Damn, this is effing hard... lol

Albatross

1 hour ago, Albatross said:

my son keeps commenting, damn pop you tell me to take care of my things, but you got this thing a few days ago and it looks wracked. Lol. How do I explain it to him without flipping out and yelling lol.

My colleauges on the forum told me to wrap this thing up in cardboard and I decided to stubbornly ignore them. B)

It still looks better than my KS16S. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Can someone suggest which Riding Mode I should be in. The device has 0-9. 0 being the hardest, what does that mean. I’ve had it in 4 so far. Should I be in a different mode?

Just now, Albatross said:

Can someone suggest which Riding Mode I should be in. The device has 0-9. 0 being the hardest, what does that mean. I’ve had it in 4 so far. Should I be in a different mode?

It comes down to preference. One end of the scale is "soft" and the other end is "hard." In "soft" the wheel will have a softer feel in the pedals, as in they will dip slightly to conform to your forward/backward shifts. In "hard" the pedals will try to stay as level as possible, making for a more solid feel.

As far as I've seen on the forums, none of these modes is "better" or "easier to learn on," it comes down to preference.  Softer seems to be preferred by some for long-distance riding, while harder is preferred for maneuverability and when off pavement.

Try the opposite ends of the spectrum, it won't hurt, and see if you can tell the differences.  Zero in on your preference.

2 minutes ago, svenomous said:

It comes down to preference. One end of the scale is "soft" and the other end is "hard." In "soft" the wheel will have a softer feel in the pedals, as in they will dip slightly to conform to your forward/backward shifts. In "hard" the pedals will try to stay as level as possible, making for a more solid feel.

As far as I've seen on the forums, none of these modes is "better" or "easier to learn on," it comes down to preference.  Softer seems to be preferred by some for long-distance riding, while harder is preferred for maneuverability and when off pavement.

Try the opposite ends of the spectrum, it won't hurt, and see if you can tell the differences.  Zero in on your preference.

Thank you, I’ll follow your advice and will start playing with it. 

2 minutes ago, svenomous said:

I think the harder modes are easier for new riders but for psychological reasons rather than mechanical ones. One of the biggest barriers to learning is psychological: trusting the self-balancing capabilities of the wheel. Harder modes produce pedals that are extremely steady/persistent, which helps instill/build this trust. By contrast softer modes result in pedal pendulum'ing which reinforces new riders' sense of the wheel being unstable/untrustworthy.

• Like 2

One broader tip for the OP after seeing their video: try to steer the wheel into the direction you're falling, rather than trying to tilt the wheel to correct imbalances. (Steering involves twisting and changing the wheels direction while maintaining its verticality.) In fact practicing twisting (basically consistent S turns) should be one of the first exercises for new riders.

Yeah, the beginning is a pain. Literally. My lower legs have hurt for weeks when I started out! Using a heavy wheel (MSX and myself being only about 70kg) probably didn't help either. You're using muscles you never knew you had.

What helped me in the beginning was looking forward in the distance; don't look down!

And I see you're wobbling a lot. Try to relax; slightly bend your knees, and don't make your muscles (and back) too straight/stiff. That might help as well.

I prefer learning to mount at the start; use the 'triangle method'. If your feet and legs know how to mount and dismount, you'll feel more secure rinding.

The first week of training, I think my wheel only fel 2-3 times. But we're all different, obviously ;)

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to take a course using their wheel, I only did the half hour course, should have done the 1 hour, it was nice because I was in a big room with handrails on the walls, after about 15 minutes of riding with my hands on the hand rails, I shoved off towards the middle of the room, it was scary as hell but not terrible, if I ever find anyone that wants to learn to ride, I'll take them to nearby ball fields with long fences that have padding on the top rail for safety, let them ride up and down that fence and shove off when they feel comfortable, it's grass too which helps.

4 hours ago, Albatross said:

On the bright side only about 5 some hours into it and I was doing much better today.

Your doing great! :cheers: Congrats! :thumbup:

I always hated when little kids watched as I was learning. How about you? ;)

49856980086_427aae00e4_b.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, PennBruce said:

Especially when mounting. 

Also, it's similar to a motorcycle.  Where you look is where you will go.

Bruce

So true! Same theory when learning backwards.. don't look down. Look, lean, go...  sounds so easy. ha

6 hours ago, Albatross said:

Just wrapped up for today. At the end of practice session mounted the wheel rode 20-40 feet and stopped with a sort of a dismount, sloppy, but not jumping off the wheel.  Ripped one of the pads, bummer. 

my son keeps commenting, damn pop you tell me to take care of my things, but you got this thing a few days ago and it looks wracked. Lol. How do I explain it to him without flipping out and yelling lol. 

