Let's make EUC's popular.

Mr A.A

EUC's have this image of hobbyist/cool but dangerous gadget. The truth is that, it is one of the most portable and energy efficient personal transportation, which has a learning curve less than that of a bicycle.

What can we do to make EUC's more popular and desirable. ? The more interest there is for EUC's, there will be more manufacturers, innovations, lower prices, variety to suit anyone's needs...

YouTube is a great platform to show off the capabilities of EUC's, and there are some amazing content from the community, but most of them are performance oriented, skill riding which gives an image of adventure/stunt machine, while diminishing the amazing capability for the commuting aspect of EUC's.

Let's push EUC's out there to anyone and everyone we can find. Influencers, tech companies, mobility solutions...

The highlight of the EUC's could be, most energy efficient/portable personal transportation system, anyone can learn to ride one in less than the time it takes to learn riding a bicycle...

shall we find some people, with good audience to bring EUC's in the spotlight ?

Fullycharged show on YouTube has great reach and they are so much into electric transportation, Bosh has some amazing technology supporting Electric Bicycles, Tesla ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

There are also some negatives to popularity. 1: With it comes legislation. Aside from that, 2:I'm not sure all of your claims are entirely accurate.

3:Euc's use batteries that are mined and put back into landfills. They also use electricity. A bicycle doesnt have this issue. 4: I also am not so sure that euc's are easier to ride than a bicycle, and I am damn sure they aren't safer. I think you have valid points, but for life in USA, I just don't see the majority being able to safely use an euc for everyday tasks. The limitations of carrying things is also of issue.

Im on the fence about it. I would like to see the euc remain being developed, but I also am enjoying the niche' it lives in. I laugh each time I hear someone claim that 'anyone can ride it', or that its 'really easy'. Even currently manufactured eucs are already coming out to go insane speeds AND with suspensions. I think eucs ARE slowly getting out there, and at least enough that WE ARE seeing developments. Unfortunately we are seeing both good and bad publicity. I do think the euc will continue to gain popularity, but I also think that something else will fill the general public's need for easy transport, in general.

I think there are people out there already, that are trying to push the euc to the masses in a way you describe. I applaud their efforts, but I do think that how eucs are received is VERY region based. I unwittingly promote eucs, everytime I ride, we all do. I mean not to damper your spirits at all, I just think that you are making VERY bold claims  about eucs.

1: There should be regulations, Because we can't assume everyone is competent enough to take the safety of themselves and others around them seriously, just because they are an EUC rider, Regulations are going to happen sooner or later.

2: Guilty as charged, I added a lot of salt, Because I want to see innovations so badly in this field.

3: We don't know much about recycling batteries other than the stories media told us, This might change some part of that view 

About the efficiency of Bicycle vs EUC's please refer this thread 

4: I didn't say EUC's are easier to ride, It's easier to learn than a bicycle, (data from google with my obviously biased views) ps. I am avid cyclist, not riding anymore because its a death wish, considering the other people whom I share the roads with where I live. Even though I can buy one, not getting an EUC for the same reason until I move out of here.

Obviously I am a very Biased person towards EUC's, I love them so much, even without seeing one, in person.

On the Topic of seeing more innovations for EUC's, Imagine how cool it would be if military used EUC's. Would make an awesome silent patrol machine.

Anyone from our YouTube fame would like to make a video enacting a soldier on EUC ? with camouflage EUC, assault rifle and full military gear ? Marty would be perfect for the role @Marty Backe

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Regulations dont mean anything will be safer, it just means it will cost more and someone else will get to try to make decisions for you. Regulate, regulate regulate, worse words are hardly ever spoken. Regulation and licensing doesnt prove a person is capable nor does it ensure people will act safely or responsibly. Ability doesnt transfer to maturity either. Look at the skill level of the NYC crew.... their skill doesnt ensure public safety whatsoever, and ALL of them could pass a riding test. Once they regulate and enforce it on eucs, I will quickly liquidate mine and go back to my motorcycle and bicycle. Or just pay tickets and be a criminal. Regulation will put a serious slow down on future developments, as we ALL know how politics like to slow things to a crawl.

I know first hand what happens to li-ion and other batteries... They end up in my local landfill.... period.

Google doesnt know shit, a bicycle is both easier to learn, easier to ride and safer. Not much fire hazard and bikes dont power themselves down the street.

1:Military on euc? So you're going to promote the image of weaponry on an euc? I thought about practice shooting from my euc, but then decided it may be a horrible combo and portray a terrible image.

Euc's use electricity, human bodies use food(yeah yeah i know, but you get the gist). I dont think its fair to compare bicycles to euc as far as efficiency, as we have to eat no matter what. We dont have to plug ourselves into a wall outlet tho.

