.

@ShanesPlanet I also lean hard into the wind and today, while climbing steep roads, I was able to curl/crouch myself almost into a ball to reduce resistance to it quite successfully.

One thing... I was using the powerpads for the 1st time today. It gave me a more relaxed stance and less pain. My main suspicion was more on leg fatigue plus too much relaxation due to the pads. It was like the wheel "fainted" for for a split second....like it was going to disappear under my feet...like it died....really strange...

I've had wobbles while braking. As I mention above I do wobble tests in the beginning of all my rides, by accelerating hard and then braking hard, and then if the wobble is to strong I correct my foot stance and test again and again until its almost or fully gone. IT FELT LIKE THE POWER WENT OFF... but it didn't. I even recall looking at the LED bars on the wheel to check if the battery had gone of the wheel had some power drop...but no, it was healthy and almost full.

By now I'm between 200km and 250km riding, since I've been riding almost  every day since Jan28. 

Ss you mention "Maybe it was something very slight, yet felt massive?"...well the 1st and second, yes they felt slight and I didn't even pay much attention to them. But the 3rd ope lasted a fraction of a second longer and I thought the wheel was going to just drop dead.

Well, tomorrow is another day and I'll see if it happens again and try to read more into it.

Thanks for input, mate. 

On 3/13/2021 at 10:10 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Are you logging tours? If this oddity of 'fainting' is continually happening, Im betting its not just in your head. You've ridden enough now, you would know. I find traction on dry pavement is way more than we suspect. If you've ridden gravel, grass, mud and have slid, you already KNOW how that feels. It sounds like you are describing something else. Something perhaps more sinister...  DO you get this feeling or have you EVER, on the 16x? I'd be UBER paranoid if any of my wheels exhibited even the slightest software fart while in operation. The stakes are high, margin for error is low, and we are squishy like grapes. Maybe start logging tours and scour over the power data to MAYBE find the events you describe? At any rate, stay mindful of it and let us know what you conclude!

@ShanesPlanet, it only happened today and never with the 16X. Your idea of the Tour logging was great and I went to my EUCW Tour log and detected where and when it happened for the 3rd and worse time. But I don't see anything out of the ordinary... especially because I don't understand sh*t about power, volts, amps, etc....

Edited by Paulo Mesquita

I agree with Shane, it's something I would also take seriously. Any forward pedal dipping should be monitored closely. I'm not familiar with the V11, but I do wonder if some pedal dipping might have been present within the early version firmware. You'd need to scan through some of the first batch posts to see if this was an issue.

I'm still getting my RS sorted and it does a bit of forward pedal dip right now. It is very predictable though, and only happens in certain situations i.e. when riding on rough terrain and cornering at the same time. I haven't taken another run at the calibration, but I also know from other posts on the forum that this may be a board and early version firmware issue with my wheel. I read somewhere that an owner of my wheel version replaced the board and updated the firmware to resolve the issue.

If I didn't know what was going on with the forward pedal dip thing it would definitely freak me out a bit. The reason is that forward pedal dip is what happens right before the f'n wheel over powers, shuts off and launches you into a FACEPLANT! I can easily hit the overpower alarm on my 2000 watt KS XL with power pads, without the alarm I would have probably overpowered and crashed that wheel by now...

You can gather a little more in depth information from the csv file of your tour. Im not sure how frequent the power reporting is, but its not incredibly slow. I don't hardly know what the numbers all mean, but i DO know when something looks like an obvious deviation from the majority of the content. Since you're describing such a very short duration of power loss, it would be a miracle if you could spot it on the csv. However, it doesnt take much loss of power at ALL, to end your pleasant ride in a quick manner. Stay alert and as Unime mentioned... scour over the details of the version you have. Perhaps contact the warranty issuer and simply ask if they've had any reports of such behavior. This issue alone, is MORE than worrisome enough, to warrant its own thread.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

On 3/14/2021 at 5:47 AM, ShanesPlanet said:

You can gather a little more in depth information from the csv file of your tour. Im not sure how frequent the power reporting is, but its not incredibly slow. I don't hardly know what the numbers all mean, but i DO know when something looks like an obvious deviation from the majority of the content. Since you're describing such a very short duration of power loss, it would be a miracle if you could spot it on the csv. However, it doesnt take much loss of power at ALL, to end your pleasant ride in a quick manner. Stay alert and as Unime mentioned... scour over the details of the version you have. Perhaps contact the warranty issuer and simply ask if they've had any reports of such behavior. This issue alone, is MORE than worrisome enough, to warrant its own thread.

