Pedal upgrades: grip tape, studs, spikes

Honeycomb pedals with Hex Socket Screws - best ordeal of both worlds..

Grip tape gets dirty and in winter the pedals get coated with snow/ice and become slippery. Honeycomb pedals fix that issue easily. Yet for some regular "spikes" are way to grippy and they can destroy soles of shoes. I personally have replaced original pedal spikes to those screws.. Grip is about the same as grip tape, but same time snow/mud doesn't make pedals slippery.

Also these screws have bigger head and aren't sharp, where regular spikes have sharp edge, meaning they don't dig into shoes that much and doesn't cut soles.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPQoGTTqTdxzLVlbZuiAEimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3MwpvUAZahGDbz1mKF42

As for pedals that have plastic top cover. Remove top part of pedal - simply drill some holes and put screw with a nut over it - great success. 

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

I was never into knobs and don't think I ever will be. I'd much rather keep using Vicious Griptape, I'm pretty sure this stuff was designed for use on kayaks, it's seriously grippy to the point where you can easily break the skin on your fingers when it's brand new. Not even with heavy rain or mud on my shoes have I slipped even a tiny bit on this stuff. I also used to use this stuff to keep me planted before powerpads were commercially available. 

The only negative is having to turn one of your scissors into " the griptape scissors " because it will never cut the same way again. 

vicbl__32247.1399757416_1280_1280-30276989.thumb.png.c6977e9b52bf805491eb0ab99bbb12a4.png

Thanks for recommendation !!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Funky said:

Honeycomb pedals with Hex Socket Screws - best ordeal of both worlds..

Grip tape gets dirty and in winter the pedals get coated with snow/ice and become slippery. Honeycomb pedals fix that issue easily. Yet for some regular "spikes" are way to grippy and they can destroy soles of shoes. I personally have replaced original pedal spikes to those screws.. Grip is about the same as grip tape, but same time snow/mud doesn't make pedals slippery.

Also screws have bigger head than regular spikes, meaning they don't dig into shoes that much and doesn't cut soles.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPQoGTTqTdxzLVlbZuiAEimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3MwpvUAZahGDbz1mKF42

As for pedals that have plastic top cover. Remove top part of pedal - simply drill some holes and put screw with a nut over it - great success. 

Just regular screw?

Is that simply solution?!

Why I haven’t consider it at all 😅

Dont you know if I can get these Honeycomb pedals for BEGODE EX in UK please?

18 minutes ago, PogArtTi said:

Just regular screw?

Is that simply solution?!

Why I haven’t consider it at all 😅

Dont you know if I can get these Honeycomb pedals for BEGODE EX in UK please?

If your pedals have that plastic top cover - yes.. Simple screw with a nut over it is all you need. Original pedals, but now you got some studs.. And you can put as many as you want. Start by drilling 10 per pedals and see now much drip you need more.. More screws - more grip. :D 

Screw head inside the pedal - tread coming outwards - nut over tread.

Final-Screws.jpg89721939-1510378455798236-89885205021002

7B4F431D-314E-4FCE-B8C1-E52E7664247B.jpemdGpZa5_d.webp?maxwidth=1520&fidelity=gr

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Funky said:

If your pedals have that plastic top cover - yes.. Simple screw with a nut over it is all you need. Original pedals, but now you got some studs.. And you can put as many as you want. Start by drilling 10 per pedals and see now much drip you need more.. More screws - more grip. :D 

Screw head inside the pedal - tread coming outwards - nut over tread.

Final-Screws.jpg89721939-1510378455798236-898852050210027B4F431D-314E-4FCE-B8C1-E52E7664247B.jpe

I’ve checked on Google search for Honeycomb pedals, they’re everywhere 😅

I’m tempting to upgrade, but not now as they’re so steep 😅😅😅

Your idea of using general screws is so simply👍

More important ~ these flat heads won’t hurt the sole of the shoe !

I’m amazed 👍👍👍

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Finn Bjerke said:

USe studs  --- much much better  

5 holes in modernne pedals - drill studs in and your grip is improved by 100%

Cheers !!!

I have few options now, I like the flat heads idea, instead of studs ~ just because it seems to be more easy for the soles?

I have a problem ~ I’m struggling to find studs that I could use …

Can you help please? (UK)

Thanks !!!

Posted (edited)

I made a small video about it as an answer to Jonos video:   Studs is the way to go

Also Watch this: 

Edited by Finn Bjerke
  • Thanks 1

Could you guys confirm the size for me please?

I just have found these two on eBay 👍
The other one in black it’s tyre fixing plug 😅

I’m confused which to choose now, as the tyre version looks more gently to the sole of the shoe?

IMG_1436.jpeg

IMG_1438.jpeg

Edited by PogArtTi

34 minutes ago, PogArtTi said:

I just have found these two on eBay

The thread on those is for a soft material like plastic or rubber, i wouldn't put those into a footplate for i feel they would not have enough holding power and couldn't be threaded with a tap first.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

The thread on those is for a soft material like plastic or rubber, i wouldn't put those into a footplate for i feel they would not have enough holding power and couldn't be threaded with a tap first.

Thanks … 👍

Maybe some useful info in this topic I wrote some years ago: 

• Thanks 1

I would also say consider these 2 things before a DIY pedal stud kit.

Anytime you drill holes into a structure it weakens its overall integrity and for weight savings a lot of these pedals don't have much wiggle room if you are a heavy rider.

Secondly, usually during an unexpected departure from the wheel the wheel does a dramatic "twist" and if your feet are anchored to it like glue, you will probably break something. The v13 studs are probably the least aggressive ones out there and as long as you are wearing the proper shoes/boots for grip they are fine at 55mph and also off road .

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PogArtTi said:

Don’t you know where to buy these in UK?

I used to use them few years ago, but totally forgotten where did I get them from…

I ordered mine online. I live in China.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, fbhb said:

Maybe some useful info in this topic I wrote some years ago: 

This is a great description, and how to DIY ~ thanks a lot!!!

6 hours ago, Punxatawneyjoe said:

I would also say consider these 2 things before a DIY pedal stud kit.

Anytime you drill holes into a structure it weakens its overall integrity and for weight savings a lot of these pedals don't have much wiggle room if you are a heavy rider.

Secondly, usually during an unexpected departure from the wheel the wheel does a dramatic "twist" and if your feet are anchored to it like glue, you will probably break something. The v13 studs are probably the least aggressive ones out there and as long as you are wearing the proper shoes/boots for grip they are fine at 55mph and also off road .

Thanks a lot for good point of view my friend.

I used to have 6 or 7 studs at each pedal fitted, just for the sake to improve the grip, not to get glued if that makes sense 😉

All I’m after is to put few studs again, here and there 👍

TBH I’m liking the Honeycomb pedals with studs a lot, I’m tempting to buy.

The main reason ~ they’re opened through, so no dirt or anything remains on the top, but is disposed throughout the pedal immediately…

It’s very expensive to get them though, so it will take me some time to save £££ 😉

Thanks.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alcatraz said:

I ordered mine online. I live in China.

I’m just asking questions, considering other options, searching what is available to buy…

I’m tempting to buy Honeycomb pedals, as for me they’re worth to upgrade to…

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Original KingSong S22 pedals Shock-absorbing electric unicycle pedal  assembly KS S22 spare parts - AliExpress

Drill holes using 4.5 mm drill --- dont take the pedal off. Drill the studs down into the pedal You dont need to make thread and just use 5 studs in the from well supported area of the pedal... USe hex tool to get the studs in there

Edited by Finn Bjerke