Do you get speed/braking wobbles on your KS-16X

Jon Stern

Do you get speed/braking wobbles on your KS-16X  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get speed/braking wobbles on your KS-16X (with stock tire)?

• Yes - my riding weight is <150lbs
    • No - my riding weight is <150lbs
    • Yes - my riding weight is 150-180lbs
    • No - my riding weight is 150-180lbs
    • Yes - my riding weight is >180lbs
    • No - my riding weight is >180lbs

19 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

I too came to the 16X from a V8.

The staying upright is the gyro (gyroscopic) effect. This seems to be stronger on the no-name stock tire of the first batch. I presume this is due to the mass of the tire.

That's what I'm going to like tbh 😊

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 11:08 PM, Reggie510 said:

I'm 162 lbs and I experience the wobbles when I decelerate from medium to high speeds. Just got my KS 16X yesterday, so I haven't had a lot of time with it, perhaps a couple hours. I'm coming from a V8 (400 miles), and I have to say that I feel significantly less safe on it, mostly because I don't trust that it won't throw me off if I need to brake suddenly in traffic.

I had exactly the same (I weight a little bit more). I swapped my tyre and the problems are gone. It can still wobble on braking, but now I can control it, and locking my knees eliminates it nearly completely.

• Like 1

I just received my 16X yesterday. I’ve only ridden it 8km so far, but have attempted high speed braking...

what i I realised is that the wobbles tend to occur if the space between your calf’s and side pads are visible. However, when I really tuck my calf’s in and lightly grip the wheel, there is no wobble. 

6 hours ago, Garrie Lim said:

However, when I really tuck my calf’s in and lightly grip the wheel, there is no wobble. 

You have to admit it's absolutely not comfortable doing this. There should be bigger side pads at the top to facilitate this. 

But in the end, for me it's still a workaround. I have had plenty of wheels that don't wobble when you brake hard, without shell clamping. Also when I brake my euc is in front of me, greatly reducing the contact surface between my legs and the machine. Clamping it becomes nearly impossible.

2 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

You have to admit it's absolutely not comfortable doing this. There should be bigger side pads at the top to facilitate this. 

But in the end, for me it's still a workaround. I have had plenty of wheels that don't wobble when you brake hard, without shell clamping. Also when I brake my euc is in front of me, greatly reducing the contact surface between my legs and the machine. Clamping it becomes nearly impossible.

I got 50 miles yesterday on my 16 X. I tried and tried and tried to get it to wobble when braking and I couldn’t do it.   My tire is at 20 PSI 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I got 50 miles yesterday on my 16 X. I tried and tried and tried to get it to wobble when braking and I couldn’t do it.   My tire is at 20 PSI 

I can't get it to wobble either at 20PSI, even with the original tyre. For me that pressure is way too low. It will flex and stress the sidewalls a lot. I ride at 30psi. 

42 minutes ago, Meserias said:

Patton250: 20PSI ?! .... what's your body + euc total weight ?
you are risking to have a surprise tire puncture at such low pressure

I am 162 pounds. Lots of people ride their wheels at 20 PSI. I’ve ridden this thing at 30 psi and if the manufacturer said it’s that or nothing then I would get rid of this thing. Riding at 25 psi or higher I think this wheel sucks.  It’s remarkably unenjoyable at that pressure.  So if you’re telling me it’s unsafe at that psi and the manufacture says so also then this thing will be on the for sale board tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

I can't get it to wobble either at 20PSI, even with the original tyre. For me that pressure is way too low. It will flex and stress the sidewalls a lot. I ride at 30psi. 

I tried it at 30 psi.  No wonder so many of you are complaining about this thing saying they are scared and don’t feel safe. I totally agree at 30 psi this wheel sucks. It’s awful.  It’s all over the place and remarkably unstable. I’m sure it does wobble among many other things at 30 psi. I have my Z10 at 18 PSI and my Nikola at 25 PSI. All are very enjoyable at those pressures 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

I tried it at 30 psi.  No wonder so many of you are complaining about this thing saying they are scared and don’t feel safe. I totally agree at 30 psi this wheel sucks. It’s awful.  It’s all over the place and remarkably unstable. I’m sure it does wobble among many other things at 30 psi. I have my Z10 at 18 PSI and my Nikola at 25 PSI. All are very enjoyable at those pressures 

Ride it at whatever pressure you prefer. The downsides of low pressure are shorter tyre life, shorter range due to tyre losses (flexing sidewalls), greater chance of denting your rim and greater chance of punctures. If you accept all of these disadvantages, then go ahead and ride it how you like it. The Z10 tyre looks like its been designed to run at low pressure as it has very little sidewall and is very fat at 4 inches. I run my V8 tyre at 50 psi.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Nic said:

Ride it at whatever pressure you prefer. The downsides of low pressure are shorter tyre life, shorter range due to tyre losses (flexing sidewalls), greater chance of denting your rim and greater chance of punctures. If you accept all of these disadvantages, then go ahead and ride it how you like it. The Z10 tyre looks like its been designed to run at low pressure as it has very little sidewall and is very fat at 4 inches. I run my V8 tyre at 50 psi.

I disagree with you a list of disadvantages but even if they were all true it’s still better than the wheel sucks.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I disagree with you a list of disadvantages but even if they were all true it’s still better than the wheel sucks.  

