EUC World - Charging control in upcoming 2.4 release

Seba

16 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Was the shelly (charger) still turned on after the wheel stopped charging or did EUC World actually turn off the shelly to stop the charger?

I believe the sequence was that the charger stopped charging (green) then shortly after, EUCW powered off the charger via Shelly. The wheel then powered off and communication with EUCW ended.

I have noticed that starting a charge cycle in EUCW when the EUC is already charged (so the charger doesn't begin charging), leads to EUCW turning off the charger again within about 15s (presumably due to the 30W minimum you mentioned). I assume this is the answer to my question as to why the charger was powered off without waiting for an additional 1 hour.

I may need to investigate if I have a charger and/or battery issue, as I've not seen the charger ever enter CV phase. Charging just ends (green) before the voltage reaches 84V or the current begins falling from 2.5A (CC level). I had assumed balancing occurred after charging was complete (green), but if I understand your explanation correctly, it's actually occurring during CV phase.

2 minutes ago, RossJ said:

I believe the sequence was that the charger stopped charging (green) then shortly after, EUCW powered off the charger via Shelly. The wheel then powered off and communication with EUCW ended.

So the wheel (firmware or bms) seems to have cut off charging, so the charger led turned green as no charging current was flowing anymore and than EUCW detected power dissipation dropping below 30W.

You have the charge graph?

It should look like "half" of the one shown here

Can your KS18S stop charging below 100% by firmware as some newer KS can? Maybe it is set to stop at 85%? Or your charger has some setting to stop prematurely?

Another reason could be the bms cutting charge due to single cell overvoltage - this would mean that one of the battery packs is seriously misbalanced.

I have noticed that starting a charge cycle in EUCW when the EUC is already charged (so the charger doesn't begin charging), leads to EUCW turning off the charger again within about 15s (presumably due to the 30W minimum you mentioned). I assume this is the answer to my question as to why the charger was powered off without waiting for an additional 1 hour.

Afaik/r the 1 hour period should still start? Maybe there is some additional option in EUCW to enable this additional balancing?

I may need to investigate if I have a charger and/or battery issue, as I've not seen the charger ever enter CV phase. Charging just ends (green) before the voltage reaches 84V or the current begins falling from 2.5A (CC level).

+1! It's not healthy for the batteries only charge with the cc stage 

I had assumed balancing occurred after charging was complete (green), but if I understand your explanation correctly, it's actually occurring during CV phase.

Exactly - seems like your batteries are not getting balanced (by now).

Once you checked the above points (and whatever else you can think of) try to charge each of the three packs separately if one is heavily unbalanced and so stops charging at ~85%. Afair one of the three packs consits of two 10s packs in series?

18 minutes ago, Chriull said:

You have the charge graph?

I don't. However I do have the data log. Voltage rose from 73.9V (58%) to 82.5V (95%) over about 2.5h. Charge current was constant at around 2.5A before abruptly ending the charge.

32 minutes ago, Chriull said:

+1! It's not healthy for the batteries only charge with the cc stage

I think for the moment I'll assume there is an issue with either the charger or pack/cells and try to resolve that first. Probably everything EUCW is doing will then make sense.

The charger is pretty basic with no configuration. I'd assumed it was so basic as to not even do CV. But you may be correct in that cell imbalance is just preventing it reaching that point. I'll investigate further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RossJ said:

2. I have observed a couple of times when I connect the charger that EUC World showed a current of around 0.3 to 0.5A on both the main and detail screens, in spite of the charger indicating charge in progress (red light).

I just noticed the erroneous current reading was reflected in the data log too. So the data log shows the voltage rising but no charge current (just a small load). I was watching the charge screen on EUCW and it certainly showed -2.5A.

