Side pads to accelerate

Mono

12 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

...Although, I like to keep my pads enough forward that I will have to crouch to reach them. Even at the steepest of inclines I still  have to bend my knees to reach them, so I can keep the CoG low.

Same with me!

:cheers:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

As for the stands, I'd have to think about it. They can be pretty long prints... Maybe I need to start my own print farm 😛

Just curious, ballpark what do you think it would take time wise to print a stand like this on a run-of-the-mill consumer-grade 3D printer, and ballpark estimate of how much the material cost is for the filament?

I have no experience in 3D printing myself but have been somewhat fascinated by them. Personally I made my stand out of a $3 1x2x8 piece of wood from Home Depot...seems to work pretty good and is pretty light. It Did of course take some time to glue it together and cut the wood. A little more manual labor then printing something would but not too much time really all things considered.

2 hours ago, Blueblade said:

Just curious, ballpark what do you think it would take time wise to print a stand like this on a run-of-the-mill consumer-grade 3D printer, and ballpark estimate of how much the material cost is for the filament?

I have no experience in 3D printing myself but have been somewhat fascinated by them. Personally I made my stand out of a $3 1x2x8 piece of wood from Home Depot...seems to work pretty good and is pretty light. It Did of course take some time to glue it together and cut the wood. A little more manual labor then printing something would but not too much time really all things considered.

Hmm, probably something like 12-16 hours, depending on how dense you want them to be. For cheap PLA, maybe $4 in material. The PLA I used for my stand, around $7 in material. :)

• Like 2

On 10/15/2019 at 3:46 PM, LanghamP said:

You don't need soft riding mode. The reason pumping gives you greater acceleration is entirely attributed to the considerably less circumference of the tire along its edge compared to its center. Any motorcyclist would know this, because RPMs rise when gently bending a bike into a corner.

I do now find myself using pumping motion for quick acceleration from stationary or slow, or for semi-hard braking.

Yes, fully agree. I do the same for acceleration and braking. 

3 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

Hmm, probably something like 12-16 hours, depending on how dense you want them to be. For cheap PLA, maybe $4 in material. The PLA I used for my stand, around $7 in material. :)

The biggest cost is actually simply the time it takes, and the fact that you can't use your printer for other stuff.

I printed a new fender for my Onewheel XR. It took me over 40 hours to print .... material cost: $20

• Like 2

On 10/15/2019 at 4:46 PM, LanghamP said:

You don't need soft riding mode. The reason pumping gives you greater acceleration is entirely attributed to the considerably less circumference of the tire along its edge compared to its center. Any motorcyclist would know this, because RPMs rise when gently bending a bike into a corner.

A serious question: Why don’t motorcycle riders use the same technique to accelerate faster?

I would really like to see this technique on video, but despite a few of us asking for months, no-one has wanted to make one. Considering that so many riders like to do instructional videos and video reviews, I’m not sure what to think about this one technique being so camera shy.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

A serious question: Why don’t motorcycle riders use the same technique to accelerate faster?

Because they don't need to.

From standstill you have so much power you can overpower the motorcycle and get it into a wheelie that would send you crashing on your back. So no need for even more acceleration

The above explanation does not mean I believe in this technique actually working.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

From standstill you have so much power you can overpower the motorcycle

LOL... If KingSong made motorcycles, what would they sound like when accelerating from traffic lights?

”WARNING, OVERPOWER!”

:roflmao:

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Because they don't need to.

From standstill you have so much power you can overpower the motorcycle and get it into a wheelie that would send you crashing on your back. So no need for even more acceleration

Totally agree with on this but also wanted to mention a couple of smaller points. Motorcycles have gears so there's no requirement to try and reduce the rear wheel size by weaving. Also, if you're fully accelerating and weaving from side to side then you're very likely to loose traction. Spinning the rear tyre doesn't matter so much if you're going in a straight line but if you're banked over then it will take considerable skill (and nerve) not to crash.

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I’m not sure what to think about this one technique being so camera shy.

It seems quite obvious that the effect of this mechanism should be very limited and also hard to catch on a camera.

2 hours ago, Mono said:

It seems quite obvious that the effect of this mechanism should be very limited and also hard to catch on a camera.

Effects, sure, but I was hoping to see the technique itself being explained or showed. If it really will decrease the effective tire diameter by any meaningful amount, the movement (or other method to achieve the effect) can not be very small.

• Like 2