V11 fast universal charger ?

Finn Bjerke

I am interested in a fast charger for the V11 as well.  I would like one that you can program to only charge up to 80% and use any amps from 1-5A.  Does anybody have any idea of one that would work for the V11 with the smart charging capabilities?  I’m able to solder if I need to.  I would just need to know what to solder exactly.  

On 10/24/2020 at 10:57 PM, Johnnyh64 said:

I am interested in a fast charger for the V11 as well.  I would like one that you can program to only charge up to 80% and use any amps from 1-5A.  Does anybody have any idea of one that would work for the V11 with the smart charging capabilities?  I’m able to solder if I need to.  I would just need to know what to solder exactly.  

Ditto! Anyone got suggestions for a 2nd charger?

Are we sure 5amp chargers are safe?

Liam from InMotion was very very specific in Telegram chat: 2.5A x 2 is the max we can use - 5A max total with 2.5A max on each port. There have also been warnings not to use different voltages on each port like using the new 2.5amp charger with an old 1.5amp V8 charger (and adapter) on the other port.

image.png.98ef68c0a0fb92ba9ca03f8fc6b625df.png

On 10/25/2020 at 4:57 AM, Johnnyh64 said:

I would like one that you can program to only charge up to 80%

FYI, the only sure effect we’ve learned from charging to only 80% is to destroy the battery pack, even as soon as 1000 miles in. Cell aging/degradation from charging only to 100% otoh should show it’s first signs only after around 15000 miles. The discussion is a bit of a deep rabbit hole, but search terms “won’t charge above” and “cell balancing” will get you started if you decide to find out more.

That’s of course not to say that a selectable amp charger wouldn’t be a good idea. ‘Cause it is.

50 minutes ago, Tryptych said:

We are sure that 5A is safe from the main board onwards, since the charge leads are connected at the board. But I haven’t checked the charge ports and possible small circuit boards they could be connected to.

50 minutes ago, Tryptych said:

Liam from InMotion was very very specific in Telegram chat: 2.5A x 2 is the max we can use - 5A max total with 2.5A max on each port.

If you dissect his wording more closely, he actually didn’t say that 2x 2.5A is the max we can use, but that we can only use two 2.5A chargers. It could be seen as only referring to the availability of chargers with suitable connectors, which aren’t readily available as a single 5A charger (at least weren’t at the time).

Also, the V8 charger has a different pinout, so it won’t work with the V11 at all. Which might be the basis for the warnings regarding different amp chargers. But again, someone needs to open up the rear light assembly to confirm either way.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Liam from InMotion was very very specific in Telegram chat: 2.5A x 2 is the max we can use - 5A max total with 2.5A max on each port. There have also been warnings not to use different voltages on each port like using the new 2.5amp charger with an old 1.5amp V8 charger (and adapter) on the other port.

Bloody chargers are totally overpriced.  but I wonder if its possible to split the fast charger (5A) to communicate with 2 ports ? 

20 hours ago, mrelwood said:

FYI, the only sure effect we’ve learned from charging to only 80% is to destroy the battery pack,

Can others confirm this? I've been unplugging my V11 as it tops 90-95% because of rumours I've heard that it makes the battery last longer. Would appreciate more confirmation, should I just let it hit 100%?

6 hours ago, Finn Bjerke said:

Bloody chargers are totally overpriced.  but I wonder if its possible to split the fast charger (5A) to communicate with 2 ports ? 

I've heard of people using splitters on their 5a to make it 2x2.5.... again, more info would be appreciated!

Thanks guys

2 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Can others confirm this? I've been unplugging my V11 as it tops 90-95% because of rumours I've heard that it makes the battery last longer. Would appreciate more confirmation, should I just let it hit 100%?

just charge it to 100% and enjoy your wheel  your talking about 15000 miles maybe before you see any degradation 

I've heard of people using splitters on their 5a to make it 2x2.5.... again, more info would be appreciated!

I use 5amp  in one port it shouldn't matter as they are linked to the same board inside , I only use 5a charger when really needed  otherwise I use 1.5 or 2.5amp

Thanks guys

3 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Most definitely you should. And let it sit in the charger at least for 30 minutes after the charger turns green. Otherwise you will prevent the designed main battery management functionality from doing its job.

