EUC for newbie

Lezhonka

I’m looking for an electric unicycle to fit my lifestyle. 

I’m an absolute beginner in mid 40s. Regular balance - I ride an electric scooter and bicycle, but no skates or skateboard. 
I’m tall and heavy: 6’4” and 240lbs fully equipped with a backpack.

Should I invest in a heavy duty wheel strong enough to survive my learning curve or start with an expendable “cheap” wheel?

I’ll be riding mostly on pavement, minimal off road. I don’t envision myself riding faster than 20 mph. Looking to use it for my daily 6 miles one way commutes to work - on a dedicated paved bicycle trail, no car traffic for the most part. I charge at work and at home, so the battery capacity is not a huge importance to me.

I’m an office worker (suit and tie), commuting for fun, not necessity. In inclement weather I will be driving to work.

What EUC would you recommend to me?
Thank you in advance

If you can afford it, start with a bigger wheel. Just invest in a lot of bubble wrap for the first 1000km. B)
There are two wheels for us fat folks: KS18L/KS18XL and MSX. Both of them will give you around 50-60km of range on one charge.

Bigger wheel means bigger stability - my MSX is way more stable than my previous KS16S. I regret buying KS16S - I pretty much destroyed it, it wasn't sturdy enough.

Since you plan to ride slowly, a normal 84V version would be better for you - the only advantage of 100V is more speed.

Both of those wheels should keep their value quite well if you ever decide you don't like unicycling. And if you are able to buy second hand, even better. :-)
Actually, since you plan to just do minimal offroad, KS18XL would probably be better - KingSongs have really good, 10/10 trolley handles. Meanwhile, MSX's handle is only 5/10.
InMotion doesn't have an 18' wheel and Ninebot One Z10 is not a good wheel from what I've read.

Edited by atdlzpae
  • Like 3

I’m a newbie too. I bought a cheap second hand wheel as a starter wheel and I’m now in the process of buying my proper wheel.

I think second hand was the right way to go, even though in my country the second hand EUC market is almost non existent, and the wheel I bought was truly ancient. In the US you’ll have way more options.

These things can get very expensive and you won’t know the kind of rider you are or want you really want from an EUC until you hop on and start to use one.

You’ll drop the wheel, a lot, when learning so best to do it with a cheapy. You might even decide that EUCs are not for you.

Buy proper safety gear though! Don’t skimp there. And don’t commute during the newbie phase in your fancy office shoes :)

My humble 2c. I’ll leave the wheel recommendations to my more experienced brethren.

• Like 2

I'm with both previous posters; dont buy a new learner wheel, you will outgrow it quickly. If in doubt whether EUCs might not be for you get a second hand wheel to explore. There are too many wasted learner wheels around, and they are not that cheap either. If you think you will stick to it you could get a serious wheel right away, just pad it well for the learning process. Most of us end up concluding its great use and fun :) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atdlzpae said:

Actually, since you plan to just do minimal offroad, KS18XL would probably be better - KingSongs have really good, 10/10 trolley handles. Meanwhile, MSX's handle is only 5/10.

Thank you so much, looking into KS18XL!

No idea. Considering they are only 16', I'm pretty sure they are less smooth of a ride. ;) Although 3' tire definitely helps.

But I don't understand how did they make Nikola's wheel smaller than MSX, while making the chassis bigger and more difficult to steer. :P

Edited by atdlzpae

1 hour ago, atdlzpae said:

But I don't understand how did they make Nikola's wheel smaller than MSX, while making the chassis bigger and more difficult to steer. :P

I second that. I honestly couldn't believe the size of the Nikola when I first saw one in the flesh, and that's coming from my MSX.

With the Nikolas 'little' wheel underneath it, I couldn't help but wonder just how much free airspace must be within it, even at 1800wh or so.

It was at that point I decided the Nikola wasn't for me. If I am going to hustle around a case like that, I want a wheel underneath it at least as big as the MSX, if not bigger.

