I think I found a serious issue on 16X

Vida Wang

Do you guys know that the weight of 16X'wheel is not proportional?

My 16X have some left-right direction wobbles when I bought it, and don't get an answer to this issue before. 

I never tried to spin it over the air, but I tried that today, then I found that the 16X has a regular shaking while it's spinning!

Just like the weight of the wheel is not proportional!

The feeling of the wheel like this:

ea45f19621f73dfc0acf171fc642c0d0d95d9dc5

Could anyone give me answer?

I think this is normal, because otherwise there would be no reason why wheels on cars and motorcycles would be balanced. A tire, tube or rim is rarely perfectly balanced. At the EUC even the motor is added, which is certainly not balanced. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, buell47 said:

I think this is normal, because otherwise there would be no reason why wheels on cars and motorcycles would be balanced. A tire, tube or rim is rarely perfectly balanced. At the EUC even the motor is added, which is certainly not balanced. 

Well, your words is plausible in some ways.

I also tested Nikola and MCM5, these two wheels are balanced.
And I think there should be a level to quantify the weight balancing cause it will make the wheel quite unstable if the weight difference is too large.
Now I feel very unstable when I riding the 16X if the speed over 40kph, I don't know what caused this, maybe is 1.07 firmware? Or the weight balance? But I don't remember the feeling when I just finished the update process to 1.07. I just remember my 16X is very smooth before. Now I feel hard to control.
Sorry, Neurasthenia makes me always forget things. 
Anyway, thank you for your reply, my friend.

7 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Does the tyre run optically round? Your 16X could have the same wrong fitted tire as my 16X, because the valve hole was drilled wrong.

I don't think so but I don't know how to check this. Could you help with this? I recorded a video,

Link here: https://openload.co/f/q-HxASbgEC8/20191020_154348_1.mp4

Backup: https://streamja.com/3Wwg

Thank you.

22 minutes ago, Vida Wang said:

I don't think so but I don't know how to check this. Could you help with this? I recorded a video,

I can't see the video with either link for some reason. Have you tried putting it on a stand and tilting to see if the wheel wobbles from side to side when it's spinning. We have seen an instance where the wheel moved side to side by like half an inch because it wasn't aligned properly to the axle. Also curious what @buell47 is talking about.

Can't see anything on the Video in this position. 

Best to make the video from the front or better lay the wheel on the side and rotate slowly by hand. Take anything you have at hand to do what I do on the picture and then turn the wheel by hand and watch if the distance changes. If it's only 1 millimeter, that shouldn't be a problem, if it's significantly more, it could be the problem.

20191021-194545.jpg

20191021-194629.jpg

37 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

Also curious what @buell47 is talking about.

Scroll down in my first post until you see the rim and tire. 

This is not an isolated case either!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

If I take the Monster or the Nikola+ offroad, I'll have to see if I get similar dust issues.

By "no isolated case" I mean only the problems with the 16X. I don't think you should have a similar problem with your Gotways. :efefe00999:

3 hours ago, buell47 said:

By "no isolated case" I mean only the problems with the 16X. I don't think you should have a similar problem with your Gotways. :efefe00999:

That said it is different from wheel to wheel even on same model

(I have seen pictures of wheels looking pristine inside, despite used heavy off road, and others that are filled with dirt from one ride). 

Edited by Unventor

11 hours ago, erk1024 said:

I can't see the video with either link for some reason. Have you tried putting it on a stand and tilting to see if the wheel wobbles from side to side when it's spinning. We have seen an instance where the wheel moved side to side by like half an inch because it wasn't aligned properly to the axle. Also curious what @buell47 is talking about.

I think yes. I upload the video to YouTube here: 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, buell47 said:

Can't see anything on the Video in this position. 

Best to make the video from the front or better lay the wheel on the side and rotate slowly by hand. Take anything you have at hand to do what I do on the picture and then turn the wheel by hand and watch if the distance changes. If it's only 1 millimeter, that shouldn't be a problem, if it's significantly more, it could be the problem.

20191021-194545.jpg

20191021-194629.jpg

Scroll down in my first post until you see the rim and tire. 

This is not an isolated case either!

The video here:

3 hours ago, Vida Wang said:

The video here:

How much is the difference between max and min gap about in millimeters?

Very interesting would be if this is "just" a tire asymmetriy or if it's from the rim!

Tire can be reseated properly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stephen said:

At the same time i was riding his he rode mine,, yes you guessed it wobbled lol😁 he said yours wobbles to,, i said neither wobbles you just have adjust to it (he's about 70kg)

Right, so he just needs more experience. It's not the wheel obviously.

• Like 1

It's common for bicycle wheels to require trueing, which is basically adjusting the spokes so that the wheel is perfectly straight and round.  You can still ride a bike with untuned wheels though, it wouldn't wobble like crazy or anything.

I don't know if there's any way to true a hub motor wheel, but it seems like that's what you're looking for.

22 hours ago, stephen said:

So yesterday i went to Blackpool and met the guy who won kuji giveaway (ks16x)

He said the wheels not right i can't go above 20mph without it wobbling it just wobbles all the time 

I said not you as well there's been so many complaints about this , so then i was eager to try it and find out the problems of some wheels behaviour,,, he has the same tyre as mine CX ,,

I lifted it up and it didn't run as true as my own, i think the tyre needed reseating ( it was only slight out and that was holding it in the air which always looks worse than it is)

Anyway...i rode it😬

Guess what...

Perfect ,,, same as mine no wobbles,i did fast acceleration fast brakes, ride it up and down ,, still perfect,,, fastest i ride usually is 28mph but mostly over 20s but no wobble issue what's so ever 👍

At the same time i was riding his he rode mine,, yes you guessed it wobbled lol😁 he said yours wobbles to,, i said neither wobbles you just have adjust to it (he's about 70kg)

Maybe it's my weight 200lbs or because I've got the z10 which also had complaints about wobbles when it first came out i dunno🤔

Not every wheel will ride the same,,, I'm not saying i don't get wobbles i do,,, but then again i get them with every wheel at some point but this is where your body/brain needs to adjust to them i don't even think about it if it happens something clicks in my brain and then adjust my feet/lean/brake/accelerate all in a split second ,

I'm glad I've ridden a wheel with a big wobble issue which ended up with no wobble issue I'd say the rider has got to give it chance and learn the characteristics of the wheel,, every wheel is different and won't always ride the same if they was true people wouldn't have so many wheels 😁

Ride it, learn it, and adjust to it 👍

Yeah. I like 16X so I tried to adjust myself with that wobbles on 16X, and it took about one month.

I sent my 16X back to the Kingsong today. And besides the bias, I found a bulge on the tyre.

I have reached the maximum number of posts I can make per day before, so I can't do a reply.

Edited by Vida Wang
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chriull said:

How much is the difference between max and min gap about in millimeters?

Very interesting would be if this is "just" a tire asymmetriy or if it's from the rim!

Tire can be reseated properly.

The initial gap is 2mm and of course, the value between maximum and minimum is over 2mm. You can see that in the video. I sent my 16X back to Kingsong today and I was reached the maximum number of posts I can make per day, so I can't say anything right here.

47 minutes ago, mythe00 said:

It's common for bicycle wheels to require trueing, which is basically adjusting the spokes so that the wheel is perfectly straight and round.  You can still ride a bike with untuned wheels though, it wouldn't wobble like crazy or anything.

I don't know if there's any way to true a hub motor wheel, but it seems like that's what you're looking for.

I sent my 16X back today, hope they can deal with it.

• Like 1