Tesla "Suspension" Seat Mod

• 2 months later...

I'm interested in doing this modification myself, but am worried about it's feasibility since the pedals, and not the case, are built to withstand rider weight. How much do you weigh and does the plastic feel at all like it is cracking? Also, do you feel any slippage?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

That seat mount if a thing of beauty!  I also like the "Tesla" wheel stand and rear badging.  Very cool ride!

Hey @Hunka Hunka Burning Love, thanks for your comments on the Tesla seat mod and the badging.  As I explained to @EmPSyN in my post above, the Tesla as you know yourself is an awesome wheel but now with the option to sit whenever the need arises, lifts it to another level altogether!  Another added bonus is that seated riding also gives a little more range to the 1020wh battery life!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

This is exactly what I decided to try on my MSX after seeing Marty’s video, but had forgotten about it alltogether! Thank you for the reminder, ordering the brackets right now. :)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

This is exactly what I decided to try on my MSX after seeing Marty’s video, but had forgotten about it alltogether! Thank you for the reminder, ordering the brackets right now. :)

@mrelwood I'm very glad to hear that my post today has jogged your memory to carry this out, you won't be disappointed.  I also notice you stated "ordering the brackets" i.e. plural, as 2x brackets I truly believe transforms this mod to next level in every way possible! 

Just one thing to note, for anyone using 2x brackets, you will need to replace the 8mm Socket cap screws with equivalent length bolts to allow for assembly (Allen key access is rendered impossible)

In my original photos I had already used 1x 8mm bolt which works, but have since replaced both with bolts for ease of adjustment should you need to tweak the seat position or the amount of spring tension!

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

I also like how you're able to still use the handle with the seat locked in place.  The Tesla weighs a ton, but I think you can still fit your hand underneath there in and around the hose clamps to lift it.  For Telsa V2 owners, where is the temporary disengagement switch located?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fbhb said:

@mrelwood I'm very glad to hear that my post today has jogged your memory to carry this out, you won't be disappointed.  I also notice you stated "ordering the brackets" i.e. plural, as 2x brackets I truly believe transforms this mod to next level in every way possible!

Absolutely, thank you for the reminder! I saw two brackets in my mind the moment I saw Marty’s tilted saddle. And guess what, after scientifically 3D-measuring the available space by twisting my body around while standing on my wheel and quickly glancing at the clearance, I decided to also order an extra large and super wide fat-ars saddle that besides being extra soft and cushy, also has spring suspension at the back. :blink1: It should take the mod even to a nexter level! :D:facepalm:

3 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

I also like how you're able to still use the handle with the seat locked in place.

I was worried about lifting the MSX once the mod is in place, but then realized that these brackets and seats are designed to carry a bouncing MTB rider. Lifting even a 24kg wheel directly from the bracket or even the saddle cannot be a problem at all.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Lifting even a 24kg wheel directly from the bracket or even the saddle cannot be a problem at all.

@Hunka Hunka Burning Love & @mrelwood Yep, this set up does indeed allow you to lift (in my case the Tesla) with the original handle, with your hand underneath the junction of both brackets or with your hand underneath the the junction of the Top bracket!  I have No issues at all lifting the wheel in and out of my car with any of these 3 options, as the seat/brackets are so securely attached.

Another plus being that with the seat fitted it's now just about high enough to grab the seat's nose as a makeshift trolley handle! (useful in the case of the Tesla,  as the original trolley is now obstructed from fully extending)

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

For Telsa V2 owners, where is the temporary disengagement switch located?

The Tesla V2 disengagement switch would fall/fit between the 2 hose clamps (I used Stainless Steel by the way for it's durability/tensile strength), so should still work without issue.

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

@fbhbUsing two brackets is a great idea as I've seen others do seat mods and it looks like there's a lot of stress on their knees. With a second bracket, there seems to be enough elevation. I'm surprised you use the Tesla as an offroad wheel as the wheel isn't that wide or large and is considered more an urban wheel.

It seems there's a flurry of interest. Would you consider providing a how-to guide?

As in, what numbers do you have the brackets locked on?

For parts:
Shock Absorber AliExpress
Metal Zip Tie (?) - I'm not sure what these are called, but I assume Home Depot would have them.
Padding - I saw Marty used leather, what did you use? The black blends with the wheel and looks very secure.
Bicycle Seat - Seems any seat with similar lower housing
Rear Light - Optional.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I decided to also order an extra large and super wide fat-ars saddle that besides being extra soft and cushy, also has spring suspension at the back. :blink1: It should take the mod even to a nexter level! :D:facepalm:

The spring seat idea sounds interesting. This is becoming a proper bike. Install a water bottle holder under the seat and start doing EUC Enduro races.

