Beginner. EUC slow on grass. Can't pickup speed to balance?

I just picked up a used inmotion v8 yesterday. The v8 has some minor scratches but overall in pretty good shape.  I don't want to scratch it up further so I am planning to either buy the official v8 neoprene cover ($55 is expensive! Put all my budget into getting the EUC already...) or put on the baby proof foam protection (probably buy from amazon for faster delivery).  But I am too excited to get started so I slapped on thick foam tape lying around and went out to practice.  I ski/snowboard and was a pretty fast learner when I started.  However, EUC is hard!  I think one thing holding me back is fear of scratching the v8 before I properly put protection on it (I also can't find my snowboard wristpads, knee pads after cleaning the basement.  So I was a little concerned about not having those 2 areas protected. Was wearing a helmet and motorcycle jacket w/ some armor today).  I decided to go to a highschool track & field area.  I started off riding on grass along a fence.  I notice the v8 is slow on grass and I feel like I am pressing pretty hard on my toes (also leaning forward).  The grass is not sports field short but not high either.  IS THAT NORMAL? So I guess it is not a good idea to practice on grass? I figured I would ride on grass since grass cushions the EUC when it falls on it (I also see ppl on youtube starting on grass).

I also paired the v8 to the phone app and I set the speed to 14 miles and hr.  I am also sure the v8 is working properly because the previous owner demoed it in front of me and when i lifted it up without pressing the handle button, the wheel spun pretty fast.  Next I tried riding on a single lane rubber track where ppl do long jump (doesn't seem to damage the EUC when it's dropped on the rubber surface. But no fence next to the rubber track...).  I always start off with my right foot on the v8 then lift my left foot onto the left pedal.  But when both feet are on the v8, I am not moving forward much so I lose balance.  I tried kicking the EUC (kind of like electric scooters needing a push first to accelerate) then getting my left foot on the EUC but I can never stay on long (partly because the rubber track is too narrow).  I am going to get up early and head to the big running track when no one is around to see if I can learn to balance in a bigger space.  I also tried tying a belt to the v8 handle to better catch the v8 when I lose balance and jump off.  But the belt seem to press the handle button when I am holding onto the belt and getting on the EUC.  Anybody else ran into that problem? Anyways, i think this is going to take weeks lol but can't wait for when I can finally ride it!

Edited by idpseudonymous
  • Like 2

The belt prevents you from doing the body movements you need to do to balance on the wheel, so best to lose the belt.

A common beginner mistake is to stand too far back, which makes acceleration difficult. Sounds like you could have the same issue. Level the back of your shoe with the back of the pedals, so that your heel is at the same distance from the pedal edge as your balls off the feet are from the front edge.

• Like 3

Grass is way harder to learn on and hard to see the surface underneath. Find a parking lot or a big open concrete or bitumen  area and then u don't have to worry about crashing into anything. Pad the wheel up and gear urself up and then its practice and more practice.

• Like 1

I see no issue with learning on grass. One of the most important skills we need is to be able to position ourselves for unexpected terrain changes. I think that is a skill that should be in place before hitting the streets/trails.There is minimal damage to the wheel when crashing on grass as well. That is just my opinion, lol.

• Like 1

I spent my first 2-3 hours in the yard. It was tough, as my yard is soft, but it allowed me to fall and roll out of bad slow speed tumbles. I didnt use a tether or fence or pole. I just kept trying and trying. Eventually I could roll across the yard (its sideways angled too). Once I had enough courage and a rollNZ cover, I went from grass onto asphalt. Learning on the grass made the asphalt a piece of cake. I think the excessive force needed to roll in grass, accelerated my ability to do the same, once I went to pavement. I ride streets and gravel and yards now. Im not good at ANY of it, but I dont think it matters what you learn on. Whatever you feel comfy doing and wherever, thats where you begin. Screw worrying about a natural progression, in the beginning you want gratification before injury. However you can get there faster, the better. I think the key is to barely get the hang of it, before you lose interest or get hurt. Once you cross that point and get a tiny taste of what it COULD be like, you are hooked and you'll be eyeballing your next wheel...and the next... and the next... and the... you get the point.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Daley1 said:

Grass is way harder to learn on and hard to see the surface underneath. Find a parking lot or a big open concrete or bitumen  area and then u don't have to worry about crashing into anything. Pad the wheel up and gear urself up and then its practice and more practice.