Marty already looks like a damn soldier when he rides :) 2:What exactly is an "assault rifle'? Im familiar with tactical, rifles. Not sure we should be introducing that into this sport already. Seems like we already have non lethal confrontations on a regular basis.

You could definitely help promote the world of eucs, get out you wallet, empty it.  Once its full again, send more of it to china. You want to get euc accepted, I guess you have to grease the palms of your local politicians? I'm amazed at your excitement and bias ALREADY. I can only imagine wtf is gna happen when you finally learn to ride one. YOU may be the spokesperson, the position is still open and waiting...  You MAY have to figure out how the fact that YOU find it too dangerous to ride bikes or eucs in your current situation, can be mitigated. This admittance somewhat undermines your arguments.

I know Im a negative Nancy, but be prepared, as any sweeping changes will be met with much more negativity, its just part of what will have to be overcome.

Regulations will happen when the community grows, It won't help EUC's but they won't be in a grey area, so it might help someone to face right law if an accident happens and not some made up laws on the spot.

1: Military has the biggest budget and will bring out lots of innovations, selfish wish though.

2: Here's the read on Assault rifles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assault_rifles

The only EUC that I almost put my money on is Gotway Mten3, Might buy one if Veteran brings out a competition for Mten3 (Don't know the repercussions from law when I ride it here) and politics doesn't work like that here.

I never want to a spokesperson to anything, I like my solitude, Don't have any social media presence, no YouTube subscriptions, but spending majority of my time here, everyday.

I live in a place almost the size of Switzerland, but with a population similar to Uzbekistan or Morocco. A place where one can get away from drunk driving, hit and run. So Yes I fear for my life even when I ride a bicycle through here. Moving to someplace else is not that easy in my situation.

But I love these goddamn things and I know its gonna take away so much time of my life. And I am biased and selfish for seeing EUC's improve.

• Like 1

I also doubt EUCs have the potential to be as popular as their closest competitors, escooters and electric bicycles. But the fact that there is a considerable amount of skill (and some danger) involved when riding them might perhaps appeal to a considerable subset of e-vehicle buyers?

I get the impression they are considered «uncool» or dorky by many (most?) people at the moment, so hopefully that will change.

Anyone who can walk can sail an electric unicycle.

And a fair number of them rent e-bikes by the minute in major cities and whiz around at 30 mph with no helmet.  You can't tell me these people aren't crazy enough to try a unicycle.

So it's mainly a question of logistics.

Experts believe the economic model of the public e-bikes may also be the right model for large-scale electric unicycle adoption.  Heretofore, the primary holdup has been a risk of shrinkage (theft).  However, lately initial news of the Veteran at something like 75 kg has brightened hopes.  With a firmware governor limiting travel to 15 km/h, it would be as if tailor-made to join Lime and Jump bikes and scooters on every sidewalk in the nation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kai Drange said:

I get the impression they are considered «uncool» or dorky by many (most?) people at the moment, so hopefully that will change.

Totally not the case in my neck of the woods. Throw on some cool shades and ride a fast wheel down the street at 40km/hr and dorky is the last thing that comes to mind; more often it's holy s*** what is that thing.

----

There are two roadblocks here to large scale adoption.

1. it's a novelty. Joe and Jane Public are not seeking the attention that comes with being an early adopter and potentially having family and friends mock them if it doesn't work out. 
2. the need to gamble around $2k on a mail order product without knowing if it will work out or not.

We're all helping to knock down #1 by simply riding around and being visible. When I started when 99% of people hadn't seen anyone riding a wheel; today it's unusual to find someone who hasn't seen one. 

#2 takes more effort. After lots of experimenting, the model that seems to be working here at least is to teach folks on an MTen3 (easiest for novices to have success with, cute wheel to ride, not scary) and rent them a modest wheel (14D, 16S, V8) for them to have on their own for a week. In quite a high percentage of cases I'm finding that people have ordered their own wheels by the time I get the rental back.

Mileage may vary of course, but this is what seems to be working here.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 2

Shared e-bikes aren't all that environmentally friendly and are actually super expensive to use every day for example, to commute. Great for occasional use, but not as an every day tool.

Regular bikes are the best environmental option but it's a big time hassle to keep them from getting stolen, and not too many people have the option to take a shower between the time they get off the bike and sit down at their desk.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2020 at 11:12 AM, Mr A.A said:

4: I didn't say EUC's are easier to ride, It's easier to learn than a bicycle, (data from google with my obviously biased views) ps. I am avid cyclist, not riding anymore because its a death wish, considering the other people whom I share the roads with where I live. Even though I can buy one, not getting an EUC for the same reason until I move out of here.

Sorry, they are not easier to learn than a bicycle. They do not have the efficiency of a bicycle either.  Sorry your information is just crap. you need to go back to do some honest research if you want to help your cause.

