Pedal upgrades: grip tape, studs, spikes

Installed the pedals. Unfortunately they don't come with axles, which is a ...hassle! I used the Nylonove axles which are a bit too long (the OEM axles are too short) now I need to get the seller to do something about it. Edit: since the factory says the original axles are fine they won't do anything. I have bought steel rods that should fit...shame though!

Anyway, great pedals, very well machined, they are wider (by maybe 1cm?) than OEMs and Nylonove, so more comfortable as you don't have your shoe hanging out slightly, with similar bolt grip to Nylonove (but way heavier of course, which is not necessarily such a bad thing.) There is no magnet, they hold in place with the S18 metal tab system (which is not great but works more or less.)

Expensive for sure, if you don't feel the need for more width stick with the Chaput metal inlays.

I will be selling the Nylonove if anyone from EU is interested.

Edited by EUC Forest
update
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'll hold off indefinitely on the larger pedals, as I'm pretty locked into one foot position w/the Kai Pads. 

Between those, and the spikes I added, I'm feeling pretty comfortable and "locked in", and haven't noticed the overhang as much.... 

The Red Green (TV show) approach is studded grip tape. Studs built into snow shedding grip tape. Works really well... I've had it on since mid winter waiting for Hextechs, but even though the Hextechs finally came in in-stock, the seller never shipped them so I finally cancelled. The studded grip tape is now a keeper. I shall rue not having the sexiness of the Hextechs, but that's about it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WillCO said:

I think I'll hold off indefinitely on the larger pedals, as I'm pretty locked into one foot position w/the Kai Pads. 

Between those, and the spikes I added, I'm feeling pretty comfortable and "locked in", and haven't noticed the overhang as much.... 

The new metal hex pedals also change the foot angle quite a bit, more to the inside (V shaped), so you can tuck the foot more in the side of the wheel; takes some getting used to but seems to help with low speed 180°s. Of course the extra size enables you to move the foot back and forth more easily to reduce fatigue.

BTW: broke one of the crappy metal clips that hold the pedals when folded, Wheel Riders Store on Ali are sending me some free clips, nice of them. Still I had to buy steel bearings for the pedals (15USD) which should have been provided (they were with the Nylonove, although without the notch for the screw).

• Like 1

On 20/9/2021 at 3:05, Xenn said:

Estoy buscando algunos pedales nuevos para mi S18 y he visto bastantes selecciones, pero no estoy seguro de si se venden en sitios confiables o de buena calidad. Por ejemplo, estos pedales son los que me interesan. Nunca oí hablar de AliExpress y soy un poco nuevo en las modificaciones fuera del mercado.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003135754704.html?algo_pvid=1489cb19-0bb3-4da2-87a3-dc97b8931842&algo_exp_id=1489cb19-0bb3-4da2-87a3-dc97b8931842-8

Si tienes alguna, puedes comprar sugerencias o sitios donde puedes comprar más modificaciones del S18 o accesorios que se agradecerían.

There is another option that is also a bit high in price, it is this But the cheapest is also to screw these screws, and the foot will not move

On 10/2/2021 at 4:37 AM, Tawpie said:

The Red Green (TV show) approach is studded grip tape. Studs built into snow shedding grip tape. Works really well... I've had it on since mid winter waiting for Hextechs, but even though the Hextechs finally came in in-stock, the seller never shipped them so I finally cancelled. The studded grip tape is now a keeper. I shall rue not having the sexiness of the Hextechs, but that's about it. mcdvoice

I have used the "Chaput" (great for the price, spiked) pedals as well as Nylonove (webbed, expensive, narrower, with bolts) but was really looking for wider pedals, hopefully those do the trick, they are 14cm from wheel to edge.

• Like 1

• RagingGrandpa changed the title to Pedal upgrades: grip tape, studs, spikes

With studs/spikes installed, you don't need the grip tape so much. Your feet will rarely if ever touch the grip tape. When thinking "how many", do remember the bed of nails: you can have too many. Look at pictures of Fish pedals, Chaputs and the purpose built ones to get an idea of the range that works. I myself prefer fewer, but if you have too few you run some risk of tearing up the soles of your shoes. I don't think you want the spikes to penetrate the sole of your shoe, but you do want maximum pressure on the various points so your foot won't shift around as easily.

Doesn't help does it?

• Like 3

On 10/4/2021 at 8:06 PM, alcatraz said:

How many studs would you say are "minimum"?

For street riding, just 2 or 3 near the forefoot. (With griptape covering the rest of the pedal.)

I found the main utility of studs is providing resistance to the foot moving off the front of the pedal during braking on bumpy surfaces...
I've never had my foot move completely off the front; but it's moved forward a few inches during unexpected situations, and the thought of foot-in-front-of-moving-EUC is terrifying. Studs bite your shoe and reduce that risk.

