Dear InMotion: Please release a new app for the V11!

Tryptych

On 5/11/2020 at 12:20 AM, Tryptych said:

Dear InMotion:

* Your Android App is horrible! 

* Horrible, horrible, garbage! 

* It makes me want to avoid your company :(

* Please make an app that reflects the quality of your wheel.

* Please make a fully English version, not just Chinese.

* This will be required before you get an additional $2000 from me.

Please release a new app for the upcoming V11! 

(one that supports the V5, V8 and V10 as well)

Now I understand you have an opinion but this here is not very constructive feedback at all. 

As an example you need to be more specific what doesn't work and how you want it to change. 

A post like this I just look at it and go...hmm let's se..next...

If were on the receiving end of this. 

Now I am not necessarily happy about their app either. I have had issues with it in the past on android. As for iOS I can say as I don't use that platform.

I am not sure how well Darknessbot works with Inmotion either. I do know the @Seba is going go improve Inmotion support in his app. 

Edited by Unventor
Should have added link here.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Unventor said:

So now we are talking iPhone....still not specific enough to I would call it constructive feedback. 

I do suggest you go to the whatsapp channel and explain more in depths what you like to see of changes and why.

iOS app runs on iPhone. the complain of the OP was about the Android app. That's why I said to get an iPhone instead which is not Android. The app runs fine for me on an iPhone.

What am I missing?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hal Farrenkopf said:

iOS app runs on iPhone. the complain of the OP was about the Android app. That's why I said to get an iPhone instead which is not Android. The app runs fine for me on an iPhone.

What am I missing?

Sorry I apologise. I must have been tired posting last night. I saw your reply as the original post to start the thread.

I will hide my post as it is wrong. :facepalm:

15 hours ago, Unventor said:

Sorry I apologise. I must have been tired posting last night. I saw your reply as the original post to start the thread.

I will hide my post as it is wrong. :facepalm:

Not a problem. It is hard to offend me these days....   Personally, I don't ride with an app connected to my V10F. I may have to look at these new apps from 3rd parties if they are worthwhile. I have an old android phone that I could try if it can run it.  I have been away for almost a year from here and had to make a new facebook profile which is why it shows me with so few posts. Can we not post pictures directly from our phones/computers anymore?

3 minutes ago, Hal Farrenkopf said:

Not a problem. It is hard to offend me these days....   Personally, I don't ride with an app connected to my V10F. I may have to look at these new apps from 3rd parties if they are worthwhile. I have an old android phone that I could try if it can run it.  I have been away for almost a year from here and had to make a new facebook profile which is why it shows me with so few posts. Can we not post pictures directly from our phones/computers anymore?

You can upload pictures. But it is a limitation to each account to limit server data use. 

It is better to upload to eg. Flicker or something similar and the post a link. Some services get embedded in your posts just YouTube links does. 

The forum is run by a nice benefactor that pays this out of own pocket. 

But let's keep this on topic please. 

I can only imagine Inmotion will bring out a new app at some point. Either due to V11 or the next wheel set to release in October with AI or when they release their smart watch. There are many new things in scope from Inmotion and they only briefly touch upon these.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I like the app and only use others because of the extra 5kph. 
always work’s great on my iPhone and the options for the wheel like light and sound customization are easy to use. Tracks your ride, allows video. 
seems to have everything you would want to me.

a North America version would be nice, but I’m pretty happy with it now

On 5/11/2020 at 10:02 AM, Dave Wood said:

Surely your taking the piss here? The current Inmotion app is by FAR superior to all the other manufacturers out there right ... my only gripe with it,  is that it doesn't have a offline mode.

I think the bigger issue besides just app quality in general is the trustworthiness of these apps.  Considering the extent to which the Chinese government has their hands in Chinese companies(Huawei among others) whether through spyware or root kits that collect a range of user data whether it be location data, phone contacts, or even more personal data like text messages and other media on the phone I think a lack of an offline mode or a non-social app is a serious flaw.  I wouldn't be surprised if any Chinese company that has an app has to agree to have a back door to collect user data for the chinese government.  Speculation, sure, but considering the Chinese government's heavy-handedness I wouldn't be surprised if in some private meeting a government official said hey you're going to do this or you're not going to be in business if not worse.  Maybe they get a kickback to do it or maybe just a threat shuttling of  them down is enough.  Again, speculation, but we know Chinese companies have siphoned user data for the Chinese government before. Personally I can't believe anyone installs tik-tok or we-chat on their phone but I guess if you're so used to being surveillanced you just don't care maybe.

I've disabled most permissions on my Segway and gotway apps to be on the safe side.

