Downvote Discussion

16 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

It doesn’t seem bizarre to me. Apparently two people don’t like what he said.  It’s irrelevant if what he said is true or not.  One thing I’ve learned in my short time of being here is that people defend their individual investments in different ways but usually staunchly.  Some people will make a direct comment disagreeing with what the person says and others just down vote it. 

Well you know what they say, you can’t make everyone happy, not even if you sell ice cream. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

It doesn’t seem bizarre to me. Apparently two people don’t like what he said.  It’s irrelevant if what he said is true or not.  One thing I’ve learned in my short time of being here is that people defend their individual investments in different ways but usually staunchly.  Some people will make a direct comment disagreeing with what the person says and others just down vote it. 

@chrisjunlee Lol.  I didn’t down vote  your dude. 

Just now, Garrie Lim said:

Well you know what they say, you can’t make everyone happy, not even if you sell ice cream. 

You can make me happy with ice cream. Chocolate and vanilla please. :-)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Historically (3-years for me), people have not been down-voted on this Forum very often. So I still see this as an abnormality, for this Forum.

I see a down-vote on this Forum as a person giving the other person the middle finger. Maybe that's a harsh view, but it's my perception given the context of how this Forum operates.

So I see increased down-votes as a bad sign for this Forum

Ah I see. Well just for the record I’ve never used it here including his post above.  Perhaps some people just think of it as a way of disagreeing.  IDK

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Historically (3-years for me), people have not been down-voted on this Forum very often. So I still see this as an abnormality, for this Forum.

I see a down-vote on this Forum as a person giving the other person the middle finger. Maybe that's a harsh view, but it's my perception given the context of how this Forum operates.

I have a more optimistic view :)

Coming from reddit, 90% of people don't upvote - they downvote. This is my hypothesis, but I believe it comes from not really having any investment in a community (to nurture and grow it), and the threshold for negative feelings triggering action (the effort to downvote) is much lower. 

So in my opinion, we're growing as a community, and getting more and more of the mainstream. 

My favorite thing is seeing someone with a fresh account commenting on one of my topics - it shows I positively inspired that person enough to overcome the friction of creating an account to comment. And I love being the first person to give them their first heart react 💖.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

@Marty Backe Just kidding about my downvote on this. :) It was just too tempting.

Edited by Harvey Pooka
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, I know that we have the Downvote button, but it is so rarely used that to see your post downvoted twice for an innocuous comment seems, bizarre.

I agree Marty that @chrisjunlee ‘s comment was not offensive at all. When it comes to slots his three colorful  ‘2’ s in a row is a winner in my book,

48628194237_eb8ac2f8c0_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

OMG, those editing skills 💯😂🤣

You get a cookie 🍪.

Just a fun way to add some diplomatic humor. Cookie please, 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I've been tempted to say my mind and even to press the downvote button. To what end... it doesn't matter. The Universe always present a lesson. Besides, we have cross cultural, generational and life stage differences. I'm just enjoying the show.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

downvoted twice for an innocuous comment seems, bizarre.

Bizarre?  Yes, if you are under the assumption that the downvote button is for harmful or offensive comments.  I voted his comment down for complicated reasons as a way to say “nay” rather than to have to go into unnecessary detail.  Then one other person seemed to acknowledge what I was thinking.  I then followed by downvoting your comment on the matter simply for your attempts at virtue signaling.   I think Chris can handle himself fine without your help as he’s already proven by his past volley of constructive criticism from more than a few members.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, CampDylan said:

Bizarre?  Yes, if you are under the assumption that the downvote button is for harmful or offensive comments.  I voted his comment down for complicated reasons as a way to say “nay” rather than to have to go into unnecessary detail.  Then one other person seemed to acknowledge what I was thinking.  I then followed by downvoting your comment on the matter simply for your attempts at virtue signaling.   I think Chris can handle himself fine without your help as he’s already proven by his past volley of constructive criticism from more than a few members.

Be careful, else you might lose your special reputation score!

4CCBEA52-366F-4EA1-9E8E-26E3859EF23B.jpeg

4 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Wow, I know that we have the Downvote button, but it is so rarely used ...