Edited by RagingGrandpa
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, alcatraz said:

Has anyone here attempted to modify the original gotway footrests? I'm wondering if the removable grip tape plate is thick enough to tap a thread into? I'm thinking about putting some of these in.

I do not have any experience with the thickness of the original GotWay pedal plates, but this topic I created back in June 2020 about my Z10 pedal plates may help you.

The pedal plates for the Z10 are ONLY 1.5mm thick aluminium, but were just thick enough to take a 4mm thread to accommodate the MTB pedal pins I chose to use.

If the grub screws you are using are 4mm diameter and the GotWay pedal plates are at least 1.5mm thick you should be good to go!

Hope this helps.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

Ok so I read @Tawpie's thread about putting studded grip tape on their pedals and I currently am rocking their ice shoes hack on my KS16x. But I guess they no longer make the studded grip tape that they ordered. So is it feasible to just remove the grip tape and then just get flat head 1/2 or 1/4 inch screws and then laying grip tape over it?

Edited by mrelwood

• mrelwood changed the title to Studded pedal grip tape? (Original title: “Quick question.”)

I don't think snowboard stomp spikes are quite the right answer... those are rather blunt and very tall, and would be uncomfortable to stand on with a normal sneaker or skate shoe. 

I think drilling small holes in the pedals and screwing-in cheap generic "grub screws" (internal-wrenching set screws) is the cheapest practical way. 
And MTB pedal studs are a natural upgrade from there. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, onewheelkoregro said:

Ok so I read @Tawpie's thread about putting studded grip tape on their pedals and I currently am rocking their ice shoes hack on my KS16x. But I guess they no longer make the studded grip tape that they ordered. So is it feasible to just remove the grip tape and then just get flat head 1/2 or 1/4 inch screws and then laying grip tape over it?

I'd drill the plates and put in proper grub screws, tape holding down a screw head isn't going to last long before the screw tears its way out

• Like 2

On 4/25/2023 at 10:51 PM, onewheelkoregro said:

just get flat head 1/2 or 1/4 inch screws and then laying grip tape over it?

Flat-head screws will likely tear out... but if you had the right shape of stud, I think you could indeed make your own 'studded grip tape' this way...
(And maybe with the assistance of a dab of glue under each stud.)

No harm in trying, be sure to post back with your findings :) 

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804043906693.html 
Universal-Anti-skid-Winter-Tire-Studs-Snow-Tire-Spikes-Off-road-Vehicle-Tire-Nails-6-5.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Edited by RagingGrandpa

Has anyone ever ordered this from AliExpress? https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804902732848.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.456330940uoURG&algo_pvid=58671efb-31f5-466e-8cd6-fc3ab7356494&algo_exp_id=58671efb-31f5-466e-8cd6-fc3ab7356494-0&pdp_npi=3%40dis!USD!82.0!82.0!!!!!%4021227f7e16826366190572223d077c!12000031604769606!sea!US!4290643948&curPageLogUid=t4AzFyWUmaZi

These I believe are manufactured by Kingsong and only available through AliExpress or Alibaba. Will have to wait but these are the only option if I don't want to spend $300+ for aftermarket pedals. Has anyone ordered these in this forum? do they come with the pedal hangers or will I have to reuse the ones on my EUC right now?

Well I figure I will leave a copy of this vid here.  The point of the video was the tube-replacement.  But as for pedals, these are the universal pedals from eWheels.  And best of all (thread winner, chicken dinner!  ding ding) is the blue kickstand I made for it.  That has a friction mounted pivot on the left side pedal. 

• Like 1

A rider I know put pop rivets through a stock pedal for spikes. Worked decently. I think he put them in upside down and cut them to the length he liked. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
On 10/6/2021 at 2:14 AM, alcatraz said:

Thank you very much.

Has anyone here attempted to modify the original gotway footrests? I'm wondering if the removable grip tape plate is thick enough to tap a thread into? I'm thinking about putting some of these in.

tb_image_share_1633482680134.jpg

Don’t you know where to buy these in UK?

I used to use them few years ago, but totally forgotten where did I get them from…

Edited by PogArtTi

I was never into knobs and don't think I ever will be. I'd much rather keep using Vicious Griptape, I'm pretty sure this stuff was designed for use on kayaks, it's seriously grippy to the point where you can easily break the skin on your fingers when it's brand new. Not even with heavy rain or mud on my shoes have I slipped even a tiny bit on this stuff. I also used to use this stuff to keep me planted before powerpads were commercially available. 

The only negative is having to turn one of your scissors into " the griptape scissors " because it will never cut the same way again. 

vicbl__32247.1399757416_1280_1280-30276989.thumb.png.c6977e9b52bf805491eb0ab99bbb12a4.png

Edited by xiiijojjo
  • Thanks 1