Pads are cheap and battles scars prove that you had some balls to try doing something harder than it may seem. Now that you knocked the new off it, one less BIG thing you'll never worry about again. Mud puddles, rocks, curbs, your future awaits without that extra baggage of worry. Dont fret, they also sell parts for it! Sacrifice the wheel in the pursuit of joy! Wheel parts are cheaper than body parts, let it drop.

Tell your boy that YOU ARE taking care of it. Each scratch is another dollars worth you are getting from it. If he gives you too much shit, ask him to show you how its done without dropping it. :)

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Your doing great! :cheers: Congrats! :thumbup:

I always hated when little kids watched as I was learning. How about you? ;)

49856980086_427aae00e4_b.jpg

Lol, quality stuff.  That’s my kid on the right.  He is trying to figure out what the F is dad doing. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Lol, quality stuff.  That’s my kid on the right.  He is trying to figure out what the F is dad doing. 

I had a feeling that was your kid. Glad your having fun together! :)

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I had a feeling that was your kid. Glad your having fun together! :)

That’s the 5 year old, the 9 year old is taking the video. 

You’re not doing anything wrong Albatross. I just got my knee pads and I plan on using them faithfully. I only had a helmet, elbow pads, wrist and palm guards and gloves. My knees and shins are very scaby but I’m doing ok as far as learning goes. Actually, I’m really happy with my progress after only 15 kms. The essential are good body protection so when you fall your protected and your confidence increases. I’m no longer worried about falling. I just get up and go back to it. Good luck.

Didn’t have much time to practice, but geared up and practiced for 15 minutes. Mounting and riding forward 20 feet or so a couple of times. A few times stopped and dismounted controlled, but with a lot of wobbling.  For some strange reason it’s easier for me to dismount with my right foot, which is my dominant, instead of getting off with my left.   Doesn’t feel right. 

45 minutes ago, Albatross said:

For some strange reason it’s easier for me to dismount with my right foot, which is my dominant, instead of getting off with my left.   Doesn’t feel right. 

The dominant side is always easier.  However, learn to do everything with either foot.  It's worth the effort.

Bruce

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PennBruce said:

The dominant side is always easier.  However, learn to do everything with either foot.  It's worth the effort.

Bruce

That’s what I thought. I’m loving every second on this thing. 

54 minutes ago, PennBruce said:

Bruce

Bruce is exactly right!

Any physical limitation will manifest itself to you on an euc. If you favor a hip or knee or ankle because of arthritis, muscle tone, or injury, you'll be reminded even if you had forgotten. I too favor one leg and spent a week trying to figure out why I couldnt turn as well one way as the other. Turns out it was merely that i wasnt turning my shoulders the same, an odd side effect from arthritis in a hip.  You will adapt and overcome these things in one fashion or another. As for start/stop, I still make a habit to force myself to do it on the less comfortable leg. Mounting, places odd stresses on the joints as you lock in with one leg. Don't worry, youll adapt and conquer!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Excellent stuff. Thank you guys for all your help. 

As I’m training I’m already looking for a better wheel. I am looking at a secondhand MSUPER v2. I’m not looking for anything that goes over 20-23 mph with decent range.  What do you guys think of this wheel for a beginner after the E+?

Edited by Albatross
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Albatross said:

As I’m training I’m already looking for a better wheel. I am looking at a secondhand MSUPER v2. I’m not looking for anything that goes over 20-23 mph with decent range.  What do you guys think of this wheel for a beginner after the E+?

look for a great deal from someone you can somewhat trust. Whatever you think will be 'enough' range and power, shop the next size up. Remove the word 'beginner' from the next purchase decision, as you will only be a beginner for a VERY short % of the time on your new wheel. Catering to a beginner, only works until you arent. Catering to your future... much longer lasting results. I wouldnt consider the msuper a 'beginner' wheel. Im a biased Ks18L owner tho.B) I know you may not think so, but dont underestimate how comfy you will get at speed. I also didnt think I'd need over 20mph, and now, even 30mph (25 actual) doesnt seem fast. It aint slow, but its comfy. Remember, as a kid it was very common to hit 30mph on a standard bicycle on flat ground. A 30mph wheel is REAL comfy at 20mph, lotsa headroom ftw! But, speed is just one factor, and your comfort zone WILL change overtime and very quickly.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Albatross said:

Depends what you want to use it for (and budget obviously). Commute in the city? Off-roading?

18 minutes ago, Maartenv said:

Depends what you want to use it for (and budget obviously). Commute in the city? Off-roading?

Parks and bike trails mostly.