The KS-18L/XL is getting a seat. Opinions?

seage

4 minutes ago, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

FYI: Finally discovered it on Ali today and went for it immediately :wub:.  If you might be interested too just look for seller or item phrase shown below. I will try to give a review when I recieve it but this might take some (delivery) time...:eff006f726:

image.thumb.png.404116965a85f686a97f118969ac08b9.png

I guess you missed @RoberAce seated videos. 

Ohh my bad, I didn't see it was for 18L/XL

Edited by Unventor
I didn't see model.
  • Like 2

I'd love to ride seated, but worry about the shell to pedal bracket junction.
My 18XL is from before the white plastic. (even then, wouldn't it need some structural ribs too?)

Maybe we should not worry to much about KS-18XL´s structural weakness therein. For static load (just you and your gear) the shell and its junction should be able to bear it easily at all. Partial overload in my opinion only could happen when there are dynamic load components for example when crossing curbs or potholes so you are right regarding that of course. This also seems to be a bad idea because there is nearly no shock absorbing item between the tire and your bum. Riding seated in this way could easily send you airborne besides from damaging the wheel.

But from what I´ve seen in videos and comments seated riding is used as a concept for intermittend relief during "active" riding. I never saw someone riding downhill fast mountain trails while sitting on his wheel :shock2:. So I think primary use is only during calm periods on planar surfaces where you don´t have to expect disruptions.

I hope I´m not mistaken... :rolleyes:

Edited by Mimetic Polyalloy

On 11/26/2019 at 5:51 PM, Unventor said:

I guess you missed @RoberAce seated videos. 

Ohh my bad, I didn't see it was for 18L/XL

Haha, yep. I looove his videos, but hes on the 16 as you noticed XDD. But im sure watching how he sits on it will help with the 18 as well since they're close to the same height with the seat if im not mistaken. Im really curious to see how this works out. 

48 minutes ago, seage said:

Haha, yep. I looove his videos, but hes on the 16 as you noticed XDD. But im sure watching how he sits on it will help with the 18 as well since they're close to the same height with the seat if im not mistaken. Im really curious to see how this works out. 

Yes more or less 59-60cm high...shape is different and KS16X has higher pedals, about 1 or 2cm. 

• Like 1

Just saw this. Not sure if Adam U is on these forums, but i'd love to hear his opinions: 

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

Yes more or less 59-60cm high...shape is different and KS16X has higher pedals, about 1 or 2cm. 

The way my buddy rides his 16X is like a bat out of hell. While i casually cruise to catchup, lol. I suppose that pedal height and fat tire really help offroad. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Enthusiast said:

I just got my seat bought from Vicky at Kingsong. It fits perfectly. It also seem soft in a good way so there is probably some absorbing capacity in the seat. Although I agree with the comment above that I will only use it for temporary relief during longer rides and when the surface is fairly smooth. The seat is very lightweight so it is easy to put in backpack if you want to use the trolley handle. So... ...how is to ride seated? Good question! I will report back on that later. I haven't been riding for 6 month for various reasons so I simply need to refresh before daring to take on seated riding.

Ohh so you are from Gothenburg area too. I would love to see you ride your KS18L/XL seated. 

Im not seeing any "before and after" videos on these seats yet. So im still waiting, haha. 

Its winter and very cold, so im not riding much. Just waiting and watching. 

Similar situation to me of course. Weather is bad and wheel is stored in the basement since end of October :efee8c29ce:... I received my KS-18L seat some days ago and can confirm @Enthusiast ´s observation. Quality is better than expected and really fits well on wheel ´s upper side. We should have in mind that its type of stick-on connection is not save at all so I´m thinking of some kind of velcro type solution.

Being so curious I started some training in my basement with (of course limited) seated riding (or manouvering). It feels more natural than expected at a measured height of  64 cm (25,2"). KS-18S as the very masterpiece has 71 cm (28") if I´m right. From my first impression I think top skill to learn is get in right position when sitting down. Keeping your dominant hand at seat´s frontside when sitting down might help a lot. But I have to work on it...

Edited by Mimetic Polyalloy
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 1:43 PM, seage said:

Just saw this. Not sure if Adam U is on these forums, but i'd love to hear his opinions: 

The way my buddy rides his 16X is like a bat out of hell. While i casually cruise to catchup, lol. I suppose that pedal height and fat tire really help offroad. 

Hi Seage- I finally just read your post now. My name is Ethereal on this forum and also known as Adam U on YouTube. I hardly get on this forum. I love this custom KS seat. I ride seated whenever my legs get tired. I weigh 205 lbs. and I am 5’11 and this seat fits me well. So far the shell on my KS18L has been able to tolerate my weight but I only use the seat for a minute or two. That’s enough to give me the second wind to keep going on my KS18L. I did wrap some Velcro on the trolley handle to make the fit tighter. I still highly recommend the custom seat.

Edited by Ethereal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethereal said:

..... I did wrap some Velcro on the trolley handle to make the fit tighter. I still highly recommend the custom seat.

