Downvote Discussion

34 minutes ago, Harvey Pooka said:

As an aside, I didn't know downvotes took away reputation points. I owe Marty an upvote now just to restore the point I took away from him. You will receive an upvote from me for your next post . . . no matter how incoherent, ill conceived or poorly punctuated it may be.)

You coupd also just take back your downvote - there's a small black cross near it waiting to be touched :D

• Upvote 1

There are good arguments for various courses of action.

Right now, as it has been used, the Downvote button simply doesn't mean you disagree with something (or even if something is clearly wrong). It's not about the content of the post. It's about whether the post is a bad post in itself (bad faith, trolling, too low standard, extreme content, etc.). It's not a middle finger in my opinion, but a strong "Did you have to post this?!" statement. So it appears very rarely and is good info to the poster and staff.

A few options, say your opinion and add more if you want:

• Keep everything as it is - it keeps the positive highlighted (easy "Like" click), even though having the upvote there is confusing, I never know which to use.
  • Remove the Like (which does exactly the same as the upvote) and just have up- and downvote
  • Just have "Like" and nothing else.
  • 4 options: Good post/Upvote (+1 rep) - Like (also +1 rep) - Disagree (+/-0 rep) - Bad post/Downvote (-1 rep) (so the middle ones are about the content and the outer ones are about the post itself)
  • 3 options: Like (+1) - Disagree (+/-0) - Bad post (-1) - also not bad, maybe simpler, but maybe too much emphasis on the negative.
Edited by meepmeepmayer

41 minutes ago, Esso said:

Imagine EUCs becoming so popular that brand loyalty turns into full on flame wars ala Xbox vs Playstation, lol. Probably unlikely.

That's the thing I like about this community. Flame wars do nothing to help one another out.  We want EUC technology to progress, yet staying a niche hobby is what makes it very special.

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2019 at 8:23 PM, chrisjunlee said:

My favorite thing is seeing someone with a fresh account commenting on one of my topics - it shows I positively inspired that person enough to overcome the friction of creating an account to comment. And I love being the first person to give them their first heart react 💖.

Says the guy who gets busted creating puppet accounts in order to make friends and influence people.

You just can't make this stuff up!

(Well I guess some can) 💩

• Like 3