@ShanesPlanet @UniMe @mrelwood @GoGeorgeGo@Tasku I've attached the excel log and marked in red the hour (13h59) logs of the second and most scary 2nd incident. However I also did that roundabout 13h51 about 8 minutes earlier, (did this part twice in a row) and I'm just not sure if it was a 13h59 or 13h51...Maybe you guys can make heads or tails of it. 

Edited by Paulo Mesquita

23 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I would suspect that the 'slip' you feel, is mostly in your head.

I think what can happen at times, is that our bodies can get a sensation that the wheel is not responding directly to our pedal inputs. But we could be getting into body positions and mindsets where we are coasting along in a neutral condition, and the wheel is doing the same thing. This could be interpreted as floating, or a disconnected sensation for a moment, or a few moments. 

This whole thing sounds very familiar and reminds me of an older and very long MSP discussion, where @DjPanJan was describing a sensation that felt like his pedals "float like wood on water" for a short period of time. This was a very long discussion but this area of the discussion was centered around calibration. The interesting part for @Paulo Mesquita starts here. A bit further on in the conversation @DjPanJan responds to the subject. And then, much further on in the thread is my response

Could the "slip" be the same thing as the "floating on water" feeling in the other MSP thread?

• Like 2

@Scottie this is parallel to what I was getting at. My 'not quite truly, true level' calibration on my RS behaves as described in the threads you linked. I'll get on the truly, true level with calibration before replacing the board etc. It could also be that the first batch V11 Paulo has needs a firmware update and/or re-calibration. If these don't resolve the pedal dip issue, then it might need a trip back to the seller or something.

Edited by UniMe
  • Like 2

@Scottie@UniMe @ShanesPlanet ...I figured it out on the ride today (#Ride 37). It was a mix of 3 things:

Wind + unleveled asphalt + loosened and more relaxed legs due to confidence and powerpads.

Today on the ride I met the same wind conditions. It was a north wind, with strong and sudden gushes that was registered at an average of 11km/h. I went back to the area where the incident happened and tightened my legs against the power pads in such a way that there was hardly any space between the inner soles of my sneakers and the V11 main body.

And even so, I felt the "incident" trying to make its presence. But I was prepared. It had to do with those 3 above factors, mainly from what I figured out, when a strong gush of wind hit the wheel (and me) almost frontally, say between 15º  to 35º to the right (or left) front of the wheel.

What I figured out happened was that the wind passing between the inner side of my sneakers and the V11 body...and also against the power pads...THAT ARE NOT TOTALLY ATTACHED TO THE MAIN BODY DUE TO THE SUSPENSION... created not only a strong wind tunnel between my sneakers and the V11 body, but also destabilized the wheel  with a "sail effect" of the frontal parts of the powerpads that were not attached.

I hope I explained this right...

Anyway, today I was a better sailor (now I know why I never liked sailboats) and I literally didn't ride 23kms...I sailed them. Actually and funny enough there were two moments that, with my 96kgs leaning totally forward... the V11 almost went to a full stand still, so strong was the frontal wind!!!

Btw, I forgot to measure the SAG after the PSI pressure changes I did today, but even with all the wind swinging me right and left, the ride was much more comfortable. Tomorrow I have to measure the SAG...can't forget...

Edited by Paulo Mesquita
  • Like 2

Excellent news! External factors are MUCH better than unknown mechanical factors. Im glad you got it sorted. Wind is definitely a thing, as wind resistance is part of the ever changing math equation. Add some pavement, some debris, some parts or clothing variances.... Man I love this game! High stakes, immediate rewards!

• Like 3