Do you get speed/braking wobbles on your KS-16X

Jon Stern

Do you get speed/braking wobbles on your KS-16X  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you get speed/braking wobbles on your KS-16X (with stock tire)?

• Yes - my riding weight is <150lbs
    • No - my riding weight is <150lbs
    • Yes - my riding weight is 150-180lbs
    • No - my riding weight is 150-180lbs
    • Yes - my riding weight is >180lbs
    • No - my riding weight is >180lbs

4 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I wish I knew how. I can wire a house and I can install an air conditioning system but I don’t want to tear this $2000 wheel down. LOL.  Did you ever see when Dr. Huxtable decided to work on his washing machine on the Cosby show? Lol. That’s what would happen to me. Parts everywhere. 

Its your lucky day...

Edited by Nic
  • Like 1

I used to always ride on soft tyres as some of you may know it's where i felt comfortable,, now i always ride higher pressures ,i kept thinking my tyre was going down but it wasn't so i kept pumping up bit by bit and now I'm at 35-40psi ,i honestly think it's the experience you gain bit by bit that lets you ride at higher pressures , soft just feels safer , I'll post any update when i get my ks16x  that's the only time I'll able to tell 👍

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I just came back from a 75km ride. My riding weight was 147 lbs / 68kg. I use the stock tire and it is at slightly above 30 PSI.
I love the feel of everything except for how harsh it is over bumps, it launches me and my feet fly off the pedals a bit sometimes.
As this is my 4th day riding I wanted to ride it at high PSI. This way I can let the tire communicate with me as much as possible.

After today I will lower the pressure to 23 PSI.

Regarding the discussion above, this is typical of angling something based on ones own beliefs and preferences.
Coke vs Pepsi.

2 hours ago, Nic said:

Ride it at whatever pressure you prefer.

I'm pretty sure that's what people are doing.

2 hours ago, Nic said:

The downsides of low pressure are shorter tyre life

In extremes yes. Otherwise negligible. Also in the other extreme you are wearing out the most outer edge of the tire as all the weight is there.

2 hours ago, Nic said:

shorter range due to tyre losses (flexing sidewalls),

Negligible if not in extremes.

2 hours ago, Nic said:

greater chance of denting your rim and greater chance of punctures.

How much greater? 0.1%? 3%? These are big tires. Punctures? Later changed to snake bite.

2 hours ago, Nic said:

If you accept all of these disadvantages, then go ahead and ride it how you like it.

It depends on the advantages. If all we are getting is disadvantages and no advantages then one could say that running a "low" pressure vs a "high pressure" is disadvantageous.

A high pressure can cause the tire to bounce and thus lose contact with a bumpy surface unless you slow down. This will make your ride slower. It also puts you at risk of flying off the pedals. That's quite a safety concern.

A high pressure can cause the tire to behave badly on gravel and cause it to slide out while turning.

A high pressure tire can cause the tire to bounce and deflect off of rocks and roots throwing you to the side.

A high pressure tire makes for a bumpy ride and aching knees.

Coke vs Pepsi.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, stephen said:

I used to always ride on soft tyres as some of you may know it's where i felt comfortable,, now i always ride higher pressures ,i kept thinking my tyre was going down but it wasn't so i kept pumping up bit by bit and now I'm at 35-40psi ,i honestly think it's the experience you gain bit by bit that lets you ride at higher pressures , soft just feels safer , I'll post any update when i get my ks16x  that's the only time I'll able to tell 👍

All the wheels I own except for the fat tires(Nikola, Z10, 16X) are at higher pressure. 30 to 40 psi. 

6 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I just came back from a 75km ride. My riding weight was 147 lbs / 68kg. I use the stock tire and it is at slightly above 30 PSI.
I love the feel of everything except for how harsh it is over bumps, it launches me and my feet fly off the pedals a bit sometimes.
As this is my 4th day riding I wanted to ride it at high PSI. This way I can let the tire communicate with me as much as possible.

