Which is the best 18in unicycle

So..... i have a ninebot one e+. I did some research that seemed like the better option that fit my needs at the time, and let me tell you its been one hell of a ride.... but somethings missing. I wish it could go faster. I wish the battery could last a little longer.

I know the ninebot one pro is coming soon, but the specs aren't really too far from my e+. I feel like ninebot is giving us little by little specs at a time to sell each model... like the iphone(4,4s,5,5s,6, etc) where it looks pretty and premium, but they barely up the specs, and slowly gets features that others had for years. I feel as if the ninebot pro is gonna make me feel stupid when the ninebot p+ comes out for a $100 bucks more. I want the Samsung of Unicycles(well the old samsung)! Where they maximize every possible spec, easy changable batteries, gives you the most bang for your buck, and gives you more than what you need. It may not be the prettiest or the most popular.

That being said, which 18in is the best. I know there are plenty to choose from. I only know a few. Such as the king song, solo extreme,  msuper 18, and the ninebot pro. By best i mean, max speed, power, battery/distance, comfort, user experience, parts/accessories. Accesories... i dont really care too much about but its always a plus.

Please share which unicycle you think is the beast of unicycles. Doesn't have to be the one i provided. I love to have choices and there is so much i just dont know. Thats why i need your help. Thanks!!!

All the 18" models I know of are Gotway MSuper, King Song 18" and Solowheel Xtreme. Ninebot One P 'Pro' is 16" according to the specs:

Tire Diameter/ModelDiameter 16" inch low pressure pneumatic tire

From here:  http://www.ninebotus.com/ninebot-one-p-pro-pre-order/   So, I think it's "just" a motor & battery upgrade when compared to E+.

I don't know of anyone who has all of the 18" models, and I myself don't have any 18" wheel (but will surely get all of them if I happen to win the lottery :D). Gotway MSuper HS is still (probably) the fastest, at (near?) 40km/h max speed, but the upcoming 1100W rated 18" King Song could be as fast or maybe even faster, I don't think it's out yet? Unless they limit the speed in the name of safety... The Gotways don't have speed-based tilt-back, but whether that's a good or bad thing is up to your personal taste (I actually like the fact that the Firewheel hasn't got a speed-based tilt-back, although one could say that's very dangerous also, due to the too quiet warnings), I believe the King Songs and the Xtreme do have it. In my opinion, Xtreme is the "weakest link" of the 18-inch bunch, due to low top speed and small battery, especially in comparison to the price, although I believe it to be a high quality wheel otherwise.

Battery-wise, you can get Gotway MSupers with 680 or 850Wh batteries out-of-the-box, and 1Rad Werkstatt can supply over 1kWh batteries for it (and spare parts). There's some special model of the KS 18", with 1350Wh batteries, but not sure if it's available internationally. Personally, I think I'd like the KS better due to the shape (no box in the middle), although it's probably the tallest of all EUCs out there, and maybe not as nimble as the others? Once I get my current project finished, I'll see how hard (or easy) it is to ride with a tall wheel.... ;)

Note: I was writing this post and saw "esaj just replied" So if there's overlap it's because he beat me to it!

In terms of max speed and battery / distance, you can rule out the Solowheel. Battery and speed is anemic compared to other 18 inch wheels.

The KS 18" has the most features: Built in front and brake lights, USB charger, built-in seat. It's not clear but from a recent email exchange, the top speed from current tests I believe is about 40kph (much higher than the official specs and only slightly behind the msuper) @KaleOsaurusRex may be able to clarify this. The KS 18's peddles are slightly smaller than the msuper so keep that in mind. All in all, the KS is the luxury version of 18" wheels (think Lexus if you're talking cars). If you're outside of China then the maximum battery is limited to 680wh unless you get a custom pack made.

The Msuper is more like the race / track car of the 18" world. Where the KS is curvy and refined, the Msuper is angular and rugged. A blunt no-nonsense shape. Kind of like a jeep or a hummer in shape... But it's the fastest of the 18" wheels and lacks the amenities of the KS, so a essentially a track car.. It just goes Fast. Depending on which model you get. The available battery is the largest (850wh) The pedals are the largest and the most comfortable. But KS is coming out with new pedals soon, which may change this.

How do I know this? Let's just say I've been eyeing these two for a very long time ;)

I'm wanting, but don't have the cash.  So this is a good thing.  It gives me time to truly narrow it down.  If I had the cash, and someone said I think XXY Wheel is the best, I might have jumped at it, and later found out XXY sucks.   Yes these are the ramblings of a man wanting a new Wheel.

Agree with most points on here, but to add some notes as a KS-18 owner:

• Design and safety features (headlight, brake light, tiltback) of the King Song KS-18 (over the MSuper2) are also a consideration when you sell the Uni, as buyers look for that.

• The KS-18 includes a pad/seat so you can sit and ride. On the flip side, I imagine the MSuper2 (never rode one) is more manipulate-able under your feet without the height, just like 16"/14" wheels, for sharp-cut turns.

Maneuverability is a non-issue, IMO (once you get acclimated). I recently sold my NineBot One E+ to get a KS-18, and even though the range of motion is a tad less, there isn't really anything I can't do on my King Song that I couldn't do on the NineBot.... maybe jumping(?) but the 18" will just climb over curbs/steps that you would have to jump on 14"/16" wheels.