6 hours ago, FreeRide said:

Sorry, they are not easier to learn than a bicycle. They do not have the efficiency of a bicycle either.  Sorry your information is just crap. you need to go back to do some honest research if you want to help your cause.

I haven't found any solid data on the time it takes to learn a Bicycle or EUC, both have vague figures from half an hour to couple of weeks. On the efficiency part, my data is from this thread  

13 hours ago, Toad said:

Anyone who can walk can sail an electric unicycle.

And a fair number of them rent e-bikes by the minute in major cities and whiz around at 30 mph with no helmet.  You can't tell me these people aren't crazy enough to try a unicycle.

Total and complete bullshit! Im sorry to be so harsh, but you are perpetuating a complete lie. My grandma could walk. She also broke a damn hip with a simple fall. My father in law can walk, can't even hardly manage a shopping cart. My wife can walk, hasnt even the balance needed to safely ride a bicycle or even STAND on a skateboard. DO NOT make statements like this. The marketing companies all tell us shit is easy, just to sell it. People in favor of the devices, perpetuate the lie of how easy it is, while mitigating the OBVIOUS dangers involved. Riding an euc is NOT perfectly easy for a LOT of people. Please don't undermine the time, effort, dedication and skill it takes to learn to safely operate an euc on roadways or sidewalks among people. Maybe it was VERY easy for you, but it is NOT simple. I do not see the masses learning to ride the euc because its as easy as walking. Im a biker, skater, flyer, snowboarder and I've 500 miles on an euc. Even NOW, it still have to focus and easily find myself in danger or pushing past ability. Its so damn easy, even seasoned riders take a fall, when NOTHING fails and NO road hazard cause it... yeah, easy and safe.

Yes, e-bikes get rented to people that have no business being on them. E-bikes are also responsible for many many injuries, as the unsuspecting public is led to believe they are truly simple. Even tho simpler than an euc, they are still not as easy as walking. Combine that with congested places and confusing traffic patterns, people get hurt a LOT. Just because someone is crazy enough to try anything, doesnt mean they are going to be successful at it, or safe. I try stupid shit all the time. Most of the things that are above my ability, wind up in failure or injury. Typically I get up and try again. You can't assure me that people of all ages and physical condition, are as likely to heal and get over it, as those of us who lived that kind of life and are still 'young' of body.

@Mr A.A Do you know if that energy chart is also adding the energy your body uses while micromanaging an euc, or is it JUST the energy of the euc? You do know that a bicycle operates on human energy alone, while an euc uses both human AND battery energy :). Even with a full battery, your euc can't make up for the energy used in thought, breathing, bending, leaning, sweating, etc. . What about the resources and energy to make and maintain an euc vs bike? As a kid, i recall bikes getting beaten for years with minimal upkeep or wasteful use of replacing parts.  I think the euc is downright awesome, but i also think its not ready for basic mainstream travel. I can't wait to see what comes next, but i do hope the euc doesnt become such a legal pita, that I too, move to the next thing.

total bullshit estimates on 5 entire minutes of research.:smartass:

Walking @5mph = 320calories per 5miles/1hr  .37 watt

Standing@0mph=180calories per 0mi/1hr        .20 watt

Bicycle@11mph=430calories per 11mi/1hr       .50 watt

I have NO idea what an euc uses per hour at 11mph, but we can add 200+ calories or so to it, as riding an euc includes effort beyond standing but maybe below walking. So, for an euc to beat a bicycle, it would have to operate on less than .20 or so watts, per 1 hr @11mph. This is all guesses, as so many factors are involved. Weight, terrain, wind speed, motor efficiency, body efficiency, etc. .   Im SURE theres a thread around here about it, but its just so many variables, Im not sure ANY of us can make a perfect conclusion. This all assumes that we even think of efficiency in terms of electricity. I'm just a hack here, so maybe it IS simple but still beyond me. Electricity, how efficient is it really? It too comes at a cost, as does having to eat. Evaluating those differences and add them in to the math? Digging coal for electricity or digging weeds for food? My damn head hurts..:barf:

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Mr A. A, I notice that your signature states that you do not own a EUC. It would be wise for you to invest in a EUC, or two,  and experience "the current state"  before calling for widespread acceptance and regulation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gon2fast said:

Mr A. A, I notice that your signature states that you do not own a EUC. It would be wise for you to invest in a EUC, or two,  and experience "the current state"  before calling for widespread acceptance and regulation. 

I have stated in above posts why I am not Buying an EUC now. You might have missed it

On 7/8/2020 at 8:42 PM, Mr A.A said:

I didn't say EUC's are easier to ride, It's easier to learn than a bicycle, (data from google with my obviously biased views) ps. I am avid cyclist, not riding anymore because its a death wish, considering the other people whom I share the roads with where I live. Even though I can buy one, not getting an EUC for the same reason until I move out of here.

