100v MSX 1860wh Controller Upgrade

ZenRyder

On 12/25/2019 at 12:54 AM, ZenRyder said:

The new controller appears to be running very smooth. No issues. I've only been up to 24 mph, but so far looking real good. Need to go on a few longer rides and get some feedback from others who are upgrading their boards. Looking for a more detailed report from @Nick McCutcheon. But I heard he can ride seated now with no issues. Overall, I think we have a good board that can be trusted to correct the MSX issues. 

GW contact said the firmware Engineer had to make some changes to accommodate the altered weight distribution in the MSX with daughter battery packs. Apparently this had also impacted the AliExpress larger pack MSXs as well. They're actively working on producing the remaining 25x boards, which will be rolled out in the the next 1-2 weeks. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

GW contact said the firmware Engineer had to make some changes to accommodate the altered weight distribution in the MSX with daughter battery packs. Apparently this had also impacted the AliExpress larger pack MSXs as well. They're actively working on producing the remaining 25x boards, which will be rolled out in the the next 1-2 weeks. 

Interesting. I wondered about the added battery packs because they are both behind the center of gravity. The amount of weight is fairly substantial (what nearly 10 lbs?) total. 

MSX-Battery.png

I mean it looks to me like they just didn't account for it to make that much difference. But if the forward to backward work that the wheel had to do was changed enough, you could see why the firmware algorithm would be thrown off and cause the oscillation and wobble problems. 

Getting a fix within a month or two (even with the hiccups) is much appreciated.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

Same.

I don't understand it.

I don't believe it either, adding an extra 800wh pack to a 1600wh monster should produce the same results if true, but I didn't see any noticable ride difference after doing that to my (now sold) monster. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Nick McCutcheon said:

I don't believe it either, adding an extra 800wh pack to a 1600wh monster should produce the same results if true, but I didn't see any noticable ride difference after doing that to my (now sold) monster. 

Is the battery pack the same on the monster? With the top pack's weight evenly distributed and the add-on packs only added onto the rear behind the center of gravity? Just wondering if it's the same battery layout because there is so much room in the monster case. 

29 minutes ago, ZenRyder said:

Is the battery pack the same on the monster? With the top pack's weight evenly distributed and the add-on packs only added onto the rear behind the center of gravity? Just wondering if it's the same battery layout because there is so much room in the monster case. 

The Monster has two top center packs plus one behind the axle which totally throws off the balance of the wheel. The 2400wh Monster has to be the most unbalanced wheel in existence.

Yet when Nick converted his 1600wh Monster to the 2400wh version, no changes to the firmware was needed.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

The Monster has two top center packs plus one behind the axle which totally throws off the balance of the wheel. The 2400wh Monster has to be the most unbalanced wheel in existence.

Doesn't the Monster have vertical packs, where the board is in the space where another vertical pack would fit? So any battery pack would always be off-center? And the imbalance is from the lack of pack in the 4th space where the board sits?  Are you talking about some mod (or the ACM/msuper where the packs lie horizontally and are centered above the axle)?

Wondering if I'm missing something (new internal layout?) or you mixed up something.

MONSTER_2400WH_SIDE_B_720.jpg.dbf149a5e15f8b3558f53847e6fe7dbf.jpg.b05d666d0558259cf04bdb9acf16922d.jpg

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Doesn't the Monster have vertical packs, where the board is in the space where another vertical pack would fit? So any battery pack would always be off-center? And the imbalance is from the lack of pack in the 4th space where the board sits?  Are you talking about some mod (or the ACM/msuper where the packs lie horizontally and are centered above the axle)?

Wondering if I'm missing something (new internal layout?) or you mixed up something.

MONSTER_2400WH_SIDE_B_720.jpg.dbf149a5e15f8b3558f53847e6fe7dbf.jpg.b05d666d0558259cf04bdb9acf16922d.jpg

Yeah, you're correct of course. Not sure what I was thinking. I was just working in my ACM, so maybe that's my excuse :facepalm:

But I'm still right in that the Monster is massively unbalanced.