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

...  Some people will make a direct comment disagreeing with what the person says and others just down vote it. 

There are appearently two ways to use the downvote button.

One is to show ones opinion to the posted content (agree/disagree - like in ?reddit?)

The other is to show that one is disliking the post "at all", or even

32 minutes ago, CampDylan said:

... Yes, if you are under the assumption that the downvote button is for harmful or offensive comments.  

32 minutes ago, CampDylan said:

I voted his comment down for complicated reasons as a way to say “nay” rather than to have to go into unnecessary detail.  

This is the "harmless" use of the downvote button, which is used by some members and very seldomly here in the forum overall.

So unfortionately the red arrow down, taking a member irrevocably a reputation point is mostly received as an assault. As there is this ambiguity - a reply is (most times) clear to understand for a poster.

Should be an occasion for us moderators to discuss the usefullness of this downvote button at all - since it's seldomly used and leads mostly just to bad feelings...

... or at least write in the forum rules how to use/understand the button?!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CampDylan said:

I then followed by downvoting your comment on the matter simply for your attempts at virtue signaling.

Marty wasn't trying to virtue signal or anything like that - he's the furthest thing from ego on this forum. I really appreciate him voicing his opinion though, as well as yours, as all input serve to calibrate me :)

2 hours ago, CampDylan said:

I think Chris can handle himself fine without your help as he’s already proven by his past volley of constructive criticism from more than a few members.

You mean more like me showing up at a kumbaya campfire splashing gasoline and wondering why I caught on fire 🔥🐻

1 hour ago, Chriull said:

So unfortionately the red arrow down, taking a member irrevocably a reputation point is mostly received as an assault.

Didn't know it deducted from our reputation points. Woo, I'm still in the positive 

6 hours ago, Chriull said:

There are appearently two ways to use the downvote button.

One is to show ones opinion to the posted content (agree/disagree - like in ?reddit?)

The other is to show that one is disliking the post "at all", or even

This is the "harmless" use of the downvote button, which is used by some members and very seldomly here in the forum overall.

So unfortionately the red arrow down, taking a member irrevocably a reputation point is mostly received as an assault. As there is this ambiguity - a reply is (most times) clear to understand for a poster.

Should be an occasion for us moderators to discuss the usefullness of this downvote button at all - since it's seldomly used and leads mostly just to bad feelings...

... or at least write in the forum rules how to use/understand the button?!

If you use downvote to say you disagree it should not be decreasing a user's reputation. That makes no sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

If you use downvote to say you disagree it should not be decreasing a user's reputation. That makes no sense.

I didn’t even know it did that. I agree with you. 

1 minute ago, Blueblade said:

Perhaps in addition to a downvote button for harmless disagreement types of things, there should be a middle finger button, that does away reputation points? 😀

:roflmao:

10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I’ve been thinking about this since we talked about it last night plus reading everybody’s opinion on it.  Why don’t you guys on the staff make the down vote not count against somebody’s reputation?  That would fix it and then give people a way to show that they disagree with the posters remarks.  Chris stated that he thought Ian and Kuji couldn’t be objective with their reviews because of their ties to the manufactures.  Two people apparently disagreed with his statement on that. There’s nothing wrong with that. I don’t think they meant anything disrespectful other than disagreeing. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I’ve been thinking about this since we talked about it last night plus reading everybody’s opinion on it.  Why don’t you guys on the staff make the down vote not count against somebody’s reputation?  That would fix it and then give people a way to show that they disagree with the posters remarks.

That's the way the reputation system of this forum software works - up and downvoting changes directly the users reputation - so its intented to be used to mark positive or negative posts. Not a disagreement with "just" the content.

In contrary reddit works with the up/downvoting on the score of a distinct post. (Afaik)

We are just looking what can be done and what we will to do about it.

• Like 1

The one thing about this forum,  speaking much to @Marty Backe's point, is this forum has a high quality of membership/participation, not much in the way of trollish behavior, etc. Most people are generally friendly and helpful,(maybe the moderators just do an excellent job), and I hope it stays that way.  Not sure how much reputation tracking activity contributes to people being nice and or finding/flagging "less helpful" people who repeatedly are posting disrespectful or otherwise unpleasant things.