V11 fast universal charger ?

Finn Bjerke

Partial charge does lengthen the cell life, but it’s only when charged to 100% the cells in a pack gets balanced (aligned). If this never happen they will end up so different it can lead to dangerous failure.

We don’t know the state of our cells and how matched they are, so it isn’t really possible to say how often or long they should be balanced.

The safer choice, at cost of cell lifetime, if to all ways charge to 100%.

A while back one thought ballancing every 5-10 charge was enough, but possibly it isn’t.

I go for an in between of balancing every 1-3 charge.

Being stored at 100% also wears on cells, so I charge before rather than after a trip.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, EUChristian said:

Why all the false info out there?

Internet is just neutral - it keeps everything. And (about) everyone is allowed to shout out (about) everythimg.

In this special case it was just that it took some time that the starting EUC community learned about li ion cells. Some time ago it was discovered that charging li ion cells to just 80-90% can greatly increase their lifespan. The charge doctor was privately developed and distributed to achieve this premature charge shutdown and resellers acknowledged this new wisdom of the community and started providing chargers with this features.

Unfortionately no one knew that this is only true for single cells or maybe still for low count serial cell groups. With 16, 20 or 24 cells in series they become imbalanced too fast by this 80-90% charging so that the packs become unusable before any normal aging by a 100% charge would occur.

Some time the full charge every 10 times or more often was heavily pronounced and now - at least around this forum it's "common knowledge" to forget all tuis stuff and make full charges.

As long as it took to discover the 80-90% charge and getting this knowledge spread and chargers available at resellers, as long it will take until this gets reversed and corrected again.

...and in many years from now someone will find again the great advantage of 80-90% charging in the internet and the cycle starts again...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EUChristian said:

Very confused. I've read several places not to fully charge or discharge the wheel. Why all the false info out there?  In fact i bought a quick charger for my KS16 and it specifically stated that charging to 90 percent helps batteries last longer. 

I'm not disagreeing with you just wondering why this 90 percent malarkey is out there. I mean why even have a selector to limit charging to 80 or 90%?

Exactly as @Rawnei already replied. The EUC batteries only start balancing roughly when the charging voltage reaches the maximum, ie. when you see 100% charge in the app.

Searching for “won’t charge beyond” lists numerous examples of what happens when the pack is not balanced often enough.

8 hours ago, Chriull said:

As long as it took to discover the 80-90% charge and getting this knowledge spread and chargers available at resellers, as long it will take until this gets reversed and corrected again.

I just wish we could get Ewheels to recognize that their description of the 80% charging is faulty, or at least questionable enough to remove it from their web shop. I provided the info and evidence and tried to start a discussion, but nothing came of it.

I feel like the 80 percent charge would be fine if they would allow us to change be the BMS balance parameters. 

I am new to the EUC world (V11 on order) but I've been in the diy esk8 scene for a long time. I've builtat least 10 batteries of 50 cells or more . When I make batteries for my all my PEVs I always use a bluetooth bms. The Bluetooth bms allows me to static balance or charge valance at any voltage of my choosing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to drag this post back up, but I purchased this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001414053242.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.396a4c4dQE3GOT and it is working well for my v11. My daughter has an 84v Mten3, and I was hoping we could switch off and use the same charger for both if we had an adapter. The last thing I want to do is to fry either one of them, so I wanted to see if anyone knew what I might need to be able to charge the Mten3. Thanks in advance!

2 hours ago, Mr Dilkington said:

I have had exactly the same for a few days for my V11 and I am very happy.  I usually use the original to take care of more batteries I guess, but this one is perfect to carry and charge when needed

On 12/19/2020 at 1:02 AM, Mr Dilkington said:

YZ-450. I have one also.

It's pretty aggressive for 512wh MTen3 to charge at 450W. You might get away with it, but it's too risky for daily use.

Better to charge at 1/2 of the battery's capacity rating or less, e.g.: 512wh MTen3 is safe to charge at 250W.

23 hours ago, RagingGrandpa said:

YZ-450. I have one also.

It's pretty aggressive for 512wh MTen3 to charge at 450W. You might get away with it, but it's too risky for daily use.

Better to charge at 1/2 of the battery's capacity rating or less, e.g.: 512wh MTen3 is safe to charge at 250W.

That makes sense. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am trying to charge my V11 using a lifepo battery (solar charged) with a step-up converter (from 12V to 84V), with which you can also set max amps.

This can also enable one to carry a spare ebike battery for instance and recharge on the go.

However I seem to have the wrong wiring for the GX12-3 pin because nothing happens, does anyone know how it is wired? Thanks!

Edit: the wiring is indicated on the inmotion charger, so I will try again...

Edited by Fntmsgotwaymten3
found it!

• 1 year later...
On 10/29/2020 at 11:39 PM, stephen said:

I use my 5amp fast charger what I've been using for years for my 84v wheels i just use an adapter  20201005-223024.jpg

Hi Stephen, would you please share where you got that adapter? Somehow, a search phrase "gx16-4 4 pin male to gx12-3 3pin female adapter" gives me just individual gx12-3 or gx16-4 connectors BUT NOT adapters.

Do you/we have to DIY? If so, is there any more specific guidance on the material and wiring?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...