The KS-18L/XL is getting a seat. Opinions?

seage

ohhhh very nice! i will definitely have to pick that up as sitting by squatting in midair gets tiresome after a while haha.. its foam and takes up the entirity of the top of the euc so i would imagine it would be distributed fairly evenly.. at least for my weight i have zero worries about it,, i also have the white inner frame.. which puzzles me why its white but whatever as long as its not prone to cracking lol..

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

ohhhh very nice! i will definitely have to pick that up as sitting by squatting in midair gets tiresome after a while haha.. its foam and takes up the entirity of the top of the euc so i would imagine it would be distributed fairly evenly.. at least for my weight i have zero worries about it,, i also have the white inner frame.. which puzzles me why its white but whatever as long as its not prone to cracking lol..

From what I've been told, the black innerframes were discontinued due to being weaker. Something about the color, or whatever was in the compound to make it black actually made it more prone to breaking. I dont have the details. I think it may have been ecodrift that talked about the upgraded white innerframes. And when i ordered my replacement, thats what they sent me, with the new lift sensor. 

Im a bit heavier. Im still working on getting that down. And now that im actively talking to ladies again, you can bet your ass im working even harder, LOL. More range, and girls. Thats the fuel to make me healthy. I have a problem. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, seage said:

From what I've been told, the black innerframes were discontinued due to being weaker. Something about the color, or whatever was in the compound to make it black actually made it more prone to breaking. I dont have the details. I think it may have been ecodrift that talked about the upgraded white innerframes. And when i ordered my replacement, thats what they sent me, with the new lift sensor. 

Im a bit heavier. Im still working on getting that down. And now that im actively talking to ladies again, you can bet your ass im working even harder, LOL. More range, and girls. Thats the fuel to make me healthy. I have a problem. 

ahhh I see, interesting that previous models and the 16X don't suffer from this O.o hahaha nice

3 hours ago, Rywokast said:

ahhh I see, interesting that previous models and the 16X don't suffer from this O.o hahaha nice

They actually went back and changed all the inner shells of the 16x to white. (From what i saw). XD

1 hour ago, seage said:

They actually went back and changed all the inner shells of the 16x to white. (From what i saw). XD

really??? first ive heard of it lmao.. wtf weird something in their black plastic,, strange that i havent heard of shell cracking on any other KS wheel which all have black inner shells?? i assumed it was simply a weakness in the design and they ran out of black shells so thats why mine was white lmao.. very weird

2 hours ago, Rywokast said:

really??? first ive heard of it lmao.. wtf weird something in their black plastic,, strange that i havent heard of shell cracking on any other KS wheel which all have black inner shells?? i assumed it was simply a weakness in the design and they ran out of black shells so thats why mine was white lmao.. very weird

I was told about the cracking shells from people on the forums, but i never thought it would happen to me. Until it did, lmao. SO i had to deal with the lame ass transfer to the new case. IT was horrible, haha. But yeah, ive never heard of it either, and I havent heard about it with the white cases either. Unless someone wants to pipe up with pictures of their busted cases. I wonder what the inside of the 18s looks like, and how they managed to keep it from snapping. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seage said:

I was told about the cracking shells from people on the forums, but i never thought it would happen to me. Until it did, lmao. SO i had to deal with the lame ass transfer to the new case. IT was horrible, haha. But yeah, ive never heard of it either, and I havent heard about it with the white cases either. Unless someone wants to pipe up with pictures of their busted cases. I wonder what the inside of the 18s looks like, and how they managed to keep it from snapping. 

sounds horrible... like this 

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:36 PM, seage said:

From what I've been told, the black innerframes were discontinued due to being weaker

I'd be keen to know your source... This is the first that I have heard of it and I communicate regularly with King Song. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 5:29 PM, seage said:

Saw people asking Vicky about it for quite some time, and she finally said "Okay!" then they started working on them. Seems like its a month out and they're doing preorder but theres no price listed. A friend told me it'll be the same as the 16X seat. Which I also don't know the price of, lmao. But heres the render of it. 

The seat(s) for the 16X and 18L are being made by a third party... So until they actually reach the riders, we may not know the quality of them and how they actually ride.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:29 AM, seage said:

Saw people asking Vicky about it for quite some time, and she finally said "Okay!" then they started working on them. Seems like its a month out and they're doing preorder but theres no price listed. A friend told me it'll be the same as the 16X seat. Which I also don't know the price of, lmao. But heres the render of it. 

What do you guys think? I recently had to fit my XL with a new inner frame as my last one broke, but I now have the white frame, which is holding up beautifully. I havent heard any reports on that frame breaking before, but people werent sitting on it. Ive seen people warn against it and so on, so what are we thinking about this official one? The way its positioned, will it help distribute weight? Are other big wheels with seats made differently to allow them to hold the users weight safely/more efficiently? 

I did a search to see if this thread was already made and didnt see it so i made it. If im wrong, mods, please feel free to delete my thread! Thanks!

70476316_529720314237094_2779034150512885760_n.jpg

Very exited and thanks a lot for sharing that content! I would like to buy that add-on seat blindfolded because I´ve always been a great admirer of the 18S concept. My 18L  fulfills most of my needs but I´m still getting tired after some additional miles requesting ongoing breaks. This might be a perfect solution.

I would be glad for any  information where to buy on Ali or elsewhere.