11 hours ago, mrelwood said:

I was worried about lifting the MSX once the mod is in place, but then realized that these brackets and seats are designed to carry a bouncing MTB rider. Lifting even a 24kg wheel directly from the bracket or even the saddle cannot be a problem at all.

I'm sure the brackets are solid, but I wouldn't trust them as your notion suggests since the brackets and seats are designed to be compressed, rather than lifted. It might not be able to withstand the weight of an MTB rider pulling it apart.

6 hours ago, EmPSyN said:

It seems there's a flurry of interest. Would you consider providing a how-to guide?

As in, what numbers do you have the brackets locked on?

@EmPSyN you will not really need a "How-to" guide, as you have all the information you need with @Marty Backe's video plus my O.P. including photos to work from (along with my subsequent posts in this thread).  As regards where to lock each of the brackets/seat together: This is going to be down to personal preference with how far forward/back your choice of bicycle saddle needs to be?  Also bear in mind that when clamping the 2 brackets together, this can also have an affect on the amount of spring available. 

All the photos I posted are quite high resolution, so if you click on the side view it will give a very clear idea which markings I used to clamp everything together.  Having said that, I have since made my own small adjustments with the clamping positions to get the optimum seating position over the pedals/amount of spring for my personal preference, so there will be some trial and error needed.

For parts:
Shock Absorber AliExpress
Metal Zip Tie (?) - I'm not sure what these are called, but I assume Home Depot would have them.
Padding - I saw Marty used leather, what did you use? The black blends with the wheel and looks very secure.
Bicycle Seat - Seems any seat with similar lower housing
Rear Light - Optional.

Shock Absorber: Your link to Ali seller is fine.

Metal Zip Tie: "Adjustable Hose Clamp" (I used stainless steel) and yes somewhere like Home Depot or a Plumbers merchant.

Padding: I also used leather and some cordura fabric (I had a surplus shoulder strap pad, that was leather one side and cordura on the other, so just cut that up).

Bicycle Seat: Your personal choice that provides the comfort level that suits you best.

Rear Light: I used a "Serfas Thunderbolt", as the lugs to attach it using small bungee cords,  lines up perfectly on the seat rails/suspension bracket.

I'm sure the brackets are solid, but I wouldn't trust them as your notion suggests since the brackets and seats are designed to be compressed, rather than lifted. It might not be able to withstand the weight of an MTB rider pulling it apart.

As I posted previously, due to the solidity of the spring steel brackets and the way they are attached to the wheel with stainless steel hose clamps, there is absolutely No Issue with lifting the wheel by the brackets or the seat!

Hope your seat mod goes well for you, remember to come back to this thread and let us know how it all works out?

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

hi guys,

I’m new to this forum, so I’m still learning how to post images and stuff

Marty inspired me for the saddle mod and I thought I’d give it a try to design my own saddle holder and it works perfect, rides like a dream 😁 

how this link works

maybe someone can explain how I can post pictures directly in this frame?
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0_DliMNhxTNd-PrZuAF77bBgQ

On 5/7/2020 at 10:47 AM, Bart Swerts said:

Hi, me again,

this time with the actual images 😜

@Marty Backe and @fbhb inspired me for this mod, but I wanted something that was easy removable 😁

so I modelled something that can stay on the wheel and I can simply slide the saddle in if I need it for long rides 

If I want to remove it totally, I just unscrew the 6 bolts 

8-D3-A4-C00-3-AD0-4-B7-F-9-B9-A-C37096-F408-FF795-73-A7-4-E9-F-90-DB-D8-F3-D95-FA452980-F-F8-AF-480-B-9408-33554-AE962-E14-FA8-AEF-6-EB3-485-C-A4-B0-562-A49-AE8

Wow. Very cool. I love it :cheers:

If I had a 3D printer I'd be trying cool designs like this too.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2020 at 10:47 AM, Bart Swerts said:

Hi, me again,

this time with the actual images 😜

@Marty Backe and @fbhb inspired me for this mod, but I wanted something that was easy removable 😁

so I modelled something that can stay on the wheel and I can simply slide the saddle in if I need it for long rides 

If I want to remove it totally, I just unscrew the 6 bolts 

14-FA8-AEF-6-EB3-485-C-A4-B0-562-A49-AE8

I would love to try this out. I'm still struggling with learning the stock MSX/P seat, this looks a lot more comfortable and rides way higher which is a big plus. Any plans to publish the files?

• 4 weeks later...