Regarding the discussion above, this is typical of angling something based on ones own beliefs and preferences.
Coke vs Pepsi.

In extremes yes. Otherwise negligible. Also in the other extreme you are wearing out the most outer edge of the tire as all the weight is there.

How much greater? 0.1%? 3%? These are big tires. Punctures? Later changed to snake bite.

It depends on the advantages. If all we are getting is disadvantages and no advantages then one could say that running a "low" pressure vs a "high pressure" is disadvantageous.

A high pressure can cause the tire to bounce and thus lose contact with a bumpy surface unless you slow down. This will make your ride slower. It also puts you at risk of flying off the pedals. That's quite a safety concern.

A high pressure can cause the tire to behave badly on gravel and cause it to slide out while turning.

A high pressure tire can cause the tire to bounce and deflect off of rocks and roots throwing you to the side.

Coke vs Pepsi.

Boom. :-)

Well put my friend. 

I got 53 miles on my 16 X on one charge and still had 5% battery left.  That was on 20 psi. I ain’t worried about loss of mileage. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Coke vs Pepsi.

Coke vs Pepsi.

I can only talk from riding bicycles for several decades and in such cases the points I mentioned are most definitely not negligible. Without a motor you will quickly notice the increase in effort even on short rides and when coasting. Yes, a motor will make a difference, but it doesn't mean the effects aren't there. If you fit new tyres to a car and run them at lower than normal pressure you will notice an increase in fuel consumption only if you monitor this regularly and you may find the tyres sidewall start cracking after 2 years instead of 4 years. On an EUC with a powerful motor and relatively short tyre life you may not notice at all, but it is still there and it all depends on how extreme you go with the pressure. If you run with your tyre close to flat your tyre may not last even 100 meters. So, it depends...

8 minutes ago, Nic said:

I can only talk from riding bicycles for several decades and in such cases the points I mentioned are most definitely not negligible. Without a motor you will quickly notice the increase in effort even on short rides and when coasting. Yes, a motor will make a difference, but it doesn't mean the effects aren't there. If you fit new tyres to a car and run them at lower than normal pressure you will notice an increase in fuel consumption only if you monitor this regularly and you may find the tyres sidewall start cracking after 2 years instead of 4 years. On an EUC with a powerful motor and relatively short tyre life you may not notice at all, but it is still there and it all depends on how extreme you go with the pressure. If you run with your tyre close to flat your tyre may not last even 100 meters. So, it depends...

Apparently you’ve never ridden an ATV. Not all tires are the same. 

18 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Apparently you’ve never ridden an ATV. Not all tires are the same. 

Nope, but most pneumatic tyres operate on the same principles and are made from similar materials. EUC tyres are made with thicker sidewalls and tread and that makes them stronger and more resistant to punctures, but also higher rolling resistance (less efficient). The 2 inch Kenda tyres fitted to the Inmotion V8 / KS16S are also marketed for bicycles. I don't understand what point you are making. You made it plenty clear you don't care, so lets leave it at that.

Edited by Nic

39 minutes ago, Nic said:

I have also read some studies and also heard old broscience and what is most entertaining when reading studies is reading studies that prove the opposite.
Google "bicycle air pressure fallacy" and take it from there. You will soon find that high pressure is more prone to puncturing. :efee612b4b:
We are not discussing a mathematical question or a binary problem. :roflmao: Just shades of gray. But not 50.

5 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

Boom. :-)

Well put my friend. 

I got 53 miles on my 16 X on one charge and still had 5% battery left.  That was on 20 psi. I ain’t worried about loss of mileage. 

Thanks amigo. :)

I had 35% battery left. Becaaaauuuusee lightweight baby!!!!
But now I know what to expect and now I can lower it and not have anxiety about range. I expect a 10% decrease at 23 PSI.