From what I've learned from this forum is that their is a wide variety of ways people learn to ride EUC's. There are a lot of different body types and minds learning to ride a variety of wheels. People seem to end up finding what works for them just through the process of trying. Some start with the mounting, some start with the riding and add in the mounting a little later ..... and so on.

But for me, I'll second what @Daley1 says. I think the best way to learn is to get rolling and practicing so the muscle memory can start developing, along with the EUC muscle conditioning which is a key thing. Hard surface lets that happen easier.

I'm at 5 and a half months of wheel time. I tried grass as soon as I could ride hard surface, but did not do well. It felt to twitchy and unsure; a bit unnerving. However, I always had an eye toward getting grass time and would try some a little at a time, and keep adding a little more, but the main focus was on hard surface. Today, I took the 16X back to where I tried grass and did not do well. I was riding all over those grass fields and gravel drives like it was nothing.

Once we have our EUC muscles firmed up and firmly in control of the wheel, and the muscle memory taking care of things, the grass riding (gravel, some mud etc.) just comes naturally.

This is all just some newbie's opinion. I can't be held responsible for the content of this message! :efee8319ab: 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I spent my first 2-3 hours in the yard. It was tough, as my yard is soft, but it allowed me to fall and roll out of bad slow speed tumbles. I didnt use a tether or fence or pole. I just kept trying and trying. Eventually I could roll across the yard (its sideways angled too). Once I had enough courage and a rollNZ cover, I went from grass onto asphalt. Learning on the grass made the asphalt a piece of cake. I think the excessive force needed to roll in grass, accelerated my ability to do the same, once I went to pavement. I ride streets and gravel and yards now. Im not good at ANY of it, but I dont think it matters what you learn on. Whatever you feel comfy doing and wherever, thats where you begin. Screw worrying about a natural progression, in the beginning you want gratification before injury. However you can get there faster, the better. I think the key is to barely get the hang of it, before you lose interest or get hurt. Once you cross that point and get a tiny taste of what it COULD be like, you are hooked and you'll be eyeballing your next wheel...and the next... and the next... and the... you get the point.

Can I agree to every word of this, except the red stuff? :)

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.  I got good news.  Had time yesterday to practice. I was finally able to ride for a bit on grass but I wasn't able to sustain on grass for long.  It was like trying to stay on a bull lol.  Grass wasn't short like a real soccer field so there were a lot of dips where I would get caught and lose balance.  Pretty much the landscape was dictating where I go (a bump will cause me to turn). Before I had to head home, I decided to risk on asphalt (figured I can jump off in time to catch the EUC before it falls on asphalt) I guess it was good I started on grass because I was able to immediately ride on asphalt with control!  Also ordered a v8 cover off ebay (i hope its the official cover or at least a good enough knockoff and that it will arrive in 2-3 weeks from china).  Both of my calf area has slight minor bruises so I also need the cover cushioning for comfort (I was clamping tightly for dear life on grass.  a lot more relaxed on asphalt haha).  I just wrapped the EUC up with a bunch of styrofoam and tape to get it ready for more riding over the weekend!

Edited by idpseudonymous
  • Like 3

Great news! The tender legs are part of our initiation! Don't fret, it will go away and be a distant memory. I too was astounded when I went from softer grass to a road. Once you get over the newness of the wheel and it takes a hit or two, youll love it even more. A cover is a great idea! Enjoy the weekend and check out the data logging apps if you are so inclined. Fwiw, you are probably already doomed with the sickness.... more euc's and tales to follow!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, idpseudonymous said:

Both of my calf area has slight minor bruises .....

You should try shin guards.  This one is easily swiveled to the inside of your calf.  They also help with control of the wheel.

