Let's make EUC's popular.

Mr A.A

7 hours ago, winterwheel said:

What IS dorky are scooters.

No grown man should be seen riding any scooter ever.

Nothing better than whizzing buy a group of lame scooters on a power wheel, makes my day every time it happens.

Perhaps we could agree on that.:)

Totally agree!

5 hours ago, winterwheel said:

x2.

Any experienced rider looking dorky on a modern wheel is doing it wrong. Or on purpose.

Totally disagree!

When you think you are fly, buzzing along at 40mph, fully geared up like a super hero on a highway thinking you are some sort of EUC god, dodging potholes like a housefly on speed, and a tweeked moped with two spotty oiks on board both giving you the finger passes you in a cloud of 2-stroke fumes you feel somewhat uncool I feel.

This is the problem. EUC's are not 'fast' and certainly nowhere near as 'macho' as even a sporty mid range motorbike let alone a decent car. The fact we gear up like robocop only makes the facade look like we are trying too hard (we know we are not) but be under no illusion that many members of the public feel that we look like rejects from Billy Smarts circus (minus the squirty flower and flappy shoes).

I love EUC's as much as you do but theres a large percentage of people (we will call them The Uninitiated) who think they are just as dorky as your aforementioned scooters.

Chill out man. The moped example was just that, an example. Too many peeps getting fried brains on here recently.

I dont think I am deluded either but Mrs P is probably best placed to make that decision lol

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I dunno, I get more : that looks cool, than the look of disgust at being a dork.

I don't think people have a look of disgust if they think you are a dork, they will either laugh or smile.

8 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Two people bothered to pull up to me at the light, roll the windows down and tell me how cool it looks. 

I've had that too, along with huge numbers of other very interested people saying how cool it is. I did have a granny once who said 'Well...that's just the height of laziness isn't it' as I floated past slowly. That made me chuckle a bit. But yes, I'm not disagreeing with anyone over how many DO find it cool and non-dorky, I just find it very hard to discount the feelings of 10 or so middle aged guys (a large snapshot of my close friends) and then extrapolate that into the wider population.

8 hours ago, seage said:

I think you summed it up perfectly. No disrespect @Planemo. I was gonna say the same though. It feels more like a personal thing. More like you find it dorky, or feel a slight insecurity about it (im just projecting ideas now tho, so i may be off the mark).

No disrespect taken, and you make a good point. Maybe, subconsciously, my friends comments ARE making me insecure to some extent. I don't think so, but I am open to that possibility. That said, irrespective of any personal insecurity, it still doesn't discount the large percentage of my friends feelings when applying that to the wider community of 40-somethings.

8 hours ago, seage said:

But standing in my neighborhood with a few people and a loud car comes by, looks pretty nice, but is loud af, i see everyones face and they're not happy. 

I totally agree, lots of people get the hump with boy racers, even when they turn into rich, middle aged boy racers and the quality of the cars increases. I'm not sure that's relevant to my simple 'snapshot of the ratio of my middle-aged friends' information though.

I take on board everyones comments, I probably get just as many positive encounters as you guys do and if it wasn't for my close friends comments I would feel exactly the same as you guys. I just think their comments were genuine, honest and down to earth so I find it very hard to not apply that ratio to the general public. It's all good though cos it won't stop any of us riding anyway :)

• Like 1

My hunch is that anyone who think it's dorky is mistaking the EUC for a toy or something to be ridden by a kid.  To them, it probably looks odd to see any grown adult riding on what appears to be a kid's toy.  I've gotten that reaction once that aren't I "too old" to ride it.  I felt sorry for that person.  Another negative reaction is thinking that it is a lazy activity which has some merit but it sure as heck beats driving a car around.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nachos said:

My hunch is that anyone who think it's dorky is mistaking the EUC for a toy or something to be ridden by a kid.  To them, it probably looks odd to see any grown adult riding on what appears to be a kid's toy.  I've gotten that reaction once that aren't I "too old" to ride it.  I felt sorry for that person.  Another negative reaction is thinking that it is a lazy activity which has some merit but it sure as heck beats driving a car around.  

I agree! When I first saw EUC's a few years ago I couldn't help but view them as toys. For me the EUC stereotype originated with popularity of hover boards, which were marketed and popular with kids. At the time EUC's shared the same cheesy flashy LED's lights along with a bluetooth speakers and it just screamed kids toy to me. 

Once I looked further into EUC's I realized that these were serious machines, with some real speed. No doubt this new vehicle commanded balance, practice and respect. The lack of which could and would lead you to serious injuries. With the niche being so small I can clearly understand why the average person might mistake it as a toy which is why I am glad that the newest generation of wheels have done away with the gaudy LED lights. For me it gives them a much more serious appearance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nachos said:

Until they see how fast you go on them 

• Like 3

On 7/8/2020 at 1:26 AM, Mr A.A said:

EUC's have this image of hobbyist/cool but dangerous gadget. The truth is that, it is one of the most portable and energy efficient personal transportation, which has a learning curve less than that of a bicycle.

What can we do to make EUC's more popular and desirable. ? The more interest there is for EUC's, there will be more manufacturers, innovations, lower prices, variety to suit anyone's needs...