And since I was riding with Tobbe and he is a maniac on his 100v Nikola I was sweating balls trying to keep up.
Still the speed is plenty for me. I had a great time. And this is perhaps the third time in my EUC life that I have been on a trip longer thank 70km.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Google "bicycle air pressure fallacy" and take it from there. You will soon find that high pressure is more prone to puncturing. :efee612b4b:

You didn't provide a link, but I did a quick google and I think you are confused by over-inflated tyres being prone to punctures from flints. I was referring to under-inflated tyres compared to normal pressures. Plus you didn't mention 'snake-bite' punctures (there is no snake involved, pinch-flat is another name for this), which only affect under-inflated tyres with an inner tube. So, I'm not sure about the studies showing the opposite ... its more a case of interpreting what is actually being said. But, regardless, you have your own opinions on this and that is fine. If KingSong recommend you run your tyre at a particular pressure, it is because the tyre manufacturer has likely done some testing to support this and is not just plucked from 'thin air'. They won't warranty a tyre that shows damage from running at too low a pressure.

This example is on car tyres, but the same principles apply to all pneumatic tyres...

https://blog.firestonecompleteautocare.com/driving/dont-let-low-pressure-tires-cause-a-marriage-blowout/

Most tire blowouts are caused by under-inflation; there simply isn’t enough air in the tire. When a tire is underinflated, the side of the tire flexes more (the side-wall always flattens a bit at the bottom as the tire rolls). That generates heat, and heat leads to tire failure.

Another problem I have seen on bicycles and on EUC is when the tube valve gets ripped from the inner tube by the tyre slipping on the rim due to lack of friction when running too low a tyre pressure. I think Marty Backe had this problem, but he didn't identify the cause. This can't happen with tubeless tyres.

Edited by Nic

55 minutes ago, Nic said:

You didn't provide a link

I would never dream of it. I believe in your intellect.

55 minutes ago, Nic said:

but I did a quick google and I think you are confused by over-inflated tyres being prone to punctures from flints. I was referring to under-inflated tyres compared to normal pressures. Plus you didn't mention 'snake-bite' punctures (there is no snake involved, pinch-flat is another name for this), which only affect under-inflated tyres with an inner tube. So, I'm not sure about the studies showing the opposite ... its more a case of interpreting what is actually being said. But, regardless, you have your own opinions on this and that is fine. If KingSong recommend you run your tyre at a particular pressure, it is because the tyre manufacturer has likely done some testing to support this and is not just plucked from 'thin air'. They won't warranty a tyre that shows damage from running at too low a pressure.

This example is on car tyres, but the same principles apply to all pneumatic tyres...

https://blog.firestonecompleteautocare.com/driving/dont-let-low-pressure-tires-cause-a-marriage-blowout/

Nope i'm not confused. Or if I am confused then I am as confused as you are regarding under-inflated tires vs low PSI. These are not synonymous.
We are discussing high PSI vs low PSI. Not over-inflated vs under-inflated. However all examples you have given for disadvantages have been for under-inflated.

If you are unsure regarding the studies you should spend at least an equal time pursuing studies looking for the opposite of what you believe in.

In your first post regarding PSI you said that they are more prone to punctures at low PSI (I quoted that part). Then in the following you said they are prone to snake bite (which I did not quote as I don't feel a need to quote 100% of what you have written, you yourself should know what you wrote). Don't worry I am clear regarding snake bit / pinch flat. I am pretty sure that there is no snake involved. I am not arguing homonyms or semantics. What you should be clear on though is that a high pressure tire is more prone to puncturing as it won't absorb and conform as well as a lower PSI tire. Are you aware of this or do you deny this? This is an example of a fallacy I invited you to pursue and seek clarification on. But you chose to talk about snakes and over-inflation.

What I am arguing is the angle of a discussion towards ones preferences and beliefs and imposing it on another as the truth.
I really don't care about the rest of the conversation. PSI is a preference. Extremes are extreme.

The link you provided is one of 10000.

I can give you links proving that a ketogenic diet casues type 2 diabetes and I can give you links proving that a ketogenic diet reverses it.
I can give you links proving that a squats under parallel are bad for your knees and also the opposite.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I would never dream of it. I believe in your intellect.

