Damn, this is effing hard... lol

Albatross

Went out again. Tried to go further, faster and the wobble got me, it got me good. I landed on my feet, but it was one of those, wow this could of ended worse moments. 

Any suggestions what I can be doing wrong, I try to relax, but looking at videos of myself I see that I’m as stiff as a board. 

• Like 1

Relax harder ;) No really, I believe you are trying to control this with the thinking brain, while it should be muscle memory. Try looking far front, disconnect brain and let it go. Stand straight, a little flex in the knees.. Maybe you havent balanced much as a kid and need more time, but little by little it should work..

Courage, you'll get there.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Went out again. Tried to go further, faster and the wobble got me, it got me good. I landed on my feet, but it was one of those, wow this could of ended worse moments. 

Any suggestions what I can be doing wrong, I try to relax, but looking at videos of myself I see that I’m as stiff as a board. 

I had a wobbly day a little today. Chalk it up to a bug, rest and go back to it. I like to joke and say the wobbles come and go, but its a joke based on reality. If its cold outside it makes it worse, as you tense. I hate riding cold. Just chillax, have a stiff drink, give it a go tomorrow. You get better as you rest too.  Null said it right.. 'relax harder'.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Albatross said:

Just ride. ;) There are no other hints than that. In a few hours you'll get it - the difference between 20m and 1km is really small.
Before 1000km your subconscious still has a lot to learn.

There seriously are no suggestions here. It's like with walking - hints won't help your child to learn it, it's subconscious simply has to get a big enough dataset from trial and error.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 1

IMO better to go further in straight lines on empty roadways to gain comfort. Need to move at decent speed so that the inertial force (coriolis effect) of the wheel turning can help stabilise it & you. When riding in a straight line try to maintain awareness of your body - are you tense, are your knees/feet gripping the body of EUC? Can you relax your legs and feet more and get to a similar body state to when you are simply standing?

For new riders turning the wheel should start simply by a slight turn of the shoulders - the legs will follow and the wheel will turn. Everything else is just a matter of time on the wheel. Once a decent level of comfort is found, practising slow figure 8s, circles,tight turns, etc is good way to increase skill (the slower the better). Above all just have fun with it. The early period of learning is one of the funnest. You are not on a timetable so who cares how long it takes!

How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice! Practice! Practice :-)

• Like 2

Wobbles is part of the learning process. It happens to everyone. 

It came down go to things for me. Either I had a feet placement that I couldn't balance (I will get back to that) or it was because I were tired in my legs.

In the start I found it to be important to stand "correctly " with both feet at same area on pedals. Not to far ahead or back. Later on I developed a asymmetric stand with dominant leg as my brake a bit behind and the other as my speed.

If you start to get wobbles do not look down but in start slow down and step off wait 10-15 secs and start again. 

Later on you find it happens at a certain speed and you might be able to push past it by going a little faster. And at some point you will just not think about it and you auto correct it.

The learning process is hard to rush. It different for everyone how fast and how easy this is to everyone. 

It took me about 8 training sessions of 10-15min before I could ride my 1800m to work on cycle lanes. But it will take much more before you have a natural response build up in your body and muscles when something unexpected happens. 

• Like 1

Hot Damn, what an awesome day. Missed a day of practice yesterday and when I got on the wheel today, dare I say it, something clicked!!!

The video below is probably my worse, most wobbly and slow run of the day. 

Figured out to feel the wheel better by relaxing my lower body and shifting weight with my hips.  Saw you guys say that, but didn’t understand it until today.

Today was the first day I truly had an immense amount of fun with the e+

My v8f is in the mail and should be here next week. I’m super excited and grateful for this forum and all the members that have been helping me out. 

#rideordie

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c2yiZRSgZnXWVBD66

• Like 3

Went a half a mile today without stopping. Attempted to do a turn and lost control. Wheel slammed into a curb. Wheel went one way, battery and pad the other. Reconnected the battery and put the pad back on. Wheel is working, but battery and pad fall out after any hit to it. The plastic clips on the pad broke. Going to figure it out later. But it looks like my learning has killed this e+ in two weeks. Luckily my v8f is scheduled for Tuesday delivery.  This one comes with cover and I plan to take much better care of it. 

below is a video while I was riding, can anyone tell me what extra noise is. I checked the wheel there is nothing that seems to be stuck in there to make it. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mka1XU2gjv7TAo6b6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ksafHUFzE3pCt1JX6

The rubbing noise in the video sounds like a twig or other debris wedged between the shell and wheel. Take a look inside the housing with a bright light for any foreign matter. Otherwise, you may need to tear the wheel down and inspect it for damage, though I'd say it's very unlikely. The NB1E+ is almost indestructible.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

The beginner wobble has everything to do with foot position. Find a pole or fence to hold on to. Once you learn to plant your feet exactly in an identical position on both sides, you can practice regular mounting. The feet should be pointed just slightly outward, with your legs inline or slightly to the rear of the vertical axis. It's OK to hug the wheel tightly while you are learning. Your innner legs will be sore (you can pad them), but that will quickly fade. Also, spend $8 and put griptape on the upper wheel decks - it makes a world of difference.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Albatross said:

Went a half a mile today without stopping. Attempted to do a turn and lost control. Wheel slammed into a curb. Wheel went one way, battery and pad the other. Reconnected the battery and put the pad back on. Wheel is working, but battery and pad fall out after any hit to it. The plastic clips on the pad broke. Going to figure it out later. But it looks like my learning has killed this e+ in two weeks. Luckily my v8f is scheduled for Tuesday delivery.  This one comes with cover and I plan to take much better care of it. 

below is a video while I was riding, can anyone tell me what extra noise is. I checked the wheel there is nothing that seems to be stuck in there to make it. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mka1XU2gjv7TAo6b6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ksafHUFzE3pCt1JX6

Speedyfeet still sells the NB1 covers for about $20 each + shipping (very reasonable) to the US. You can also mod the cover for battery quick change if it is salvageable. See here, here, and here.