Another factor is that, the way the EUC makers are chasing the cool design factor of the NineBots, Gotway may be adding a lot of the safety features and sleek design to the MSuper3 (ala MCM4), which would even these parts of the playing field between both machines.

Just my 2¢

The Gotway MSuper is heavy in width and turns are not as easy as on a Kingsong KS18. The Kingsong is more handy but you need to take the KS18 between your legs without touching them. The KS 18 is smaller but the height is a problem.

The Gotway feels like a tank to drive where you like, the Kingsong is more the gentle driver. I feel much more comfortable on the KS18 because of damaged knees from sport as I was young. I only drove a KS18 500W/ 680 Wh which had not enough power. The 800 or 1100W should be a blast. On the Gotway side I drove a MSuper with 850 Wh battery.

I would wait for the Kingsong KS16 and than compare it to 18 models.

As an owner, I agree that the Xtreme is the worst of the 18" wheels, as it costs 2x the price of the King Song! And yet, the King Song has twice the riding distance range and twice the max speed!  :-O

I wouldn't call the height on the KS-18 a problem, more just a design choice that allows you to sit while riding, as well as being able to roll the uni from the handle sans separate trolley handle (you do sacrifice some side-to-side angle turning due to the top weight however). 

And I am always leaning my knees/legs on the top cushions. I actually pinch and manipulate the top between my knees to help with my turning/balancing.

Pedal size was also mentioned here, but I don't feel any more uncomfortable on these pedals as I was on the NineBot One E+ (I am US8.5 in shoe size for reference; maybe the MSuper has room for two? ; ) ).

And in terms of drive style, I would agree with the above. The King Song, while powerful, does not have that hard, sports car type of driving, so acceleration and braking is not as immediate as when I felt with the NineBot (although overall weight is probably a factor here).

Also, something I haven't seen mentioned on these forums: in hand, while the KS-18 actually weighs 40lbs, lifting it vs. the NineBot (30lbs), I really didn't feel that it was so much heavier carrying around FWIW (though you'll probably wheel it more than lift).

I do wish they would implement some kind of a kickstand, ala a bicycle or motorcycle, as the unit un-powered leaning against a wall will not stay upright.

I own a MSpuer MS and have several test rides of Xtreme and KS18 from my friends.

KS18 special edition(1360Wh) could be the most powerful and fastest of the three(even compared to MSuper HS). The motor is different than other 18" models(the motors for Xtreme, MSuper and even SBU are the same from appearance). However, the pedal size is very small making it difficult to accelerate or to make hard brake, meaning also it cannot climb steep slop(there are four prerequisites for steep slop climbing, pedal size is one of them). Another weakness is prone to overheat when climbing. Of course we have solved these problems.

For Xtreme, I feel it's too soft, slow to respond and pedal dipping while turning. When the battery running out, it is OUT. Every other EUCs I tested can be restarted in this situation when switched off for a while. A restarted out-of-battery EUC can be dragged-riding and we have done this countless times. Below is the photo taken by my friend Yesterday being dragged by me. We were on an unfinished long bridge(no cars are allowed yet) and his battery is running out. I dragged him for 6km. All he has to do is to apply a slightly brake action and his wheel even be recharged when moving. Had he ridden and Xtreme, he would have to carry it for 6km. Luckily, the rider of Xtreme finished the 21km trip.

KS18 special edition(1360Wh) could be the most powerful and fastest of the three(even compared to MSuper HS). The motor is different than other 18" models(the motors for Xtreme, MSuper and even SBU are the same from appearance). However, the pedal size is very small making it difficult to accelerate or to make hard brake, meaning also it cannot climb steep slop(there are four prerequisites for steep slop climbing, pedal size is one of them). Another weakness is prone to overheat when climbing. Of course we have solved these problems.

Yes, the relatively small pedal size on the KS 18" is why I decided to go with an Msuper this generation as well. A few recent (long distance) rides for me on the KS made me realize how much an extra couple of inches make in terms of comfort .. Since you have a larger "sweet spot" where you can shift your feet.  Not to mention riding off curbs or sudden dips on the road may cause your feet to re-position on landing and end hanging off more than you would like. Not being able to apply enough torque for steep hills was very interesting to hear from your experience as well. The pedal extension solution you came up with I'm sure will help others who find the pedals too small for them.

The Ninebot pedals being only slightly larger were much more comfortable for long rides. And the Msuper is even larger. For people with a size 10 or larger shoe (43 + for euro-riders), this is worth considering depending on how you plan to use your wheel. 

Even with that being the case, if i would have been able to get my hands on the 1360Wh wheel (thanks for your efforts Kale!), I would have gone with the KS anyway, and found a workaround for the pedals like you did.

That's why I'm glad to hear from Kale that KS is working on a new pedal. Since that's about the only complaint I've heard with KS units from users (and maybe some styling critiques.) I happen to like the 14" and 18" styling -- so for me, it was the pedal size that clinched it. 

• 7 months later...

KINGSONG 18": 30km/h 800W rated power. Kingsong cannot accelerate or brake as fast as Gotway Msuper.

GOTWAY 18": 44km/h 1000W rated power.

I've test driven Msuper a few times and own an Xtreme. Haven't tried KS18 yet, but would love to..

The only true beasts are Msuper and KS18, but the xtreme is king of ergonomics between the two I've ridden - well, of any wheel I've ridden and the braking sensation is phenomenal. If that's important to you, give it a test ride. If you need a huge range then don't bother. ;)

Archived