Do you get speed/braking wobbles on your KS-16X

Jon Stern

Do you get speed/braking wobbles on your KS-16X  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get speed/braking wobbles on your KS-16X (with stock tire)?

• Yes - my riding weight is <150lbs
    • No - my riding weight is <150lbs
    • Yes - my riding weight is 150-180lbs
    • No - my riding weight is 150-180lbs
    • Yes - my riding weight is >180lbs
    • No - my riding weight is >180lbs

Do you get speed or braking wobbles on your KS-16X?

This poll is intended to find out if it's related to rider weight.

If you've lowered tire pressure and its stopped wobbles, the answer is still "YES".

This is intended to determine intrinsic properties of the wheel, not if you've found a work around.

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Like 2

I get zero wobbles on my 16X. I’m 162lbs 

Now I’m not saying they couldn’t have put a better tire on it and I am interested to see what you guys all do over the course of the next six months or so with that.  What I am saying is I love mine and it rides awesome. I did need to dial-in the tire pressure to my comfort level but I’ve done that with all my wheels. 

8 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I get zero wobbles on my 16X. I’m 162lbs 

Now I’m not saying they couldn’t have put a better tire on it and I am interested to see what you guys all do over the course of the next six months or so with that.  What I am saying is I love mine and it rides awesome. I did need to dial-in the tire pressure to my comfort level but I’ve done that with all my wheels. 

Well, if this poll shows it's not related to weight, the next step might be for you to ship your wheel to everyone in the US who does have wobbles, so we can test if there's manufacturing variability (for example poor tire quality control).

You good with that?

Edited by Jon Stern

Just now, Jon Stern said:

We'll, if this poll shows it's not related to weight, the next step might be for you to ship your wheel to everyone in the US who does have wobbles, so we can test if there's manufacturing variability (for example poor tire quality control).

You good with that?

:blink:

I'm ~200lbs and if I duck my feet and put the weight on the outsides of my feet/pedals I get no acceleration/braking wobbles. If my legs are tucked in tight to the wheel and my feet are straight, I can get wobbles pretty consistently under hard acceleration and hard braking.

Disclaimer: This is my first wheel and I've only got 130mi on it so far.

Edited by sparetire55
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

Should I take that as a yes?

Oh, I forgot to say. Of course, you'll pay the shipping.

I really have nothing to complain about this wheel except for the stupid app. I mean it is really inferior and dumb.  The features of this wheel are vastly superior to the Nikola. The Nikola  might ride slightly better but not enough or even close to call it the winner of the two. 

I truly don’t know why so many are struggling. If you find yourself in Tampa you are more than welcome to come ride mine. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I really have nothing to complain about this wheel except for the stupid app. I mean it is really inferior and dumb.  The features of this wheel are vastly superior to the Nikola. The Nikola  might ride slightly better but not enough or even close to call it the winner of the two. 

I truly don’t know why so many are struggling. If you find yourself in Tampa you are more than welcome to come ride mine. 

Wheelog.

1 hour ago, chrisjunlee said:

The OEM apps are trash. Wheelog for Android is amazing - correct battery levels and everything.

Oh yes. I have been using that on an old Samsung 8 I have.  I would not call it amazing. Perhaps adequate.  Most certainly better than the manufacturers app 

2 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

I don't get wobbles at that PSI either, but IMO it's extremely low for that tire. I don't consider it normal.

Ok

I have all my wide tire wheels at lower pressure. It’s just a way more comfortable ride for me. To each his own. 

• Like 1

Yeah, ridiculously low pressure also solves the problem. ( 1.5bar or lower). Not a fan of that solution.

Talking about hard braking from high speed, not acceleration. Zero issues here under acceleration with 2 bar in the wheel, unless I provoke it myself (and then I know it is my fault).

I'm 162 lbs and I experience the wobbles when I decelerate from medium to high speeds. Just got my KS 16X yesterday, so I haven't had a lot of time with it, perhaps a couple hours. I'm coming from a V8 (400 miles), and I have to say that I feel significantly less safe on it, mostly because I don't trust that it won't throw me off if I need to brake suddenly in traffic.

I'm also have challenges steering... It's as if it wants to stay upright when I'm turning vs leaning left or right easily as I'm used to with my V8. It's fine if I am at lower speeds, but when I get to medium speeds and higher, it seems to want to stay upright when turning. For right now, I'm going to chalk that up to needing to learn how to ride this particular wheel.

36 minutes ago, Reggie510 said:

I'm 162 lbs and I experience the wobbles when I decelerate from medium to high speeds. Just got my KS 16X yesterday, so I haven't had a lot of time with it, perhaps a couple hours. I'm coming from a V8 (400 miles), and I have to say that I feel significantly less safe on it, mostly because I don't trust that it won't throw me off if I need to brake suddenly in traffic.

I'm also have challenges steering... It's as if it wants to stay upright when I'm turning vs leaning left or right easily as I'm used to with my V8. It's fine if I am at lower speeds, but when I get to medium speeds and higher, it seems to want to stay upright when turning. For right now, I'm going to chalk that up to needing to learn how to ride this particular wheel.

I'm sure when you've done more hours on wheels you'll soon get used to how they handle just give it time 👍👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Reggie510 said:

I too came to the 16X from a V8.

The staying upright is the gyro (gyroscopic) effect. This seems to be stronger on the no-name stock tire of the first batch. I presume this is due to the mass of the tire.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:08 PM, Reggie510 said:

19 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

I too came to the 16X from a V8.

The staying upright is the gyro (gyroscopic) effect. This seems to be stronger on the no-name stock tire of the first batch. I presume this is due to the mass of the tire.

Thanks Jon -- it appears the gyro effect vis-a-vis the no-name stock tire has been addressed in a number of threads including this super useful issues thread.

• Upvote 1