On 7/9/2020 at 10:09 AM, Mr A.A said:

The only EUC that I almost put my money on is Gotway Mten3, Might buy one if Veteran brings out a competition for Mten3 (Don't know the repercussions from law when I ride it here) and politics doesn't work like that here.

On 7/9/2020 at 10:09 AM, Mr A.A said:

I live in a place almost the size of Switzerland, but with a population similar to Uzbekistan or Morocco. A place where one can get away from drunk driving, hit and run. So Yes I fear for my life even when I ride a bicycle through here. Moving to someplace else is not that easy in my situation.

I wish to move somewhere close to nature, where EUC's are legal without being in grey area.

Current Law states "Vehicles with below 250W and speed less than 25 km/h, do not require certification, and riders are not required to obtain a licence to drive, to carry insurance, or to wear a helmet."  "Electric Vehicles, which have power less than 250 W and speed less than 25 kmph are not categorized as motor vehicles. Hence the transport rules are not applicable for such exempt category vehicles."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, winterwheel said:
16 hours ago, Kai Drange said:

Totally not the case in my neck of the woods. Throw on some cool shades and ride a fast wheel down the street at 40km/hr and dorky is the last thing that comes to mind; more often it's holy s*** what is that thing.

Yeah, things might be different in different areas. Or it might just be that the kind of people I have as friends have that reaction. Probably because of the association to the two-wheeled Segways and hoverboards, that both (at least in my area) are considered a bit of a joke.

Personally I DO think EUCs look silly, but they are so much fun that I don’t care. Hopefully opinions will change once people have gotten used to seeing them around.

2 hours ago, Planemo said:

Every single one of my long term friends has told me that EUC's are dorky. None of them have the slightest interest in learning/getting one either. However, when out riding, I get LOTS of 'wow' and 'that's amazing' comments. Maybe the (many more) people that don't comment think it's dorky, going by the ratio of people that know me and are open to me all say the same...

As you say, I don't care personally, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to assume that the majority of joe public think they are cool, based on what is essentially a very small representation of what you are fed when out riding. I also think theres a lot more people who actively dislike EUC's than we believe.

It seems you're allowing yourself to be gaslighted by your friends - rationalizing that it is dorky because they are telling you that it is, even when the objective evidence from strangers leads to the opposite conclusion.

It's often the case that friends (and spouses, often) don't like friends to extend themselves in ways they are afraid to go themselves. For good reason I suppose, most of my closest friends are now wheelers, just because we hang out a lot, much more than I ever did with older friends. My closest older friends these days are reconciled to the fact that they will get to / have to learn eventually but they have the same problem -- their friends and spouses apply the same pressure to them.

I think this is really the reason I spend so much effort to normalize it.

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, winterwheel said:

It seems you're allowing yourself to be gaslighted by your friends - rationalizing that it is dorky because they are telling you that it is, even when the objective evidence from strangers leads to the opposite conclusion.

I respect your point, but I would have to disagree. My 'old' friends are similar to myself, with similar ex and current hobbies and the wherewithal to buy far more wheels than I can if they wanted to. They speak their mind, as all good friends do, and I don't doubt their feelings whatsoever. I am positive that if they wanted to give it a go they would, and aren't saying it's not their thing just to give me a ribbing or whatever. They just find EUC's dorky, and cant find a purpose for them in their lives, end of.

The objective evidence from strangers that you refer to is not, IMO, objective at all when you consider the sheer amount of people I ride past Vs the amount of people that actually indicate or say anything positive. I think we as riders get clouded by the fact that we get a (relatively) large amount good attention and think everyone feels the same but we have to remember we are riding EUC's not bicycles so we are always going to attract more attention by default. But you have your views and that's cool, I am just saying that I don't think the percentage of the general public that adore EUC's is as high as you imagine. I do think it's great that we do get a lot of positive attention to this 'new' transportation though (compared to riding bicycles).

• Like 1

What IS dorky are scooters.

No grown man should be seen riding any scooter ever.

Nothing better than whizzing buy a group of lame scooters on a power wheel, makes my day every time it happens.

Perhaps we could agree on that.:)

Edited by winterwheel
  • Like 1

I think it is the same as all vehicels. Lets have a look on motorbikes. Some hate them, some don´t care about them and some couldn´t live without riding every day. Humans are different and that´s good. The point is if it would be good for us to have more popularity. I guess some people would probably know more about eucs and the riders and for sure there would be some more riders around. But there would be although a biger demand for regulations. And I fear such a regulation by the law would not be as we wish it to be. It is more likely that eucs would be forbidden at all, only allowed on areas nobody wants to ride and / or a speed limit to something you rather would walk than have fun on a euc. So, it would be great to be more popular and have regulations to finally drive legaly. But I don´t think this will get real satisfying for us riders. For that reason I rather ride illegal than absolutely illegal ^^.

• Like 1