Nope i'm not confused. Or if I am confused then I am as confused as you are regarding under-inflated tires vs low PSI. These are not synonymous.
We are discussing high PSI vs low PSI. Not over-inflated vs under-inflated. However all examples you have given for disadvantages have been for under-inflated.

If you are unsure regarding the studies you should spend at least an equal time pursuing studies looking for the opposite of what you believe in.

In your first post regarding PSI you said that they are more prone to punctures at low PSI (I quoted that part). Then in the following you said they are prone to snake bite (which I did not quote as I don't feel a need to quote 100% of what you have written, you yourself should know what you wrote). Don't worry I am clear regarding snake bit / pinch flat. I am pretty sure that there is no snake involved. I am not arguing homonyms or semantics. What you should be clear on though is that a high pressure tire is more prone to puncturing as it won't absorb and conform as well as a lower PSI tire. Are you aware of this or do you deny this? This is an example of a fallacy I invited you to pursue and seek clarification on. But you chose to talk about snakes and over-inflation.

What I am arguing is the angle of a discussion towards ones preferences and beliefs and imposing it on another as the truth.
I really don't care about the rest of the conversation. PSI is a preference. Extremes are extreme.

The link you provided is one of 10000.

I can give you links proving that a ketogenic diet casues type 2 diabetes and I can give you links proving that a ketogenic diet reverses it.
I can give you links proving that a squats under parallel are bad for your knees and also the opposite.

I think the problem we have is one of understanding each other. Every rider will set their preferred pressure different as they will account for their weight. As regards all the disadvantages I pointed out these are not black and white, but the are all the shades in between and therefore may or may not be significant in any given scenario. I simply draw attention to these facts and do not suggest people to just follow along. This is a discussion after all. And I am a bit of a nerd so all this is not new to me. I find it incredible that you can make any decisions at all given that you don't trust any information sources because there are always arguments and counter-arguments. In your example with diabetes there is an issue with medical studies as these use correlation to draw conclusions and it is very difficult to conduct precise studies and trials. This is not the same when applying basic science to testing tyres. I suppose its pointless providing links as you wouldn't believe anything you read. You seem to believe only things that already fit your own preconceived beliefs. Good luck with that.

• Like 1

Anyway... it's 23:25 here and i'm a little tyred. Get it? Tyred?
I was born in Canada and although we do say harbour and armour and aluminium we say tire and not tyre.
But when discussing with people who spell it tyre I always question myself. Am I Canadian? Who am I even?

Back to speed wobbles. The 16X is just a wobbly wheel. I love that it wobbles because it is a controlled wobble. Just like the Onewheel.
Sometimes it will wobble less and sometimes more.
If I lose my proper posture I get wobbles at speed and at braking. Especially if I stiffen up.
If I ride loose like a rag doll then it goes well.
If I brake by sitting back into an invisible chair I get no wobbles.

At 30 PSI. A PSI way too high for my weight. And why is it too high? Because the ride comfort sucks and I get launched into the air and off the pedals at when hitting bumps.
At 20 kmh, or even better.... 45 kmh.

23 PSI tomorrow. I will let you all know how it goes.

1 minute ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Anyway... it's 23:25 here and i'm a little tyred. Get it? Tyred?
I was born in Canada and although we do say harbour and armour and aluminium we say tire and not tyre.
But when discussing with people who spell it tyre I always question myself. Am I Canadian? Who am I even?

Back to speed wobbles. The 16X is just a wobbly wheel. I love that it wobbles because it is a controlled wobble. Just like the Onewheel.
Sometimes it will wobble less and sometimes more.
If I lose my proper posture I get wobbles at speed and at braking. Especially if I stiffen up.
If I ride loose like a rag doll then it goes well.
If I brake by sitting back into an invisible chair I get no wobbles.