40's 6'3" 140lbs. If you are the type of person that is sure in their head that they WILL learn this. 'Buy once, cry once'.  I had no doubt i would learn to ride, so my first was an 18L. I found a great deal, bought a cover and LOVE it. I hate replacing things, as I lose $$. I DID buy a 14" wheel a week later, as I was hoping for a smaller and lighter to have and let people ride. Unfortunately, I just didnt like it from day1, adn returned it. I had already gotten used to the luxuryof the 18".  My thoughts were that a bigger wheel would mean a little better at my rough country roads. As with most things, I assumed the weight and size would HELP in moving stability. WIth motorcycles, I always rode a large sport bike, as having more power than I need, was safer. It sounds wrong, but having more power, usually means a smoother delivery of it, when you arent pushing the limits. My 1100cc Honda was the smoothest  bike I ever owned. Maybe wheels arent the same, but this rationalle is why i went big and didnt bother working my way up.  If you are the type that doesnt want to tackle this with determination, or are viewing this as a 'maybe' hobby, then by all means I would start cheaper and see how goes. In the end, I would buy the wheel that most closely fits your future goals, and ignore that nagging feeling that you need to sacrifice one to get there. You break a cheap wheel, its gna cost ya to fix. You break a nice wheel, still gna cost ya to fix. If you're more a junk it and buy another, then perhaps this doesnt apply. I try to use things until they cant be fixed. Surely buying a wheel that you can get parts for and a COVER, are in the list of things to look for. Regardless, I just KNOW that no matter how much I love my 18L, it was the monster that started my EUC addiction. The bar is now set high! Im sure i'll like to own more than one (again) at some point, but good ones are a little steep at my income level. Im blessed to even have one.  At least I KNOW i havent wasted a penny on a junk wheel yet..  Just my $.02

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

@Lezhonka - I'm in Northern NJ too and just got a King Song 14D recently. Today was my first last mile commute. A total of 4 miles. The 14D handles bad roads (pretty much the only kind in Bergen county) pretty well. And it handled the ride in the rain on my way home today. 

It does have a weight limit of 200 lbs. The max speed is 18.x mph but I find that with the road conditions, traffic and people here, I tend to stay under 15mph.

My wheel is pretty scratched up in the first few days so I'm glad I didn't spend too much money on a bigger more powerful wheel. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vasuvius said:

@Lezhonka - I'm in Northern NJ too and just got a King Song 14D recently. Today was my first last mile commute. A total of 4 miles. The 14D handles bad roads (pretty much the only kind in Bergen county) pretty well. And it handled the ride in the rain on my way home today. 

It does have a weight limit of 200 lbs. The max speed is 18.x mph but I find that with the road conditions, traffic and people here, I tend to stay under 15mph.

My wheel is pretty scratched up in the first few days so I'm glad I didn't spend too much money on a bigger more powerful wheel. 

You broke the cardinal rule: Get a cover for that thing. Of course, once you knock the new off it, its more fun anyhow. Aint it great to have so many viable choices for euc's?! Im not sure if bigger or smaller is more prone to wheel damages that renders it unusable until repair. Id be a little worried about a 200+ lb man on a 14" wheel. Theres been quite a bit of discussion about size/power/safety on these.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You broke the cardinal rule: Get a cover for that thing. Of course, once you knock the new off it, its more fun anyhow. Aint it great to have so many viable choices for euc's?!

If you scratch up the first one, it's a perfect reason to upgrade ;-)

• Like 2

Just now, vasuvius said:

If you scratch up the first one, it's a perfect reason to upgrade ;-)

Play the powerball if you're going with that scenario. I do like where your head is at tho!

17 hours ago, Lezhonka said:

Thank you so much, looking into KS18XL!

Good choice!

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You broke the cardinal rule: Get a cover for that thing. 

If you are buying from ewheels.com, you can get an EUC Bodyguard to keep your wheel looking good (while learning and after then too) - Full disclosure, they are made by me.
And if you are buying elsewhere, you can get one direct from us - www.roll.nz .

I may be biased, but a number of other members here will tell you that it is a good way to prevent your (expensive) "learner wheel" from being trashed...

Im not biased, I'm a picky, ocd, A**HOLE. Hurts to spend more $$ when you just spent a ton on the euc to begin with. I even waited with my wheel for 3 days (foaming at the mouth), for my cover to come. I rode once in the grass (naked wheel), it fell over and scratched it. The cover is soft on the legs, keeps scratches to a minimum, looks trick, and what surprised me the most and was unexpected : the material used absorbs impact. I swear I have beaten this wheel (my first wheel)  and am no stranger to doing stupid crap. My pedals and handle tell the tale all too well. If it werent for the absorbtion of the material, Id have at least a cracked shell or a broken screw point. Another side effect is the cover hides and holds the pads in place. Cant see that scuffed pad or worry about it slipping now.  Im not on anyones payroll and im not an ass kisser. I'm jaded enough that when i get something that seems like it's what was advertised (and possibly more), i am gushingly shocked. I also bought a white 18L(6 miles used when i got it), as i heard about the black ones cracking more easily. I didnt worry, as I knew the cover would hide it (white bleh) and keep me happy. I havent had it long enough to comment on stitching durability, but it looks tough. You do have to be careful about letting the wheel roll on its front/rear with a cover in the floor of the car. Mine suffered some degration from the vibration and pressure on the carpet. Live and learn, still not complaining. Anyhow, Topic derail and product rant/endorsement over. Sorry about that, I do like to ramble..

