Damn, this is effing hard... lol

Albatross

9 hours ago, Albatross said:

WTF and I mean it, WTF?  I was riding my e+ around my neighborhood already on Saturday. Then I said hell with it and sold it because my v8f was in the mail. Got v8f today. Got my gear on and wanted to take it around the development. And then... I can’t even move three feet on it without falling off. Can’t keep balanced at all. What the hell...  feels like I’m on step one all over again. What happened, what am I doing wrong. I was excited and sure that I was going to ride it off the bat. :(

Have you checked tire pressure after unboxen it? Wheels are normally shipped with low pressure. 

Ahhh I didn't see you had checked it. But having it too high is bad too . If you go to downloads, there is a spreedsheat guide to what tire pressure might suit you.

I find the result as a guide but i prefer the lower pressure as my knees are bad so my abssortion isnt as good as when I didn't have rheumatic problems in my knees..

Since the V8f have battery at the top it is stable going straght once you get this. But turning it will feel like tiping over once the wheel is learned past centerline, the more you lean wheel  the more the top part of wheeel will tip over or so it feels. Since this is a narrow wheel, you can stand much less spead of your legs. In the start I would lean the wheel to the leg I turning away from. but after a while I had trained up my ankles to flip the wheel around without touching it. It came natural for me after a while, not not at first. 

There is an adaption period between wheels. But the more different once you ride the easier and faster this swaping around becomes.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 2

35psi could be too much! Try a bouncier inflation (25psi). Hard tire is much harder to drive and manoeuvre... V8 pedals a little higher than 9bot also. Turn with your shoulders only - the wheel will follow.

Edited by amelanso

As I've said elsewhere, I still think it's unwise to recommend such low tire pressures to people who are still learning/still prone to dropping their wheel. Best to stick within the recommended pressure range indicated on the tire until they're past the dropping-it phase.

No, I have it about 35. It’s not the pressure. This wheel behaves totally different from the E+. I made a little progress on it today. Was at it for two half an hour sessions. Legs are burning. 

• Like 2

Well, alrighty then! Lookin' good! :thumbup: 

Now it just gets more fun and you will start learning things naturally. Looks like you have real good basics. As you get solid wheel time you will naturally add a new trick to your bag-o-tricks with each ride.

Congratulations! :clap3:

• Like 1

Oh man. I can’t wait to rest my legs and jump back on it tomorrow. I’ve been here with the e+. I know tomorrow all the things that clicked today my body will incorporate into the ride.  Fun, fun, fun. I will ride until I can’t feel my legs tomorrow. :)

What’s the easiest and most cost effective  way to monitor my speed, besides having my phone in my hand. Tried that today. Not there yet, where I can safely open and look at my iPhone.  I’m looking into getting a stand alone cheap smart watch that can be hacked, as per some posts on this forum.  But that will take some times. I want to order something today that I can have working next week. Is there a cheap smart watch option that will work with iPhone and has a decent enough visible display, which I can glance at time to time to know my speed?

53 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Is there a cheap smart watch option that will work with iPhone and has a decent enough visible display, which I can glance at time to time to know my speed?

Because you're an iPhone user (like myself): no, there isn't.

The only option on iPhone is an Apple Watch but which are expensive (unless you buy an old one used). There are more popular options for EUC riders on the Android side unfortunately.

Edited by AtlasP

@Albatross Why not monitor your speed with your eyes? :) That's my preferred method...
Is it important what numerical value it is? If you're comfortable at that speed and can break before any dangers come from blind spots are the most important things...

Edited by atdlzpae

14 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

@Albatross Why not monitor your speed with your eyes? :) That's my preferred method...
Is it important what numerical value it is? If you're comfortable at that speed and can break before any dangers come from blind spots are the most important things...

That’s an option of cause. 

15 hours ago, Albatross said:

That’s an option of cause. 

There are other reasons, for example if you want a quick access to a map or to change a podcast. Thus, I'm sorry for dismissing your question.

I bought a "keep your phone on your forearm" thingy, wore it like 3 times and ditched it. ;) It couldn't read my fingerprint and it was clumsy.
RN if I'm curious how fast was I going, I stop and check the top speed in euc.world.

I wear my phone on a leash, so I have a very quick phone access. Something similar to this: 61XnRNcUedL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It is possible to use a phone while riding, but very slowly... It's better to just stop for 15s. Unless it's a quick glance ofc.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Albatross said:

Loving it!!!

I think this will improve fast from where you are at now. It is all about gaining trust and not to tense up the body. Once that happen it becomes more fluid and less jerky movement. It will happen and I think once you compare a video clip from above with early clips you will even now see some difference. Do the same a few weeks from now and you will go: I don't get why it was so effing hard in the beginning. 

Next you know it as subconsciously skill and you get to enjoy your surroundings more. This is where you will see why it is so addictive to ride. You can explore places you don't go by car or wouldn't walk to and still in a simple convenient way. I more or less stopped using my car. 

• Like 1

Went out riding around my neighborhood first thing in the morning.  Had my longest continuous ride on the wheel. I was at 16th minute when the wobble started popping up more often and my feet and legs were screaming at me. 

Take offs are much smoother today, where I don’t have to do much correcting and just start moving forward. Top speed was about 12mph. Average speed at 9mph. 

Last stop was anything but smooth and I had to catch the wheel. Felt a slight pull in my lower back. Hope I won’t be on my back in pain in a couple of hours. Wishing for the best. Lol

• Like 1

Last summer I had that giddy "this is effing cool" period where I just wanted to ride the wheel anytime and anywhere I could, and I undertook a long multi-hour ride on a series of river and lakefront trails we have around here, a loop that adds up to a few dozen miles.  I had gotten comfortable enough that I felt I could ride around people without that uncertain "wobble" that's there at the beginning, but my feet still ached horribly after just a few minutes on the wheel.  But, it was a beautiful summer day, I had a little backpack with water and a lunch, and so I just stopped every 20 minutes or so, sat on a bench or in the grass, and rested a bit.  People would stare, most while pretending not to, and some would stop to ask about the contraption.  Anyway, my point is about the early leg/foot pain: best is to just step off and rest. Don't even have to sit down, just straddling the wheel with feet on the ground for a couple of minutes is enough to ease the pain and numbness.

All of this gets better with time, although I still find the soles of my feet get uncomfortable and a little numb with time.  If I'm standing very toes-out (like when I'm doing more climbing than descending and want a more forward CG), the heels get more painful, and when I'm more centered on the pedals the balls of my feet tend to get painful.  However, although I still like to take a break every once in a while, I'm now good enough that I can shift my feet as I go: mostly I lift one heel off the pedal and keep just the toes down, holding that for about 10 seconds, and then I shift to the other foot and do the same.  This helps a lot.  Occasionally moving more forward or backward on the pedals also helps, as does changing the toe-out angle a bit.  I'm sure losing some weight would do even more to help, but let's not get drastic here!

Congrats on all the progress, btw, Albatross!  If you think of all this as a hill to climb, you've made it past the initial steepest part, and now it's just a steady climb for the next several months.  You'll get better and better, and as others have said, eventually you'll wonder why you ever thought this was hard to learn.

• Like 1

Just got on the wheel and was riding Jon stop for an hour. Ventured out of my development and rode to a park 2 miles away. On the way back experienced my first tilt back. I’m so super excited. Had a blast!!!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Albatross said:

Man, went around again. 5 miles!!! By the end had crazy wobble and tilt back. My wife just settled into this new adventure of mine and asked me, when I’m going to get another one. She knows me too well!!!

Maybe she is hoping you will give her your current wheel when you get a new one.