Traveling / shipping

Hello everyone.

I'm looking into buying KS16X ! Feeling pumped but there is just little problem I'm trying to sort out and if anyone had to deal with it I'd like to hear your opinion !

How would I Ship/travel that thing over to Europe ? Considering lithium battery with its size of 1500wh.  I called FedEx and they told me I need to tell them UN number ( it is 4 numbers ) which should be marked directly on the battery . If anyone knows that number or knows best way to travel with it overseas I'd like to have a feedback for it ! Thanks !!!

* PS. I'm European coming to the US for 7 months and I would love to enjoy riding the electric unicycle !

• Upvote 1

Just spoke with FedEx. They told me as long as battery doesn't have any liquids in it it should be fine to ship it ... So, they're isn't any right, haha ? 

Cost to London would be $750  and Easter Europe I checked for Estonia it was $1400 , holy shit .. 

Now gonna look in to the shipping companies to find the reasonable priced one..  by the way I mentioned the weight of the package which should be about 51-52 lbs. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Sergei Muhhin said:

Just spoke with FedEx. They told me as long as battery doesn't have any liquids in it it should be fine to ship it ... So, they're isn't any right, haha ? 

Cost to London would be $750  and Easter Europe I checked for Estonia it was $1400 , holy shit .. 

Now gonna look in to the shipping companies to find the reasonable priced one..  by the way I mentioned the weight of the package which should be about 51-52 lbs. 

I wonder how companies such as Speedyfeet can ship (FedEx) wheels from Britain to Southern California for well under $100?

I am not sure it is costing Speedyfeet $100 to ship wheels Fedex from the UK. It probably cost additional monies but I think he is eating some of the cost but has enough margin to make it worthwhile. I have been looking into shipping my wheel to Cali for the LA EUC games and I have a preferred Fedex shipping account from my business and it is probably going to cost me  close $100 each way to and from Colorado. 

• Like 1

It might make sense to ship a wheel without batteries so the heavy part is a normal package, and ship the batteries separately. At least if you want to follow all the rules.

Still think those insane prices can't be right.

-

36 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I wonder how companies such as Speedyfeet can ship (FedEx) wheels from Britain to Southern California for well under $100?

By pretending it's a normal package and not something with Li ion batteries? Did you ever see those standard battery stickers/labels on the shipping box? Do Jason's boxes have them? Wheel boxes from Ali?

Plus bulk pricing for those "regular" packages. $100 for a 25kg package seems normal.

My guess how everyone does it:)

2 hours ago, Rotciv said:

It should be UN 3091. Please share your cost for shipping with FedEx

The full list I found:

• UN 3480 Li ion batteries alone
  • UN 3481 Li ion batteries built into a device or packaged with a device
  • UN 3090 Li metal batteries alone
  • UN 3091 Li metal batteries built into a device or packaged with a device

("Battery" means an assembled pack, not loose cells. There might be some other rules for those.)

I believe "our" EUC batteries count as UN 348X. There also seem to be two different labels and you have to use the one for >100Wh. The >100Wh one (applies to both UN 348X and 309X):

C9A01.jpg

Nobody hold me to that:whistling:

Edited by meepmeepmayer

40 minutes ago, Graniteone said:

I am not sure it is costing Speedyfeet $100 to ship wheels Fedex from the UK. It probably cost additional monies but I think he is eating some of the cost but has enough margin to make it worthwhile. I have been looking into shipping my wheel to Cali for the LA EUC games and I have a preferred Fedex shipping account from my business and it is probably going to cost me  close $100 each way to and from Colorado. 

I added some cost for inflation. When I bought my Monster from Speedyfeet, 2-1/2 years ago, my shipping cost was $50. Like you say, he probably kicked in some dollars too. But compare that to $1400! You would think even non-preferred rates would be cheaper.

Hey @Lutalo, you shipped a wheel to Europe. I forget the details. What did it cost you and how did you do it? This may help @Sergei Muhhin

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I would think it would cost much more than $100 to ship a wheel from England to California. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

I would think it would cost much more than $100 to ship a wheel from England to California. 

I know. But I bought 3-wheels from Speedyfeet and shipping was always cheap. And it only took 5-days to get to me.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I added some cost for inflation. When I bought my Monster from Speedyfeet, 2-1/2 years ago, my shipping cost was $50. Like you say, he probably kicked in some dollars too. But compare that to $1400! You would think even non-preferred rates would be cheaper.