Gotway, kingsong, Segway, inmotion, should all have offline versions of their app that have no social functions and don't require location permissions or access to phone storage.  These versions of the app should be available to those who want to only connect to the wheel for purposes of calibration or relevant wheel stats such as seed, battery charge, current draw etc.

Of course they can still have their social apps for those who want to use them and accept that risk but users shouldn't have to face the choice of using their wheel and configuring it with the official app and letting the Chinese government have their data or protecting their data and not installing manufacturer app on their phone.

Yes there are third-party solutions like wheel log or euc world which are great (better than the manufacturer apps probably) but there can still be issues with compatibility with older wheels or calibration issues if the third-party app hasn't been programmed for it.  But still as good as the third party apps are, one shouldn't have to use a third party app to protect their data.

/Rant

Edit: DjPan beat me to the punch but I echo what they said, to me it's a very serious issue.  

Edited by Heyzeus
  • Like 2

On 5/12/2020 at 3:22 PM, Unventor said:

As an example you need to be more specific what doesn't work and how you want it to change. 

It's so obvious, do I really need to point it out?

(1) The "Moments" tab is completely useless - looks like a Chinese version of Instagram,  I want none of that.

(2)  The "Discover" tab is completely useless  -  not quite sure what it is trying to do - but it is also completely useless and I want none of it.

(3) The "Me" tab wants me to gain some kind of coins, and apparently I can join a Chinese Club.  No thanks. Completely useless.

(4) Half of the above tabs I've mentioned are in Chinese, as if there purpose wasn't already confusing enough.

(5) The "Vehicle" tab is the only useful tab, and it could use a serious re-design.

(6 7 8 9) The Final Straw: The app asks me for permissions to "Allow InMotion to Make and Manage Phone Calls"... explain this one for me? Anyone?  

On 5/11/2020 at 1:02 PM, Dave Wood said:

Surely your taking the piss here? The current Inmotion app is by FAR superior to all the other manufacturers out there right ... my only gripe with it,  is that it doesn't have a offline mode.

Lastly: I don't care if you say this app is better than what the other EUC companies have released, this is STILL CRAP. It's time to raise the bar higher when you're selling $2000 pieces of technology in a competitive market. Step it up!

Edited by Tryptych
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Meserias said:

Tryptych: just use EUCWorld ....

you don't need anything else for day-to-day usage.

You cannot calibrate inmotion product in EUCWORLD! :facepalm:

You can calibrate inmotion product only after sucessfull login to inmotion server. (this is just stupid decision my opinion) :barf: :eff0541f4a:

You CAN calibrate kingsong product offline just use eucworld and bluetooth active.(no need internet location etc nothing just bluetooth on) :thumbup:

I have small update now this week i sucesfully conected to inmotion server with VPN) and server allow me firstime(with VPN) conect and calibrate my V10F. (normaly if inmotion app/server detect VPN block me and not alow me to loging in.)   I dont know if they(inmotion) change something or is just coincidence somebody please test if you can use inmotion app(android) with VPN active.

Im scary what hapen when inmotion turn off server in future my V10F be useles if i lost possibility to calibrate (safety first). This CCP virus show us all nothing is forever and things can change day to day to absolute oposite things. And becasue EUC are +- 2000eur/dolar products this is why i care. Now with V11 i hope changes(positive) coming. :efee96588e:

3 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

You can calibrate inmotion product only after sucessfull login to inmotion server.

Are you talking about logging in the first time or every time you want to calibrate?

I know I don’t need a internet connection to calibrate my v10

1 hour ago, TheBladeOfHades said:

Are you talking about logging in the first time or every time you want to calibrate? / everytime you want conect bluetooth with V10F

I know I don’t need a internet connection to calibrate my v10 / i dont belive maybe on apple IOS .Not possible on android app im 100% shure. (my ap is 7.4.14)

Everytime if you want use inmotion ANDROID app you need/must be online location: on  bluetooth: on . 

If phone(android) is not online app say network error ,if you ignore it app start but you got into infine loop connection failed. App see my V10F bluetoth conect V10F ding for one sec is conected but without login to server conection is interupted and app say Connection failed. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 4:58 AM, Meserias said:

Tryptych: just use EUCWorld ....

you don't need anything else for day-to-day usage.

omfg... Thank you... Thank you... Thank you.... 

This is the first time I've heard of EUCworld... This looks way better!

This is pretty much what I wanted InMotion to do (plus remove/replace all the Chinese social media crap and stop asking for ridiculous permissions).

Now I don't care so much.... 

InMotion: you should be ashamed of your app that scores 2.8 on the app store and has a billion 1 star reviews, and I think that's the last thing I have to say about it.

Thanks for all the replies guys

edit:  Sebastian@EUCWorld: I sent you $20 EUR because you and your app are #%)(#@% awesome, you've made InMotion's app look really stupid.

Edited by Tryptych