Tire Wear / Should I Rotate My Wheel?

knell

Should i flip my wheel daily to wear out the tire evenly?

Or is it rotational like a car tire?

Does the motor perform better in one direction vs the other? DarknessBot app measures positive and negative amp depending on direction...

thank you for your help

thank you for the reply, my KS16S has buttons on one side and the air intake tube is bent away from the frame... this is the direction i should spin the wheel, yes? or do you pick one side and stick with it?

1 hour ago, knell said:

thank you for the reply, my KS16S has buttons on one side and the air intake tube is bent away from the frame... this is the direction i should spin the wheel, yes? or do you pick one side and stick with it?

Look for rotation direction mark on one side of tire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, knell said:

If you want to know what side KingSong considers the front, do this:

1. Turn on the wheel and lean it against a wall (so the wheel isn't moving).
  2. Connect to the wheel with your app
  3. Turn on the headlamp via the app.

Whichever light turns on, that's the front. I can't remember with the 16S, but I think the power button is on the back when you do this little experiment.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Seba said:

Look for rotation direction mark on one side of tire.

no arrow, just some Chinese lettering saying the brand Zhengxin and the usual size and inflation numbers

19 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

If you want to know what side KingSong considers the front, do this:

1. Turn on the wheel and lean it against a wall (so the wheel isn't moving).
  2. Connect to the wheel with your app
  3. Turn on the headlamp via the app.

Whichever light turns on, that's the front. I can't remember with the 16S, but I think the power button is on the back when you do this little experiment.

okay, thank you, the side with the buttons turns on, as it does when i turn on the torch via the app. Interested to learn more about how the motor works.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 12:51 AM, knell said:

You should always have the tire valve pointed forward when closest to the ground, and the tire cap must removed. The valve could catch the wheel otherwise.

The tire valve does move when tire pressure gets lower, and eventually it will catch to your great displeasure.

• Like 2

Leaving the valve cap off is a bold move. I guess it depends on where one rides though. If I left the cap out, the valve would be filled with mud, sand, dust and probably a few small animals within a week.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LanghamP said:

You should always have the tire valve pointed forward when closest to the ground, and the tire cap must removed. The valve could catch the wheel otherwise.

The tire valve does move when tire pressure gets lower, and eventually it will catch to your great displeasure.

Yes this is the main reason i only want to ride one way... i think i will leave the cap on tho, thank you for the reply.

My original Monorover a few years ago came with a straight valve! it caught the wheel very early on, and popped the tube. i sent it away and it came back with a bent valve. i think they learned that lesson too late, as they went out of business not long after that.

My 16S and 18XL both have the power buttons on the same side as is the front according to the tire rotation arrow. The patterns make a V when seen from the front.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tire rotation direction has NOTHING to do with valve orientation. Whether tube or tubeless, the valves are a separate entity. If the tire has no arrow on it, you will need to understand how to read tread. As @null simplified, most patterns are seen as a V on the front. Its not hard to recognize most tread direction. Think of it this way.. if you rolled the tire, does it seem like the tread would accept water into the channels and direct them to the middle? Or does it look like water would start at the middle and be forced to the sides? THIS detail is what tire direction is all about. Are you wanting water (and air) to be compressed as it runs into the center of the tire, potentially  causing hydroplane or lifting? OR do you want water (and air) to start at a smaller point and be directed to a larger area, eventually outside of the contact patch to lessen lifting and hydroplane? At lower speeds, this compressing of wind and water is very minor and probably doesnt pose noise or hydroplane issue. Its also obvious that it doesnt matter so much on dry roads. At higher speeds, (cars and such) this is a total safety issue hands down. Off road drivers sometimes run tires backwards on purpose, as the tread 'grab' more in reverse. Then some argue that the tread gets full and renders it a moot point.  One of my 18L's came with tire backwards, the other didnt. Justifying which way is correct, by assuming the factory did it in any particular fashion, is an understandable mistake. Put valve caps on. Not only does it protect the valve teflon, it protects the internal threading of the stem. It also keeps water out, which could freeze or cause corrosion. Valve caps are NOT meant to stop a leaky valve, merely protect precision threading and important sealing surfaces. No point in rotating a directional tire to run opposite of your first informed decision of which way you prefer it. If anything, running a corded tire or bias ply one way and the reverse, can cause bunching and lead to premature failure or mishapen areas. Of course, euc's are so light and the tires may not bind/bunch, but theres nothing to gain by rotating them, as there isnt camber on a single wheel. Remember, new tires can be slick for the first few miles. Sometimes the outer rubber is coated or it just hardens from sitting(age is a BIG factor, ask any sport bike racer, age = harder). Use caution or sandpaper newer tires to knock that slick sheen off the tread area.image.jpeg.5c5e839878e94c7d48ed310d18f8ef3a.jpegThe tire on the right would roll towards us as THAT being forwards. The left tire is actually not directional, but it seems it would still be in/out facing dependent, but not directional. A LOT of tires have identical treading, only opposite of each other from the centerline. These could be mounted either way, tho  changing their direction later in life via 'rotation', is not recommended anymore. Basically, dont criss-cross rotate if on a car, depending on tire composition.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

If you don't enjoy the fast speed, it doesn't matter whether you ride forward or backward. :efee47c9c8:

But what you need to know before you have a safe and enjoyable experience is that most of the time, when you look at the side of the electric wheel tire, there. 

No direction was indicated for no reason.:eff04a58a6:

Think of the direction of the arrow as the direction of progress, the front line. 
The orientation is various tire treads (the rubber layer thickens easily on road contact).
There's a pattern. The effects of the tread are a variety of functions, including anti-slip, internal heat emissions, improved rotational performance, and water film (emissions).

What is the difference between tire width and tire width? There will also be questions.:confused1:

But the electric wheel is a unicycle. We rely on our bodies for that disproportionate figure.

The tread of the road cannot be ignored because of the tread direction of the tire.

Because in addition to the need for braking in various environments (not on public roads rather than on normal roads), the pattern of tires is a little complicated.

As I told you before, it doesn't matter whether you ride forward or backward at low speeds.

Trick practice, you won't notice much difference at low speeds, but if you're enjoying high speeds at speeds above 30 km/h,
Observe the tread orientation of the tyre (arrow, appropriate air pressure psi) and drive in the forward direction.

Honestly, it's up to you no matter how you enjoy it. :popcorn:

I wrote down my thoughts, and I think the decision was made by the user who enjoys the electric wheel. :cheers:

Car tires being flat have the problem of not wearing evenly. Conventional tires don't. If you ride high pressure you might get a flat spot, if you ride low you won't.

The tires supplied with eucs cost around 5-6usd within China. No big deal. Some do wear out much slower than others. If you're concerned with wear pick a slow wearing tire. You'd think it comes at the cost of grip but the CST C1488 tire I use has great mileage and grip. Don't know if they're using harder rubber in the middle and softer on the sides? Sounds too advanced for a 5usd tire.