Tour de West Coast Finland - 1000+ km road trip on EUCs. Tour blog.

UniVehje

Any questions?

What would you like to know about our trip, wheels, gear, budget, range, charging, accommodation, physical condition, clothing, weather or something else? Please reply to this thread and ask anything. We’ll make a Q&A post soon. :) 

Edited by HelRider
Grammar

@HelRider, @UniVehje - you made a wise decision to make a short daily distances. For sure this allows you to benefit from all the beauty places visited along your expedition route. I wish you good weather, safe and pleasant ride :thumbup:

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Here are the pictures that were supposed to be included in the daily reports.

Wonderful! Words are good, but these pics make your story alive!

36 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

The videos will take some more time. 

Man, I can imagine the joy of preparing any decent video with a cellphone :facepalm: (but we are still waiting for those, too) :w00t2:

-Z-

• Like 2

Do you guys have a YouTube channel ?  Pictures looks awesome looking forward for more, 

Do you have pics of all the gear and contents of the Backpack, anything you miss having on the trip, anything that you wish that you haven't brought along ?

• Like 3

On 7/6/2020 at 10:55 AM, HelRider said:

Any questions?

What would you like to know about our trip, wheels, gear, budget, range, charging, accommodation, physical condition, clothing, weather or something else? Please reply to this thread and ask anything. We’ll make a Q&A post soon. :) 

What gear do you think is necessary or to put it in another way, are you carrying something you regret taking with you, or something you wished you had taken but didn't. I guess something rain proof would be nice and shoes that dry fast -Wellingtons are prolly not optimal riding shoes

Edited by Ziiten
  • Like 2

Day 9, July 6: Åminne — Vaasa

It rained the whole night, but in the morning it finally stopped. It was cloudy and chilly, but that’s OK.

2QdKPTr.jpg

Usually we try to leave quite early (but not too early if not necessary), but this time we had plenty of time. We were going to visit my friend in Sundom at noon and had only 10 km to ride. We took a short cut that ended up being not so short, because of a bumpy gravel road. :D Well OK, it was shorter in distance but not in riding time.

uaWS92V.jpg

On the way to my friend’s we saw an interesting place: an ancient meteor crater site Meteoria that had an observatory, museum and birdwatching tower. Unfortunately we didn’t have time to visit the place. We’ll definitely pay a visit when we come to Vaasa next time.

4uliJx0.jpg

Soon we were in Sundom. I was happy to see my friend and her family after a long time! We had lunch and @UniVehje recruited a new EUC-rider. :D My friend’s husband was really excited about the wheels and wanted to give it a try. So he and their 10-year-old daughter tried my V10F. I’m sure they will learn super quick if they get a wheel of their own. :) 

After the visit we rode about 8 kms to Vaasa. We had booked a nice AirBnB-apartment in the city centre for two nights. On our way there we saw an abandoned amusement park, Wasalandia. For some reason abandoned amusement parks feel very creepy to me. :D It would be fun to sneak in there, anyway. Well, maybe next time. ;) 

dPNcX3V.jpg

Tomorrow we’ll have the second day-off of the trip. We’re going to go shopping and visiting museums. :) 

• Kilometers ridden today: 20
  • Kilometers ridden in total: 549
  • Riding hours today: 1,5
  • Riding hours in total: 30
  • Like 3

I leave my wheel outside like a bicycle when I go to do shopping, etc, and I'm not locking it. I'm thinking it's unlikely to be stolen because of its heft and, besides, most people don't even know what it is let alone know how to ride it (of course that doesn't stop people taking something that doesn't belong to them, but you'd really need a car to carry it unless you know how to ride it)

Edited by Ziiten

First mishap of the trip: my wheel won’t start. :efee96588e: We are now stuck in Pietarsaari. @UniVehje went to buy some tools to open the wheel. Let’s hope it’s just because of the rain yesterday and the wheel needs to dry properly. Or it needs to reboot.

Looks like the V10F board just died. The wheel won’t power on properly. The board is on, can connect to bluetooth and cannot be turned off. But the wheel won’t balance. I tried disconnecting the power and hold the power button and everything else. No luck. 

It very much looks like this journey has come to an end because of wheel failure. :(

41 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

It very much looks like this journey has come to an end because of wheel failure. :(

Such a shame! Do you reckon it's linked to the rain, or is it just plain bad luck?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Looks like the V10F board just died. The wheel won’t power on properly. The board is on, can connect to bluetooth and cannot be turned off. But the wheel won’t balance. I tried disconnecting the power and hold the power button and everything else. No luck. 

That's too bad, you were almost getting close to Hailuoto already. Lucky still the board didn't die while riding and possibly cause serious injuries.

• Like 2