Edited by litewave

Oh shit! Thats crappy to see/hear. DOes it look like it broke much, or perhaps some duct tape/zip-tie repair is possible. Really sorry to see that happened. I'm sure youll get it fixed somehow!

57 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Oh shit! Thats crappy to see/hear. DOes it look like it broke much, or perhaps some duct tape/zip-tie repair is possible. Really sorry to see that happened. I'm sure youll get it fixed somehow!

Well, rigged the pad, it’s not going anywhere. That crazy noise is getting worse, I looked inside don’t see anything. That’s what is really bothering me. I am not too bummed out over it.  Was back at a park today and rode it quarter mile back and forth a bunch of times. Hips, knees calf’s and shins are burning. But it was crazy fun. My v8f is coming on Tuesday, according to tracking. Once it gets here I will tare the e+ apart and see if I can find what’s making that noise. I was playing with the app today and set a limit to like 6mph by accident and experienced my first tiltback. Took me by surprise. 

• Like 1

I rode around my development a bunch of times today. The wheel doesn’t sound good. Definitely sounds like something is in there, but I couldn’t find it. Made this video while riding. Had an absolute blast. Again, can’t wait for my v8f to get here. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LcVDQrQTNLRxbGcW9

• Like 1

It looks like you are over the worst part now! Just keep adding miles and it will feel more natural each time, especially when you go at it fresh. 20 to 30 minutes at a time should be the max. You can rest a while and hit it fresh again. The new wheel will be more stable also. As you get more stable, you will naturally start adding in more turns, varying speed, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Albatross said:

I rode around my development a bunch of times today. The wheel doesn’t sound good. Definitely sounds like something is in there, but I couldn’t find it. Made this video while riding. Had an absolute blast. Again, can’t wait for my v8f to get here. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LcVDQrQTNLRxbGcW9

It sounds as if a leaf/twich/stone is stuck either in the tire or in the housing where the tire rotates. There isn't much room so it can easily happen for something to get stuck. 

If you turn off the wheel and bounce it you might hear it move or lay it on the side to check while you rotate the tire. Check that the valve doesn't point out so it scrapes the case. Something you can to find something that you can use to prey just be gentle not to break anything.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 5:10 PM, atdlzpae said:

Just ride. ;) There are no other hints than that. In a few hours you'll get it - the difference between 20m and 1km is really small.
Before 1000km your subconscious still has a lot to learn.

There seriously are no suggestions here. It's like with walking - hints won't help your child to learn it, it's subconscious simply has to get a big enough dataset from trial and error.

I'm 2.5 weeks into my first wheel. Taking to heart the comparison with learning to ride a bike has helped the most, keeping me from getting discouraged and too focused on conscious technique*.  I knew if I made sure to practice multiple times daily, even in short spurts, it'd eventually click.  Last week it finally did and I'm happily out f the frustrating part of the learning curve and into the fun region.   As you said, it's all about trial and error.

*Remembering to turn into the fall has helped a lot as far as technique goes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Livingston B said:

I'm 2.5 weeks into my first wheel. Taking to heart the comparison with learning to ride a bike has helped the most, keeping me from getting discouraged and too focused on conscious technique*.  I knew if I made sure to practice multiple times daily, even in short spurts, it'd eventually click.  Last week it finally did and I'm happily out f the frustrating part of the learning curve and into the fun region.   As you said, it's all about trial and error.

*Remembering to turn into the fall has helped a lot as far as technique goes.

Don't start to try reverse riding as you are back to zero and frustration again. :P

Even 2.5 years I am not there yet....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

Don't start to try reverse riding as you are back to zero and frustration again. :P

I learned to ride forward in ~3 days.

It took me 3-4 weeks to learn to ride backward, and even then/even since I still think I'm not great at it.

2 minutes ago, AtlasP said:

I learned to ride forward in ~3 days.

It took me 3-4 weeks to learn to ride backward, and even then/even since I still think I'm not great at it.

Just the thought of riding backwards scares me at this time.

WTF and I mean it, WTF?  I was riding my e+ around my neighborhood already on Saturday. Then I said hell with it and sold it because my v8f was in the mail. Got v8f today. Got my gear on and wanted to take it around the development. And then... I can’t even move three feet on it without falling off. Can’t keep balanced at all. What the hell...  feels like I’m on step one all over again. What happened, what am I doing wrong. I was excited and sure that I was going to ride it off the bat. :(

• Like 1

It just has a different feel for your feet and legs to get used to. Make sure your tire pressure is good. Yeah, you might feel like you are back to square one. But you will get going pretty fast compared to day one on the other wheel. Just back up a little, use the wall or fence again until you get your MoJo back. Patience dude, patience!

Once you get some rock solid mileage, your body will be doing things more intuitively and you should be able to go from one wheel to the next. I haven't checked the dates, but I think you are about one month into it. I wasn't riding reliably until the end of month two. Now I'm at the end of month four and can hop on any of the wheels and go. It will happen for you! 

• Like 1

Different wheel, different feel. If you master one wheel, relearning another probably isnt a HUGE leap. If you don't have a great grasp on even one, moving to another may be a giant leap. Don't fret, patience is key. Being mentally frustrated is probably making it worse. Check tire pressure.

Edited by ShanesPlanet