They are all true and you can check for yourself by asking google. If you take an extreme case and drive your car with a deflated tyre you will notice the drag and your tyre will be shredded very quickly. I was thinking about getting a KS16X at some point ... I hope it isn't as bad as you suggest at the recommended pressure.

Edited by Nic

12 minutes ago, Nic said:

They are all true and you can check for yourself by asking google. If you take an extreme case and drive your car with a deflated tyre you will notice the drag and your tyre will be shredded very quickly. I was thinking about getting a KS16X at some point ... I hope it isn't as bad as you suggest at the recommended pressure.

I don’t care about Google. There are plenty of people here that disagree with you and your personal conclusions about tire pressure for these things. 

It’s not just the 16X. I think all fat tire wheels ride poorly at higher tire pressures.  I have my 16S and 18XL at 35 psi and they ride fine there. 

28 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I don’t care about Google. There are plenty of people here that disagree with you and your personal conclusions about tire pressure for these things. 

It’s not just the 16X. I think all fat tire wheels ride poorly at higher tire pressures.  I have my 16S and 18XL at 35 psi and they ride fine there. 

I didn't give any personal conclusions ... I just provided some information to make you aware that there are also downsides to running tyres at low pressure. I didn't recommend one way or the other and said that was up to you. We are stuck with reading text and that make communicating harder, so don't think I was being prescriptive as I wasn't.

Edited by Nic

3 minutes ago, Nic said:

I didn't give any personal conclusions ... I just provided some information to make you aware that there are also downsides to running tyres at low pressure. I didn't recommend one way or the other and said that was up to you..

No you made it sound like your input  was factual. But that’s ok. We are good. :-)

• Like 1

Just now, Patton250 said:

No you made it sound like your input  was factual. But that’s ok. We are good. :-)

Oh no! ... I did state facts, but I didn't prescribe which facts were more important as that comes down to opinion. As Scotty from Star Trek would say ... "ye canna change the laws of physics." Tyres lose energy through flexing and that flexing increases with lower pressure. That is a FACT! That increased energy loss dissipates as heat in the tyre sidewall, which results in accelerated ageing and deterioration of the sidewall. That is a FACT! The increased energy loss comes from the battery and thus range is lower. That is also a FACT! Lower pressure means that there is increased likelihood of snakebite punctures and damaging your rim if you hit a bump or drop from a kerb. That is also a FACT!   ... but you are free to decide which facts are important to you! :)

I also didn't intend on getting into an argument.:blink:

Just now, Nic said:

Oh no! ... I did state facts, but I didn't prescribe which facts were more important as that comes down to opinion. As Scotty from Star Trek would say ... "ye canna change the laws of physics." Tyres lose energy through flexing and that flexing increases with lower pressure. That is a FACT! That increased energy loss dissipates as heat in the tyre sidewall, which results in accelerated ageing and deterioration of the sidewall. That is a FACT! The increased energy loss comes from the battery and thus range is lower. That is also a FACT! Lower pressure means that there is increased likelihood of snakebite punctures and damaging your rim if you hit a bump or drop from a kerb. That is also a FACT!   ... but you are free to decide which facts are important to you! :)

I also didn't intend on getting into an argument.:blink:

I think we should keep all these facts your little secret. I’ll let it go at that. :-) 

6 minutes ago, Nic said:

Our little secret...;)

It must suck losing sleep every night wondering why people aren’t wiping out all the time that use lower tire pressure when applying your facts to their wheels. You know.... weakened tire walls and punctures and such.  Must be an epidemic.  

Edited by Patton250

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I'm running mine at 30psi now without any problems, using another tire.

I wouldn't mind running low pressure but I don't want to risk a puncture when hitting all those rocks I ride over in the forest. 

I also run my Z10 at lower pressure, but that's a tubeless, stiff, tyre. Even at lower pressure than my KS16X, the KS16X is heaps more comfortable over bumps.

2 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

It must suck losing sleep every night wondering why people aren’t wiping out all the time that use lower tire pressure when applying your facts to their wheels. You know.... weakened tire walls and punctures and such.  Must be an epidemic.  

Ok, I get it ... you feel the disadvantages are insignificant in the grand scheme of things, so it doesn't matter ... well why didn't you say so earlier! :popcorn:

6 minutes ago, Nic said:

Ok, I get it ... you feel the disadvantages are insignificant in the grand scheme of things, so it doesn't matter ... well why didn't you say so earlier! :popcorn:

I did say that earlier by saying they are not disadvantages and that that was your opinion. 

8 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I'm running mine at 30psi now without any problems, using another tire.

I wouldn't mind running low pressure but I don't want to risk a puncture when hitting all those rocks I ride over in the forest. 

I also run my Z10 at lower pressure, but that's a tubeless, stiff, tyre. Even at lower pressure than my KS16X, the KS16X is heaps more comfortable over bumps.

I’m considering changing the tire on my 16X. When and if I do I’ll definitely try a higher psi. If it is comfortable I’ll leave it at that.  One thing is for sure I’m not going to change the tire myself. Perhaps ewheels will for me. 

1 minute ago, ir_fuel said:

Same :D 

I wish I knew how. I can wire a house and I can install an air conditioning system but I don’t want to tear this $2000 wheel down. LOL.  Did you ever see when Dr. Huxtable decided to work on his washing machine on the Cosby show? Lol. That’s what would happen to me. Parts everywhere.