Tour de West Coast Finland - 1000+ km road trip on EUCs. Tour blog.

UniVehje

18 hours ago, mike_bike_kite said:

Can you try using a hair drier around the switches? It sounds like there's damp in there that's shorting out the switch (I'm guessing here). If it does start working then use clingfilm or tape to cover the switches in the rain.

Your guess was probably correct. It just took a night of drying and it recovered. We already had made all the preparations to ship it back home and continue with a rental e-bike. These preparations and and all the hassle were quite an ordeal yesterday. But luckily we will continue anyway. Shame we missed seeing two nice towns and the museums. 
The V10F will now have the rain cover every time it rains. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

The V10F will now have the rain cover every time it rains. 

Raincover may not be sufficient. Lot of water ingress comes from riding over the wet roads and puddles. Just avoid riding in rain and even shallow puddles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HelRider said:

Tomorrow we’ll have the third day off of the trip. No riding, just walking on the beach. Hope it’ll be a nice weather!

Great post, thanks for taking the time to upload pics I know how tedious it is! But it's worth it, it really adds to your descriptions and livens up the post!

Enjoy your rest by the sea, you guys must need it after the stress of the (temporary) wheel failure, finding tools, trying to fix it, finding an ebike, taxis up and down, etc. I hope you have good weather! 

• Like 3

Wow, what gorgeous places, @HelRider and @UniVehje !!! I've added all of them to my Want to go list on Google Maps (thanks for adding the links! I've manually searched for the others) :thumbup:

I was actually planning on going to Scandinavia with my motorhome this summer, to get away from the Spanish heat, but for the same reasons as you, it's going to have to be a domestic trip. But that will give me more time to plan my trip for next year! 

Looks like you're getting luckier with the weather---even when it does rain, you manage to find shelter before it catches you! I'm sure the V10F is thankful! ;)

BTW, those stops to stretch make a world of difference, I agree! I found that helped enormously on a recent expedition I did too. 

Keep the posts coming, you're making me all the more excited for next year's trip! And enjoy the last stretch of your trip!

P.S. The links to the videos you posted are broken :( 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Keep the posts coming, you're making me all the more excited for next year's trip! And enjoy the last stretch of your trip!

P.S. The links to the videos you posted are broken :( 

Thanks! 😊 Hope you’ll have a nice holiday too. And perhaps next summer you’ll come here? 

Yeah, sometimes videos linked from Imgur don’t work, sometimes they do. It’s annoying. :( 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Yeah, that would be awesome! I'd love to follow the EuroVelo routes: find nice places to park, go exploring on my wheel, following the bike routes, then return to sleep in the RV. I'd have a low daily average like this because I'd be doing maybe 30-50 km in one direction, then returning back to the motorhome (if only I had the money to hire a chauffeur to drive my RV to the next destination...😂) and it would take quite a while, but sleeping every night in the RV would make the trip much cheaper, and as a digital freelancer I could I could work a few hours here and there and extend the trip as long as possible. The sooner I start planning it the better... :D

That sounds like an awesome plan! 👍🏻 If and when you’ll do it, will you write a travel blog or vlog?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

But your trip, as well as @Seba's (and Monsieur Flex's!), are inspiring me! Even if not in one single, long trip, I do plan on doing all of Europe on my wheel at some point! And then the world! And if technology keeps advancing as it is, hopefully also outer space! :efee612b4b:

So really, thanks for sharing and for the inspiration! I'm really enjoying following your expedition! 

Wow, now that’s a plan! 👍🏻 Maybe not doable in one single trip, but definitely on a longer term. Awesome!

It’s really nice to hear that you have enjoyed my posts. We started this thread not just to keep a journal for ourselves, but also to inspire other riders. This is a really fun way to travel! I recommend every rider to go and explore. If not a longer trip, maybe weekend trips. I’m sure you’ll love it. ❤️

P.S. The Q&A post is coming soon. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, travsformation said:

This is my dream route:

Hey, you're skipping Belgium! I feel left out :P
But awesome plan! 

Nice to see you include Orkney! And if it's summertime when you're on the Norwegian coast, you could pop over to Svalbard, it'd be fun to ride a wheel there!

My little brother did a trip around the world on his bicycle, which was amazing and ever since I got a wheel I just dream of doing the same on an EUC.  If my job and relationship didn't come first I probably would (try at least).

P.S. Sorry for going off-topic @HelRider and @UniVehje! I've been enjoying reading about your trip. Finland is one of the few European countries I've never been to and it's nice to get to see a little bit this way. :) 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, HelRider said:

Next time I’m going to pack even less clothes and wash them more often.

The optimal solution for multi-day trips is to have three sets of underwear (T-shirt, panties and socks) with you. One set worn at the time on the body, the other two in the backpack - one dirty or just washed but not yet dried and one spare. Both in a separate plastic bags.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Seba said:

The optimal solution for multi-day trips is to have three sets of underwear (T-shirt, panties and socks) with you. One set worn at the time on the body, the other two in the backpack - one dirty or just washed but not yet dried and one spare. Both in a separate plastic bags.

I agree. Now I have four of everything. It’s not about the space, but the washing. It’s so much easier to wash (and dry!) one T-shirt, one pair of socks and one pair of panties at a time than two or three.

• Like 2