19 hours ago, RossJ said:

1. I set the charge level to 100% and balance period to 1h. In spite of this, the charger was powered off moments after charging was complete. Is this to be expected? Perhaps there is a minimum voltage which must be reached to be considered fully charged and thus balancing will be engaged? If so, what is the threshold? Or does the wheel actually report when it's balancing? The charge cycle only reached 82.5V (95%) before charging ended.

Yes, this is how charging control in EUCW works. If Ii detects that charging has been completed or interrupted, charger is turned off and the wheel connection is closed. S18 doesn't report balancing status to the app. If charging was completed at 82.5V it may be caused by charging limit (set in "Wheel" menu) to something less than 100 % or activation of cell overcharge protection in BMS.

19 hours ago, RossJ said:

Now that I have access to the charge screen of EUC World, I saw the same thing happen only the charge screen correctly reported -2.5A whilst the home and detail screens reported 0.4A. After a short while (a minute or so I think), the 0.4A changed to -2.5A across the app. This appears to be a display bug of some sort. Is this a known issue? I'm using 2.40.0 on a Pixel 7.

Battery current shown in chargin control tab is a calculated current, while the current shown in main and detail pages is a current reported by the wheel. Some wheels doesn't measure chargin current, so current displayed in main and details tab may be showing current near zero while actual charging current may be higher. I have also noticed strange behaviour in some KS firmwares that causes the charging current to be displayed or not.

So it's best to rely on current displayed in charging control tab.

• Like 2

Went out riding today to find I was no longer a premium user in EUC World ! Wasn't expecting my membership to run out til next year, so this was something of a surprise...

On checking with the website, I suddenly notice we have an invalid date going on there too, which probably explains it. It was a shame - I needed my wind data, and was trying to record some perfectly horrible harmonica busking for us all to 'enjoy' later !

image.png.5983278cf41570a087ad22638036848c.png

Any idea what's going on there @Seba ? :)

Cheers dude

7 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Went out riding today to find I was no longer a premium user in EUC World

I noticed my Premium had expired too! Guess I had better be getting my wallet out, EUC/journey detailed data has been my staple diet since I started riding. Unlike you I think mine is a genuine expiration though :(

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

EUC/journey detailed data has been my staple diet since I started riding.

Ditto ! I am constantly perusing and checking those stats... ah well, sure it'll be back up again soon... Seba is normally very good with fixing these things...

19 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Went out riding today to find I was no longer a premium user in EUC World ! Wasn't expecting my membership to run out til next year, so this was something of a surprise...

On checking with the website, I suddenly notice we have an invalid date going on there too, which probably explains it. It was a shame - I needed my wind data, and was trying to record some perfectly horrible harmonica busking for us all to 'enjoy' later !

Any idea what's going on there @Seba ? :)

According to my records, you've made a payment of 25 EUR at November 3, 2022. This payment activated your Premium that was valid until February 16, 2024. If you've extended your Premium after November 3, 2022, please let me know providing me details of transaction and I'll check it ASAP.

"Invalid date" is a bug on the website; as your Premium is no longer valid, there's no Premium validity date and this information shouldn't be visible. I will fix it, thanks for bringing this issue to my attention :)

Thanks @Seba. I coulda sworn I did 2 year's worth originally, but no worries if it has just run out - I've already sent you some more cashings - you fully deserve it, and that app continues to be the most useful thing an EUC rider could have on ones person other than the wheel itself  !

If we want to further eliminate enquiring idiots like me who have forgotten when / how much they paid, perhaps we could consider sending out automated mails a week before premium is about to expire to remind us to renew ? Just a thought - I know the information about expiry is always there in our accounts, but I bet a lot of us forget that's there !

Edited by Cerbera

• 3 weeks later...

For those who don't have the HS110: it would already be quite helpful if the app could ring an alarm when a certain charge status (or a certain voltage) is reached during charging.

Currently, I read out the wheel voltage, estimate the charge time to the desired voltage in my head and set a timer and repeat when my time estimate was too low. This is relatively simple, however, being able to just set an alarm voltage in EUC world would be a notable improvement.