Read at least the section about cell balancing:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tryptych said:

Thanks guys

Charge it fully and get the battery you paid for! Unless storing for a long time, I charge mine to 100% after nearly every ride. Every week or two, I charge to 100% and make sure I leave it to balance for a couple hours after the lights turn green. I typically charge with the lowest setting I can on my rapid chargers. Tho I have quick chargers, I firmly beleive that charging slowly and allowing packs to cool after a ride and after a charge, can't hurt. Altho most battery packs are designed to take high amp charges, I don't see any gains unless I need to make it quick. Charge that baby up and ride it! Mike Sacritan sums it up pretty well. If your battery eventually only lasts the equivalent of an 80% charge, after thousands of miles of 100% charging, what have you lost? You basically gained 20% for those 1000's of miles, where you would have otherwise undercharged. The reality is that unbalanced packs are something to be very mindful of.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Coolesnce said:

For the V11 does anyone know if the battery is at 100% charge and the first part of your ride is downhill how does it handle the regen as to not overcharge or cut off to protect the batteries?

The V11 has of course an over voltage protection like every modern EUC. The limit is at 86.0V, after which it only tilts back and stays there until the voltage is lowered. I don’t know what the catastrophic high cut-off voltage is though, or if there even is one.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mrelwood said:

The V11 has of course an over voltage protection like every modern EUC. The limit is at 86.0V, after which it only tilts back and stays there until the voltage is lowered. I don’t know what the catastrophic high cut-off voltage is though, or if there even is one.

Glad to hear there is a tilt back not just a cut off like the earlier EUCs. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 7:57 AM, Tryptych said:

2.5A max on each port

I think it can be done, but I would like someone to confirm it more, please. Liam doesn't really say that you can't connect 5A to one of the connectors. I'm thinking to buy this https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001414053242.html

I bough the 84v fast charger from eWheels [https://www.ewheels.com/product/ewheels-84-2v-rapid-chargers/].  It allows me to charge up to 80%, 90%, or 100%.  It needed an adapter to fit the v11, but that adapter also fits my v8F.  For the V11, I can use anywhere from 1-5 amps, but for my V8F, they told me not to exceed 3 amps.  Also, you should not use both the quick charger and normal charger at the same time.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 11:38 AM, Halig said:

I think it can be done, but I would like someone to confirm it more, please. Liam doesn't really say that you can't connect 5A to one of the connectors. I'm thinking to buy this https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005001414053242.html

I use 1.5amp , 2amp. And  5 amp (one at a time ofc )depending onthe situation i did but an adapter though so I can use my gotway chargers too

On 12/3/2020 at 12:38 PM, Halig said:

Just build yourself a Y-cable. Charging current will divide (more or less evenly) across both ports, so you'll stay within safe limits :)

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 6:38 AM, Halig said:

I think it can be done, but I would like someone to confirm it more, please.
<connect 5A to only one of the connectors>

Yes that is fine. The connector is GX12-3, and product listings for that connector show a 5A pin current rating.

(Having a second connector on the V11 is handy because it lets you use two stock chargers without buying an additional splitter... but if you have a 5A charger there is no need to split it up into two ports. The two ports are connected together immediately behind their connectors.)

(And, regardless of how you connect the charger(s), you should not recharge V11 higher than 5A total.)

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 3:28 AM, mrelwood said:

Most definitely you should. And let it sit in the charger at least for 30 minutes after the charger turns green. Otherwise you will prevent the designed main battery management functionality from doing its job.

Read at least the section about cell balancing:

Very confused. I've read several places not to fully charge or discharge the wheel. Why all the false info out there?  In fact i bought a quick charger for my KS16 and it specifically stated that charging to 90 percent helps batteries last longer. 

I'm not disagreeing with you just wondering why this 90 percent malarkey is out there. I mean why even have a selector to limit charging to 80 or 90%?

Edited by EUChristian

25 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

That's true for individual cells but we're dealing with a pack of cells that needs to have the same charge i.e. they need to stay balanced so you need to charge the pack to full, imbalance is very bad you don't want that, and in the end the difference in longevity is not that big to begin with.

So in short charging your EUC to less than full is a myth.

Thank you for dispelling for me!