DSCN7616.thumb.JPG.af7b40df7b02afa38cb51684126e9bcb.JPGDSCN7620.JPG      DSCN7619.thumb.JPG.b049004a20b18aa733be0b296bfe458d.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Im not biased, I'm a picky, ocd, A**HOLE. Hurts to spend more $$ when you just spent a ton on the euc to begin with. I even waited with my wheel for 3 days (foaming at the mouth), for my cover to come. I rode once in the grass (naked wheel), it fell over and scratched it. The cover is soft on the legs, keeps scratches to a minimum, looks trick, and what surprised me the most and was unexpected : the material used absorbs impact. I swear I have beaten this wheel (my first wheel)  and am no stranger to doing stupid crap. My pedals and handle tell the tale all too well. If it werent for the absorbtion of the material, Id have at least a cracked shell or a broken screw point. Another side effect is the cover hides and holds the pads in place. Cant see that scuffed pad or worry about it slipping now.  Im not on anyones payroll and im not an ass kisser. I'm jaded enough that when i get something that seems like it's what was advertised (and possibly more), i am gushingly shocked. I also bought a white 18L(6 miles used when i got it), as i heard about the black ones cracking more easily. I didnt worry, as I knew the cover would hide it (white bleh) and keep me happy. I havent had it long enough to comment on stitching durability, but it looks tough. You do have to be careful about letting the wheel roll on its front/rear with a cover in the floor of the car. Mine suffered some degration from the vibration and pressure on the carpet. Live and learn, still not complaining. Anyhow, Topic derail and product rant/endorsement over. Sorry about that, I do like to ramble..

DSCN7616.thumb.JPG.af7b40df7b02afa38cb51684126e9bcb.JPGDSCN7620.JPG      DSCN7619.thumb.JPG.b049004a20b18aa733be0b296bfe458d.JPG

What @ShanesPlanet said...   

Funnily enough, the original intention was to cushion impacts and protect the wheel... Secondly, we wanted to make it look awesome!
But the comfort factor and the additional grip that it give the rider were quite unintentional - a bonus for the riders!

And for anyone out there shopping... Watch for new colours and new models, coming soon...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Good choice!

If you are buying from ewheels.com, you can get an EUC Bodyguard to keep your wheel looking good (while learning and after then too) - Full disclosure, they are made by me.
And if you are buying elsewhere, you can get one direct from us - www.roll.nz .

I may be biased, but a number of other members here will tell you that it is a good way to prevent your (expensive) "learner wheel" from being trashed...

I bought the 14D from ewheels. Too late for the cover. I've not really trashed the plastic body and it's fairly scratch free. Only the pedals are fully scratched.

I don't think you'd find the 14" trainer wheels that useful at your size. I'd go for something with a 16" wheel or larger. Definitely a good idea to get some padding and/or a cover. It takes a week or so to learn and then perhaps a month to get competent so don't head off to work on the first day. Get protection for yourself too - helmet and wrist guards minimum. The KS18XL is a great wheel but I'd also look at the KS16X and the inmotion V10F. Recently there's been a few queries about wheels for big folk so I added a report to my wheel database to show some possible rides. It just shows wheels said to carry riders over 100kg, with a motor power over 1600W and with at least a 16" wheel (if anyone has better criteria then I'll use that). If you're particularly heavy then I'd be wary of the Gotway EUCs as they tend to have weaker axle set ups.

• Like 1

I've been helping folks transition from Onewheels to EUCs. I made this video last month that you may find helpful although my buddy got a Nikola as his first wheel just a few weeks ago and is already looking to upgrade!

Edited by Jimmy Chang

On 1/14/2020 at 10:28 AM, atdlzpae said:

If you can afford it, start with a bigger wheel. Just invest in a lot of bubble wrap for the first 1000km. B)
There are two wheels for us fat folks: KS18L/KS18XL and MSX. Both of them will give you around 50-60km of range on one charge.

Bigger wheel means bigger stability - my MSX is way more stable than my previous KS16S. I regret buying KS16S - I pretty much destroyed it, it wasn't sturdy enough.

[...]

Agreed.  Bigger and preferibly well treaded.

• Like 1