Shadow Invisa-Lite Shin Guards

Bruce

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 10:41 PM, PennBruce said:

You should try shin guards.  This one is easily swiveled to the inside of your calf.  They also help with control of the wheel.

Shadow Invisa-Lite Shin Guards

Bruce

Thanks for the recommendation.  I wrapped the EUC up with foam while I wait for the cover. I been riding whenever I have a chance. Love it! Already able to navigate narrow paths but still need to improve not wobbling as much when turning or at low speeds.

• 5 months later...

Good thread.  I started with my V8f on grass. I did this because I have a couple of paddocks at home which are reasonably smooth, but have a few undulations. I had decided to start by first learning to get on the wheel without a post or fence, leaning the wheel against the leg and then a slight push, and step on. I did this because I thought that if I could master the self start, it would give me more options. After a week of spending about 30 mins paddock time a day, I was able to get the hang of it. Starting, stopping, tight and shallow turns in both directions and figure of eights ( much to the amusement of the heard of alpaca watching!). Grass is probably more difficult to ride on to start with, but I figured that if I could get a good grip of the basics on a slightly bumpy grass surface, tarmac would be easy afterwards. The main thing is to enjoy yourself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nostris said:

Good thread.  I started with my V8f on grass. I did this because I have a couple of paddocks at home which are reasonably smooth, but have a few undulations. I had decided to start by first learning to get on the wheel without a post or fence, leaning the wheel against the leg and then a slight push, and step on. I did this because I thought that if I could master the self start, it would give me more options. After a week of spending about 30 mins paddock time a day, I was able to get the hang of it. Starting, stopping, tight and shallow turns in both directions and figure of eights ( much to the amusement of the heard of alpaca watching!). Grass is probably more difficult to ride on to start with, but I figured that if I could get a good grip of the basics on a slightly bumpy grass surface, tarmac would be easy afterwards. The main thing is to enjoy yourself. 

And once you brave the pavement it will seem WAY easier. I learned just as you have, in grass, 30mins a day. Give it a week or less and then take that chance! Grats on the new hobby!

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 2 weeks later...

I’m in the pad-the-head-and-body (first and foremost), pad-the-wheel and go straight to hard surfaces camp. Starting out it’s super hard keeping your balance at all, why add an unpredictable uneven surface right off the bat? And if you’re not moving with at least some pace, it’s even more difficult to balance. The benefit of learning on grass is that short term your balance will be way better than it would be learning on pavement, once you get the hang of it. For me, it was important, exciting and personally satisfying to at least be able to go a little bit—wobbling and veering and flailing looking like an absolute fool for even a few meters proved to me that taming the beast wasn’t going to be impossible after all. And once I did get moving, progress came surprisingly quickly, I believe I’d have been a much slower learner on grass.

Edited by Tawpie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started off going back and forth on my driveway holding on to my picket fence. I remember the first time I let go and rode about 10 feet. It was exhilarating. It took me about 3 days with 2 or 3 15 min sessions a day to make it to the end of the driveway without holding on. It has been mentioned that sleep after a learning session helps to cement muscle memory. Patience really does pay off. I didn't really feel comfortable riding until I had over 25 miles or more over a few weeks. I started riding on the sidewalks here and turning the 90 degree corners was always a fall at first. Lol. I eventually learned not to worry about corners any more and fly around them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read all the posts here so I'm not sure if anyone pointed this out but the manual for the V8 says:

"Do not drive the unicycle on the grass, gravel roads, wet and slippery roads, and under other inappropriate road conditions."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rodo said:

I didn't read all the posts here so I'm not sure if anyone pointed this out but the manual for the V8 says:

"Do not drive the unicycle on the grass, gravel roads, wet and slippery roads, and under other inappropriate road conditions."

So basically, DO NOT ENJOY THE V8.    Well, I'd ignore that warning. Sounds like they are covering their asses. Of course, dont get it too wet, but  I can't see how gravel or grass would be an issue unless you are asking too much of the wheel.  Maybe someone else here can verify that theyve ruined their v8 with grass or gravel? Falling off doesnt count.

• Like 1