I'd argue that it is easier to learn than a bicycle, also it is arguable that popularity will be beneficial.... It takes only 1 picture of crying child with broken arm on facebook for this to become prohibited almost everywhere or extremely regulated...... But nevertheless if you want to make it popular, make an official competition sport out of it. But right now i enjoy it being a niche thing. It is not regulated (because of small numbers) and people did not get annoyed by it yet and you pretty much get thumbs up from everyone you pass.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2020 at 8:12 AM, Mr A.A said:

On the Topic of seeing more innovations for EUC's, Imagine how cool it would be if military used EUC's. Would make an awesome silent patrol machine.

Anyone from our YouTube fame would like to make a video enacting a soldier on EUC ? with camouflage EUC, assault rifle and full military gear ? Marty would be perfect for the role @Marty Backe

Absolutely agree on 1 condition: Each EUC riding soldier should get a standard issue of colorful juggling balls. That will significantly disorient potential enemy to submission.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 2:52 PM, Planemo said:

I love EUC's as much as you do but theres a large percentage of people (we will call them The Uninitiated) who think they are just as dorky as your aforementioned scooters.

Sensible gear + stance paint an overall dorky picture.  Sadly, just as smoking is cool aesthetically, so is being undergeared on an EUC (kinda).   The coolness ship has sailed for me anyway, so I embrace the dorky fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Livingston B said:

Sensible gear + stance paint an overall dorky picture.  Sadly, just as smoking is cool aesthetically, so is being undergeared on an EUC (kinda).   The coolness ship has sailed for me anyway, so I embrace the dorky fun.

That's when you turn on your helmet and get all your Kool points back. :efee6b18f3: :D

IMG_1052_V2F_2020-07-10_20-31-09_665.jpg

5 hours ago, Shield said:

That's when you turn on your helmet and get all your Kool points back. :efee6b18f3: :D

For sure. I have that helmet and have come close to pulling the trigger on a Lightmode kit, but the price is just beyond my impulse buy limit.

Edited by Livingston B
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Livingston B said:

For sure. I have that helmet and have come close to pulling the trigger on a Lightmode kit, but the price is just beyond my impulse buy limit.

The light kits are only about £5? They do look pretty good at night :)

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 1:17 AM, Alj said:

Absolutely agree on 1 condition: Each EUC riding soldier should get a standard issue of colorful juggling balls. That will significantly disorient potential enemy to submission.

The public will never understand that juggling makes it easier to sail the unicycle because you have something to hold on to.

• Like 1

EUC is definitely more cyber punk than mall cop. If anyone think EUC is dorky, show them a video of someone like Chooch Tech ripping through the trails.  Their minds will most likely be blown. 

Edited by Cychotic
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 1:56 PM, Mr A.A said:

Fullycharged show on YouTube has great reach and they are so much into electric transportation

I don't know how this happened :D , just baffled. 

Edited by Mr A.A
emoji

• 3 weeks later...

I´ve been thinking a lot about the topic these days and I came to the theory, that it is the best to make EUCs NOT popular for now. I mainly reference to the situation at my home location in germany, so in other cities and other countries it may differ. But I´m pretty sure, it will not be that much.

And here is why:

As long as EUCs are rare they are exotic. Some may laugh on them others think they are cool. In any case the rider is something unique pedestrians turn they heads for (if they take note of at all) and as long as the rider is the only one, carefully and friendly there will be no need for the puplic to regulate anything. There are only a few that feel disturbed by an EUC (you´ll allways have some grumbler). So all is fine. But imagine if there are many people that want to buy an EUC. But of course most of them are not willing to spent 1000€+ for a thing they see as a childs toy you can simply hopp on. That means you can get cheapy rubbish of "want to be an EUC" in every music store or super market. And for sure with a plenty of unknown new drivers on these shoddy driving through pedestrians you will have much more accidents. The result is, that people turn there heads for you and they say no longer "hey, what´s that cool thing?" but they´ll say "Look! Another reckless idiot who drives right in front of my feet!" (Doesn´t matter if you are 50 meters away, slow and carefully and riding for 10 years. You are one of THEM now.) So - as a consequence there MUST be a rule. That may be EUCs will be forbidden at all, or only on specific areas. Signs that lock us out of parking lots, parks, and all the places we like. All in all I can REALLY not beleve that there will be a law allowing us to speed up more than 20km/h. That would be faster than e scooters (in germany). (And to be honest... who wants to ride so slow?) So what would that mean? The best result it would have to make EUCs more popular is to be disdained by pedestrians, hatet by cyclists (I´m sure some do already) and cussed to drive 20km/h max. To have to have a unsurence, a licence plate and all those stuff. When you drive more than 20km/h you are an outlaw, same situation as we have already. So what are the benefits? The EUC market would grow if there were more customers. Ok. But as I wrote already, would there be such a huge impact of high-class inventions? Do you really miss anything by now? There are already great EUCs in all price categories, speeds, weights, with and without different suspensions and for all uses. And technology still grows rapidly. What to want more?

I wish I am wrong. But I´m a bit afraid things could get worse. 

What is you´re opinion? Do you agree or do you have other experience? 

• Like 3