I just received my seat for the 18XL.  In my static trial I noticed that the seat wants to come up with me when I stand.  

I tried Scotch brand "Velcro". The adhesive sticks great on the handle but not on the seat material.  I'm planning to reglue the seat strips with E6000.  But first I am going to try your wrapping the handle suggestion.

Bruce

20 hours ago, PennBruce said:

I just received my seat for the 18XL.  In my static trial I noticed that the seat wants to come up with me when I stand.  

I tried Scotch brand "Velcro". The adhesive sticks great on the handle but not on the seat material.  I'm planning to reglue the seat strips with E6000.  But first I am going to try your wrapping the handle suggestion.

Bruce

You can use anything on the trolley handle to make the fit tighter, eg. rubber tourniquet, old tire tube, Velcro wrap, etc. The Velcro wrap around made the fit quite tight and the seat has never fallen off in the past few months. 

• Like 1

Sounds like 18xl could use some carbon fiber strengthening!!! Inner and what the hell...outer...👍

What about putting a rod through the seat, and under the handle? Will not be able to quickly take seat off, though...I guess the added rubber is better route...

Edited by MetricUSA

14 hours ago, Ethereal said:

You can use anything on the trolley handle to make the fit tighter, eg. rubber tourniquet, old tire tube, Velcro wrap, etc. The Velcro wrap around made the fit quite tight and the seat has never fallen off in the past few months. 

Thanks for the suggestion,

The "Velcro" strips were a failure.  My favorite adhesive wouldn't bond the strips onto the seat bottom.  

I then did a couple of wraps around the handle with Wilson tennis racquet wrap.  That makes the seat much more secure.   It doesn't come up with me when I stand.  Self-amalgamating electrical tape should work as well.

I did make it down to the seat once.  I promptly fell off the back.  Fortunately my riding shirt has a  back protector.   I'm not raising my heels as I go down to keep pressure on the front of the pedals. I start slowing down and have to stand up before I lose control.

More squats are in my future to improve my flexibility.

Bruce

9 hours ago, PennBruce said:

Thanks for the suggestion,

The "Velcro" strips were a failure.  My favorite adhesive wouldn't bond the strips onto the seat bottom.  

I then did a couple of wraps around the handle with Wilson tennis racquet wrap.  That makes the seat much more secure.   It doesn't come up with me when I stand.  Self-amalgamating electrical tape should work as well.

I did make it down to the seat once.  I promptly fell off the back.  Fortunately my riding shirt has a  back protector.   I'm not raising my heels as I go down to keep pressure on the front of the pedals. I start slowing down and have to stand up before I lose control.

More squats are in my future to improve my flexibility.

Bruce

dont sit back as you would on a normal chair, go into a forward squat as if you were bending down to pick up something in front of you then ease your butt onto the seat.. takes a bit to get the hang of it but will come naturally soon enough

When I made that KS18L custom video above I was not fully relaxed with my leg muscles when seated. The following day, my quadriceps were sore. It took several more tries in my practice to get really comfortable with seated riding to be able to really relax my quadriceps while only my metatarsals were touching the pedals.

You first have to get used to that new sensation when riding seated and learn to trust the wheel. Do not lean too far forward. When you want to accelerate put more pressure on the front seat with your hand as if riding a bronco but not too much. You do so by grabbing the front of the seat with one arm, so you push off with the arm to lift your butt and re-seat/scrunch, alternating arm-butt-arm-butt, helps you keep relatively balanced and centered over the wheel the whole ride for unexpected events. 

On 4/21/2020 at 9:35 PM, Rywokast said:

dont sit back as you would on a normal chair, go into a forward squat as if you were bending down to pick up something in front of you then ease your butt onto the seat.. takes a bit to get the hang of it but will come naturally soon enough

I'm getting there slowly.  Question, how do you brake when seated?  Shift body weight back?

Bruce

3 hours ago, PennBruce said:

I'm getting there slowly.  Question, how do you brake when seated?  Shift body weight back?

Bruce

at the same time as pressing down with your heels yea

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 2:06 AM, Imstu said:

Where can you buy this seat in the U.S.? Thru Jason (Ewheels)? Does anyone know the current price on it? Thank you for your time.

i bought it for $90 USD including shipping from Vicky Huang. Just FB message her. I received the  seat within a week. https://www.facebook.com/VickyElectricUnicyclescooter

Edited by Ethereal

On 4/21/2020 at 6:31 AM, MetricUSA said:

Sounds like 18xl could use some carbon fiber strengthening!!! Inner and what the hell...outer...👍

What about putting a rod through the seat, and under the handle? Will not be able to quickly take seat off, though...I guess the added rubber is better route...

I know the shell is not as tough as the KS18S seat but I only sit for a couple minutes and that even makes a difference in decreasing foot fatigue. I have used the seat for months and the shell has not broken. I am 5’11” and 200 lbs. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...