Edited by Mimetic Polyalloy
typo mismatch

On 9/13/2019 at 6:08 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I'd be keen to know your source... This is the first that I have heard of it and I communicate regularly with King Song. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more

I tried to pm you but it wouldn't go through, but it may just be a mobile thing so I'll try when I get home. It wasn't directly from kingsong as they didn't answer me directly when I asked about it. It was from ecodrift from a translated page. And if my memory serves me correctly, it was also repeated in a video they made. I didn't want to state the original statement as fact though which is why I made sure to add that I didn't have all the details and added that "I heard". But I can go back and edit it to be clearer if necessary. I don't want to accidentally spread false information as facts. When I got my new case, they didnt seem to have any in black with the new lift sensors. It would be great to know for sure though. I'll try to pm you the sources when I get home if I can find them again. 

On 9/13/2019 at 6:08 AM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

The seat(s) for the 16X and 18L are being made by a third party... So until they actually reach the riders, we may not know the quality of them and how they actually ride.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to order one of the first batch and be a guinea pig for it, so we'll see. Haha. I'll be sure to film my progress if learning to sit down, successfully sitting down, then breaking my frame for everyone. 

• Like 2

I've been recommended against getting the seat, due to the construction of the XL. The way the shell connects to the pedal arms is pretty garbo. Im guessing it would be worse if you're heavier like myself. Ive already had to fix my wheel after a break. I really wanted to just get it anyways, but im rethinking it now since i dont want to have to fix the shell a 2nd time. 

Im actually suprised that, when kingsong went to make the new white shells (with the upgraded lift sensor) that in that moment they didnt think "Lets make a stronger binding spot here since this is where all the problems stem from" like, why wouldnt they reinforce it like their other wheels?

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2019 at 6:37 AM, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

Some new pics from KS FB Page (dated 11-03-19) below, just if haven´t seen already:

image.thumb.png.785ff1666c28afef0397739defbccdaf.png

image.thumb.png.621e0c7ca1a3d697cd85755b8ab75c3d.png

image.thumb.png.9b4a029910a7381f58f0b002000cf553.png

image.thumb.png.80ae6b2d12b982274597254d0468c4e7.png

I hope this will be available soon. The comment is a little cryptic to me...

image.png.a0e177190a19df04c8fa2c9d0b13cef7.png

I saw this post. But i've yet to see any real world videos or photos or reviews, so.....

But honestly, at this point, it really does just feel safer to buy a wheel with a case thats more robust and had sitting in mind. When you make a wheel that can travel as far as these, you'd think that would be one of the features. And it has been for everyone else. Even the 18s and so on, was made with a seat in mind, so its so strange to me that they kinda backtracked with their more powerful wheel, haha. 

That's a good point you mentioned. I already thought about a DIY solution with some kind of struts mounted from the pedal hangers and leading upside to the top. There they could host some item for bolting on a bicycle seat or else. Maybe this could figure out like similar solutions for the Nikola MSX shown by @Marty Backe i.e (If I remember correctly).

Although for checking out that "seated riding" experience I would be glad for a not-so-perfect solution like shown above :rolleyes:. Ordering a KS18S as a 4th wheel would get me into serious trouble at home :ph34r:...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joker10 said:

If the case is a little flimsy for seated riding they could design some support legs that contact the pedals to take the weight off the body. 

Thats what I was thinking about before. 

6 hours ago, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

I already thought about a DIY solution with some kind of struts mounted from the pedal hangers and leading upside to the top. There they could host some item for bolting on a bicycle seat or else. Maybe this could figure out like similar solutions for the Nikola MSX shown by @Marty Backe i.e (If I remember correctly).

Yep. I was thinking of something that came up from the pedal hangers at the side when I thought about ways aroudn this. If i was an engineer, i'd love to make something. I even had an idea for how it could not interfere with the handle in the center of the body. Well a couple of ideas. Even with the official seat, having take some of that weight and placing it on the pedals would help so much. They're made for it. The plastic body isnt. 

Do we have any Kingsong DIY enthusiasts that would like to take up the challenge? Lol. 

It's crazy that the manufacturer releases an "official seat" for plastic shell that was not designed to withstand 120kg of weight. (official rating for regular stand-on-pedals riding) A crack in the plastic where it attaches to pedal hangers can cause a sudden shell deformation and tilt of the gyro, sending the rider flying. 3rd party seats are one thing (they don't care), but the manufacturer making it "official"?

2 minutes ago, Aneta said:

It's crazy that the manufacturer releases an "official seat" for plastic shell that was not designed to withstand 120kg of weight. (official rating for regular stand-on-pedals riding) A crack in the plastic where it attaches to pedal hangers can cause a sudden shell deformation and tilt of the gyro, sending the rider flying. 3rd party seats are one thing (they don't care), but the manufacturer making it "official"?

Well to be fair, they have mentioned that it is made by a 3rd party. But they have been promoting it through official kingsong channels which is very surprising to me, given their reputation for saftey and basically never taking risks. Seems like such an odd move

Even with smaller and lighter riders in china, a good impact whilst sitting down can break the case. My case broke once and it was a pain. But its not like a sudden snap and you're doing front flips. Its slow and gets worse over time. (Or at least thats how mine and my friends were)

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: Finally discovered it on Ali today and went for it immediately :wub:.  If you might be interested too just look for seller or item phrase shown below. I will try to give a review when I recieve it but this might take some (delivery) time...:eff006f726:

image.thumb.png.404116965a85f686a97f118969ac08b9.png