At 30 PSI. A PSI way too high for my weight. And why is it too high? Because the ride comfort sucks and I get launched into the air and off the pedals at when hitting bumps.
At 20 kmh, or even better.... 45 kmh.

23 PSI tomorrow. I will let you all know how it goes.

Just out of interest ... what is the manufacturer specified pressure range (min/max) for that tyre?

2 minutes ago, Nic said:

I think the problem we have is one of understanding each other. Every rider will set their preferred pressure different as they will account for their weight. As regards all the disadvantages I pointed out these are not black and white, but the are all the shades in between and therefore may or may not be significant in any given scenario. I simply draw attention to these facts and do not suggest people to just follow along. This is a discussion after all. And I am a bit of a nerd so all this is not new to me. I find it incredible that you can make any decisions at all given that you don't trust any information sources because there are always arguments and counter-arguments. In your example with diabetes there is an issue with medical studies as these use correlation to draw conclusions and it is very difficult to conduct precise studies and trials. This is not the same when applying basic science to testing tyres. I suppose its pointless providing links as you wouldn't believe anything you read. You seem to believe only things that already fit your own preconceived beliefs. Good luck with that.

That’s not it at all. He and I are merely disagreeing with your beliefs that tire pressure in our EUC’s has the same principles as bicycles and cars.  You seem to think that all tires are the same on every type of vehicle in the world.  At least that’s how I take you opinions you call facts. I could be wrong about you as I’m wrong quite often and if you don’t believe me ask my wife.  :-)

• Like 1

Just now, Nic said:

Just out of interest ... what is the manufacturer specified pressure range (min/max) for that tyre?

That’s irrelevant.  The manufacture of that tire had no idea what vehicle it would be placed on or used for. 

Just now, Patton250 said:

That’s not it at all. He and I are merely disagreeing with your beliefs that tire pressure in our EUC’s has the same principles as bicycles and cars.  You seem to think that all tires are the same on every type of vehicle in the world.  At least that’s how I take you opinions you call facts. I could be wrong about you as I’m wrong quite often and if you don’t believe me ask my wife.  :-)

You are correct on this occasion ... all pneumatic tyres work the same way ... I'm sure your wife will back me up on that.:P

1 minute ago, Patton250 said:

That’s irrelevant.  The manufacture of that tire had no idea what vehicle it would be placed on or used for. 

Are you sure the tyre wasn't made specifically for EUCs?

8 minutes ago, Nic said:

You are correct on this occasion ... all pneumatic tyres work the same way ... I'm sure your wife will back me up on that.:P

The tire pressure on my four wheeler tires is 6 PSI 

8 minutes ago, Nic said:

Are you sure the tyre wasn't made specifically for EUCs?

From what I understand these tires are made for all different types of usage.  Mostly dirt bikes I believe.  

1 minute ago, Nic said:

I think the problem we have is one of understanding each other. Every rider will set their preferred pressure different as they will account for their weight. As regards all the disadvantages I pointed out these are not black and white, but the are all the shades in between and therefore may or may not be significant in any given scenario. I simply draw attention to these facts and do not suggest people to just follow along. This is a discussion after all. And I am a bit of a nerd so all this is not new to me. I find it incredible that you can make any decisions at all given that you don't trust any information sources because there are always arguments and counter-arguments. In your example with diabetes there is an issue with medical studies as these use correlation to draw conclusions and it is very difficult to conduct precise studies and trials. This is not the same when applying basic science to testing tyres.

We are both nerds. This much we know. :efee612b4b:
We understand each other, we just don't sympathise with each other. This is part of being a nerd.
I can make decisions with ease because I can do research looking for pros and cons. I also apply the research in real life. Otherwise it is just religion to me.
In your post you only discussed the disadvantages of low PSI and not the advantages. This leads me to believe that you prefer high PSI.

1 minute ago, Nic said:

I suppose its pointless providing links as you wouldn't believe anything you read. You seem to believe only things that already fit your own preconceived beliefs. Good luck with that.