Hey @Lutalo, you shipped a wheel to Europe. I forget the details. What did it cost you and how did you do it? This may help @Sergei Muhhin

I shipped the 18L to and from France as a personal item. The round-trip  literally costed me the price of another wheel. I call it my 18L the most expensive EUC on earth for that reason. 

My recommendation regarding shipping a wheel to Europe for personal use is don't do it; Muito Cara. :cry2:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I shipped the 18L to and from France as a personal item. The round-trip  literally costed me the price of another wheel. I call it my 18L the most expensive EUC on earth for that reason. 

My recommendation regarding shipping a wheel to Europe for personal use is don't do it; Muito Cara. :cry2:

It's probably cheaper to buy a wheel where you're going to use it and when done, sell it.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I know. But I bought 3-wheels from Speedyfeet and shipping was always cheap. And it only took 5-days to get to me.

I’d love to buy one from him. He’s great. Is he on here?

3 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I’d love to buy one from him. He’s great. Is he on here?

No. Ian isn't much into social media

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, has anyone got any suggestions on how to proceed?

I ordered a Gorway Monster for a holiday I am currently on in Finland with the intention of shipping the wheel back home to Australia when done. As it is I'll be leaving Finland in 8 days and am finding it utterly impossible to workout how to get this wheel home.

Dimensions of the box is 28cm x 62cm x 69cm and the bugger weighs in at a hefty 30kg and of course contains a 2400 WH battery, 😖

6 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

So, has anyone got any suggestions on how to proceed?

I ordered a Gorway Monster for a holiday I am currently on in Finland with the intention of shipping the wheel back home to Australia when done. As it is I'll be leaving Finland in 8 days and am finding it utterly impossible to workout how to get this wheel home.

Dimensions of the box is 28cm x 62cm x 69cm and the bugger weighs in at a hefty 30kg and of course contains a 2400 WH battery, 😖

I would contact some of the courier firms and ask. Maybe even put on a slow boat. Could be few hundred euros but their business is to solve your problem. 

Otherwise you’ll just have to leave it to us finns to take care of it when you’re gone, we don’t mind. :thumbup: (would be lovely to test it)

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 9:59 PM, Sergei Muhhin said:

PS. I'm European coming to the US for 7 months and I would love to enjoy riding the electric unicycle !

Try convincing a member here to rent you one.

Just inventing numbers on the spot here, but if you can get a decent wheel (dunno, MSuper3, KS18S or sth like that. Good but not the latest and greatest) that already has some scrapes and bruises from someone and you would pay them $400 for those 7 months it will be cheaper for you than both way shipping + the hassle + maybe having to disassemble the wheel to ship batteries separately + they get $400 + if the wheel isn't in pristine condition you don't have to stress about it that much (which doesn't mean you should take it off roading on very bad terrain. Keep it reasonable). That's $57 / month. What transportation will cost you $57 / month when you rent it? That's what a car costs a day :D 

12 hours ago, UniVehje said:

I would contact some of the courier firms and ask.

Any idea who to ask? I've been searching for days but just can't find anyone to take it.

I'm in Riihimäki (11130) but would have no problem getting the wheel into Helsinki if need be, I just can't seem to work out where to take it. And sea freight would be ideal as I'm more than happy to weight a few weeks for it to arrive in Australia and would prefer not to have to "sneak" the batteries through undeclared, I just can't find a way to do it: 😖

24 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Any idea who to ask?

Try this: https://www.shipit.fi you can get a quote from several companies. You'll also find ideas of different companies. E.g. UPS also has online form that you can fill https://www.ups.com/fi/fi/shipping.page

These are in Finnish, maybe you can find english pages or ask for help (assuming you don't know Finnish). I would search for DHL, Fedex, TNT, UPS etc. 

13 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Try this: https://www.shipit.fi you can get a quote from several companies. You'll also find ideas of different companies. E.g. UPS also has online form that you can fill https://www.ups.com/fi/fi/shipping.page

These are in Finnish, maybe you can find english pages or ask for help (assuming you don't know Finnish). I would search for DHL, Fedex, TNT, UPS etc. 

Cool, thanks for that. I'll have my buddy look at it with me.

• 6 months later...