This is exactly what I wrote to you from the beginning. In a less condescending way.
All I asked was that you don't preach it to others. If you must though... then state both sides.
State the advantages and disadvantages. Otherwise you are just picking on someones preferences for the sake of it. That is not how a discussion is conducted.

A bit more about me. I am 45 and have been working in IT for the past 20 years.
I was born in Canada and lived in Toronto until I was 13. Then my parents moved to Spain and took me along with the rest of their baggage.
As a kid I spent my time playing AD&D and other similar games. Biking. Skating. Reading comics. And spending way too much time in front of a Commodore 64.
I worked in Spain as a:
Waiter, public relations for night clubs, gogo dancer, bartender. Dropped out of high school.
I worked in Sweden at a daycare. I worked at a gallery framing art and cutting glass (still have nightmares about that). Started working with computers. Workstations then servers. Then workstations. Then servers. Then management. Then I quit everything and have been off work since March 1st.

Now I just ride and do calisthenics. And will do so for another year. Or maybe two. And think about my sins.

Now that you know me better... we might have an easier time understanding each other.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

We understand each other, we just don't sympathise with each other. This is part of being a nerd.
I can make decisions with ease because I can do research looking for pros and cons. I also apply the research in real life. Otherwise it is just religion to me.
In your post you only discussed the disadvantages of low PSI and not the advantages. This leads me to believe that you prefer high PSI.

This is exactly what I wrote to you from the beginning. In a less condescending way.
All I asked was that you don't preach it to others. If you must though... then state both sides.
State the advantages and disadvantages. Otherwise you are just picking on someones preferences for the sake of it. That is not how a discussion is conducted.

I was born in Canada and lived in Toronto until I was 13. Then my parents moved to Spain and took me along with the rest of their baggage.
As a kid I spent my time playing AD&D and other similar games. Biking. Skating. Reading comics. And spending way too much time in front of a Commodore 64.
I worked in Spain as a:
Waiter, public relations for night clubs, gogo dancer, bartender. Dropped out of high school.
I worked in Sweden at a daycare. I worked at a gallery framing art and cutting glass (still have nightmares about that). Started working with computers. Workstations then servers. Then workstations. Then servers. Then management. Then I quit everything and have been off work since March 1st.

Now I just ride and do calisthenics. And will do so for another year. Or maybe two. And think about my sins.

Now that you know me better... we might have an easier time understanding each other.

Go go dancer????????? :w00t2:

11 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I worked in Spain as a:

You are correct I only discussed one side of the argument, but this is because I already agree with the arguments for low pressure, so I have no issue there and these advantages have already been pointed out so I saw no need to repeat them, hence I added what was missing ... the disadvantages. I can now see why you feel I was preaching, but really that was not my intention.

7 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

35-45 PSI for the stock tire on the 16X.
Just checked my MSX and it's the same!

You are running it well below spec then...

What is the maximum load rated at (kg)?

Edited by Nic

Just now, Patton250 said:

Go go dancer????????? :w00t2:

Gotta get paid you know!
There were two main nightclubs in Torrevieja, Spain at that time. One was called KKO and the other was Pacha. Then there were some other like Chaplin and Chaplin Costa but they were a bit further off. I was usually at KKO. But sometimes I would go to other clubs in other towns nearby with my three friends, Jimmy, David and Jean-Claude. Then we would dance at the clubs for money and drinks, meet chicks, dance at dance competitions and so on. Hahaha. And now i'm married to a dancer. And she's married to a nerd. She's the real deal... but on the other hand... so am I.

Just now, Nic said:

You are correct I only discussed one side of the argument, but this is because I already agree with the arguments for low pressure, so I have no issue there and these advantages have already been pointed out so I saw no need to repeat them, hence I added what was missing ... the disadvantages.

Wheel, wheel, wheel what do we have here? That's what made it sound like you were arguing against it. Which is what triggered the whole discussion.

Now tell me.. if you could only choose between these two would you drink Pepsi or Pepsi Max?

• Like 1